Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Shmii Skywalker wasn’t a queen.

Rey is not ‘genetically superior’ because she’s a Skywalker (Anakin wasn’t a king either) but because she has the same psychic mutation as Yoda, Mace Windu, and Snoke.

So you're saying they're X-Men?

If Midichlorians are a thing, and it's assumed they can be passed from parent to child, then surely those who possess an abundance of strength in the force (and thus a high Midichlorian count?) will be genetically superior in the use of it and you dont get much more powerful than Anakin whose dad was literally the force.

It's clearly a hereditary thing because you dont see Obi Wan saying to Luke "oh your dad was a powerful Jedi but you might not have any powers whatsoever because genes have nothing to do with it", he knows Luke will be a powerful Jedi because his father was one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Or Obi-Wan knows he can make Luke a powerful Jedi regardless.

Midichlorians are misunderstood by fans just as they were misunderstood by the Jedi.

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Shmii Skywalker wasn’t a queen.

The parents of the founder of a royal line are never royalty themselves

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Just Chamber posted:

Please don’t leak marvel phase 4 plans

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

s.i.r.e. posted:

No, I never saw them in the OT until after this. Are they always in the cockpit scenes? I have no clue.

They are't visible at all in most shots of the cockpit because of the angle / framing. The other time you see them is when Chewie is the only one in the cockpit and bumps into them.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Daddy Thanos posted:

The parents of the founder of a royal line are never royalty themselves
They often retroactively are

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Just Chamber posted:

Correct. That’s been the plot of Star Wars since Phantom Menace. It’s a random mutation.

The only difference is that the mutants in X-Men start making GBS threads atomic laser beams the moment they hit puberty, while the mutants in Star Wars need tons of extensive training just to pull off rudimentary tricks. The population of the galaxy is full of mutants, across pretty much every species, but the vast majority are never trained - so they go through life with slightly-better-than-average reflexes or whatever.

There was never any indication that Yoda and Darth Maul came from special families. Even if they had, they were nothing without the training.

Rey was special in TFA because her particular random mutation is so ridiculously powerful that she doesn’t even need training. Her parentage was never important except to fans.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 21, 2019

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

There was never any indication that Yoda and Darth Maul came from special families. Even if they had, they were nothing without the training.

The jedi in particular make an active effort to prevent force bloodlines from becoming a thing, with their rules against attachment/marriage.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I feel like the wizards and witches in Harry Potter are actually a better comparison since:

1) They function similar to the Jedi in that the magic powers are both random and mostly inheritable
2) Like the Jedi, in story terms, the Wizards represent the fantasy that there is forgotten old world magic whereas
3) The X-men and mutants represent the fantasy that there is something unique and magical about your generation and the olds are just scared of it

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Arc Light posted:

The jedi in particular make an active effort to prevent force bloodlines from becoming a thing, with their rules against attachment/marriage.

The rule is against emotional attachments, not against “force bloodlines”. That’s something you made up.

Again, even if Obiwan had 15 kids, those kids would have no real special abilities without training. Also, Obiwan could just... not feel attached to them.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Whoolighams posted:

I had nearly this exact same experience. They finally got to the Falcon when I realized, gently caress, I'm an hour in waiting for this movie to get out of first gear, I'm done.

Also the sucking charisma-wound that is Emilia Clarke. Whatever the Exile is in KOTOR2 to the force, she is to cinematic watchability.

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

AlternateAccount posted:

Also the sucking charisma-wound that is Emilia Clarke. Whatever the Exile is in KOTOR2 to the force, she is to cinematic watchability.

It's because she had an aneurysm

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Solo is a movie where no specific moment or performance is cringingly, backbreakingly bad, it’s just a movie that is devoid of redeeming qualities. It’s not lovely per se, it just looks and tastes like dirt.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The memory of Solo actively attempts to escape your brain at every opportunity, and honestly there's no reason to stop it going

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Solo is pretty good, not the most memorable, but it's at least not the painful, theatrical misery that is Rogue One or TLJ.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PriorMarcus posted:

The reason why Anakin's saber, the dice, the Falcoln and droids like BB8 are being pushed forward in the branding is because they won't age, die, turn out to be a child molester or demand more money like actors will.

20 years from now you can make a Star Wars film that's recognisable because the Falcon and Anakin's lightsabre are in, but you can cast whoever you want.

Whoa Woah buddy don't you know?

Sexist.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

s.i.r.e. posted:

Solo is pretty good, not the most memorable, but it's at least not the painful, theatrical misery that is Rogue One or TLJ.

Solo is like distilled sadness. I don’t know what you’re on about.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You ever seen someone order a well done cheeseburger at a nice restaurant? That’s Solo. The cooks made it, and it was probably fairly good! Then the person who ordered it saw that pink, and sent it back to be roasted into a shoe.

Solo: The saddest cheeseburger.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Solo was like a poor man's Guardians of the Galaxy

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I don’t remember any joke in Solo that was funny or any action setpiece that was even a little fun.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

Captain Splendid posted:

Solo was like a poor man's Guardians of the Galaxy

No, that's Suicide Squad.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

Solo is like distilled sadness. I don’t know what you’re on about.

Rogue One is at least beautiful in spots. Solo had like one good shot and it was Lando sitting at a table.

edit"

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

You ever seen someone order a well done cheeseburger at a nice restaurant? That’s Solo. The cooks made it, and it was probably fairly good! Then the person who ordered it saw that pink, and sent it back to be roasted into a shoe.

:hmmyes:

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

CelticPredator posted:

i dont think it was ever a good burger. like from the start it was an applebees piece of poo poo salt patty. there just wasnt that much to work with.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I mean Solo ain't no Caravan of Courage but it's a movie I've sat down and enjoyed a couple of times already on Netflix.

Don't take your Star Wars too seriously, nerf herders.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
That's part of the fun tho

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

s.i.r.e. posted:

Every Disney Star War has suffered massive amounts of studio tinkering, on the level of infamous productions like Suicide Squad - but Rogue One survived with only minor first-act pacing issues, whereas Force Awakens had its protagonist edited out, along with the associated narrative.

Solo got hosed worse than any of them; even its plot changes drastically from shot to shot. It’s in no way “pretty good”. That points to massively reduced standards.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Why would you order a cheeseburger at a nice restaurant, get a steak or a pork chop. Burgers are bar food.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Every Disney Star War has suffered massive amounts of studio tinkering, on the level of infamous productions like Suicide Squad - but Rogue One survived with only minor first-act pacing issues, whereas Force Awakens had its protagonist edited out, along with the associated narrative.

Solo got hosed worse than any of them; even its plot changes drastically from shot to shot. It’s in no way “pretty good”. That points to massively reduced standards.

Did you get r1/force awakens typed backwards here or am I missing something

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

mastershakeman posted:

Did you get r1/force awakens typed backwards here or am I missing something

Force Awakens was written and filmed with FN-2187 as the protagonist. It was then heavily reshot and edited to make FN into a comic relief character, and then a minor subplot about Leia searching for Luke was made into the main plot of the film. There are a ton of issues that resulted - like multiple things being set up as plot twists despite already being explained in earlier dialogue scenes.

Rogue One was reshot mainly to tone down the protagonist’s radicalism, but there are no major issues with the resulting narrative, except that the tank ambush scene was clearly censored to some extent.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

It was then heavily reshot

No, it loving wasn't, and you need to stop beating this drum of fan-fiction in your head.

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

Timby posted:

No, it loving wasn't, and you need to stop beating this drum of fan-fiction in your head.

Wait he just made that up? Lol. It would have been a better movie with FN as the protagonist tho

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I don't know if the stuff about re-editing Finn is at all accurate, but I am fairly certain that The Force Awakens was at least heavily recut, if not reshot. Like, wasn't there a whole sequence involving a Resistance super-weapon of some kind in the original version? And Maz Kanata originally came along with the Resistance to Takodana, as demonstrated by the lightsaber handover between her and Leia in the second teaser.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

ruddiger posted:

Why would you order a cheeseburger at a nice restaurant, get a steak or a pork chop. Burgers are bar food.

Change of pace or happy hour type of thing. The greatest burgers I've had have been at 4/5 star restaurants sitting at the bar at happy hour.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Poe was supposed to die in that crash. Then they rewrote it to keep him going I think is what SMG means.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

cargohills posted:

I don't know if the stuff about re-editing Finn is at all accurate, but I am fairly certain that The Force Awakens was at least heavily recut, if not reshot. Like, wasn't there a whole sequence involving a Resistance super-weapon of some kind in the original version? And Maz Kanata originally came along with the Resistance to Takodana, as demonstrated by the lightsaber handover between her and Leia in the second teaser.

Yep, and that cut super weapon plot is supposedly where they're sourcing the footage of Leia for episode 9.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Timby posted:

It’s actually fairly extensively documented.

For example, reshoots were conducted to remove a subplot with a character called Constable Zuvio. The scenes where Zuvio was to appear were merged with a later sequence where Rey first meets FN. There are tons of major continuity errors as a result here, and the characters’ mouths usually don’t match their dialogue. Boyega’s dialogue is frequently just muted. (The reported rationale behind these reshoots is that Boyega didn’t have ‘good chemistry’ with his costar.)

That’s just one example.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Timby posted:

Hell, the TFA commentary tracks alone have JJ talking about reshoots and changes, even before you get into the obvious things like interviews, BTS stuff and like, things you can tell from watching the films

Daddy Thanos
Mar 28, 2019

by R. Guyovich

It’s actually fairly extensively documented.

For example, reshoots were conducted to remove a subplot with a character called Constable Zuvio. The scenes where Zuvio was to appear were merged with a later sequence where Rey first meets FN. There are tons of major continuity errors as a result here, and the characters’ mouths usually don’t match their dialogue. Boyega’s dialogue is frequently just muted. (The reported rationale behind these reshoots is that Boyega didn’t have ‘good chemistry’ with his costar.)

That’s just one example.

Can you make a video with all the evidence for this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

CelticPredator posted:

RO and TLJ is the Chef popping a squat right on your table and heaving out a huge poo poo right in front of you all over your plate and he doesn't stop for 2 hours.

I'll take the sad Cheeseburger.