Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah I've stayed at tons of AirBNBs and similar where the hosts spoke virtually no English and I spoke none of their language and everything was still fine. As long as the reviews are good, it's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
Going on a short trip to Budapest this Easter weekend, visiting some friends of us. Will be my first time there, so aside from the main draws (Baths, Parliament, Ruin bars, etc.), what are some of the cool things to do for a first timer? Thanks! :)

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

Chikimiki posted:

Going on a short trip to Budapest this Easter weekend, visiting some friends of us. Will be my first time there, so aside from the main draws (Baths, Parliament, Ruin bars, etc.), what are some of the cool things to do for a first timer? Thanks! :)

Budapest is amazing! We enjoyed visiting Buda Castle, and if I recall correctly, there's a little beer bar down the hill from the castle that had an amazing assortment of really cheap beers.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Chikimiki posted:

The citadel is very pretty, there's a few sad museums too that are very worth visiting, the topography of terror and the synagogue. On the Buda side you can walk up the hill to the last soviet statue in the city, which gives a really amazing view of everything

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
If you're into photography, head out to Momento Park on the western outskirts of the city. It's where they dumped all the old Communist-era statues in 1991 and there's some great photo spots there. And I mean in a genuine photography sort of way, not a #hashtag #instalove way

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Pinball Museum
A huge number of escape rooms (I believe the biggest anywhere in the world)
Sir Lancelot restaurant if you're a medieval/fantasy fan
Museum of Fine Arts for a nice ancient Egypt collection

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
I'm heading to Europe for 10 days and I am starting in Paris and ending in Venice.

We wanted to hit Vienna somewhere in the middle there.

Can I hit one more city? I was thinking Amsterdam or Budapest?

Also I was looking at rail passes but I'm not sure that's my best option.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I wouldn't recommend hitting a fourth city nor getting a rail pass. Paris -> Vienna by plane, Vienna -> Venice by night train (ÖBB Nightjet).

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

How is Corfu in the summer? I'm assuming there'll be plenty of tourists but my image of Corfu is that it's not really a party island like Ibiza or something and is still relaxing, is this more or less right?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Scratch that, looks like we're doing Paris >> Amsterdam>>Venice

Flights between those areas?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Train Paris > Amsterdam is about 3ish hours, so do that. Fly from Amsterdam to Venice.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
There are a million cheap flights from Amsterdam to Venice, check skyscanner. Paris-Amsterdam is a high-speed train line, though you should book the Thalys well in advance because the price goes up. Even if it's more expensive than flying it's worth it though - saves the hassle of going through airport theatre and being there 2 hours early and all that, and you arrive right in the center, and you save the environment.

Chocolate Milk
May 7, 2008

More tea, Wesley?
I’m late but in Budapest there’s a great museum Hospital in the Rock. It’s in the caves under Buda Castle where a hospital was created in WW2. It’s very well done (although not recommended for the claustrophobic).

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Entropist posted:

There are a million cheap flights from Amsterdam to Venice, check skyscanner. Paris-Amsterdam is a high-speed train line, though you should book the Thalys well in advance because the price goes up. Even if it's more expensive than flying it's worth it though - saves the hassle of going through airport theatre and being there 2 hours early and all that, and you arrive right in the center, and you save the environment.

Awesome info...Thalys was reasonable actually.

What about from Barcelona to Paris, flight?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Shibawanko posted:

How is Corfu in the summer? I'm assuming there'll be plenty of tourists but my image of Corfu is that it's not really a party island like Ibiza or something and is still relaxing, is this more or less right?

Yeah I think so, it’s a package holiday destination rather than a partier destination.

There’s an interesting old town there and some good beaches, but honestly Corfu was my least favourite place in Greece, mainly because of the garbage situation. At least when I was there in September last year, there were huge piles of garbage everywhere.

Apparently the main landfill on Corfu has been full for years, so the island’s garbage collectors have been on strike for years since there’s nowhere to put the new garbage. The Greek government built a new landfill elsewhere, but being Greece they built it on top of an aquifer and right next to a town, so they got sued by the EU for breaking laws and aren’t allowed to use the new landfill. Meanwhile the garbage just keeps piling up!

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Travel from Barcelona to Paris seems quite expensive

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Jaxyon posted:

Dude you're only going for ten days and already have three cities in there. Travelling to Europe isn't an achievement hunt, and spending three days in each of three cities is almost already too little time. Dont add a fourth stop.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Jaxyon posted:

dont go to paris then

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Hey guys, I'm going to the US for ten days and am staying in NYC and DC. Should I visit Miami?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Nevermind about Miami! We're considering Chicago now!

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

You should definitely visit the Grand Canyon if you go the the USA!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Jeoh posted:

Nevermind about Miami! We're considering Chicago now!

Deffo look for cheap train tickets to San Francisco while you're there!

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Hawaii seems like a nice day trip to put in there, how are the flights?

Everything from not-too-far cities to Barcelona seems to be expensive - trains Madrid-Barcelona seem even worse than trains Paris-Barcelona. Not sure about flights Paris-Barcelona. but sometimes there are just no cheap flights between major Western-European cities if there was no chance for cheap airlines to get in on it or not many holiday flights between the places.
Paris has a bunch of auxiliary airports that are cheap though, perhaps check those.

Or don't, because going to 2 or 3 places is plenty on such a short trip unless you especially enjoy public transportation, carrying suitcases, being stressed, checking in and out of hotels / airbnbs, and waking up and sleeping at weird times while being jetlagged and would like to make your trip to be all about that.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
the best part of europe is that if somewhere sounds lame or its too expensive to get to then there are literally dozens of better options from literally all cities, east or west

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
seriously can we call this thread "don't try to visit 5 cities in 10 days" yet

or at least put it in the OP

e: my bad it's already in the OP, which apparently people just aren't loving reading

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

Two of my American family visited Europe for their honeymoon. They came to see us in England, went up to Scotland, then onto Amsterdam, Paris and Rome. All in 2 weeks.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Lady Gaza posted:

Two of my American family visited Europe for their honeymoon. They came to see us in England, went up to Scotland, then onto Amsterdam, Paris and Rome. All in 2 weeks.

I did this with a high school group when I was 18. Package/guided tour: London (3 nights), Paris (3 nights), Lucerne (2 nights), Florence (2 nights), Rome (3 nights). It was totally mental and all I remember was being in the bus or literally running through museums. For an 18yo American though, I was stoked for the opportunity and overall I thought it was a cool thing to have done.

I think more people would like package tours if they were really honest about what they wanted. I feel like there are a lot of people who have insanely tightly planned itineraries but prefer to micromanage it all themselves to save some money so they get stressed the gently caress out because the amazing guided walking tour of the highlights of London is actually a 45 minute tube ride from the hotel and you've got to get people up and fed and out the door and then find the meeting point by 8am so you can get to your show that you booked at 5 (saving 20%!) but now you have to figure out the bus service and and and... The nicest thing about the package tour was that I got to see all the stuff I did and had absolutely nothing to keep organised except where my camera was and have I spent all my money yet.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
We're gonna have 2.5 days in Vienna + 1 morning before flight out. Given the low amount of time is it crazy to book a full day Wachau Valley excursion? Leaning towards yes doing it anyway.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Booked and finalized my itinerary for the European part of my around-the-world trip. The intent is to do a "train journey" from western Europe to Istanbul, before heading out to Asia and beyond.

3-Days: Gengenbach (Black Forest)
2-Days: Heidelberg
3-Days: Munich
3-Days: Salzburg
3-Days: Vienna
1-Day: Sighisoara
3-Days: Brasov
3-Days: Bucharest
3-Days: Veliko Tarnovo
5-Days: Istanbul
After that it is off to China.

I have been to Munich, Vienna and Istanbul before, but looking for tips on the other places. Also, any ideas for day trips from Istanbul? I am thinking of going over to the Princes Islands.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Sighisoara is a small fortified town, nice for just walking around the old center for a day. Do take some time to appreciate the covered walkway to the church and the church itself. There are many towers around for a nice view. There are various nice little shops run by a single person with local productss/beer/wine etc. which I can't find back now because they're not on Google Maps.

From Brasov a typical thing to do is of course to go to Bran's castle - "Dracula's castle". While it's nice, it's also quite touristic and there are probably more interesting castles in the area that can be visited as well. I didn't do this but you can also go up the Mt. Tampa hiking or by cable car, which is directly adjacent to the center. The center here is also very nice, with narrow streets and nice houses and all that. You can see quite a bit of history like the German influence. There's also the Weavers bastion with a little museum inside which is nice. Or you can walk up to the Cetatuia fortress for a nice view of the center.
For food you really should go to Sergiana here, which is great and has lots of traditional Romanian things to try.

Bucharest: Big place, I can't summarize everything, but a few things:
If you're coming down from Brasov, Sinaia is a nice stopover for a few hours. Lovely place full of rich people's houses in the mountains, you can go up too.
You can do an afternoon trip to Mogoșoaia Palace which is on the edge of the city along the river. It's quite nice and lets you see some stuff outside the center. Buses go there.
Have a look at the megalomatiac Parliaments Palace. The Parcul Izvor next to it often has free festivals and such during summer.
There's the Roman Arenas, an amphitheatre where they do shows and concerts. See if there will be something typical there.
The King Michael I park has a rather bizarre setup where they took houses from villages in various Romanian regions in their entirety and set them up there as an exhibition: the National Village Museum. Interesting to see some peasant culture. In general this park is quite lovely. It has a big lake in the middle that you can take boat tours on, it has garden-like areas, you can eat there, and it's huge.
There's a bunch of museums near Piata Victoriei, including the National Museum of the Romanian farmer (yeah, you can see the communist influence on the themes they have museums on) which was quite interesting for me. Also a natural history museum and geology museum.

There are many nice places to eat and drink, one for typical stuff is Caru' cu Bere, though it is also huge and crowded, reminding of a German Brauhaus.
A popular thing here seems to be sky bars built on top of buildings, some of which are quite nice.

Entropist fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 22, 2019

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Drone posted:

Dude you're only going for ten days and already have three cities in there. Travelling to Europe isn't an achievement hunt, and spending three days in each of three cities is almost already too little time. Dont add a fourth stop.

I'm only doing 3 cities now. Yes I wish I had more time, vacation time and money aren't infinite. That's why people do poo poo like this.

underage at the vape shop posted:

dont go to paris then

Yeah so that's not really an option here.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Entropist posted:

Sighisoara is a small fortified town, nice for just walking around the old center for a day. Do take some time to appreciate the covered walkway to the church and the church itself. There are many towers around for a nice view. There are various nice little shops run by a single person with local productss/beer/wine etc. which I can't find back now because they're not on Google Maps.

From Brasov a typical thing to do is of course to go to Bran's castle - "Dracula's castle". While it's nice, it's also quite touristic and there are probably more interesting castles in the area that can be visited as well. I didn't do this but you can also go up the Mt. Tampa hiking or by cable car, which is directly adjacent to the center. The center here is also very nice, with narrow streets and nice houses and all that. You can see quite a bit of history like the German influence. There's also the Weavers bastion with a little museum inside which is nice. Or you can walk up to the Cetatuia fortress for a nice view of the center.
For food you really should go to Sergiana here, which is great and has lots of traditional Romanian things to try.

Bucharest: Big place, I can't summarize everything, but a few things:
If you're coming down from Brasov, Sinaia is a nice stopover for a few hours. Lovely place full of rich people's houses in the mountains, you can go up too.
You can do an afternoon trip to Mogoșoaia Palace which is on the edge of the city along the river. It's quite nice and lets you see some stuff outside the center. Buses go there.
Have a look at the megalomatiac Parliaments Palace. The Parcul Izvor next to it often has free festivals and such during summer.
There's the Roman Arenas, an amphitheatre where they do shows and concerts. See if there will be something typical there.
The King Michael I park has a rather bizarre setup where they took houses from villages in various Romanian regions in their entirety and set them up there as an exhibition: the National Village Museum. Interesting to see some peasant culture. In general this park is quite lovely. It has a big lake in the middle that you can take boat tours on, it has garden-like areas, you can eat there, and it's huge.
There's a bunch of museums near Piata Victoriei, including the National Museum of the Romanian farmer (yeah, you can see the communist influence on the themes they have museums on) which was quite interesting for me. Also a natural history museum and geology museum.

There are many nice places to eat and drink, one for typical stuff is Caru' cu Bere, though it is also huge and crowded, reminding of a German Brauhaus.
A popular thing here seems to be sky bars built on top of buildings, some of which are quite nice.

This is great, thanks!

Looking to do 4 hours in Sinaia as a train stopover. Doesn't seem like a fun place to stay the night, but the castles seem impressive.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

I'm only doing 3 cities now. Yes I wish I had more time, vacation time and money aren't infinite. That's why people do poo poo like this.

Yeah so that's not really an option here.

General rule of thumb: Train is always better than plane for train rides up to 5 hours. Plane and train are roughly equal for 5-8 hour train distances. Plane is almost always better for distances that are > 8 hours by train.

Due to high speed trains, using the driving time on google maps is not always a great estimate. Trains are nice in that you have space and it takes you from city center to city center, but they are often also far nore expensive than flying even including getting to and from airports.

Yeah we all understand the initial thought to try to do it all — after all you might only go to Europe a couple times in your life — but for nearly everyone it’s better to go to fewer places and enjoy it more, rather than going to Paris and running between the Eiffe Tower and Louvre and husk of Notre Dame and in the end not seeing or experiencing anything that you haven’t seen a million times before on TV and in the news. YMMV of course, but for a first euro trip 3 geographically distant places in 10 days is probably more stress than fun, but it’s borderline and might be ok.

Still, for three cities I’d pick one that’s not on the stereotypical set of Every Songlr Person Goes Here And Has Identical Experiences list of Paris, Amsterdam, Venice, Rome, Berlin, and London. Like I dunno, spend 3 days going around Lake Garda and Verona, or the Dolomites. There’s so much more to Europe than it’s megacity capitals.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Thank you for the transportation advice. The Thalys actually turned out to be a good deal for me from Paris to Amsterdam, but otherwise yeah I'm seeing plane being the better choice elsewhere.

My partner has actually lived in Europe at several points in her life, and outside the main cities, this trip is to see as many Big Cities as we comfortably can. And 3 is pushing it. I get that it's going to be tight for us.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Saladman posted:

Still, for three cities I’d pick one that’s not on the stereotypical set of Every Songlr Person Goes Here And Has Identical Experiences list of Paris, Amsterdam, Venice, Rome, Berlin, and London. Like I dunno, spend 3 days going around Lake Garda and Verona, or the Dolomites. There’s so much more to Europe than it’s megacity capitals.

If Paris and Venice are both Musts, they could take the train and pick a city on the route, like say Turin. That would also be more logical, whereas both Barcelona-Paris-Venice and Paris-Amsterdam-Venice are unwieldy and require flying

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Looking to do 4 hours in Sinaia as a train stopover. Doesn't seem like a fun place to stay the night, but the castles seem impressive.
That's pretty much what we did, well, perhaps a bit longer because besides checking out Peles Castle (very pretty) we also took the cable car up the mountain. After two cable cars there's a cheesy alpine hut kinda bar/restaurant at 2000m or so, they had a terrace and gave you some big traditional fur thing to prevent you from freezing and had traditional snacks. That was fun, but needs a bit more time.

Oh yeah, restaurant Hanu' lui Manuc in Bucharest is another very nice historical looking spot for eating. You can sit outside in a courtyard of a historical wooden building that looks like it was once a market or something?

Entropist fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 22, 2019

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Jaxyon posted:

Thank you for the transportation advice. The Thalys actually turned out to be a good deal for me from Paris to Amsterdam, but otherwise yeah I'm seeing plane being the better choice elsewhere.

My partner has actually lived in Europe at several points in her life, and outside the main cities, this trip is to see as many Big Cities as we comfortably can. And 3 is pushing it. I get that it's going to be tight for us.

Three days per city + a cumulative day in travel between them = your ten days. Three days is the bare minimum that I would spend in any of those places, but it really all depends on what your goals are while you're there. Seeing landmarks and getting your Kodak Instagram moment? Going to museums to see some history? Being stressed out as you constantly look at your watch/calendar in fear of upsetting a carefully squeezed-together itinerary? Getting to know the people and the customs of a particular city, and learning how its people live and what makes them tick?

If the answers to any of those first three questions are "yes" (and if the fourth question doesn't interest you at all), then you'll be fine with three days in each place. But I'd be willing to bet anything that one of those cities is going to grab you in such a way as to make you go, "gently caress, I wish we had spent all ten days here." Which is fine if you use it as a basis to plan a future vacation a few years down the road, but maybe not so great if this is your one and only trip to Europe.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Drone posted:

Three days per city + a cumulative day in travel between them = your ten days. Three days is the bare minimum that I would spend in any of those places, but it really all depends on what your goals are while you're there. Seeing landmarks and getting your Kodak Instagram moment? Going to museums to see some history? Being stressed out as you constantly look at your watch/calendar in fear of upsetting a carefully squeezed-together itinerary? Getting to know the people and the customs of a particular city, and learning how its people live and what makes them tick?

If the answers to any of those first three questions are "yes" (and if the fourth question doesn't interest you at all), then you'll be fine with three days in each place. But I'd be willing to bet anything that one of those cities is going to grab you in such a way as to make you go, "gently caress, I wish we had spent all ten days here." Which is fine if you use it as a basis to plan a future vacation a few years down the road, but maybe not so great if this is your one and only trip to Europe.

I get it. I just have limited money and vacation right now. I do plan on longer trips later on in life.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Having limited money right now is no reason to do a rushed trip to mark off a checklist when the alternative is actually enjoying the limited time you do have.

Do a week in Paris, fly to Venice, do three days there. Sure, you won't get to brag to people at home that you technically saw Amsterdam or Barcelona or whatever, but you will have lasting memories of two cool European cities as opposed to lasting memories of being stressed out and sitting in airports or train platforms for your whole trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Jaxyon posted:

I get it. I just have limited money and vacation right now. I do plan on longer trips later on in life.

You're going to spend hundreds extra on sitting in a train / plane instead of actually enjoying your trip.