Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Are the Neptunia games any good? I see that they are on sale on Steam right now and I don't care they're anime games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Or don't since they literally told me to stop posting there Because I was on the rebound from a suicide attempt.

e: there shouldn't be any place on SA where that's allowed.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Turtlicious posted:

Or don't since they literally told me to stop posting there Because I was on the rebound from a suicide attempt.

e: there shouldn't be any place on SA where that's allowed.

That’s hosed up and horrible. I’m sorry anyone said that to you.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Long shot, but are there any other games that let me do stupid poo poo a la the engine on goonstation in ss13? I love that temperamental fucker

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

spasticColon posted:

Are the Neptunia games any good? I see that they are on sale on Steam right now and I don't care they're anime games.

you've got options from "gently caress no" all the way up to "not really"

Mantari
May 8, 2005
:D
Lipstick Apathy
Everyone play Liero.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Looking for good PC co-op games. Bonus points for anything mindless like a shooter or farming game because my wife doesn't like thinking too much after work.

Played the heck out of:
Halo series
Diablo series
Don't Starve
Stardew Valley
Terraria
Grim Dawn
Van Helsing
Path of Exile
Vermintide
Factorio
Overcooked
Minecraft

Didn't like:
Divinity: OS - too much dialogue and we kept wandering into areas that were too high level for us
Baldur's Gate - too fiddly
Space Engineers - I'm not sure what it is about this studio, but I've not enjoyed any of their games

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Rampage Knights
Left 4 Dead
Borderlands 1
Signs of Life
Titan Quest

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

LLSix posted:

Looking for good PC co-op games. Bonus points for anything mindless like a shooter or farming game because my wife doesn't like thinking too much after work.

Played the heck out of:
Halo series
Diablo series
Don't Starve
Stardew Valley
Terraria
Grim Dawn
Van Helsing
Path of Exile
Vermintide
Factorio
Overcooked
Minecraft

Didn't like:
Divinity: OS - too much dialogue and we kept wandering into areas that were too high level for us
Baldur's Gate - too fiddly
Space Engineers - I'm not sure what it is about this studio, but I've not enjoyed any of their games

Have you two considered a casual encounter with Destiny 2? If you enjoy bungie shooter engines (you should) then you will love how smooth D2 is. The content is almost even not bad these days!

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

Dying Light is real fun in coop, I'd also recommend Risk of Rain 2.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

LLSix posted:

Deep Rock Galactic. Kick around barrels and get drunk between excursions, then shoot some bugs and dig deep

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Portal 2
Octodad
Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime
Crypt of the Necrodancer
Astroneer
Any of the Lego games.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

spasticColon posted:

Do you like watching anime VN scenes for like 75% of your gameplay?

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat
Guess it's time I gave this looter-shooter stuff a try. It looks like my options are Destiny 2 or The Division 2. Any advice goons? I'm playing on PC if that affects things.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

LLSix posted:

It is once again that time in the day when I recommend Earth Defense Force 4.1: The Shadow of New Despair

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

a glitch posted:

Guess it's time I gave this looter-shooter stuff a try. It looks like my options are Destiny 2 or The Division 2. Any advice goons? I'm playing on PC if that affects things.

People can probably give you a bunch of pros and cons for both, but honestly one of the most important things might just be figuring out if you'd rather play an FPS sci-fi shooter or a third person near-future relatively grounded cover shooter. I ended up with Div2 because third person makes me a lot less likely to feel queasy, and it's a good game (though it's having an issue where actually loading into the game is taking upwards of five minutes right now, which is insane), but YMMV.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

a glitch posted:

I would give Division 1 a shot, if you can get it cheap - the setting is really evocative, and the Cleaners are some of the best villains I've encountered in FPSes.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Sonic & Allstars Racing Transformed
Worms WMD or Armageddon
Neon Chrome maybe (only local coop, so one need to use the controller)
The Bug Butcher

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

spasticColon posted:

okay I played Megadimension Neptunia VII on the PS4

It was fine. The RPG stuff was pretty basic from what I could tell and you got pretty powerful pretty quickly. I think there was a big equipment system but I didn't bother with it too much.

I think the only reason you'd play through those games is for the entertainment value from the characters and the dialogue. Some of it was funny in a dorky anime way – the idea behind the series is that all of the characters are personifications of different videogame systems. So there are some okay jokes about games and the game industry and some entertaining references. Like, I wouldn't necessarily say that it's "good writing" but it was amusing? A lot of it is meta-humor which can really irritate people.

At the end of the day, they're cheap, fanservicey games that don't really promise much. It's anime fast food. I don't regret playing through it, but I think there are probably much better RPGs that I would look at before investigating a sequel.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

a glitch posted:

Destiny 2 with Forsaken is in a really good place now with a fuckton of content. I've never really "got" the genre but I like this game a lot

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

a glitch posted:

Warframe.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

a glitch posted:

Warframes pmuch D2 but good.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Destiny 2 is good as long as you have campaign missions. Once you finish all of them, it's a lot of very samey grinding, but that's sort of the genre.

a glitch
Jun 27, 2008

no wait stop

Soiled Meat
Oh yeah, I forgot I've played Warframe before! Looks like other than that the best choice is D2, so I guess I'll give that a try and probably end up playing Warframe more when I'm done with that. Thanks goons!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

This is kind of specific but I'm looking for games that revolve around hunting creatures. I played a game recently that I really liked called HellSign, which has you searching for signs of ghosts in order to identify and properly dispose of them by telling you what kind of ammo/traps/etc you would need. I also really liked the monster hunting missions of The Witcher, where you would have to chase down clues to tell you what kind of thing you are facing and how to dispose of it. Kind of two parts detective game to one part action.

Monster Hunter seems like an obvious one but I'm looking for more a horror/paranormal aesthetic rather than just variations of huge dinosaurs. Something like theHunter: Call of the Wild has a closer gamefeel to what I want than Monster Hunter, if that makes sense.

e. The Hunt: Showdown is another one that I like.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 23, 2019

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002
this is maybe not fully a match for what you're looking for and i feel silly for mentioning it, but when you were describing hellsign's investigation stuff, my first thought was immediately Condemned: Criminal Origins, an older monolith first person.. uh, investigation brawler horror shooter?

the game casts you as an fbi agent investigating a bizarre series of killings and has several 'investigation' segments using the 20-minutes-into-the-future csi-style tools to determine what happened. the story is overall pretty disturbing with the suggestion of supernatural overtones.

its still a first person whatever at heart though and a lot of the game is fighting off enemies, though guns are very rare and can't be reloaded. you're generally picking up stuff in the environment to fight your crazed enemies, i've never really played anything quite like it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

the nucas posted:

this is maybe not fully a match for what you're looking for and i feel silly for mentioning it, but when you were describing hellsign's investigation stuff, my first thought was immediately Condemned: Criminal Origins, an older monolith first person.. uh, investigation brawler horror shooter?

the game casts you as an fbi agent investigating a bizarre series of killings and has several 'investigation' segments using the 20-minutes-into-the-future csi-style tools to determine what happened. the story is overall pretty disturbing with the suggestion of supernatural overtones.

its still a first person whatever at heart though and a lot of the game is fighting off enemies, though guns are very rare and can't be reloaded. you're generally picking up stuff in the environment to fight your crazed enemies, i've never really played anything quite like it.

TBF it might be unrelated but I did play and love it.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
My kid really likes JRPGish kind of games where you fight alongside (or they fight for you) some kind of collectible, levelling up support character. His favourites are the newer Digimon titles, World of Final Fantasy and Xenoblade Chronicles 2. He doesn't mind Pokemon, but prefers the more over the top anime style characters (particularly those in Digimon and Xenoblade) and especially ones with impressive special attacks or combos. He really wants to play Persona 5, but is a little young for the story content.

Are there any similar titles I'm missing that he might like? It doesn't have to be Japanese, but he does like mechs, swords and shoulder-mounted missiles and he probably prefers the mechanical + fantasy of the titles mentioned rather than straight up fantasy or science fiction. He'd also prefer turn based or ATB to strictly real time combat. DS, Switch, PS4 or low-spec PC.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
It's old, kind of janky (in the SNES kind of way) and I think you'd have to emulate it, but have you heard of Robotrek?

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
My holy grail of games is a base building/exploring game in the same vein of say X2.

However if the complexity of X2 is say, a 10, I want something at about 7 or 8. It doesn't have to be space, I like Mount and Blade once you get the point of having your own kingdom but I want more control of base layout etc, and I want the economy to have a POINT.

I've tried getting good at X2 because it sounds perfect but it's so complicated I give up halfway through my second 4 hour tutorial video.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Have you tried X3? I played all of the X2 and X3 games, and I seem to recall if anything they get a little more streamlined which might be what you need.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

kaesarsosei posted:

Have you tried X3? I played all of the X2 and X3 games, and I seem to recall if anything they get a little more streamlined which might be what you need.

My mistake, I own X3:TC. It's pretty overwhelming.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Have you tried Subnautica?

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Hwurmp posted:

Have you tried Subnautica?

I loved Subnautica, and if there were a point to the base building I'd probably still be playing it. I love the base aspect, but you only really needed one until you got the huge sub anyways.

Basically what I want is Fallout 4 settlements but there actually being a point to it. I've been playing it a lot lately making a fully automated system for melting down items and making ammo/drugs but I'm already rich enough and also level 98 there's again, no point.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

We've wrung out Stardew - what's the next best chill co-op game for 3 people?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

LegoMan posted:

I loved Subnautica, and if there were a point to the base building I'd probably still be playing it. I love the base aspect, but you only really needed one until you got the huge sub anyways.

Basically what I want is Fallout 4 settlements but there actually being a point to it. I've been playing it a lot lately making a fully automated system for melting down items and making ammo/drugs but I'm already rich enough and also level 98 there's again, no point.

Have you looked into Kenshi? It's got a very similar setup to M&B/X where you're just given a world and you can establish yourself however you want, including building up your own settlements and going to war with the pre-existing factions.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Have you looked into Kenshi? It's got a very similar setup to M&B/X where you're just given a world and you can establish yourself however you want, including building up your own settlements and going to war with the pre-existing factions.

I'm just waiting for someone to make a game with the same overall structure as Mount & Blade, Kenshi, Battle Brothers, etc. except with core gameplay that's actually fun.

Starsector comes close but it's crippled by lack of content and the bafflingly awful hyperspace travel mechanics.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I played it once and put a few hours into it. I may give it another shot, thanks.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

LegoMan posted:

My holy grail of games is a base building/exploring game in the same vein of say X2.

However if the complexity of X2 is say, a 10, I want something at about 7 or 8. It doesn't have to be space, I like Mount and Blade once you get the point of having your own kingdom but I want more control of base layout etc, and I want the economy to have a POINT.

I've tried getting good at X2 because it sounds perfect but it's so complicated I give up halfway through my second 4 hour tutorial video.

Probably closer to a 3 or 4 on your scale, but have you tried Dead Maze? https://store.steampowered.com/app/667890/Dead_Maze/. It is an MMOARPG with zombies. The core gameplay loop is mostly go to dangerous place and pick up things, go to safe place and turn those things into useful items (base buildings, good weapons, skills, cosmetics, etc.)

It's not super deep, but it is free

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

ducttape posted:

Probably closer to a 3 or 4 on your scale, but have you tried Dead Maze? https://store.steampowered.com/app/667890/Dead_Maze/. It is an MMOARPG with zombies. The core gameplay loop is mostly go to dangerous place and pick up things, go to safe place and turn those things into useful items (base buildings, good weapons, skills, cosmetics, etc.)

It's not super deep, but it is free

I will definitely check it out.

Truth is I miss old school SW:G. I was a mon calamari architect and I made furniture and made a house people could go in and buy shut from. I haven't been able to find a game like that since.