Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I don't know when it started showing up in the loading screen tips, but for a long time pressing ALT and drag to only select boats was one of those little tricks. Glad they eventually let us know, it's super useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

You can search the text name for any character trait in the finder menu. Genius, Midas, etc etc. It’s just one of those “hmm, I wonder if I can do this...” things that is not stated anywhere and you end up just trying one day.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Torrannor posted:

Another feature that's a bit hidden is that there's a button for "claimants" when you click on a title shield, listing all claimants to that title, complete with a symbol that tells you whether the claimant in question would accept an invitation to your court.
I don't think that feature is that hidden. Sure, someone brand new to the game probably won't find it. But anyone who's put in even 50 hours would.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Charlz Guybon posted:

I don't think that feature is that hidden. Sure, someone brand new to the game probably won't find it. But anyone who's put in even 50 hours would.

Which is why I said "a bit hidden". But if we go by Steam statistics, it's incredibly rare for people to just casually put 50 hours into a game. If you're that far, you're already a fan. And it's actually a pretty important button, because the marriage game is so important to "vanilla" CK2, a.k.a. playing Christians.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

In some respects, CK2's interface is more like something out of Microsoft office than a traditional video game. They've mostly solved overcrowding on character pages, although there will be occasionally somebody who has 50 claims crammed in their box, and many rebel forces are totally unreadable because the game feels the need to point out how they're hostile to every realm in the world before letting you see the actual war they're fighting. The dynasty button is worthless because it doesn't allow proper scrolling, and the crusade screen doesn't fit right in my monitor resolution.

Marriage is so much of the game in the Christian world that Muslim runs seem empty by comparison. No inheritance shenanigans or matrilineal stuff, just some stats, an alliance, and you go back to the standard muslim game of being a good boy going on haj's and keeping decadence down. Muslims have more powerful CBs than christians, but there's not much to do after you've blobbed all over.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Marriage is so much of the game in the Christian world that Muslim runs seem empty by comparison.

After Holy Fury I feel like playing a Catholic has so much more stuff than any other religion. There's not really any reason to play anything else, other than the sheer glee of making the whole world Reformed Suomenusko or whatever. I do like playing Catholics, so I don't mind at all.

Actually, can you guys give me a tip on some non Catholic (default world) scenarios that are fun to play? The last thing I tried was Zun, and while the sun themed stuff is fun, it's not really much different from generic pagans after a while.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

pidan posted:

Actually, can you guys give me a tip on some non Catholic (default world) scenarios that are fun to play? The last thing I tried was Zun, and while the sun themed stuff is fun, it's not really much different from generic pagans after a while.

Haesteinn of Nantes in the 867 start is one of the go to scenarios. It's been worth giving him 100 years with every new DLC to figure out the mechanics because he can do almost anything.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

SlothfulCobra posted:

Marriage is so much of the game in the Christian world that Muslim runs seem empty by comparison. No inheritance shenanigans or matrilineal stuff, just some stats, an alliance, and you go back to the standard muslim game of being a good boy going on haj's and keeping decadence down. Muslims have more powerful CBs than christians, but there's not much to do after you've blobbed all over.

Muslims are definitely the weakest faith imho. Perhaps tied with the Dharmic religions. Paradox had to overhaul the decadence mechanic several times, and I don't think anybody (including the devs) are fully happy with it even now. Muslims demand a certain playstyle to be enjoyable, and depend even more on setting challenges for yourself. Playing (secret) Shiites can be pretty fun, especially since the Assassins are something like a mix of a monastic order, the Hermetics, and a warrior lodge. But the religion itself is like a lesser version of Christianity, only with multiple wives (which other religions have as well, or at least something similar with concubines), a slightly different succession system, and decadence. If you're not playing at a start date with strong Fatimids, you're likely the only game in town, playing nearly like a pagan, in that you can holy war in all directions if/once you'r openly Shiite. Sunnis at least can have interesting court dynamics with the Azshari/Mutatelite split, and possibly have to contend with the powerful Abbasid caliphs, who have a CB to subjugate any Sunni realm.

Decadence can be fun to manage. But if you're liable to give as many titles as you can to relatives, it quickly becomes tedious/unmanageable, skyrocketing your decadence. If you keep your family small enough, you can handle decadent dynasty members without it becoming a chore. Setting goals for yourself is just very important as a Muslim. My go to scenario is taking the Umayyads, and uniting all Muslims under my dynasty once more, while making sure that every single member of the Abbasid dynasty is killed. Since Muslims also had the original bloodlines mechanic, I also set the challenge to preserve all Sayyid lines (except the Abbasids of course), which can be pretty difficult. The Hashemites are not likely to die out any time soon, but the Fatimids are another matter. I also try to convert as many of my vassals to Andalusian as I can. That gives me something to do during peacetime: Pressuring my vassals to let me educate their heirs, assassinate those heirs that didn't switch culture, assassinate Abbasids to keep the number halfway manageable (when you finally conquer Arabia, they are likely to have more than 100 living family members, so this is a big task), and keeping an eye on the other Sayyid dynasties. That keeps me busy between wars, but it's obviously just something I set as a goal for myself, not something the game requires you to do.

pidan posted:

After Holy Fury I feel like playing a Catholic has so much more stuff than any other religion. There's not really any reason to play anything else, other than the sheer glee of making the whole world Reformed Suomenusko or whatever. I do like playing Catholics, so I don't mind at all.

If you want something totally different, you should probably play a merchant republic or nomads. Nomads are especially good if you want to frequently switch between religions to spice up your game. If you're looking for a feudal game, you can try the only Norse ruler in the 1066 start date, the brother (and vassal) of the Swedish king, who's a duke in northern Sweden. Starting as Alexios Komnenos can also be a lot of fun. The Byzantine Empire has shrunk a lot, but you play a really high stat character, and the Muslims are pretty fragmented. It's tough, but quite rewarding. And it has one advantage: You can shape a lot more of the empire as you go on reconquest, since you can install anybody you want in the lands you regain. Trying to survive at any start as Abyssinia can also be enjoyable, but Coptics are just a watered down version of Orthodox.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Apr 21, 2019

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Torrannor posted:

Muslims are definitely the weakest faith imho.

I've been enjoying my pirates of Crete game, but I have to admit that I'm not really interacting with the mechanics of the religion much. I'm not expanding, so I'm not handing out titles, and decadence so far doesn't seem particularly hard to manage a couple hundred years in. Open succession keeping my two counties in the hands of one character is really the only thing I'm using. What I'm doing is lots of fun, but I'm a little loath to try a game where I actually have to use these mechanics.

I'm a little tempted to try to switch to reformed germanic, but open succession is kinda kick-rear end for me.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

catlord posted:

I've been enjoying my pirates of Crete game, but I have to admit that I'm not really interacting with the mechanics of the religion much. I'm not expanding, so I'm not handing out titles, and decadence so far doesn't seem particularly hard to manage a couple hundred years in. Open succession keeping my two counties in the hands of one character is really the only thing I'm using. What I'm doing is lots of fun, but I'm a little loath to try a game where I actually have to use these mechanics.

I'm a little tempted to try to switch to reformed germanic, but open succession is kinda kick-rear end for me.

Unless you always give out your second county to your best son, open succession is not really different from primogeniture. And if you limit yourself to just the duchy, bog standard elective will give you the ability to select your heir at will. If you were playing a Dharmic religion, you could also just designate an heir as well. So open succession doesn't give you anything that you couldn't get elsewhere, too.

But yes, managing decadence is a core feature, and can be more or less ignored if you're just a duke. If you play a sprawling dynasty, it's very unfun imho. And decadence is the only truly unique mechanic Muslims have. That it's not very fun is a big reason why the faith compares unfavorable to most other religions.

Orthodox Christianity is also not too exciting, but the Byzantine Empire is different enough. Viceroyalties unlocked from the start makes a big difference, especially if you're a vassal. But being Orthodox doesn't make too much of a difference. If you're a Syrian vassal and Antioch has been restored, the emperor can no longer get you excommunicated because you don't share a religious head, but that's about it. But again, the main Orthodox nation is unique enough to cover for Orthodox being underwhelming. Muslims don't have that luxury.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Torrannor posted:

Unless you always give out your second county to your best son, open succession is not really different from primogeniture. And if you limit yourself to just the duchy, bog standard elective will give you the ability to select your heir at will. If you were playing a Dharmic religion, you could also just designate an heir as well. So open succession doesn't give you anything that you couldn't get elsewhere, too.

I'd need to rush for the tech and the council stuff to get to primo, though. When I was forced to convert to Orthodoxy (thanks for the holy war, Byzzies. Suckers) I had to switch to seniority to keep my demesne from splitting, and since I had just converted it meant that the oldest guy was Sunni so I went back to open so everything worked out. I actually am really just using open as primo, I don't hand out my second county. I need those troops for raiding!

I've never actually messed with elective, really. I'm not sure I've ever played in the HRE-thunderdome. Played a couple short games in the Occitania area, though. I do like the idea of choosing the biggest badasses to lead my pirates though, if I can find some way to convert to germanic. It would certainly be nice to get traits for raiding too.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

catlord posted:

I'd need to rush for the tech and the council stuff to get to primo, though. When I was forced to convert to Orthodoxy (thanks for the holy war, Byzzies. Suckers) I had to switch to seniority to keep my demesne from splitting, and since I had just converted it meant that the oldest guy was Sunni so I went back to open so everything worked out. I actually am really just using open as primo, I don't hand out my second county. I need those troops for raiding!

I've never actually messed with elective, really. I'm not sure I've ever played in the HRE-thunderdome. Played a couple short games in the Occitania area, though. I do like the idea of choosing the biggest badasses to lead my pirates though, if I can find some way to convert to germanic. It would certainly be nice to get traits for raiding too.

Thing is, even the HRE doesn't use vanilla elective anymore.

In the case of your duchy though, elective works like this: All de jure counts of your duchy have one vote to determine the heir. The one with the most votes wins, with your vote being the tiebreaker in case of a tie.

For you, since you hold all de jure counties of the duchy, you're the only one who can vote. So anybody you vote for as heir will automatically succeed you. If you were to play a 4 county duchy, and had one count vassal, you would also retain total control of inheritance, since your vote would break any tie that would arise. You would only be in danger of losing the duchy if you had two or more count vassals.

Since elective has no late feudal administration requirement, it's always available should a similar situation occur, and you need to convert to avoid being holy warred.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

What are some fun starts for the Deus Vult achievement - forming the Empire of Outremer?

Also, does anyone know if the Headhunter cheevo is still bugged?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Torrannor posted:

Which is why I said "a bit hidden". But if we go by Steam statistics, it's incredibly rare for people to just casually put 50 hours into a game. If you're that far, you're already a fan. And it's actually a pretty important button, because the marriage game is so important to "vanilla" CK2, a.k.a. playing Christians.

The average CK2 player has put in 190 hours way back in 2014. It's got to be higher now.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132510-Europa-Universalis-and-Crusader-Kings-Have-Average-Play-Times-of-190-Hours

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Unpleasant. While I was hovering over Scotland contemplating adding them to the collection, England declares war (they wanted one of my border counties in Wales). They outnumbered me by a bit, but not enough that some mercs couldn't solve.

...so I gather everyone, hire mercs, throw them at their gathered army in what numerically ends up a somewhat even fight, and get stomped flat. Then they start sieging my stuff so quickly I can't even get there to fight them before the forts are dying. War ends very shortly with me down a county and a lot of money. Had that been a war over actual stakes I would have been screwed.

I fear I need to take these bums down a peg. An alliance with Scotland would help. I have sisters, too bad nobody wants to marry them :v:

Edit: So Scotland refused all my requests at marriage (Political Concerns. Which I'm assuming is code for "We don't want an alliance because we'll attack you soon and don't want to be truce breakers"), then jumped into a war with Norway. I decided this was a good time to declare war over one of their piddly border counties, as worst case, I force a truce and keep them away in case England strikes again. Set to sieging. They immediately retract an army a little bigger than mine from Norway to try and dislodge me...and right away I have somehow imprisoned the king of Scotland. War over.

Too bad I couldn't keep him, he automatically got free as soon as peace was declared, but still.

DeathChicken fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 21, 2019

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

SlothfulCobra posted:

Merchant republics are not a good option if you want your immortal ruler to not get assassinated.

fwiw even in a feudal setup immortal rulers will eventually get 'ruled too long' penalties that will make their reigns untenable. if you want to keep the character around though it's not difficult. justly try to arrest someone (like if they're plotting or something) to get them to revolt, and then surrender to them. that will force an abdication to your heir. they will have the immortal bloodline for +1 health, too.

you can then give your ex-ruler a single barony or city to keep them from leaving court and use them as a councilor or whatever for the rest of time.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

Merchant republics are not a good option if you want your immortal ruler to not get assassinated.
Well...normally the NPC families in a merchant republic have a lifespan of approximately 16 years because you are murdering them as they come to age so that never is a problem.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

My intrigue skill is never high enough to kill people on my own and no one ever wants to buy into my plots (barring rare exceptions when *everyone* wants a guy dead and we start at like 300% Death). This is probably something obvious I'm missing.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

DeathChicken posted:

My intrigue skill is never high enough to kill people on my own and no one ever wants to buy into my plots (barring rare exceptions when *everyone* wants a guy dead and we start at like 300% Death). This is probably something obvious I'm missing.

if you have a specific court that you want people dead in, check the courtiers. there's frequently a fair number of unmarried courtiers in the court. invite spouses for these unmarried courtiers that are envious at least, but the more sins and more cynical you can get, the better. sort them by intrigue, as well, and get the highest intrigue people you can manage.

now, marry them all off to the courtiers in your target court. due to envious, these courtiers will definitely like you more than the liege at least, and envious and cynical contribute toward the 'amoral' modifiers when deciding whether or not to join a plot.

random courtiers don't add a ton to plot power, but they can easily be the difference between 75% plot power and 100%, especially if they are good schemers.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

DeathChicken posted:

I tend to bribe anyone who is neutral in the 'invite to plot' screen, especially various lowborns, wives and other landless characters, because it's cheaper to bribe them than some duke and some courtier or wife often contributes more to plot power than some vassal. That's usually sufficient to reach 100% plot power, even 200%.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Sometimes I miss the "instant assassination" button.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Funky Valentine posted:

Sometimes I miss the "instant assassination" button.
Isn't that in game rules now? But I think if you enable it, it disables achievements.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Dwesa posted:

Isn't that in game rules now? But I think if you enable it, it disables achievements.

correct on both accounts

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Also this pesky Queen of England has St. George's Mask, which is really boss looking and I would pilfer it if I had any idea how to do so. Only artifacts I own are stuff given out by the Pope.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
The "Assassinate" button is great. I haven't used it since it was patched out (even though it's back in), but some problems you just wanted to pause the game, throw endless hordes of assassins at, until one actually did the trick.

I mean, yeah, it obviously tips everyone off that it's you sending the assassins. So what. If I want to hire what comes out to like, 100 death commandos to openly murder one guy, I feel like that's an option, especially in the case of like, adventurers or the like. Motherfucker, you're not even a country, get your bullshit event troops the gently caress out of here, and crawl back into the hell you crawled out of.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Dwesa posted:

Achievements are for nerds anyway.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Technowolf posted:

Achievements are for nerds anyway.

I've had ck2 since 2013 and I don't think I had a single achievement until this year

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

I have some of the super easy achievements like get married, have x number of children, kill someone, etc. but I also have the SPQR and Roman Empire stuff. After that I figured I wasn’t going to bother anymore. Now I savescum all I want.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Does anyone know if having the Chinese Imperialism govtype conflicts with having secular religious head titles? I was thinking of collecting all of them and drowning in too many held duchies opinion maluses because I'm so large now

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Buschmaki posted:

Does anyone know if having the Chinese Imperialism govtype conflicts with having secular religious head titles? I was thinking of collecting all of them and drowning in too many held duchies opinion maluses because I'm so large now

I don't see why it should conflict with holding a temporal religious head title. But how can you collect more of them? I don't think you can remain head of the Romuva church if you convert to Norse, for example. Additionally, I'm 90% sure that those titles don't count against your 2 duchy limit for holding too many duchies.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Oh duh, I forgot that switching religions would probably prevent me from holding the titles, I could just hand them off to vassals of that religion I guess

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!
This game is great.

Just had my soon to be King of England ruler...

1) Cuck his son and sire all his grand children.

2) Cuck his grandson and sire his great grandson.

3)Steal 300 gold from the church to pay off the Jewish loans

4)Beat cancer at age 81 by having his dick cut off.

Currently nearing the end of the immortality quest line. :pray:

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

ScottyJSno posted:

This game is great.

Just had my soon to be King of England ruler...

1) Cuck his son and sire all his grand children.

2) Cuck his grandson and sire his great grandson.

3)Steal 300 gold from the church to pay off the Jewish loans

4)Beat cancer at age 81 by having his dick cut off.

....but... how did you have a great-great grandson?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah if you can’t have children anymore you are just running the immortality quest for the bloodline it gives you. which gives you +1 health just for existing so, you know, definitely worth it, but be clear on the stakes here.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Coolguye posted:

yeah if you can’t have children anymore you are just running the immortality quest for the bloodline it gives you. which gives you +1 health just for existing so, you know, definitely worth it, but be clear on the stakes here.

Not being able to have any more children is a blessing in disguise for an immortal character imho. You can spend the next 100 years ruling your realm and breeding your descendants, without cluttering your family tree more and more, creating a host of claimants that can become dangerous once your immortal character inevitably dies.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I mean, you could always go Satan and regrow your dong. Immortality gives you plenty of time to get rid of the bad traits, if you have to stick with it for too long.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

an immortal character can always STOP having kids. being unable to continue loving really just raises the question of how complicated you want to make your life when you finally abdicate. claimants are the exact opposite of a problem in a world where you can build cities faster than you breed and do not have to worry about dying.

the question you have to answer with an immortal character is not “how good an heir can I get”, it is “how good an heir do I demand?”

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Speaking of kids, crap on a stick, three revolts sprung up in Ireland at once. Two for claim of the kingdom itself, one for Wales. I wanted to just revoke the offending vassal's titles first and be done with it, but the king is still under a regent for one more year because of Daddy Head Wound and he wouldn't let me do it. :v:

I...think I may just have to let them have Wales and do my best to fend off these other two assholes, I can't lose Ireland proper. Unless I can somehow marry off the 15 year old king into an alliance that would save my rear end...

hand-fed baby bird
May 13, 2009
At 15 you could betroth into an alliance and cancel it later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

No good actually, the regent won't approve alliances, even if it would save the kingdom...although I somehow managed to get one of the revolters to White Peace at like 31% or something. Maybe he liked me.

Only real option it seems is to try and stall until the King hits his goddamn birthday in a few months and the regency stops actively ruining things.