Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol caleb gonna have to get a real job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

neongrey posted:

okay but that attitude just leads to stupid missing stair bullshit, i've had to warn multiple people about him because, surprise, assuming 'everybody' knows something like that just leads to people not knowing who really need to know

never heard "missing stair" until now and wow what a good and apt phrase.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Having a private channel on your own discord you refer to with air quotes to talk about trans people because you know you don’t want it screencapped

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

if gdq does not permaban him i will be extremely mad.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
waiting for cool matty to show up and tell us all how they started an investigation but couldnt find anything

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lol

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

ok last one i promise, when these are the people coming to your defense on the internet it might be time to take a knee

https://twitter.com/jackaltright/status/1119324424849776643

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

so how about them speedy games

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Eraflure posted:

speedruns are cancelled due to every popular runner being a pile of poo poo

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Eraflure posted:

the drama is an important part of the hobby

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
I heard a rumor studio sells bespoke hand-stitched klan robes

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

i heard halfcoordinated hates puppies

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
all my fav speed runners are pure

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

He did kill some dogs in Sekiro, but revived them afterwards, but then killed them again, but revived them, etc.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the only popular speedrunner i watch a lot is spikevegeta and if it ever came out that he's a shithead i'd be fuckin crushed

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
god bless everyone this easter monday. may your splits be golden and your pastebins pure.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Finally, my time to shine!!!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

FirstAidKite posted:

Finally, my time to shine!!!

Unfortunately being a giant pile of poo poo won't make you automatically a popular runner. :(

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

the only popular speedrunner i watch a lot is spikevegeta and if it ever came out that he's a shithead i'd be fuckin crushed

this might be a hot take, but imo it's pretty easy to spot secret shitheads because they'll tell on themselves way before any evidence comes out. none of the people who've gotten run out of speedrunning for being shitheads in the past few years appeared to be nice, chill people in the way they presented themselves, as far as I can remember.

people knew caleb was a shithead for years, it just hadn't risen to the level that was actionable/had much proof.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Kennel posted:

Unfortunately being a giant pile of poo poo won't make you automatically a popular runner. :(

:drat::drat::drat::drat::drat:

I haven't felt this owned since I woke up

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

axeil posted:

this might be a hot take, but imo it's pretty easy to spot secret shitheads because they'll tell on themselves way before any evidence comes out. none of the people who've gotten run out of speedrunning for being shitheads in the past few years appeared to be nice, chill people in the way they presented themselves, as far as I can remember.

people knew caleb was a shithead for years, it just hadn't risen to the level that was actionable/had much proof.

i don't really recall graviton being a known shithead before he was outed

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i don't really recall graviton being a known shithead before he was outed

I was surprised it wasn't more widely known but I submit I'm entirely up this community's rear end. He's made those kinds of rear end in a top hat posts for literal years.

like it doesn't seem to be commonly known that cheese is an transphobic dickfart either so I'm not show what people who don't huff this poo poo in constantly don't know

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

axeil posted:

Yeah, this kind of thing doesn't usually pop up out of nowhere. There's a certain recognizable brand of edgy/macho posturing that might not in itself be damning, but can kinda be a red flag that they hang with a gross crowd and have gross views.

It's not about pretending to be clairvoyant and claiming to know FOR SURE who is/isn't a creep, but generally if someone is secretly deeply terrible, their public persona will have some off-putting aspects too.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 22, 2019

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I was surprised it wasn't more widely known but I submit I'm entirely up this community's rear end. He's made those kinds of rear end in a top hat posts for literal years.

like it doesn't seem to be commonly known that cheese is an transphobic dickfart either so I'm not show what people who don't huff this poo poo in constantly don't know

I didn't know for sure he was, but if you had asked me, I would have said he probably is

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

Yeah, the people who don't have to deal with the fallout of these figures being shitlords and the impact their communities have generally give them benefit of the doubt. The clear cheese one is "but he's gay!"

Identity politics protects the bad ones, too.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
cyghfer and grav were openly being nazis on twitter for years and nobody noticed. as i said back in september of last year

Suspicious Dish posted:

i'm not a speedrunner and dont have any influence in the community so i can't do anything but given that people didnt know about rwhitegoose and gravitron and cyghfer and caleb last time this came up, spreading awareness in this thread is good imo. if theres anything i can do to help tho, seriously let me know

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

with goose and caleb that poo poo was always obvious as gently caress just from their streams alone. cyghfer less so, though i did find out about him being poo poo years ago and then got yelled at when i brought it up in the then-current gdq thread. i generally didn't really look at twitter or discord logs much before because i ain't got the time or patience for that poo poo and grav never really brought any of that into his streams so him being awful just never occurred to me.

that said, these days i do take a cursory glance at people's twitter if i'm checking their streams out for the first time, because gently caress supporting shitheads even just on the level of giving them stream views.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 22, 2019

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it's really almost like there should be some people at gdq that specifically make sure people that are participating in the event aren't utter shitbags but apparently it's hard enough to just make sure they aren't inviting almost exclusively men to participate

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
yeah like i look for clear chat rules and you'd better be sure if a streamer posts their twitter i'm taking a look at that thing.

I caught a bad vibe off caleb quick but i'm also pretty paranoid and also super quick to drop stuff i'm only casually engaged with if anything smells even a little bit fishy. with so much content out there i don't need to wait for a shoe to drop on the lovely ones.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
it's not just incompetence keeping gdq from expelling the bigots, it's a conscious decision to look the other way. Coolmatty has said as much on these very forums.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
caleb has the personality of stale bread so his popularity was always a mystery to me past the train wreck appeal of his roid rage but i guess being a safe haven for shitheads makes sense.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
People are averse to conflict in insular communities, especially if that conflict involves one of the elder statesmen. A lot of bad takes are just swept under the rug as "personal opinions" or quirks, and never really confronted because that's not what the community is about anyways, right? If you start a conflict, you're the one being intolerant and inappropriate, so you just ignore it or walk away. And God forbid you do that while being an outsider or a newcomer! That's how a bunch of assholes keep on keeping on in these communities, you don't wanna take the chance of getting ostracized over outside matters, especially if the rear end in a top hat is a "credit to the community". It takes something inexcusable to oust a Caleb from his position, unfortunately, and it's such a normalized attitude by now that people that actually think the person's behavior is toxic will still make up excuses for them.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

In other news, you all need to check out this Sonic 3 and Knuckles race from BTP3. The world record holder (Zaxon96) goes up against the fifth in the world (Chronoon), and the results are absolutely magical. First as tragedy, then as farce. :allears:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
looks like CLG dropped caleb, he isn't on their site anymore lmao

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

eonwe posted:

looks like CLG dropped caleb, he isn't on their site anymore lmao

Checking archive.org, their only copy is from the 20th and he's missing there, but the google cache still shows him.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

He isn't listing them on his Twitter, looks like a drop.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
he probably would have skated by without being dropped if what he said about his manager laughing about it was true, had he not decided to tell everyone that the professional gaming team that pays him money to play mega man thought his racial slurs were funny

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

eonwe posted:

he probably would have skated by without being dropped if what he said about his manager laughing about it was true, had he not decided to tell everyone that the professional gaming team that pays him money to play mega man thought his racial slurs were funny

It's at least really funny that idiots like him can't keep their stupid mouths shut and self-own extremely hard when exposed

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Studio posted:

He isn't listing them on his Twitter, looks like a drop.

don't worry, his clg manager is just out of frame, laughing with him about the hilarious joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

Dias posted:

People are averse to conflict in insular communities, especially if that conflict involves one of the elder statesmen. A lot of bad takes are just swept under the rug as "personal opinions" or quirks, and never really confronted because that's not what the community is about anyways, right? If you start a conflict, you're the one being intolerant and inappropriate, so you just ignore it or walk away. And God forbid you do that while being an outsider or a newcomer! That's how a bunch of assholes keep on keeping on in these communities, you don't wanna take the chance of getting ostracized over outside matters, especially if the rear end in a top hat is a "credit to the community".

this is a fantastic summary of the original ff1 rando community, incidentally