Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Bonaventure posted:

what immediately came to mind reading this claim was Petronius' Satyricon, LXII, bad translation mine:

Intellexi illum versipellem* esse, nec postea cum illo panem gustare potui, non si me occidisses.
Then I understood him to be a [werewolf],* nor after that could I sit down to dinner with him, not even if you killed me.

*literally, "skin-turner" with the sense of "skin-changer," which I should think is close enough to "shape-shifter"

i'm sure that most cultures actually have a word or phrase that translates to something equally banal with regard to their own 'shape-shifters.'
The English 'werewolf' itself has a disputed etymology but my understanding is that it likely means literally "big/dangerous wolf." No proper nouns needed.

Werewolf comes from man-wolf. Skin changer is absolutely not the same thing as shapeshifter in the same way that skin-walkers are not the same thing as shapeshifters. They mean different things. Isn't the Satyricon satire not descriptive of any Roman myths? It's pretty disingenuous to compare actual myths with a satirical novel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Sampatrick posted:

Werewolf comes from man-wolf. Skin changer is absolutely not the same thing as shapeshifter in the same way that skin-walkers are not the same thing as shapeshifters. They mean different things.

did you forget that you posted this, and that this is what i am responding to?

Sampatrick posted:

Well, the reason why they're not called shapeshifters, you see, is because calling them shapeshifters would be boring. Note that no culture in history calls something a shapeshifter, they have names for the things that do the act of shapeshifting. D'ivers is absolutely a stupid name but calling them shapeshifters would have been just as stupid.

there is no material difference between using the English word 'shapeshifter' to refer to something that changes its shape and Latin-speakers calling something with the same concept a "skin-changer." They are equally "boring," merely descriptive of what the figure does (change its appearence) and hell even the English usage of the word 'shapeshifter' disproves your assertion that no culture in history uses boring literal terms for these figures!

The vir-wolf / man-wolf etymology is extremely doubtful but you seem to miss that even if true it also contradicts what you're saying. We don't call them "Lycans" no matter how many Underworld movies get made: these figures have 'boring,' uncapitalized nouns that actually just describe them.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

You are going to have a hard time when we start talking about the prose and characters in these books.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Bonaventure posted:

there is no material difference between using the English word 'shapeshifter' to refer to something that changes its shape and Latin-speakers calling something with the same concept a "skin-changer." They are equally "boring" and hell even the English usage of the word 'shapeshifter' disproves your assertion that no culture in history uses boring literal terms for these figures!

As an aside, yes there is. They are different things and have vastly different cultural meanings. But you are absolutely right that I was exaggerating when I said that actual cultures don't use the explicit phrase shapeshifter to refer to the concept. I don't think it's incredibly common and you're being kinda nitpicky but w/e.

[quote]The vir-wolf / man-wolf etymology is extremely doubtful but you seem to miss that even if true it also contradicts what you're saying. We don't call them "Lycans" no matter how many Underworld movies get made: these figures have 'boring,' uncapitalized nouns that actually just describe them.[/quote

The word werewolf absolutely comes from the conjunction of man and wolf. There are other germanic myths that came earlier and do not come from that etymology but they're not really relevant.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Sarern posted:

You are going to have a hard time when we start talking about the prose and characters in these books.

Remember when I said earlier that the prose is poo poo

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Sampatrick posted:

The word werewolf absolutely comes from the conjunction of man and wolf. There are other germanic myths that came earlier and do not come from that etymology but they're not really relevant.

Looks like my sources for that were out of date, sorry!
I'm right about the rest.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Soletaken is very much a culture neutral word like shapeshifter. The dark elf king from the moon and the human necromancers are both called Soletaken despite turning into a dragon and crows respectively. This isn't the Navajo skinwalkers where the skinwalkers are associated with cannibalism but the Japanese toads Ninjad are not.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
I’m confused. Were-wolf = man-wolf is not using common language to describe a human being that changes into a wolf? And the argument that naming things plainly in fantasy books is boring writing isn’t silly and wrong? Is it Opposite Day again?

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Antivehicular posted:

Seamless as oil, silent as maggots
Plausible as kitchens.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Plausible as kitchens.

boring as shapeshifters

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
not as boring as dragons, though

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Soletaken is very much a culture neutral word like shapeshifter. The dark elf king from the moon and the human necromancers are both called Soletaken despite turning into a dragon and crows respectively. This isn't the Navajo skinwalkers where the skinwalkers are associated with cannibalism but the Japanese toads Ninjad are not.

This is true and one of the worst elements of Malazan

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Bringing it back to genre, I've been thinking of the contrast between Lieber & Rothfuss, where Qvothe skips over a bunch of his history sailing around with pirates and doing what sounds like a bunch of potentially interesting poo poo. It ends up sticking out like a sore thumb because he's supposed to be this amazing heroic guy, and lots of pirate adventure stuff sounds like it would have some Story Reasons for him being hero man, and wait, we don't get to hear any of it and suddenly hes a boring student. Whoops actually none of the stuff he has cool fantasy names for has happened yet. It was all just Rothfuss going, "Dude, what if your year before college was like, a pirate adventure??" before he took another big bong rip and passed it to his editor.

If I remember it correctly Fafhrd & the Mouser sail clear across the world and then out of it into the land of Death, and between Newhon and Death Lieber makes it clear that the two had all kinds of interesting adventures and scrapes. The omission doesn't bother me at all, though, and just serves to enhance the story - the two men did all sorts of stuff I want to know about, but that isn't as important as entering the land of DEATH and staring him down face-to-face to try and win back their lives and souls. The serial nature of Lieber's work helps a little, because hey, maybe I'll get to hear some of those stories another time, but I suppose that there's no reason that can't apply to qvothes neverending story as well.

anyways Fritz Lieber is cool and good no milkshake duck plz

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
p sure if its more than one crow hes d'ivers

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Sampatrick posted:

This is true and one of the worst elements of Malazan

The worst element of Malazan is the name Malazan. It is the essence of artless fantasy gobbledygook naming. It's so flat, it sounds like an American D&D player who has read lots of fanfic and zero history had five seconds to think something up the spot.

I have never actually touched the books purely based on my irrational hatred of that name.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

Strategic Tea posted:

The worst element of Malazan is the name Malazan. It is the essence of artless fantasy gobbledygook naming. It's so flat, it sounds like an American D&D player who has read lots of fanfic and zero history had five seconds to think something up the spot.

I have never actually touched the books purely based on my irrational hatred of that name.

You made the right decision!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Strategic Tea posted:

When I added an extra apostrophe to the Malazan thread title, it took several months for anyone to even notice.

The DPRK
Nov 18, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Is there any difference between a human that can turn into a dragon and a dragon that can turn into a man?

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The DPRK posted:

Is there any difference between a human that can turn into a dragon and a dragon that can turn into a man?

sure. the human could be a woman

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
https://www.instagram.com/p/BwKuuTAH9UY/

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

midichlorians?

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

The DPRK posted:

Well since Mel has proven that anything can be a dragon, including butterflies, Li Po says the answer is that all endeavor is ultimately futile.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The DPRK posted:

One of them has a single buff arm

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
gene wolfe has died and is now ablaze, in hell

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

chernobyl kinsman posted:

this post may be in bad taste

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
much like gene wolfe's oeuvre

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

chernobyl kinsman posted:

That is pretty bad taste.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I am not sure what his last words were, but they were probably overlong and tedious

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I am not sure what his last words were, but they were probably overlong and tedious

NO YOU ARE FINISHED NOW. PUT DOWN THE LAPTOP. SERIOUSLY. I HAVE THINGS TO DO.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

writing your own epitaph in advance i see

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A human heart posted:

writing your own epitaph in advance i see

:drat:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
gently caress

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Before the Labyrinthine Lore of 'Dark Souls,' There Was Gene Wolfe

quote:

When someone recommends his The Book of the New Sun or The Fifth Head of Cerberus to you, they’re imparting a curse.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

:hmmyes:

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I clicked on this link and it served me an ad for men’s underwear with separate compartments for wang and balls. It is a cursed link

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

I clicked on this link and it served me an ad for men’s underwear with separate compartments for wang and balls. It is a cursed link

the Dark Souls of underwear

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
Bark Goals, written by Spleen Tolfe

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

"Once you pop, you just can't..."

"Gene? Can't what? Can't what!?"

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I was watching a documentary on Oscar Wilde over Easter, and it struck me how very little it had to say about his work or why it was good. Just a bundle of gushing praise and bland platitudes, barely better than "it's the dark souls of citizen kane". I can't help but feel Mudkiper and co are always going to be swimming uphill in promoting critical analysis of ANY book, not just genre, when this is the level of discourse people are exposed to.

Are there any good essays on the state of modern criticism? Or at least, the criticism that the general public experiences.

Edit: also Malazan dragons are terrifying semi-hive-minded that tend to go insane when faced with their own individuality. They're so destructive that they've had to be literally and metaphoricall shackled by rival gods. Also the final book has a dragon made of dragons.

It also has magic acorns that fill the same "magical WMD" niche as dragons. Mel would approve.

Strom Cuzewon fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Apr 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Are there any good essays on the state of modern criticism? Or at least, the criticism that the general public experiences.

J_RBG posted:

Somewhat related, I enjoyed this article about the state of american literary criticism

quote:

In December, Columbia Journalism Review published an item by Sam Eichner under the headline “What’s Behind a Recent Rise in Books Coverage?” The answer was a quest for web traffic. The editors Eichner quoted celebrated the bright new modes. There would be more recommendations. There would be more rankings. There would be more online book clubs. Instagram would be harnessed. There would still be criticism but fewer “traditional” reviews. Readers want to be served in the way fans are served. Books should be treated in the manner of movies or television shows, as occasions for collective chatter, as storehouses of shareable trivia, and once in a while as containers of detachable ideas. The overall vision was that of literary journalism as a form of higher publicity. In keeping with that spirit (the spirit of the flack), Eichner channeled his interviewees—editors from the New York Times, New York magazine, BuzzFeed, and The Atlantic, touting their own publications, trying to justify their editorial decisions and keep their jobs—and explained the recent rise in books coverage:

quote:

In some ways, mainstream book coverage is coming down from its historically lofty perch to join the rest of arts coverage, catering less to the intelligentsia and more to the casual reader, who may not be interested in literary fiction or nonfiction. With so much to watch and read and listen to—and so many people chiming in on what to watch and read and listen to—it’s no surprise readers are hungering for a trusted source who can point them in the direction of books tailored to their interests. And those same readers may be looking for the kind of full-court, blogosphere press typically reserved for watercooler shows like Sharp Objects and meme machines like A Star Is Born.

Here a consumerist vision of reading is presented as a form of anti-­elitism. The quaint use of “intelligentsia” suggests a suspect class of self-regarding intellectuals with an echo of Cold War red-baiting. And then a fantastic fictional character: the casual reader who disdains literary books but is eager for, say, the New York Times to tell her which nonliterary books to read when she isn’t busy watching HBO or listening to podcasts. And what does “full-court, blogosphere press” describe but hastily written, barely edited, cheap, and utterly disposable online jetsam? Such is the nature of the new “books coverage.” I was aware of the trend. Two months before Eichner’s story ran, my contract to review books at New York magazine was dropped. I had been told that although its books coverage would be expanding, what I did—book reviews—had “little value.”

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 24, 2019