Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Malpais Legate posted:

How do y'all handle the inevitable progression to revolving-door afterlife? Like it really deflates the magnitude of the situation when the king's been assassinated and the party cleric goes "raise dead is like 500gp a pop guys"

Either the assassin disintegrated the body, which makes it a lot more inconvenient to revive him, or they used some kind of soul-stealing black magic to make it impossible, or they Plane Shifted him into another dimension, or something. In a world where Raise Dead is a reasonably affordable commodity, you'd expect would-be assassins to put in some effort into having countermeasures, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Malpais Legate posted:

How do y'all handle the inevitable progression to revolving-door afterlife? Like it really deflates the magnitude of the situation when the king's been assassinated and the party cleric goes "raise dead is like 500gp a pop guys"

In 4e, at least, it was suggested that the DM could restrict who could be brought back with the excuse that some NPCs had fulfilled their purpose and couldn't be resurrected. Those with an unfinished place in fate, such as PCs, could easily be brought back.

Plus, 500 gp isn't exactly chump change to anyone who's not an adventurer who clears out dragon hoards on the reg.

lightrook posted:

Either the assassin disintegrated the body, which makes it a lot more inconvenient to revive him, or they used some kind of soul-stealing black magic to make it impossible, or they Plane Shifted him into another dimension, or something. In a world where Raise Dead is a reasonably affordable commodity, you'd expect would-be assassins to put in some effort into having countermeasures, too.

Yeah, in a world where you can use Raise Dead, assassins would probably take the extra step of mutilating the corpse to make it more difficult to bring their target back. Raise Dead needs a relatively intact corpse, and removing its head would be enough to thwart it.

It wouldn't stop a True Resurrection, admittedly, but good luck tracking down a cleric with a high enough level to cast that. In worlds that aren't so high-magic that you can't sneeze without hitting a high-level spellcaster, they could probably be counted on one hand.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
So I was taking a look at this DM Guild expanded weapons list, and while my initial takeaway from it was that it would be typical absurd weaboo nonsense, I actually rather like the variety of weapon traits. Increased strength requirements, advantages to sleight of hand or disarm saves, or expanded crit ranges make the weapons more interesting. Whether or not a 2d8 Nodachi with Reach is particularly balanced, it definitely made me once again wish that WoTC would put together some additional non-magical weapons and items into their next appropriate supplement. https://www.dmsguild.com/product/174973

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Mendrian posted:

Campaign idea: ritual caster, except all the rituals are just apps.

One ritual casts Google Maps.

One ritual casts Tinder.

One ritual casts TaskRabbit.
Yes but it takes 45 minutes to cast because it requires reading the EULA out loud.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Mendrian posted:

Campaign idea: ritual caster, except all the rituals are just apps.

One ritual casts Google Maps.

One ritual casts Tinder.

One ritual casts TaskRabbit.

Reminds me a bit of the Laundry novels, where magic is done by solving multi-dimensional mathematical equations that burn your brain, so the safe way to do magic is to offload the actual spellcasting bit to a phone or other computer.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Kaal posted:

Interestingly, spiderwebs aren't particularly flammable. It's a common trope, but it's the dust that collects on old webs that actually ignites when burned.

But yeah the real answer is 2d4 damage for being caught in the fire. The web burns in 5' segments as it is exposed to flame. It's not a secret megafireball that only requires a second-level spell and a torch.

Technically, it'd be 2d4 per round that the fire burns and you're caught in it. The 5' web segments aren't dealing the damage, the fire is, and the fire deals 2d4 damage per round to each person caught in it.

So if the fire spreads across the web and the huge guy can't get free, he'd take three rounds of burning for a total of 6d4 damage. The confusion is on account of the word "any" and the misapprehension that "any 5' cube of webs that burns away deals 2d4 fire damage" really means "every 5' cube...".

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Kaal posted:

So I was taking a look at this DM Guild expanded weapons list, and while my initial takeaway from it was that it would be typical absurd weaboo nonsense, I actually rather like the variety of weapon traits. Increased strength requirements, advantages to sleight of hand or disarm saves, or expanded crit ranges make the weapons more interesting. Whether or not a 2d8 Nodachi with Reach is particularly balanced, it definitely made me once again wish that WoTC would put together some additional non-magical weapons and items into their next appropriate supplement. https://www.dmsguild.com/product/174973

I miss quirky weapons as well, but I do understand that it's very hard to balance all of that and, inevitably, some clearly more powerful options will appear and become the new standard.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

JustJeff88 posted:

I miss quirky weapons as well, but I do understand that it's very hard to balance all of that and, inevitably, some clearly more powerful options will appear and become the new standard.

Oh sure, just like new class builds have been erected out of the cantrip additions like Green-Fire Blade. But that's ok, it's interesting and adding new abilities (whether of the spell or weapon variety) keep the game fresh.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

JustJeff88 posted:

In the specific case of royalty, there was actually a book set in Cormyr, a famous kingdom of the Forgotten Realms. At one point, the crotchety old court magician tells the princess that it is literally law that, if a member of the royal family days, they cannot be resurrected as it may create problems with the succession of the crown. That might be one way around a similar situation.

Yeah I remember that. If a member of the Royal Family is rezed the punishment is death for the caster and exile for the raised Royal.

Malpais Legate posted:

To be exact you need a 500gp Diamond. Also it does not remove curses, magical diseases or creatures that were turned into undead. Also the body has to be reasonably intact, if parts needed for survival are missing the spell fails.

So if the King had a curse that did damage to him, it says it would activate on rez and kill him again.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 22, 2019

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Is there a D20 SRD equivilent like there was for 3.5 to look up the player's handbook rules for 5e online?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
:iiam:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Apr 23, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cuntellectual posted:

Is there a D20 SRD equivilent like there was for 3.5 to look up the player's handbook rules for 5e online?

5e srd
https://www.5esrd.com/

Is the :filez: option.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Apr 23, 2019

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Yeah, how has :iiam: not been shut down? It's a great DMing resource and I've totally ditched my physical books when playing because of it, but they literally have everything

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Running a game for the first time in forever, has anyone used one of those Rolled & Told one-shots? I'm curious if anyone has played one they really enjoyed.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
The Thunderlock Barcrawl was fun. I think it's the first one? Heavy on skill checks and light on roleplay, but it was a good way to introduce basic mechanics to people who'd never played before.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

change my name posted:

Yeah, how has :iiam: not been shut down? It's a great DMing resource and I've totally ditched my physical books when playing because of it, but they literally have everything

It has been shut down like 5 times. They just move servers.

There's actually like 3 live copies at the moment.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
I think the main thing is...

Why is it okay to talk about this particular :filez: but in most other cases its verboten? As great as a resource it may be, and free stuff can often be really great resources. It still seems like something you ought naught to be openly recommending.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
just close the tab within 24 hours of your session and its fine

(This could be a place where I "get real" and explain that :filez: are very much still against the rules but I don't personally have an ethical qualm with this one, I just don't want SA to get in trouble or lowtax to get angry letters. For better or worse, the site is no longer high profile enough that we're likely to get shut down as a file sharing hub because of a few stray links that are clearly signposted. Obviously post it at your own risk and Ettin could pwn you whenever, not up to me!)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 23, 2019

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

We're doing a one-shot with a bunch of new D&D players this weekend and I'm wondering what the most useful class would be for someone who is trying to wrangle the newbies and keep the party alive. Paladin, so I can tank and DPS if needed or chase people around dropping heals?

Trying to convince the DM to start at like level 3 or 5 but all the extra skills dumped on people who have never played/read the rules might be troublesome.

Somberbrero posted:

Running a game for the first time in forever, has anyone used one of those Rolled & Told one-shots? I'm curious if anyone has played one they really enjoyed.

Inkspot posted:

The Thunderlock Barcrawl was fun. I think it's the first one? Heavy on skill checks and light on roleplay, but it was a good way to introduce basic mechanics to people who'd never played before.
Also ty for this as I send it the DM's way to try making his life easier.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

lightrook posted:

Or like, if you died and are now a petitioner on the Plane of Elysium, how much are you really wanting to go back to the Prime Material Plane?

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Pleads posted:

We're doing a one-shot with a bunch of new D&D players this weekend and I'm wondering what the most useful class would be for someone who is trying to wrangle the newbies and keep the party alive. Paladin, so I can tank and DPS if needed or chase people around dropping heals?

Trying to convince the DM to start at like level 3 or 5 but all the extra skills dumped on people who have never played/read the rules might be troublesome.

If you're starting at level 5, maybe you can go with Cleric to muck up the enemy front line with Spirit Guardians, and Healing Word in case things go exceptionally pear-shaped? I like Order domain in particular, with its emphasis on debuffs like Hold Person and Slow.

Bards are also always Good and Fun and have a lot of ways to either support allies or get the job done themselves.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

lightrook posted:

If you're starting at level 5, maybe you can go with Cleric to muck up the enemy front line with Spirit Guardians, and Healing Word in case things go exceptionally pear-shaped? I like Order domain in particular, with its emphasis on debuffs like Hold Person and Slow.

Bards are also always Good and Fun and have a lot of ways to either support allies or get the job done themselves.

How the poo poo did I forget about bards?!?

But yeah I gotta make a push to start a bit higher level to open things up even if it's more confusing (and because why shouldn't a first-time player get to fire off a fireball without fully comprehending the effects of what they're doing?). There's gonna be a tremendous amount of looking stuff up anyways, what does it matter if it's level 1 stuff vs level 3/5.

A higher level Cleric start also sounds good as some sort of shepherd holy man facepalming in the background as his flock murderhobos the village.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Pleads posted:

At level 1, either a Wizard with Sleep (you can save the party by immediately neutralizing encounters!), or a Variant Human Paladin with Polearm Master going Shield+Stick. Since you're not getting to level 6 you don't need Charisma, so you can go ahead and max STR and CON, PAM gives you damage and shield+chain is about as good AC as you can expect at this level, and Lay on Hands gives you 5 uses of "Revive with 1 HP".

Everyone will still be super flimsy, though. Level 1 is a game of killing things as fast as possible so they get less chances of having that one roll that knocks someone out and swings the fight.

Oh, and tell people to buy Healing Kits. Everyone should have a Healing Kit.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

oops wrong thread

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine
If the DM doesnt want to do Level 3 or 5, you could just see about him adding + CON to HP instead.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I keep reading about Sleep doing so much work, but I've never, ever seen it do a meaningful thing in practice. It's a shame.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Toshimo posted:

I keep reading about Sleep doing so much work, but I've never, ever seen it do a meaningful thing in practice. It's a shame.

It was pretty clutch once in a tower filled with bats. Got the drop on them and was able to knock out almost all of them vs worrying about them making a racket and annoying the levels above. Works better the longer combat goes on, no save, and better the more injured things are, just falls off pretty fast.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Toshimo posted:

It's pretty powerful for extremely low level encounters with a swarm of crappy enemies. It's effectively useless for just about anything else.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

The funniest usage of Sleep I've seen was our head-in-the-clouds sorcerer accidentally putting exactly zero enemies and only himself to sleep in the middle of combat. That was 3.5, though--could that still happen in 5e (obviously if the caster is in the radius and has the lowest HP)?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Sleep is extremely helpful against dangerous but low HP enemies like Kobolds and Hobgoblins.

But people tend to be terrible at aiming it, and it also doesn't seem to occur to them that you can cast it *after* first softening up tougher targets, making it a no-save 5d8 HP finisher.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Once we realized that a Half-Elf Paladin could keep on trucking while a Tiefling Wizard cast Sleep on a BBEG's minions, how could we not use it all the time?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Sleep has been really underwhelming in 5E for me, too. They buffed low-end enemy HP so much that it doesn't get much work done. 3-4 Goblins or 1-2 Human Guards isn't very many, and an automatic crit doesn't even mean that much extra damage. The swarm of crappy enemies will have so many actions that wasting 3-4 on waking up sleeping guys (instead of rolling to attack and missing more often than not) isn't a big deal

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

During our last big battle, the party’s tiefling rogue boarded the bad guy’s airship and set it on fire... only to be promptly put to sleep the next turn, wherein the airship crashed and she couldn’t do anything to escape

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

I had my first session using my current draft of revisions for the Strongholds and Followers Warfare mechanic. I mentioned before I had a player who was not a fan of how overly simple and vanilla it was.

I went about setting up a movement and range system, unit type effectiveness, and some other mechanics we haven't used yet (new Pike units for handling Cavalry, weather mechanics). The guideline is adding enough depth to be interesting while not going too ham (I played with the idea of expanding the weather to include wind directions but nixed it in favor of "bad weather kills movement and storms may hurt Aerial units). I was also able to take this chance to include a Warlord, mixing a little of Schwalb's class with a scaled back Volo's NPC block. Gave them a war mechanic where they can use Battle Commands to refresh a unit early.

The player who wasn't feeling the basic Warfare was happier with this. There's still a bunch of work to be done on it, but I'm hoping to hear from the rest of my players about it soon and see how they are feeling. The campaign is leading to a period with a lull in warfare so I think I'll try to run one-shots to play in this space and feel out what works.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Conspiratiorist posted:

But people tend to be terrible at aiming it, and it also doesn't seem to occur to them that you can cast it *after* first softening up tougher targets, making it a no-save 5d8 HP finisher.

This. An Arcane Trickster can be pretty effective packing a Sleep spell to use on a wounded foe.

It can also be useful against an injured spellcaster who opts to go invisible. Target the correct area and you have a visible, prone, sleeping, low-hp caster who can be captured or polished off without much trouble.

It's especially useful against a badly injured foe with legendary actions, because while asleep they can lose lots of actions. Cast at a higher level to hedge your bets.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

If I wanted to roll a Teenage Mutant Ninja Tortle, what would be my options? Monk seems like the best best, but maybe some flavor of Rogue would also work?

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

If I wanted to roll a Teenage Mutant Ninja Tortle, what would be my options? Monk seems like the best best, but maybe some flavor of Rogue would also work?

Depends if you wanna be a leader, good with machines, cool but crude, or a party dude.

Kung Food
Dec 11, 2006

PORN WIZARD

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Barbarian. Backstory is he lost a race to a rabbit once and has been pissed off ever since.

Kung Food fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Apr 25, 2019

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

mango sentinel posted:

Or like, if you died and are now a petitioner on the Plane of Elysium, how much are you really wanting to go back to the Prime Material Plane?

Is the nature of the afterlife for beings from the Prime Material Plane(s) established in every setting to be like that from FR? The nature of post-death is very clearly dissected in the Realms, but I wasn't sure if that applies elsewhere. Krynn has been dead for years but that was never more established than "souls go to the outer planes" and, while it's been a while, the Dark Sun afterlife seemed to be grim and hopeless, which is fitting with the setting. I can't say anything for any other campaign worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

JustJeff88 posted:

Is the nature of the afterlife for beings from the Prime Material Plane(s) established in every setting to be like that from FR? The nature of post-death is very clearly dissected in the Realms, but I wasn't sure if that applies elsewhere. Krynn has been dead for years but that was never more established than "souls go to the outer planes" and, while it's been a while, the Dark Sun afterlife seemed to be grim and hopeless, which is fitting with the setting. I can't say anything for any other campaign worlds.

They're not the same across all settings, FR is special due to Kelemvor clearing up Cyric's mess. (And what we think of as the Faerunian nature of the afterlife wasn't really cleared up until 3e, with the Fugue Plane brought into game terms.) A lot of settings (including Dragonlance) are covered in 2e's On Hallowed Ground for Planescape, which discusses what happens in the afterlife for any setting connected to the planes at large. For Eberron, you'd want Faiths of Eberron.