Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
He's also wearing some kind of collar, I wouldn't be surprised if that turns out to be some kind of device designed to prevent him from killing himself or otherwise misbehaving in a way that might get him killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Audrey: "So why didn't you try to escape?"

Lyndon: *glances uneasily at the attractive girl stood next to him* "Erm..."

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

This rules. I was expecting some kind of depraved hunt for the Immortality Jewel or whatever, and instead they're just making sure Lyndon exercises regularly and eats plenty of vegetables. Hilarious.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I wonder what purpose the war serves in extending his life?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Lyndon got beefy.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Why is he balding now?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Maybe he's always been bald :O

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Maybe he's got a brain chip installed on top of everything? Of course his hair would've grown back.

Excess testosterone from all the beefing up?

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
That squislee better check Lyndon’s prostate then or it’d be a real awkward way for the scepterworld to end

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

goblin week posted:

Why is he balding now?

It's been several years.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

The Lone Badger posted:

I wonder what purpose the war serves in extending his life?
It doesn't. You can't not go to war just because this is Scepter World, soldier!

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Synthbuttrange posted:

What're they going to do, kill him?

Hurt him a lot, heal him, hurt him a lot, heal him, repeat until he decides being buff and living as long as possible is less painful. Also buff Lyndon lmao

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

buff bald lydon living forevially and loving it

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

I'm imagining Lyndon's pompadour was one big comb-forward curled back on itself, and the Skyggemyrians just cut his hair short.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

yeah that was a pomp you could smuggle a sandwich in

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://trixie.thecomicseries.com/comics/371

fuuuuuck

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Y'know, I was trying to think why these guys would want the scepter so much in the first place, and I realized it could be pretty helpful for learning anything you want about the future. Just plan to have you or someone else say whatever important fact right at your deathbed (which you'll know from a previous scepter vision), and you can learn whatever info you'd like right there, as you witness yourself die! Both handy and traumatic!

And unrelated, but the castle Lyndon is being held in translates as "treacherous dog".

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
haha drat

http://trixie.thecomicseries.com/comics/372

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Bringing in the observer effect into the Thorsbyverse sure is something.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
"Almost the entire universe is gone." That explains the stars disappearing. The gem can only simulate the entire universe for so long. Of course, this poisons the simulation, making it useless for predicting the user's death - but if someone who knows they're in a simulation is present at the eventual death, they can be the simulation's way of predicting other things, instead, by describing things that happened in the simulation. See: Doctor Who episode Extremis.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
well the simulation might come to an end sooner than later

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
If they're simulating an entire universe, wouldn't there still be billions of years worth of starlight still heading to Earth? Pretty shoddy worksmanship IMO.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
The last panel got a literal LOL from me. God I love Thorsby so much. God I wish we could pair him up with an artist of Yusuke Murata's quality to give these comics a wider audience

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Dr Christmas posted:

If they're simulating an entire universe, wouldn't there still be billions of years worth of starlight still heading to Earth? Pretty shoddy worksmanship IMO.

The probability sphere contracts around Lynton. If he dies here it's possible the rest of the world has already ceased to exist.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
http://trixie.thecomicseries.com/comics/373 More Lyndon

Not really related to the strip: for a few moments I thought that his girlfriend was wearing Annette's outfit from HfD, but it's just Thorsby reusing bright colours - it's not even the same type of top, and someone else is wearing the same colour a strip or two earlier.

And the simulation could be getting smaller/shutting down, but surely people would have noticed if the sceptre only works for a decade or so. It's not "shows if you die soon", it's "shows how you die" with no limits mentioned (IIRC).

Maybe it's not a simulation :ohdear:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Oh man, Audrey's back.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Audrey never left us.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Even after all this time, still the best at killing.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
She married that FYGM rear end in a top hat and stayed with him for years, but she's still possessive towards Lyndon.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

EndOfTheWorld posted:

God I wish we could pair him up with an artist of Yusuke Murata's quality to give these comics a wider audience

I think about this a lot

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Dr Christmas posted:

why would you assume that stars here are billions of lightyears away instead of holes in the firmament a few miles up, or maybe some kind of weird glowing sky monster

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

why would you assume that stars here are billions of lightyears away instead of holes in the firmament a few miles up, or maybe some kind of weird glowing sky monster

Or even simpler, the simulation stretches out in a ball with a radius of a few light years from earth.
Past that there's nothing, so there's no further light travelling towards earth.

Basically, the incoming starlight was a finite resource which was used up.
That would explain why all stars went out at the same time, even though some are millions of light years away.

And I mean, it kinda makes sense to build it that way. Unless you expect an all-consumingly massive supernova from a distant sun, the rest of the universe probably doesn't affect your death simulation, that much. And in that case everyone is instantly hosed anyway.

I guess there could be glitches, like the sudden lack of astral navigation, which could lead to or recontexualize a death, but maybe that thing simply isn't built for long time predictions. Let's be honest. Lyndon would have offed himself years ago.

Or maybe the sceptre does a little precomputation. Based on his health and current situation, it didn't expect Lyndon to survive the year. In fact, he would have died a few seconds later l, when they fled the embassy. So there was only enough dedicated memory space for a couple light years. Due to the fact that he's artificially being kept alive, the simulation sphere is all alone now.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 22, 2019

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

Or even simpler, the simulation stretches out in a ball with a radius of a few light years from earth.
Past that there's nothing, so there's no further light travelling towards earth.

Basically, the incoming starlight was a finite resource which was used up.
That would explain why all stars went out at the same time, even though some are millions of light years away.

And I mean, it kinda makes sense to build it that way. Unless you expect an all-consumingly massive supernova from a distant sun, the rest of the universe probably doesn't affect your death simulation, that much. And in that case everyone is instantly hosed anyway.

I guess there could be glitches, like the sudden lack of astral navigation, which could lead to or recontexualize a death, but maybe that thing simply isn't built for long time predictions. Let's be honest. Lyndon would have offed himself years ago.

Then Alpha Centauri should still be visible! Over five years have passed which means it simulated starlight coming in from at least five light years away, and Alpha Centauri is within five light years so it should be contained within the simulation and generating its own light.

That's, of course, assuming that our heroes are on actual Earth.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

vyelkin posted:

Then Alpha Centauri should still be visible! Over five years have passed which means it simulated starlight coming in from at least five light years away, and Alpha Centauri is within five light years so it should be contained within the simulation and generating its own light.

That's, of course, assuming that our heroes are on actual Earth.

Yeah that's fair. I considered that, but I didn't want to calculate the number of passed years, to compare distances. Also it contradicts my theory so I dropped the idea.

But we don't really know a lot about that universe. Maybe they have a few nearby stars, which are either really dim, or only visible on the other side of the globe. Assuming it is a globe, I guess.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

Yeah that's fair. I considered that, but I didn't want to calculate the number of passed years, to compare distances. Also it contradicts my theory so I dropped the idea.

But we don't really know a lot about that universe. Maybe they have a few nearby stars, which are either really dim, or only visible on the other side of the globe. Assuming it is a globe, I guess.

Presumably other planets should still appear in the night sky too, which makes me wonder what's going on. Even if all the stars disappeared, you would still be able to see Mars and Jupiter and so on, because they're visible at night thanks to our own star's light.

The easiest answer, of course, would be that they aren't on Earth and so we shouldn't base predictions on Earth's stellar geography. I do like the theory that all the simulation's starlight has been used up because it's gone on so long! But that does make me wonder just how accurate the simulation could be for someone who's going to die of old age, for example.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Good point with the other planets. But we don't actually know if their gone, or existed, since nobody mentioned them so far.

Presumably, the sun is still there, though. Otherwise it would be a really shoddy simulation.

I want a page which explains the whole mechanic, like in Accidental Space Spy.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 22, 2019

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

photons are actually weird monsters that evolved to be subatomic for reasons, they're avoiding the earth now cause they know what's coming

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I like the little touch of all the paintings in Lyndon's quarters being soothing abstractions.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I don’t think whatever happened to the night sky is related to the scepter. Running out of memory after five-odd years is way too short considering how many people would be given an old age-related vision of their death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

photons are actually weird monsters that evolved to be subatomic for reasons, they're avoiding the earth now cause they know what's coming

Related to this line of thought, it's worth remembering the scepter is magic. It's not necessarily true that a more computationally complex task would be more difficult for it, since it's not a computer or even a thing that follows the laws of physics.