Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

fun fact, that isn't a looping gif. but after 25 minutes you get a £10 money shot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
So is the biggest story on Tuesday when everyone goes back to work going to be about how the Tories are a domestic child sexual abuse network and that the secret services and press allowed it to happen?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Imagine having a government where not only can a noted pedarest find a position, but where he can outright say "I'm a noted pedarest" and be confident he'll not get the boot, let alone prison.

Like I admit, I've been naive, I figured that as reprehensible as I find the Tories as a whole, they would still draw the line somewhere above child sexual abuse. :psyduck:

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Wait, more tory pedo news?

wow i could have picked a better moment to make that page snipe

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Ratjaculation posted:

Batter mix isn't bourgy!!!

otoh trying to one-up each other over the quality of your roast recipes/menu is bourgy as gently caress.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ms Adequate posted:

Imagine having a government where not only can a noted pedarest find a position, but where he can outright say "I'm a noted pedarest" and be confident he'll not get the boot, let alone prison.

Like I admit, I've been naive, I figured that as reprehensible as I find the Tories as a whole, they would still draw the line somewhere above child sexual abuse. :psyduck:

They're literally the party of institutional noncery.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

EmptyVessel posted:

otoh trying to one-up each other over the quality of your roast recipes/menu is bourgy as gently caress.

the sunday roast is proletarian as gently caress

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
You can use a roux or just beurre manié, where you mix equal parts flour and butter by hand and toss in bit by bit to thicken gravy. Or use arrowroot.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Rust Martialis posted:

You can use a roux or just beurre manié, where you mix equal parts flour and butter by hand and toss in bit by bit to thicken gravy. Or use arrowroot.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

OwlFancier posted:

They're literally the party of institutional noncery.

Yeah, I know. :sigh: I just hoped there might be... SOME limit... or at least a degree of circumspection

I guess he did claim to be "very discreet" but I don't know if that's really true given that he said out loud to another human person he's a noted pedarest. Then again, I guess it was enough to keep it quiet enough to avoid repercussions for loving decades so

Just want y'all to take a minute sit right there think about the next week's media if it came out that this all happened in Harold Wilson or Jim Callaghan's cabinet instead.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

DesperateDan posted:

And gherkins too, and I have had that served in a pub so it's not just our two houses

Yay!

Whereabouts do you live?

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

the sunday roast is proletarian as gently caress

If you can afford to eat a roast dinner every week you are doing better than an awful lot of people are.
Genuinely interested in seeing a citation for the Sunday roast being proletarian in origin, because I'm not seeing it.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Total Meatlove posted:

So is the biggest story on Tuesday when everyone goes back to work going to be about how the Tories are a domestic child sexual abuse network and that the secret services and press allowed it to happen?
While checking for other sources other than a website I've never heard of on the story (there are many, it's legit), I found that people were writing about Morrison being a paedo and Thatcher letting it slide at least four years ago. It'll get the same amount of traction now as then: ie, none, being drowned out by Wow It's Hot, Corbyn Hates Jews and Brexit Brexit Brexit.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wait is it literally the thatcher thing again?

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

EmptyVessel posted:

If you can afford to eat a roast dinner every week you are doing better than an awful lot of people are.
Genuinely interested in seeing a citation for the Sunday roast being proletarian in origin, because I'm not seeing it.

What is expensive about a roast dinner? The veg is pennies and you can buy a whole chicken for less than 3 quid. Yeah I know that many people are struggling, but let's not try and pretend a roast dinner is some sort of indulgent luxury.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Roasts are really cheap for 4+ people. Unless you try some fancy meat that isn't chicken.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

EmptyVessel posted:

working families could buy a small joint of meat and basically eat it for the rest of the week. It's actual old-timey working class culture and not some kind of super bourg thing.

https://www.1900s.org.uk/1900s-cooking.htm
https://www.hslc.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/123-8-Schofield.pdf

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Or a turkey leg, which are generally very cheap out of season.

The real benefit of a roast is it gives you a good chunk of meat stock to do your veg in and make gravy with.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
"Sunday dinners are the height of bourgeoisie luxury" is certainly a loving take. :v:

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Also a chunk of the stuff for a roast would be stuff you could grow in your own garden, back when people had veg patches, I suppose.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Pilchenstein posted:

"Sunday dinners are the height of bourgeoisie luxury" is certainly a loving take. :v:

Don't worry, we're getting there

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Yeah I mean, these days they might be approaching that. People in poverty and also lots more people lack basic cooking skills these days.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Yeah things are bad and I'm just saying that the origins of the Sunday roast are working class so gently caress anyone who thinks they're fundamentally bourgeois

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

what about lobster though

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
I once had lobster mousse at a wedding at an Oxford college. It was gross

E: it was a free bar so I did class war by drinking a lot and vomiting all over myself

ContinuityNewTimes fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Apr 21, 2019

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

baka kaba posted:

Used to be for poors, now it's for bourgs, presumably because us trans are loving fantastic and command the highest pay :v:

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I recall once having lobster and thinking "this doesn't taste like anything". Is that normal or was it bad lobster?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've eaten lobster once at the magpie in whitby. It was nice but it was lobster thermidor so it has piles of cheese on it and I couldn't entirely see the point?

It tastes like a really big prawn.

Also their calamari was horrible, like eating rubber bands.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

baka kaba posted:

it's

I've never understood the appeal. Looks gross, messy, fiddly work to eat, doesn't taste of much, expensive af

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Smack Lobster Roll on Dean Street is nice of you fancy a slightly expensive lunch in central London.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It'd probably be nicer if they took the edible bits out for you rather than giving you the whole thing so you can dissect it yourself.

Like mate I'm paying you to feed me I appreciate the thought but I'd rather have my dinner hot than spray chunks of it everywhere trying to get the edible bits out. Same with tiger prawns.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
My wife sucks the brains out of prawns and claims it's the best bit. I know that logically if I'm gonna eat the rest of the prawn I shouldn't balk at it, but bleugh it's nasty

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I've never eaten it because I'm a lifelong vegetarian but seafood is loving disgusting. Fish smells awful and anything seafood that's not fish is either some kind of alien or an insect. No thanks.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

working families could buy a small joint of meat and basically eat it for the rest of the week. It's actual old-timey working class culture and not some kind of super bourg thing.

https://www.1900s.org.uk/1900s-cooking.htm
https://www.hslc.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/123-8-Schofield.pdf

Your first link says it's a working class diet, but on the same website this page makes it pretty clear that the diet they're talking about was for the better off of the working class.
That second link is pretty out of date - this paper from last year on Victorian diet says that the urban poor especially had a far more restricted diet, while even the better fed rural poor weren't getting to eat that much meat.
I think that the perception of the Sunday roast as "actual old-timey working class culture" involves buying into a view of Jolly Olde England that owes more to Victorian romanticism than actual history.

Pilchenstein posted:

Some of us are making do on under £5000 a year mate (after rent before all else). Sorry to bother your self-image as the underclass, though I see no claim for "the height of bourgeoisie luxury" here.

WhatEvil posted:

Yeah I mean, these days they might be approaching that. People in poverty and also lots more people lack basic cooking skills these days.
This guy gets it, though as the oldest child of three with both parents working late I learned to cook pretty early so it's poverty not lack of kitchen skills.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
More people should eat insects.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

WhatEvil posted:

I've never eaten it because I'm a lifelong vegetarian but seafood is loving disgusting. Fish smells awful and anything seafood that's not fish is either some kind of alien or an insect. No thanks.

If it smells bad that means it's off, OP.

Fish smell is decomposition, basically. It's something to do with the bacteria that live in them which multiply after death, fresh fish smells of very little and has a much nicer flavour.

If you can't get it fresh I would suggest getting it smoked, which is different but still nice. Just old fish is pretty mank yeah.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

WhatEvil posted:

I used to live near a fishing village, and holy gently caress the smell of rotten sea food on hot days.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

OwlFancier posted:

If it smells bad that means it's off, OP.

Fish smell is decomposition, basically. It's something to do with the bacteria that live in them which multiply after death, fresh fish smells of very little and has a much nicer flavour.

If you can't get it fresh I would suggest getting it smoked, which is different but still nice. Just old fish is pretty mank yeah.

Yeah I am aware of that but in my mind I can't decouple that smell (which the fish counter at supermarkets always loving reeks of) from the food. That said I have had "vegan fish" at a vegan "fish" and chip shop in Sydney while on holiday and it was really nice. My wife said it was somewhat convincingly like fish.

Lol though smoked fish. When my wife and I had not been together that long and she still ate meat, she bought a smoked haddock risotto ready meal from a supermarket and microwaved it. Fffffff that smelled rank and so strong, I generally like smoked foods but dunno how anybody can eat that.

In other news:

https://twitter.com/oldweirdbritain/status/1119979100054130688?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I grant that my sense of smell>food might be a bit weird given that cow poo poo makes me hungry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Don't try prolier than thou in here over a loving roast dinner- all the ingredients bar the meat are literally pennies or easily grown

Be in here telling me that chips, a battered soss and curry sauce is posh at this rate

WhatEvil posted:

Yay!

Whereabouts do you live?

Essex, but the pub that served it was in Horbury I think

OwlFancier posted:

Wait is it literally the thatcher thing again?

Aye I think this is the exact same stuff that has been common knowledge for a while- maybe theres another source now?