Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Thermopyle posted:

The main problem with zigbee is that it isn't zwave.

The main problem with zwave is it's not wifi.

The main problem with wifi is it's too power-hungry.

(also zwave is too fuckin expensive when I can buy xiaomi zigbee sensors and buttons for 10 bucks)

(also, if you like dickin around with nerd stuff ESP32s and ESP8266s are great IoT thingies especially with ESPHome)

The main problem with all of them is that they aren't the sweet dual-channel Wireless+Powerline system that Insteon uses *sigh*

But yeah, Z-Wave adds like a $20 premium to every device for licensing.

e: Now I am wondering if you could create a Z-wave "bridge" that fakes a wireless link between two nodes using a powerline protocol.

Hubis fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

skipdogg posted:

I can't find one either, both of those systems seem focused only on lighting.

Most modern subwoofers I've been around go into a low power standby mode until they detect a signal. Mine barely pulls 1/2 a watt in standby mode. Not worth putting on a switched outlet. A wemo probably uses double the amount of power that the standby mode of the subwoofer uses. Of course if your sub doesn't have this feature I could see wanting to turn it off. On but with no signal mine uses around 7 or 8 watts.

It's more that the subwoofer makes a loud buzzing noise when my Sony receiver goes off :lol:

The funny thing is that it never happened with my Onkyo receiver. I upgraded to a Sony one because the Onkyo was from 2001 and had 0 HDMI inputs on it. Sure enough, the Sony receiver, when off, makes my subwoofer buzz for god knows what reason.

I'm not sure if my sub would have a low-power mode. It too is from 2001. I don't know when they started doing that. Mine just has an on/off knob and a red light permanently on. I don't think it turns off or goes into a sleep mode when not receiving a signal.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Oh never mind then. The buzzing is a grounding issue I believe

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is it possible to give fine grained control to lights via HomeKit (or with the Hue app) to other people? I’d like to give people access to say the living room lights but not my bedroom lights for example.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Hmm, so you can actually use Node RED as standalone? It looks like there's actual device nodes, that you can output to databases, that there's dashboard extensions and such. Anyone here running pure Node RED?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

It looks like there's actual device nodes

Are you confusing the device nodes installed by hassio into their node red install with being something that can directly control a zwave device or whatever?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I've been looking over the Node RED component repository, and there's plenty of nodes to read and control IoT devices. This sort of tells me that Node RED can run standalone and do home automation.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

I've been looking over the Node RED component repository, and there's plenty of nodes to read and control IoT devices. This sort of tells me that Node RED can run standalone and do home automation.

An IoT device (read: largely IP) is one thing, and yeah....that's pretty easy. But it you're talking zwave or something then while there are plugins for that, they all just control "something else" that control the device. In the case of zwave it's controlling openzwave, which means you need to be running that, add your devices to it, etc.

I'm using home assistant because it ties all of this stuff together for me (zwave, rokus, harmony remotes, camera systems, etc) and I can interact with it all from node red in a way that seems a bit more consistent to me.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

This Node RED stuff is weird. Doesn't have boolean logic out of the box.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
Thinking about getting an august lock. Does it replace the entire deadbolt or does it just cover the inside portion and turn it for you?

How well does it work if your door has some settling? Locking our deadbolt is sometimes kind of hard and you have to either push on the door or lift it whole turning. What would a fix for that look like?

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
I’ve had mine for a couple years. It just replaces the inside portion of the lock, the internals in the door are still the same.

I use mine in a HomeKit environment, and I’m still waiting for official support. The built in features cover geofence lock/unlock so other than using a separate app it works great.

Only time I’ve had problems with it locking is when the batteries are getting low. It uses 4 AA’s, and tells you when it gets to 20%. When I change them when it tells me I haven’t had problems. My house is relatively new and usually doesn’t have problems locking though.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Keystoned posted:

Thinking about getting an august lock. Does it replace the entire deadbolt or does it just cover the inside portion and turn it for you?

How well does it work if your door has some settling? Locking our deadbolt is sometimes kind of hard and you have to either push on the door or lift it whole turning. What would a fix for that look like?

The easiest fix for the dragging deadbolt is to remove a screw from the upper hinge and drive a longer screw through it. It will pull the top of the door over and thus lift the deadbolt to more accurately align with the hole it goes in to. This won't work if the door is shimmed tight or already against the rough jamb.

The harder, but not terribly hard thing to do is to use a drill, jigsaw, chisel, knife, whatever to enlarge the hole and move up the strike plate or whatever you deadbolt has and move it up a bit.

Speaking of deadbolts, our front door handleset was getting kinda gross looking, so I just replaced it a few days ago with a Schlage Connect handleset. Paired fine with my Aoetec Gen5 Z-Stick and showed up immediately in HA.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Is there a robot vacuum thread or is this the place?

I want one that doesnt require access to the internet, because its a loving vacuum cleaner and it doesnt need internet access.

Im willing to compromise if it just needs internet access for initial setup/config and can then be cut off from then on. I dont care about not being able to remotely control it, I just want something that I can program to whizz around the loungeroom every other day to pick up the bird feathers and seed hulls from my lovely cockatiel (who is a dick)

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012
I bought this last year on a one day sale for $279 amd love it. Its $421 right now so not worth it, but if you can snag a sale theyre awesome.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071RY6M8J/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_g7gTCbG54XTKH

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Laserface posted:

I want one that doesnt require access to the internet, because its a loving vacuum cleaner and it doesnt need internet access.

Im willing to compromise if it just needs internet access for initial setup/config and can then be cut off from then on. I dont care about not being able to remotely control it, I just want something that I can program to whizz around the loungeroom every other day to pick up the bird feathers and seed hulls from my lovely cockatiel (who is a dick)

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-robot-vacuum/

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Laserface posted:

I usually rely on wirecutter for purchases for the home, but I've found this guy's youtube channel to be better for discussing robot vacuums. He reviews pretty much all of them and even comes up with options depending on your budget. Ended up buying a Roborock S5 because of his review and I'm very happy with the purchase.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Laserface posted:

I got the Roomba 690. I don't think it *requires* internet access.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Laserface posted:

Man it's nice af to be able to whip out my phone and tell my vacuum to clean up whatever I don't wanna get a broom. Regardless, I've had 3 roombas and 2 ecovacs and for the money the ecovacs win hands down. irobot stuff is super overpriced for brand recognition.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Any tips on how to make Owntracks work with HASS, without exposing the Web UI of latter to the Internet? The relevant HTTP API for Owntracks runs on the same web server instance as Lovelace. While I have it forwarded on the router to a randomly picked high port number, in the hopes it gets missed on random port scans, it feels icky.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Croatoan posted:

Man it's nice af to be able to whip out my phone and tell my vacuum to clean up whatever I don't wanna get a broom. Regardless, I've had 3 roombas and 2 ecovacs and for the money the ecovacs win hands down. irobot stuff is super overpriced for brand recognition.

I know I like my Ecovacs Deebot. I like that I don't have to even pull out my phone, I just tell Google Home and off it goes.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

LastInLine posted:

I know I like my Ecovacs Deebot. I like that I don't have to even pull out my phone, I just tell Google Home and off it goes.

Nice. I didn't even realize there was an Alexa skill I could add to do this. Only annoying thing is it'll only link the skill to one machine. That's dumb.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Croatoan posted:

Nice. I didn't even realize there was an Alexa skill I could add to do this. Only annoying thing is it'll only link the skill to one machine. That's dumb.

I don't know Amazon's setup but in the Google Home app you can use a nickname for each vacuum so you can have as many as you'd like. I'm surprised that isn't true for Alexa.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

does the irobot stuff integrate into alexa skills at all? So far had just been using the irobot app standalone and didn't think to try it.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

LastInLine posted:

I know I like my Ecovacs Deebot.

I wish these drat things would have an alarm when the bin is full. On a few occasions I've went to empty it and good lord these things work well and I should check more often.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Croatoan posted:

I wish these drat things would have an alarm when the bin is full. On a few occasions I've went to empty it and good lord these things work well and I should check more often.

Mine does? It blinks red and says something in the app (maybe, I never open the app but I think I looked the first time it happened). I just empty it after every vacuum because I have cats, hardwood, and a hair problem.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I have the same problem and should remember to empty it every day but I forget when I get home because the kids are running around. The only time I've encountered that error you mention is when it'll say "The main brush is tangled" and it turned out to be dog hair to the brim (loving spring shedding) or some of my wife's hair bands clogging it. I have both the slim model and the 601 and I love the 601 way more but poo poo, it's twice as much.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
So I'm looking to buy a bunch (handfull) of motion sensors, bulbs, and socket plugs to start automating things around my house. I have a Hue hub, and a few smartthings hubs, all already integrated. I also have an Arlo camera system that's integrated with Smartthings (motion sensors etc).

Smartthings lets me choose zigbee or z wave, so, what are my best options for being fiscally responsible while automating the gently caress out of my lighting?

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Does anyone watching this thread have any experience with Unifi Protect, or the Cloud Key Gen 2 Plus in particular? Management at work is asking about cameras and I thought this looked like a decent and reasonably cheap solution. I was thinking of grabbing one of the cloud keys for each branch and a handful of G3 Flex cameras.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I have been using the predecessor, UniFi Video, at a few sites for years now and it works pretty well. I don't have any experience with other platforms though so I have nothing really to compare it against. It does what it says it does basically.

There's some drama in the community over UniFi Protect because so far they have provided no real information on an upgrade path for those of us who run the UniFi Video software on our own hardware, or even on their previous NVR and UniFi Application Server products. Only those with a Cloud Key 2+ can run it at this point.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

wolrah posted:

I have been using the predecessor, UniFi Video, at a few sites for years now and it works pretty well. I don't have any experience with other platforms though so I have nothing really to compare it against. It does what it says it does basically.

There's some drama in the community over UniFi Protect because so far they have provided no real information on an upgrade path for those of us who run the UniFi Video software on our own hardware, or even on their previous NVR and UniFi Application Server products. Only those with a Cloud Key 2+ can run it at this point.

Yeah, I saw a few rumblings about that and wondered if that was a bad sign for future support. I initially considered building a pc to run Unifi Video, but I was also looking into buying some Unifi networking equipment, so the Cloud Key Plus and Protect looked like a good alternative.

Thanks.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

NofrikinfuN posted:

Yeah, I saw a few rumblings about that and wondered if that was a bad sign for future support. I initially considered building a pc to run Unifi Video, but I was also looking into buying some Unifi networking equipment, so the Cloud Key Plus and Protect looked like a good alternative.

Thanks.

I love UniFi networking, so if you're contemplating having a CK2+ for that anyways then there's really no harm in trying it. The supposed reasoning for this restriction is so they can sell it more like an appliance, where they know what your system will handle and can confidently provide performance support. I can't argue with that tbh, but I'm still not super happy about it.

Worst case, the UniFi cameras can be made to just do standard RTSP so they can be used with pretty much any standard IP DVR.

That said I have no idea how price competitive the cameras may or may not be with the generic market.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 28, 2019

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

The G3 Flex doesn't get quite the picture of the more expensive Unifi cameras, but the $76-ish price tag makes it fairly competitive than a lot of the lower cost cameras on Newegg. Having some experience with a few of the cheap cameras, I think improved software support might be worth the difference. Viewing RTSP streams through VLC has worked so far, but once they started talking about making recordings, I figured it was time to shop around.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Any recommendations for door open/close sensors.. something z-wave perhaps, SmartThings-compatible (sane thing I guess) that'll push notify a phone?

Also, audio sensors for glass breaking?

Thank you.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tapedump posted:

Any recommendations for door open/close sensors.. something z-wave perhaps, SmartThings-compatible (sane thing I guess) that'll push notify a phone?

Also, audio sensors for glass breaking?

Thank you.

I have a ton of Monoprice door and window sensors. Many of them are surface mount (for the sliders and windows) and I have the type that you drill into the top of the door for the regular doors. They've been working great for the 6+ months I've had them.

I'm using Home Assistant, but I believe they are smartthings compatible.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Motronic posted:

I have a ton of Monoprice door and window sensors. Many of them are surface mount (for the sliders and windows) and I have the type that you drill into the top of the door for the regular doors. They've been working great for the 6+ months I've had them.

I'm using Home Assistant, but I believe they are smartthings compatible.

How's the battery life?

Amazon has lots of reviewers complaining about poo poo battery life which is what has held me off from ordering a handful of these.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

How's the battery life?

Amazon has lots of reviewers complaining about poo poo battery life which is what has held me off from ordering a handful of these.

I don't know what constitutes "poo poo battery life" for sensors like this, but they've been working for 6+ months and aren't complaining for low batteries.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
I'm using these which are pretty expensive and don't have replaceable batteries,

BUT they're really thin and can be mounted on top of doors without drilling, can be used outdoors (which I'm doing), and the batteries last a really long time (I'm at 14 months on mine and they still report 100% battery). So the price has been worth it for me so far.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
They could very well deal with six month battery changes, even three months maybe.

They're dead set on Arlo Ultras to go with these, wirelessly, so they'll be in the habit.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Nearly all battery powered ZWave devices have a command/parameter to adjust the "wake time" which controls how often they wake up and report in when not being triggered. I wonder if maybe the Monoprice ones have this set too low by default? Or whatever Zwave hub they are using them with is setting it too low...

I have several Ecolink branded Zwave door/window sensors. Many are 2 years old and still reporting more than 75% battery left on their original factory battery. Even my front door one which averages at least 10 activations a day, if not more. My Ecolink's defaulted to a wake time of 24 hours I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
I'll be ordering some of the cheap Xiaomi zigbee ones at some point. The battery on the Xiaomi presence/body sensors that I already have seem to be holding up pretty well.