Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Procrastinator posted:

I will say, dedicated internet at an actual store location is a lot easier and cheaper to get than a solid connection at event sites on average, I think.

That part totally makes sense. They want to cut costs so not having to fly out staff to oversee the whole process, as well as the equipment shipment, Internet connection rental, and probably a hundred other costs associated with it does save them money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
I’m guessing Wizards is spending their money elsewhere and no longer underwriting the cost for Channelfireball or whoever was in charge of it, and obviously it isn’t self sustaining so it just doesn’t happen.

It could be the death of GP coverage period and they are only going to cover MPL events.

I assume SCG is profitable and not running these events as a loss leader so maybe they’re the future of paper.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Silhouette posted:

So is anyone else trying to brew up a good combo deck that uses Truefire Captain and Gideons Sacrifice? One-shot instant speed Pariah seems pretty funny in that situation.

If the guy couldn't get going off of Star of Extinction then Gideon's Sacrifice is going to have a hard loving time.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

If the guy couldn't get going off of Star of Extinction then Gideon's Sacrifice is going to have a hard loving time.
7 mana sorcery and 1 mana instant are about as different as you can get when it comes to combo pieces.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Between Gideon's Sacrifice and Narset's Reversal, good to see Esper getting more tech against Banefire, they really needed it

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Marketing New Brain posted:

I’m guessing Wizards is spending their money elsewhere and no longer underwriting the cost for Channelfireball or whoever was in charge of it, and obviously it isn’t self sustaining so it just doesn’t happen.

It could be the death of GP coverage period and they are only going to cover MPL events.

I assume SCG is profitable and not running these events as a loss leader so maybe they’re the future of paper.

This seems more like they are trying to distance themselves from the freelance folks like they are the judges. They don't want to send wotc employees to the gps (those guys probably don't want to be on the hook to travel every weekend either) and cfb doesn't want to pay for them every event.

CFB is now totally on the hook for everything at the gp. All employees, all prizes, everything.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Yawgmoth posted:

7 mana sorcery and 1 mana instant are about as different as you can get when it comes to combo pieces.

Sacrifice needs something else along with the captain though. Goes from 2 card to 3 card, with the 3rd likely being... Command the Dreadhorde? Something that does damage to your entire board if you have a massive board?

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Yawgmoth posted:

So you can redirect damage to him, so what. Where are you getting 20 damage from? Like your opponent is going to attack with 20 power and you will triumphantly slam this down for the win? What about the other 999 games?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Me on Turn 5: Truefire Captain, Gideon's Sacrifice, Game 2?
You on Turn 5: Sure, do you want to play or draw?

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Radiating Lightning with 16 other creatures, Gates Ablaze with enough gates and creatures?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
For this mckinnon kickstarter can I add stuff after the end of the campaign when the survey gets sent out? Thinking of getting a few playmats/ prints but need to check with friends if they want in.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Magic Underwear posted:

So you can redirect damage to him, so what. Where are you getting 20 damage from? Like your opponent is going to attack with 20 power and you will triumphantly slam this down for the win? What about the other 999 games?
you do know that there's gonna be 52 other cards in your deck right

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

ilmucche posted:

For this mckinnon kickstarter can I add stuff after the end of the campaign when the survey gets sent out? Thinking of getting a few playmats/ prints but need to check with friends if they want in.

Yup.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Between Gideon's Sacrifice and Narset's Reversal, good to see Esper getting more tech against Banefire, they really needed it

If Esper plays either of those specifically to counter Banefire they have already lost.

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.
Narset's might be good but mostly because you can target your own spell to fizzle their counter while still casting the spell, and then cast it again later. If that's good enough then yeah you might blow out a Banefire or Explosion once in a while but it's not why you would run it. lol at esper having a creature to eat the ball with Gideon's, though.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

LOL yeah I know it's very much an edge case but there have been quite a few times I've slugged it out with Esper Control that's gotten Teferi/Azcanta online and still punched through with a topdeck Banefire, having that be answered would probably break my spirit for all time

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

How in holy jesus on easter day is Kaya, Orzhov Usurper 15 loving dollars

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Sickening posted:

Modern I guess?

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Sickening posted:

Mythic, walker, 3 mana walker specifically, sees play as a 2 of mainboard of a popular t1 deck? High casual appeal? Not a ton of other expensive cards in set?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

who is playing two maindeck kayas and why

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Hellsau posted:

who is playing two maindeck kayas and why

Yo. I run them in my abzan deck. The goal is to gently caress over teferi decks.

RC Cola fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 22, 2019

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

final GP Niagara Falls update: after extensive testing, I can confidently say that Steel Stompy has an excellent matchup against Legacy 8-rack

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
New Lili is starting to climb in price. Was an article written about her or something?

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.
Could just be because of Lilliana's triumph people are considering running her for the bonus effect.

e: sorry I read old lili not new lili. not sure about that one

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
It's a mythic rare planeswalker in a set that hasn't released yet.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Star Man posted:

It's a mythic rare planeswalker in a set that hasn't released yet.

True, but it surpassed the new Gideon. I personally think the New Lili is nuts, but Gideon will probably end up being better.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

What deck wants new Gideon? The three drops in White Weenie are way better than him, and Esper control doesn't want him either.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

DangerDongs posted:

True, but it surpassed the new Gideon. I personally think the New Lili is nuts, but Gideon will probably end up being better.

New Lili is the most pushed card in the set. We’ve seen a similar Gideon before, he’s a nice beat down card that avoids wrath, but he has the History of Benalia problem in only going in beatdown. I expect virtually every black deck to put some number of Lili in their 75.

I think she’s just under Elspeth Sun’s Champion, which is to say a 6 mana card that’s will dictate a lot of what the format is about.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

New Lili is the most pushed card in the set. We’ve seen a similar Gideon before, he’s a nice beat down card that avoids wrath, but he has the History of Benalia problem in only going in beatdown. I expect virtually every black deck to put some number of Lili in their 75.

I think she’s just under Elspeth Sun’s Champion, which is to say a 6 mana card that’s will dictate a lot of what the format is about.

I feel like elspeth stands on its own much better. Both her plus and minus aren't as good on average compared to elspeth. There very well could be a deck that synergies with the minus and static ability for a lot of value, but as stand alone walkers I just don't see the raw power comparison.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
The real tragedy of no legacy coverage is that we didn’t get to see the guy on mono red dinosaurs at the top tables

Edit: \/ kat lights Twitter is exactly where I got that from

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 22, 2019

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Mezzanon posted:

The real tragedy of no legacy coverage is that we didn’t get to see the guy on mono red dinosaurs at the top tables

https://twitter.com/HellKatMTG/status/1120003052067540992

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

i find it hard to believe that dinos are better than 8 rabblemaster effects but... lmao

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

i find it hard to believe that dinos are better than 8 rabblemaster effects but... lmao

Or eldrazi, but sometimes flavor can be worse but good enough.

Imagine spending 1200 dollars on lands so you can cast draft bombs in legacy.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Nice Batterskull, opponent. Here's a 5/5.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
https://twitter.com/momsbasementmtg/status/1120012120429666307

The man himself.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

A+ Magic Player right there.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

one of the best things about legacy is that the package of spirit guides, chrome mox, sol lands and chalice means you can play a lot of random stompy decks that win with incredibly stupid cards like sea drake and demonic taskmaster

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

She doesn't seem that amazing to me. Bolas seems way more pushed, cheaper and guaranteed +2 CA on the +. There are so many situations where her + is practically worthless. Same for the -.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

Once you have 16 pieces of fast mana and 4 Chalice of the Void, the other 40 cards don't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Magic Underwear posted:

She doesn't seem that amazing to me. Bolas seems way more pushed, cheaper and guaranteed +2 CA on the +. There are so many situations where her + is practically worthless. Same for the -.

Bolas is cheaper but that cost is no joke.