Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Deviant posted:

Step Oh my God: Unplug soundaktor
Step 0: Wheel locks + Dashcam
Step 1: Spare tire + Kit
Step 2: Import Euro Armrest.

Plus a VCDS cable/software package. Which one is best?

Are there different 'versions' of the white color? That looks way nicer than most white R pictures i've seen. Congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Nuts and Gum posted:

Are there different 'versions' of the white color? That looks way nicer than most white R pictures i've seen. Congrats!

It's "Oryx White Pearl", which yeah, I didn't like until I got closer to it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
DPF cleared with a little Italian tuning

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Well vcds software is free, they make money by selling cables. The company has to make money somehow...

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Ihmemies posted:

Well vcds software is free, they make money by selling cables. The company has to make money somehow...

Right but, from examples in the small company software and hardware industry their prices seem to be a bit exorbitant, no? I would think their prices put off a significant number of potential customers. They would be well suited to have a $50 basic tier or whatever then find a way to charge mechanics more.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Deviant posted:

Step 0: Wheel locks + Dashcam

I can send out a set of 4 wheel locks + plastic caps, only catch is you've got to buy yourself a new key. Lost my key, & moved to longer lugs for spacers anyway.

PM me, or email at my username at the mail with the G if interested

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

NoWake posted:

I can send out a set of 4 wheel locks + plastic caps, only catch is you've got to buy yourself a new key. Lost my key, & moved to longer lugs for spacers anyway.

PM me, or email at my username at the mail with the G if interested

Any idea how much the new key would cost? I've got a set of locks on order already, but I can cancel if it's a big savings. I'd also need the plastic cap puller, dunno if you have that.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Deviant posted:

Any idea how much the new key would cost? I've got a set of locks on order already, but I can cancel if it's a big savings. I'd also need the plastic cap puller, dunno if you have that.

My only hit for this lock key was on UK Ebay, GBP 17.70, and the cap puller is part # 6X0012243 around $2-$5 on Amazon/Ebay. My 4 bolts are all the 8-point star type, seen here;

NoWake fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 23, 2019

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

CommieGIR posted:

DPF cleared with a little Italian tuning

I think I read somewhere that the 3.0TDI only burns off the crap in the DPF when it's revving at over 2K. Mine revs at about 1850/1900 at 70mph (UK speed limit) so you do have to give it a bit of a tear about to get it to work.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

fuckin :lol:

the car already has wheel locks and they didn't give me a key.

guess i'mma go raise hell about that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

biglads posted:

I think I read somewhere that the 3.0TDI only burns off the crap in the DPF when it's revving at over 2K. Mine revs at about 1850/1900 at 70mph (UK speed limit) so you do have to give it a bit of a tear about to get it to work.

Yeah, that's what the user manual said, it actually tells you to shift into S or use the Tiptronic/Paddle shifters and drive it hard and fast.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

obi_ant posted:

Anyone here own a Sportwagen?

I just bought a 2015 TDI almost two weeks ago that I'm digging so far.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Deviant posted:

fuckin :lol:

the car already has wheel locks and they didn't give me a key.

guess i'mma go raise hell about that.

It's probably in the trunk or glovebox, take a look before you give them too much poo poo and look like an rear end in a top hat.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

It's probably in the trunk or glovebox, take a look before you give them too much poo poo and look like an rear end in a top hat.

I even pulled up the carpet in the trunk, thx.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
That's pretty bogus.. Glad you're finding out now instead of a flat tire turning into a week with a rental. If anything they should replace your locks with regular lugs.

I went to the dealer to get a replacement key - they couldnt sell me one by itself without a set of locking lugs, but they could swap the locks out for regular lug bolts for $35 installed. I said cool, and got my car back 30 mins later.

"Thanks a lot. Where did you put the locking lugs you took off?"

VW: "We threw those away for you"

"Can I have them? They're mine. It's not like they're broken, I just need to find the key I lost."

VW: "I guess... but we'll have to dig them out of the trash for you"

:mad:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

NoWake posted:

That's pretty bogus.. Glad you're finding out now instead of a flat tire turning into a week with a rental. If anything they should replace your locks with regular lugs.

I went to the dealer to get a replacement key - they couldnt sell me one by itself without a set of locking lugs, but they could swap the locks out for regular lug bolts for $35 installed. I said cool, and got my car back 30 mins later.

"Thanks a lot. Where did you put the locking lugs you took off?"

VW: "We threw those away for you"

"Can I have them? They're mine. It's not like they're broken, I just need to find the key I lost."

VW: "I guess... but we'll have to dig them out of the trash for you"

:mad:

Yeah, I'd like to get more locking lugs because that's how I bought the car, but if they hardball me and want to give me regular lugs, i'll live. They're more trouble than they're worth a lot of the time.

Deviant fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Apr 23, 2019

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Something Offal posted:

Right but, from examples in the small company software and hardware industry their prices seem to be a bit exorbitant, no? I would think their prices put off a significant number of potential customers. They would be well suited to have a $50 basic tier or whatever then find a way to charge mechanics more.

3 car cable costs 270€. That is 90€/car, two of my own and one of dad's cars.

For 90€ you can buy one hour of skilled mechanic's time.

Of course 270€ for one car is quite reasonable still, if a car costs 10000-20000€ or more.

Cheapskates will buy pirated chinese cables anyways, so there's no point to lower the price.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Deviant posted:

I'd also need the plastic cap puller, dunno if you have that.

For the caps you can use any random L shaped item to pull it off. Like a allen key or something.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Etrips posted:

For the caps you can use any random L shaped item to pull it off. Like a allen key or something.

The new bolt kit came with the doohickey anyway.

I also kept the old bolts, so much like NoWake, I have a set of bolts and no key for anyone who needs. Looks similar to his 524D, but mine came off with a key labeled "W".

Now let us never speak of the dealership across town again.

gosh this car is fun to drive

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Ihmemies posted:

3 car cable costs 270€. That is 90€/car, two of my own and one of dad's cars.

For 90€ you can buy one hour of skilled mechanic's time.

Of course 270€ for one car is quite reasonable still, if a car costs 10000-20000€ or more.

Cheapskates will buy pirated chinese cables anyways, so there's no point to lower the price.

Nope, not buying your logic. If standard OBD2 hardware costs $10-20 on Amazon, for a pretty good setup not completely random Chinese garbage, and apps like Torque cost maybe $10, I don't see the justification or value proposition for charging $350 for the cable. Sounds like a commercial misstep.

VVV ---- I'm aware... but for all we know it took a similar amount of coding 'effort' to create VAGCOM as it did to create Torque. I am still not seeing a justification that makes sense for the average consumer's decisionmaking, which I imagine any company like VAGCOM would want to win over if their primary aim is commercial success.

Why do you think Torque has the cost it does?

Something Offal fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 23, 2019

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

VCDS does a ton more things than a generic OBD2 cable on VAG cars, thats where the cost comes from.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

shy boy from chess club posted:

VCDS does a ton more things than a generic OBD2 cable on VAG cars, thats where the cost comes from.

What does it do over OBDeleven though? I think the only upside VCDS has over OBDeleven now is it can handle data logging better.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Not just that it can access European settings like the brake lights flashing, smaller adjustments like idle speed, making the windows roll up and down with the key fob, when the doors lock and a million other things that are options but hidden depending on the year of the car and the cable. Usually stuff that can be changed by the dealer tools.

I know on the newer can bus cars there are even more things accessible that I don't know off hand since I haven't used vcds in a while and my cable is pre-can.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think it's been discussed in this thread before, https://caristaapp.com/ Carista is a new-ish player in this market, and I believe it can do many of the functions that people look for w/ VAG-COM?

Haven't tried it yet but I'm considering, I want to be able to open the windows on my A4 with the fob :)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
If you want VAGCOM, get VAGCOM. There's a reason for its price.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

CommieGIR posted:

If you want VAGCOM, get VAGCOM. There's a reason for its price.

I mean, Carista is $20 and may allow me to do exactly the same thing as what I'd do with VAGCOM which is $200. The caveat being it's a subscription model, but as long as I'm ok never changing that fob setting I'm fine with that.

Plus, VAGCOM is limited to a certain # of VINs (you get 3 total for the $200 option) but Carista isn't.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Something Offal posted:

I don't think it's been discussed in this thread before, https://caristaapp.com/ Carista is a new-ish player in this market, and I believe it can do many of the functions that people look for w/ VAG-COM?

Haven't tried it yet but I'm considering, I want to be able to open the windows on my A4 with the fob :)

I'm coming from the GTI world, but Carista has limited functionality. I think the main disadvantage with VAGCOM is you need a device that can be hooked up via USB, and the expense of the cable, current new price of a 3 VIN cable is $200USD. Versus OBDeleven which is $80, but is Android only so another $20 for a phone if you don't have one. Still can't really find out what VCDS can do over OBDeleven other than data logging more efficiently.

edit: If all you want to do is just roll the windows up/down with the FOB then Carista is fine.

Etrips fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 24, 2019

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Oof, this is the kind of car you have to like, wash, isn't it?

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Deviant posted:

Oof, this is the kind of car you have to like, wash, isn't it?

Get it ceramic coated and you’ll have to put in a lot less effort in washing!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

Etrips posted:

Get it ceramic coated and you’ll have to put in a lot less effort in washing!

tell me more.

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

Etrips posted:

I'm coming from the GTI world, but Carista has limited functionality. I think the main disadvantage with VAGCOM is you need a device that can be hooked up via USB, and the expense of the cable, current new price of a 3 VIN cable is $200USD. Versus OBDeleven which is $80, but is Android only so another $20 for a phone if you don't have one. Still can't really find out what VCDS can do over OBDeleven other than data logging more efficiently.

edit: If all you want to do is just roll the windows up/down with the FOB then Carista is fine.

vcds is for professional diagnostic use and allows for module coding, bi-directional control activation, live data from all modules, etc. I'm guessing the cell phone apps are just for looking at pcm data and clearing codes. for the hobbyist, no vcds is not really worth buying, but if you work on vehicles for a living and see a decent amount of vw/audis then yes it's worth getting, I cant think of a better diagnostic system for VAG cars for the money.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
It's a great tool but a bit of overkill for just basic stuff like changing variables about windows, key fobs, dsg poo poo, ECT.

Unless you really like fiddling with poo poo.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Deviant posted:

tell me more.

https://youtu.be/KY-8KyRrOuE

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

:stare:

asmallrabbit
Dec 15, 2005
(Canada)

So i'm looking at a 2018 S4 at a dealership near me that was a previous demo car. I went and checked it out, and it seems to be in good shape, it has 9900km on it and has decent discount on it. But im not sure if there is anything else i should be watching out for or how much room i could still negotiate on the price.

MSRP Base price: 62,100

Carbon Atlas Inlays : 900

Red Brake Calipers: 500

quattro w/rear sport differential: 1900

S adaptive damping Suspension: 1000

Heads Up Display: 1100

TOTAL MSRP 67500

DISCOUNT -13000

SALE PRICE 54500

DEALER OPTIONS AND CHARGES

Documentation Fee 495

AMVIC Fee 6.25

Tire Recycling 20

AC tax 100

Freight and PDI 2095

Audi All Season Package 995

Xpel Rock Guard 1299

Audi Security Etch 299

TOTAL SALES PRICE 59809.25

GST 2990.46

TOTAL 62799.71

The summer tires it comes with are brand new, as it was used over the winter. The warranty in service date was July of 2018, so a year of the warranty is gone. I was thinking if i could get it down to 60k all in with Audi Care included that would be a good deal, but should i go lower considering it has 10,000km on it already and was a demo?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

asmallrabbit posted:

The summer tires it comes with are brand new, as it was used over the winter. The warranty in service date was July of 2018, so a year of the warranty is gone. I was thinking if i could get it down to 60k all in with Audi Care included that would be a good deal, but should i go lower considering it has 10,000km on it already and was a demo?

i dont see what harm there is in trying to go lower.

i got them to knock 1500 off my R and dealers normally don't loving budge on the price of Rs

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

I would definitely try to go lower. After all the options and dealer crap you’re back to the base model MSRP for a demo vehicle with ~6000 miles

They might not budge on the factory options, but at least get them to waive the dealer stuff like the security etching and Xpel rock guard

asmallrabbit
Dec 15, 2005

Baxate posted:

I would definitely try to go lower. After all the options and dealer crap you’re back to the base model MSRP for a demo vehicle with ~6000 miles

They might not budge on the factory options, but at least get them to waive the dealer stuff like the security etching and Xpel rock guard

Well the xpel rock guard is already on the car, are you saying I should try and get them to waive it anyways? I think frieght and PDI should go for sure, as why am i paying frieght and pre delivery inspection on a car thats already been used for a few months, demo or not.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

asmallrabbit posted:

Well the xpel rock guard is already on the car, are you saying I should try and get them to waive it anyways? I think frieght and PDI should go for sure, as why am i paying frieght and pre delivery inspection on a car thats already been used for a few months, demo or not.

Yeah, see if they’ll waive the cost of the rock guard even if it’s already installed. You didn’t ask to have it installed, and it’s not really something that adds to the value of the car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

asmallrabbit posted:

When buying my mom's car, we agreed on a price, then they came back with $1100 mud guards in the final invoice. I complained, they said it was on the car already, then took that cost off and left them on the car anyway.

Honda sells the mud guards for like $70 on their website...