Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
If you're volume mounting it into the container, nothing gets moved. It's completely transparent. There should be nothing to gain from doing that.

Edit: Further clarification. Volume mount and bind mount are definitely different, but neither really copies stuff into the container. Also, anecdotal data has shown that volume mount performance is slightly higher than bind mount.

G-Prime fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EpicCodeMonkey
Feb 19, 2011

G-Prime posted:

If you're volume mounting it into the container, nothing gets moved. It's completely transparent. There should be nothing to gain from doing that.

I'm one of the wierdos that bind-mounts all the data in my containers to the host, vs. using volumes. I like to be able to easily poke around inside them to debug/edit config files over SSH or SMB, plus it makes backups easier.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

EpicCodeMonkey posted:

Re: running Plex inside Docker and the metadata crapshow, has anyone tried mounting a loopback file as the metadata directory? I'm wondering if it would have much of a performance benefit on the host. Seems better to have one enormous 10GB file on the physical disk to compress and move, vs the 100 trillion tiny files it would contain.

Wouldn't that just eventually end up with a huge, heavily fragmented file? Unless its on an SSD, but still, in that case you should care less about it.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Atomizer posted:

Wouldn't that just eventually end up with a huge, heavily fragmented file? Unless its on an SSD, but still, in that case you should care less about it.

If you preallocate it won't be fragmented on disk and easier to move around. On an ssd there won't be any speed improvement, on a rotational it depends.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Hoobastank4ever97 posted:

I actually was going to but I remember doing this with my DVD collection back in the day and it never seemed to work right. Audio would always be out of sync or programs would choke on it or something IIRC.

So here's the funny thing. I specifically googled "Daniel Tiger Plex episode name problems" and got a bunch of forum posts. I found a solution with a script called DVDOrderAgent. I was messing around in Plex for almost an hour trying to figure out why the hell it wasn't showing up before I realized I had to exit the Plex program and open it up again.

Once I changed the show's agent (under "Fix Match) to TheTVDVDdborder, it rescanned everything and it fixed it! All the episodes are now in Plex properly. The funny part? The only ones that aren't are the two episodes it recorded today :psyduck:

These aren't new episodes (it says first aired 2017) so it's not that the info isn't on TVDVD yet. I am guessing it's going to continue forward with newly-recorded episodes with the wrong information and I have no idea why. Even when I re-scan the entire show, the episodes recorded today are the only ones not properly showing up in Plex.

The two on the left are named correctly and were recorded a few days ago, the two on the right were recorded today and will not show up correctly:

What the hell

So I tried doing this by going into a TV Show and changing Episode Ordering to "DVD Order" but it didn't seem to work. Still only one episode will be reflected for a given 30 minute show. I investigated that agent and it looked like it was integrated into Plex now?

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Will Plex’s built-in encoder encode things to HEVC? I have a handful of pretty nice looking UHD HDR movies that are encoded with x265, come in at around 15-20GB, and look great on my tv. The only reason I am able to play these files is because they can direct play to my AppleTV 4K.

But the problem is that any time there is a necessary subtitle track, Plex needs to transcode to display those subtitles, and my computer isn’t strong enough to transcode these files on the fly.

So is there a way to make a “Plex version” of these files, burn in the subtitles, keep the quality at the same level, and not have the file size increase to 3-4 times the original file size?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

OldSenileGuy posted:

Will Plex’s built-in encoder encode things to HEVC? I have a handful of pretty nice looking UHD HDR movies that are encoded with x265, come in at around 15-20GB, and look great on my tv. The only reason I am able to play these files is because they can direct play to my AppleTV 4K.

But the problem is that any time there is a necessary subtitle track, Plex needs to transcode to display those subtitles, and my computer isn’t strong enough to transcode these files on the fly.

So is there a way to make a “Plex version” of these files, burn in the subtitles, keep the quality at the same level, and not have the file size increase to 3-4 times the original file size?

Is this with the normal player or the new Enhanced one?

Have you tried Infuse in case it doesn't work with either of the above, so you wouldn't have to hassle what you described?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

H110Hawk posted:

If you preallocate it won't be fragmented on disk and easier to move around. On an ssd there won't be any speed improvement, on a rotational it depends.

But I mean once you create the compressed file, it'll become fragmented on an HDD as soon as you add more content, right? All I can tell you is that PMS ran fine on an HDD, and still does on an SSD, but my installation is like 60 GB and when I back it up to an HDD it's like 400k files (or more, I don't really remember) and takes a couple hours (or whatever, I just let it run in the background.)

OldSenileGuy posted:

PMS will transcode to whatever the client supports, if necessary; because HEVC is less universally supported, this generally means my content is transcoded to AVC. HEVC is computationally demanding without hardware support, and UHD is as well, so it's very likely your CPU isn't performant enough to do so. Plex needs to transcode the video to burn in the subtitles, unfortunately, so your system can't do this in real time. Long story short, I don't think you're going to have an easy way to do what you're asking (i.e. maintain quality, burn subtitles, limit file size, do it all in real time, etc.) Believe me, I feel you man, I like HEVC, but HEVC+UHD will require a beefy CPU upgrade. The recommended course of action would be to use hardware transcoding (e.g. QuickSync if your CPU can decode that HEVC/HDR level, or else a recent GPU to do the same with NVENC.) You're going to have to sacrifice something here, like file size, quality, money, or time.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Atomizer posted:

But I mean once you create the compressed file, it'll become fragmented on an HDD as soon as you add more content, right? All I can tell you is that PMS ran fine on an HDD, and still does on an SSD, but my installation is like 60 GB and when I back it up to an HDD it's like 400k files (or more, I don't really remember) and takes a couple hours (or whatever, I just let it run in the background.)

The file itself cannot become fragmented on the disk as it is preallocated. Plex may then wind up fragmenting it a bit but it won't be nearly as noticeable on an hdd if it were mixed with the rest of the garbage on your computer.

Fragmentation is actually a much smaller problem these days than it once was due to high disk density, and smarter operating systems. It also depends highly on things like pressure on free space and data churn that isn't just re-writing data in place.

If you want to test it out, free up enough contiguous space on your disk then restore from backup. You might be surprised at how much overhead there is in network protocols just creating new files.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Is there a multi user setup like Netflix has? Pick a different user when first starting it up on my Shield? I'm sure I can logout of my account and into another, but just checking on anything easier.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

KingKapalone posted:

Is there a multi user setup like Netflix has? Pick a different user when first starting it up on my Shield? I'm sure I can logout of my account and into another, but just checking on anything easier.

Add managed users. It acts exactly like Netflix sub users, and has pin support.

There was a big discussion a page or two back.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Atomizer posted:

You're going to have to sacrifice something here, like file size, quality, money, or time.

I was hoping that time would be the only thing I would have to sacrifice (by taking the time to transcode the file beforehand), but it sounds like I'd have to sacrifice file size as well (because it wouldn't retranscode to HEVC so the resulting file would be huge), which I don't want to do.

Fortunately, I did some more research and found a dumb workaround. Maybe most people already know all this poo poo, but I didn't so I'm posting it here anyway.

There's probably more, but most of my files have one of two kinds of subtitle files - SRT or PGS. I haven't been able to get any PGS subtitles to work on these 2160p HEVC files, most likely because they are actual images (as opposed to SRT which are text files) that need to be burned into picture and my PC is not beefy enough to do that on the fly. I thought I was having the same problem with the SRT subtitles, but eventually found out that is not the case.

I use Plex on my AppleTV4K OR using the built in app on my LG tv, depending on the content. For most videos, I just use the AppleTV, but the LG tends to play nicer with HEVC files in terms of being able to skip ahead or backward or stop and resume at a specific point without buffering for 5 minutes. I'll also use the LG if my file has a DTS track because that will pass it right through to the receiver, whereas the AppleTV needs it to be transcoded to AC3.

HOWEVER, I found out that trying to play back a UHD HEVC file with SRT subtitle on the LG causes the server to transcode (which it can't do on the fly), whereas playing on the AppleTV it will still Direct Play the file even with the subtitles. So if I have a HEVC file that needs subtitles, it has to be played back on the Apple TV.

The perils of trying to be an early (?) adopter and go all in on HEVC.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

OldSenileGuy posted:

I was hoping that time would be the only thing I would have to sacrifice (by taking the time to transcode the file beforehand), but it sounds like I'd have to sacrifice file size as well (because it wouldn't retranscode to HEVC so the resulting file would be huge), which I don't want to do.

Fortunately, I did some more research and found a dumb workaround. Maybe most people already know all this poo poo, but I didn't so I'm posting it here anyway.

There's probably more, but most of my files have one of two kinds of subtitle files - SRT or PGS. I haven't been able to get any PGS subtitles to work on these 2160p HEVC files, most likely because they are actual images (as opposed to SRT which are text files) that need to be burned into picture and my PC is not beefy enough to do that on the fly. I thought I was having the same problem with the SRT subtitles, but eventually found out that is not the case.

I use Plex on my AppleTV4K OR using the built in app on my LG tv, depending on the content. For most videos, I just use the AppleTV, but the LG tends to play nicer with HEVC files in terms of being able to skip ahead or backward or stop and resume at a specific point without buffering for 5 minutes. I'll also use the LG if my file has a DTS track because that will pass it right through to the receiver, whereas the AppleTV needs it to be transcoded to AC3.

HOWEVER, I found out that trying to play back a UHD HEVC file with SRT subtitle on the LG causes the server to transcode (which it can't do on the fly), whereas playing on the AppleTV it will still Direct Play the file even with the subtitles. So if I have a HEVC file that needs subtitles, it has to be played back on the Apple TV.

The perils of trying to be an early (?) adopter and go all in on HEVC.

astral posted:

Is this with the normal player or the new Enhanced one?

Have you tried Infuse in case it doesn't work with either of the above, so you wouldn't have to hassle what you described?

Infuse is a really great player app for the AppleTV which can act as a Plex client; I do recommend checking it out if you didn't.

Same for the (plex pass only for now) Enhanced video player in the Plex AppleTV app.

astral fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 22, 2019

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I’m gonna look into Infuse, I just didn’t after I figured out a workaround.

Also I don’t know if I have the enhanced player or not. I don’t have Plex Pass, but I do have the updated ATV Plex GUI.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

OldSenileGuy posted:

I’m gonna look into Infuse, I just didn’t after I figured out a workaround.

Also I don’t know if I have the enhanced player or not. I don’t have Plex Pass, but I do have the updated ATV Plex GUI.

The Enhanced one is only available with a Plex Pass for now, unfortunately, but it uses mpv as its player engine like the Plex Media Player for computers does. Once they iron out all the bugs, it should be able to handle pretty much anything.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah just going to echo the same things about infuse and enhanced media player. Infuse gets a lot of cheerleading a lot from people over the Plex app and in a lot of circumstances I don’t see it - but it can handle PGS graphic subs way better, and my experience with the enhanced player was the same.

I think everyone goes through a learning curve of getting these videos to play properly, I went through official and unofficial TV apps, xbone app, Plex ATV and infuse before I know what works the best.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I am looking to rip my DVD copy of the 1993 classic "Who's the Man?" starring Doctor Dre (the other one) and Ed Lover (why this never got a Blu-ray release is beyond me). I wanted to rip this completely lossless. I'm pretty sure Plex does not like raw MPEG2 from DVDs (I think), despite it handling raw Blu-ray MKV files just fine. What is the best way to rip this like someone would rip a .WAV from a CD?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

I am looking to rip my DVD copy of the 1993 classic "Who's the Man?" starring Doctor Dre (the other one) and Ed Lover (why this never got a Blu-ray release is beyond me). I wanted to rip this completely lossless. I'm pretty sure Plex does not like raw MPEG2 from DVDs (I think), despite it handling raw Blu-ray MKV files just fine. What is the best way to rip this like someone would rip a .WAV from a CD?

makemkv.

Also MKV is just a container format, just like AVI was back in the day. What you put inside it is up to you. For example:

$ mkvinfo linux_isos.mkv
+ Segment: size 15652845862
|+ Segment information
| + Multiplexing application: libmakemkv v1.6.14 (1.2.0/1.1.0) darwin(x86-release)
|+ Tracks
| + Track
| + Track number: 1 (track ID for mkvmerge & mkvextract: 0)
| + Track UID: 1
| + Track type: video
| + Codec ID: V_MPEG2
| + Video track
| + Pixel width: 1920
| + Pixel height: 1080
| + Track
| + Track number: 2 (track ID for mkvmerge & mkvextract: 1)
| + Track UID: 2
| + Track type: audio
| + Codec ID: A_DTS

(Oh, and a .wav file is also a container. What you are thinking of is a rip of the pcm audio stream. If you wanted to confuse folks back in the day you could put an mp3 encoded track inside a wav file container.)
:goonsay:

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 23, 2019

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yes the above is the best, easiest, fastest way to get the exact same file from the DVD into the collection. Now MPEG2 isn’t as widely supported as it used to be, as a lot of people are using streaming boxes and MPEG2 isn’t exactly in widespread use for streaming these days. So if you playback on a device that can’t natively do MPEG2, Plex will automatically reencode it on the fly.

If you’d rather it not have to do this, then use Handbrake to encode to a native format for your hardware after you’ve completed the MakeMKV process.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't know MakeMKV did DVDs! Thank you! That is exactly what I am going to do.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
OldSenileGuy I dunno what you're doing but I use handbrake to reencode my 2160p 10-bit hevc stuff as 2160p 10-bit hevc w/ the subtitles burned in because having the subtitles as a separate file is a pain in the rear end and causes transcodes that my machine can't handle.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Dren - by external subs do you mean graphical like PGS or text like SRT? SRT without encoding on the fly is pretty common for players, but not all. PGS can be trickier. It’s usually easy enough to find suitable subs ripped online from the same disc you have in SRT already done.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I tried it with both PGS and SRT with the player as my Samsung SmartTV. Both caused my plex server to do a reencode. I have seen that some players can do SRT w/o a reencode but mine can't so :shrug:. I just reencode the files. They look just as nice and take up 1/5 the space or less.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks to this thread I learned that the widescreen option on the Who's the Man? DVD just takes the full-screen version and zooms in a bit. 4:3 it is!

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Its likely there are 2 complete versions of the video on the disc in different titles. When you pick the "widescreen" version it just plays the corresponding title.

Zoomed in "widescreen" cuts where common during the early days of DVD unfortunately, or if you where really unlucky, it was a non-anamorphic cut where the black bars are part of the video, and reduce the overall image resolution because of it.

Ahh, DVDs.. Brings back memories of editing DVD commands using PGCEdit to create/change menus, remove FBI warning screens, remove prohibited operations, turn on subtitles automatically, etc... I used to prefer doing 1:1 "backups" of DVDs, so I would use PGCEdit to make it skip straight to the menu or main title, bypassing all the pre-play crap.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

stevewm posted:

Its likely there are 2 complete versions of the video on the disc in different titles. When you pick the "widescreen" version it just plays the corresponding title.

Zoomed in "widescreen" cuts where common during the early days of DVD unfortunately, or if you where really unlucky, it was a non-anamorphic cut where the black bars are part of the video, and reduce the overall image resolution because of it.

Ahh, DVDs.. Brings back memories of editing DVD commands using PGCEdit to create/change menus, remove FBI warning screens, remove prohibited operations, turn on subtitles automatically, etc... I used to prefer doing 1:1 "backups" of DVDs, so I would use PGCEdit to make it skip straight to the menu or main title, bypassing all the pre-play crap.

Yeah it had two completely separate files. They even had slightly different file sizes.

This release isn't even that old. I think it came out in 2011 or so. My guess is it's probably even worse. The full screen one is probably the widescreen film print zoomed in (like most full screen transfers were), and the widescreen one is zoomed in even more. The only movie I can think of where the full screen version actually had more viewable space was Terminator 3.

edit: it's even weirder than I thought

I did a comparison with the movie's trailer (to get a better idea of what they used for theaters) and here is the result:

The left one is the 4:3 version, top right one is the trailer, bottom right one is the 16:9 version of the movie.

It looks like the 4:3 version is a legit 4:3 "release" because you can see way more on the bottom than you can in the trailer. But the trailer shows more on the right (the light switch) than the 16:9 and 4:3 version. What the hell did they do to this movie

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 23, 2019

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
All this conversion talk has got me thinking. I have a collection of 350 or so DVD's that I should digitize. What's my best route for doing this one at a time. I'm not concerned about menus or extras as much as just getting them in plexable format. Is AnyDVD still a thing? What's the simplest way to do this?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

porktree posted:

All this conversion talk has got me thinking. I have a collection of 350 or so DVD's that I should digitize. What's my best route for doing this one at a time. I'm not concerned about menus or extras as much as just getting them in plexable format. Is AnyDVD still a thing? What's the simplest way to do this?

I started looking into it and boy howdy it's not worth the time since 3/4 of my stuff is available to stream somewhere.

When I did decide to start ripping my plan was to just straight up rip an ISO and then convert later once I had them all ripped.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Semi-related, here's a pretty good Twitter thread on some of the "choices" made for the Buffy the Vampire Slayer remaster.

https://twitter.com/BeerStix/status/1110056552411684865

stevewm
May 10, 2005

porktree posted:

Given that you are allowed to backup your own media... Handbrake can open DVDs, rip, and encode them to mkv directly. But because of the legal grey area, they don't include this ability by default.
Search "handbrake rip dvd" on Google, first result, explains how to do this. Its quite easy.

I have several large boxes full of DVDs myself, well north of 500. (cousin still owns and operates a video store, I probably bought a large percentage of the discs they would put out for sale). I used Handbrake to rip a few of the not-so-common titles for Plex viewing. Worked out great.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

This release isn't even that old. I think it came out in 2011 or so. My guess is it's probably even worse. The full screen one is probably the widescreen film print zoomed in (like most full screen transfers were), and the widescreen one is zoomed in even more. T

There was quite the uproar over the release of a few big movies because of this. In particular the Back to the Future series. The widescreen releases where anamorphic, which is great. But someone realized it was a zoomed in cut of the 4:3 pan&scanned version of the film. They ended putting out fixed copies of it, and you could request fixed DVDs from Universal for free.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

porktree posted:

Makemkv is pushbutton simple. You can then batch process them in handbrake or just transcode on the fly. Mpeg2 is so cheap even my crappy little celeron nuc can do it.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

odiv posted:

Semi-related, here's a pretty good Twitter thread on some of the "choices" made for the Buffy the Vampire Slayer remaster.

https://twitter.com/BeerStix/status/1110056552411684865

That poo poo goes well beyond color grading. They screwed up cropping some of the scenes and you can see the loving crew in them! That whole thing was such a debacle, they should just yank it entirely.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah, the colour grading is just the first tweet, if you read the thread they show a whole bunch more. Pretty bad.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
The frame showing the film crew... Just lolol... It's quite obvious they loaded the scanned video into a piece of software to do the cropping and just walked away. No way would anyone actually supervising that work actually leave it like that.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

stevewm posted:

There was quite the uproar over the release of a few big movies because of this. In particular the Back to the Future series. The widescreen releases where anamorphic, which is great. But someone realized it was a zoomed in cut of the 4:3 pan&scanned version of the film. They ended putting out fixed copies of it, and you could request fixed DVDs from Universal for free.

I actually remember that like it was yesterday, even though it was like 15 years ago. I called some number and some Spanish lady answered (I felt so bad, she sounded like she was so overworked) and they sent me parts 2 and 3 (part 1 wasn't affected) and the new ones had a little "V2" somewhere on the label of the disc so you knew it was fixed.

e: jesus christ

https://twitter.com/BeerStix/status/1110067546844262400
https://twitter.com/BeerStix/status/1110073955786936320

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 24, 2019

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

porktree posted:

Medullah posted:

I started looking into it and boy howdy it's not worth the time since 3/4 of my stuff is available to stream somewhere.

When I did decide to start ripping my plan was to just straight up rip an ISO and then convert later once I had them all ripped.

stevewm posted:

Given that you are allowed to backup your own media... Handbrake can open DVDs, rip, and encode them to mkv directly. But because of the legal grey area, they don't include this ability by default.
Search "handbrake rip dvd" on Google, first result, explains how to do this. Its quite easy.

I have several large boxes full of DVDs myself, well north of 500. (cousin still owns and operates a video store, I probably bought a large percentage of the discs they would put out for sale). I used Handbrake to rip a few of the not-so-common titles for Plex viewing. Worked out great.

H110Hawk posted:

Makemkv is pushbutton simple. You can then batch process them in handbrake or just transcode on the fly. Mpeg2 is so cheap even my crappy little celeron nuc can do it.

I did what Medullah (and Hawk) described: used MakeMKV to extract the relevant bits from the original discs, then used Handbrake to transcode to HEVC. If you do each disc in Handbrake, then you're limited to the speed at which you transcode, whereas you can rip from the discs quickly and then queue up in Handbrake simultaneously. I ended up ripping with MakeMKV when I had time (i.e. when I was home) while Handbrake slowly (i.e. at about real-time) transcoded in the background, 24/7 for several weeks straight, originally for the movie collection and then a couple years later for the TV series (which are more of a bitch to do because you've got to manually identify episode.)

Ideally, Plex is for stuff you can't stream elsewhere, but there are so many streaming services nowadays, plus Netflix loses the rights to content every month, that I wouldn't blame anyone else for just collecting content that you can't be sure will be available indefinitely elsewhere.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

H110Hawk posted:

Thanks to all of you for the suggestions. I'm going to set up an assembly line this weekend.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've got an old Nvidia ION based system gathering dust, wonder if that would be able to serve duty as a disc ripping station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
I've always used a pretty beefy PC for Plex but I've decided now is the time to invest in a NAS. I'm getting a Synology DS218+ which according to the Plex compatibility spreadsheet is capable of doing 1080p hardware accelerated transcoding with PlexPass. Is there anything else I should be aware of when selecting a NAS and hard drives to go in it?