Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

MrBlandAverage posted:

Using a TLR for macro sounds like a painful exercise in frustration. Have you considered what parallax error is going to be like?

It’s crossed my mind, but that’s about as far as the consideration has gotten. I’m not necessarily interested in true macro per se, but I would like to improve the minimum focusing distance. It’s something like a meter as-is, and it’d be nice to shorten that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

President Beep posted:

It’s crossed my mind, but that’s about as far as the consideration has gotten. I’m not necessarily interested in true macro per se, but I would like to improve the minimum focusing distance. It’s something like a meter as-is, and it’d be nice to shorten that.

There's still going to be a fair amount of parallax error with those. Already the normal minimum focus has some parallax, but the rolleinar ones will tend to cut off a lot of the heads if you're doing portraits.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just watched that fstoppers vid hawking Luminar, it seems like an interesting option.

Anyone in here got experience/opinions with it? It seems to sit in a place between LR and PS.. it looks like does adjustments and masking better than LR but nowhere near as powerful as PS.

I do think I like how they manage files.. there's no import, just point it at a directory on your disk.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

xzzy posted:

Just watched that fstoppers vid hawking Luminar, it seems like an interesting option.

Anyone in here got experience/opinions with it? It seems to sit in a place between LR and PS.. it looks like does adjustments and masking better than LR but nowhere near as powerful as PS.

I do think I like how they manage files.. there's no import, just point it at a directory on your disk.

There's a good chance it will run like absolute poo poo for you. I had no problem with the Luminar 2018 version, but as soon as I upgraded to the next big release (Luminar 3), it has started taking an extremely long time to load images. This is a common complaint you'll find, along with the program itself taking an extremely long time to load. Skylum has been extremely slow at implementing promised features, as well as fixing this sort of stuff in patches..... that said if they manage to get their poo poo together and fix the bugs, when it does work it's actually a nice program that is mostly just as good as Lightroom.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anyone here roll with a Nikon F4? I just got one in the mail and I love this 80s brick. I do have one question though -- When I fire the shutter, I hear the unmistakeable sound of a spring reverberating for maybe half a second. The sound definitely lingers. I'm not concerned about it in the least, but I am curious whether this is common or not.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Don't know if its common to the F4 but lots of SLRs and lenses have spring twang when fired.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Martytoof posted:

Anyone here roll with a Nikon F4? I just got one in the mail and I love this 80s brick. I do have one question though -- When I fire the shutter, I hear the unmistakeable sound of a spring reverberating for maybe half a second. The sound definitely lingers. I'm not concerned about it in the least, but I am curious whether this is common or not.

I use an F4, there's the obvious movement, but I don't think anything persists.

I took mine to a Nikon service centre and got them to clean it and re-do some seals recently. only cost like $50.

edit: I've got tinnitus, so maybe don't take my word for it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The service centre thing is a really good idea, I’ll have to see if there are any in the city, or maybe when I’m in Tokyo next month.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

So, $90 for a first gen 5D is a steal, right?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Myrmidongs posted:

There's a good chance it will run like absolute poo poo for you. I had no problem with the Luminar 2018 version, but as soon as I upgraded to the next big release (Luminar 3), it has started taking an extremely long time to load images. This is a common complaint you'll find, along with the program itself taking an extremely long time to load. Skylum has been extremely slow at implementing promised features, as well as fixing this sort of stuff in patches..... that said if they manage to get their poo poo together and fix the bugs, when it does work it's actually a nice program that is mostly just as good as Lightroom.

That makes me very sad. I love trying new software and it seemed promising.

It's only $70 so I might give it a spin at some point anyways, but am gonna sit on it and see if the issues get dealt with.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

GWBBQ posted:

So, $90 for a first gen 5D is a steal, right?

You can probably get a newer compact camera for the same price that takes better photos.
5D is very long in the tooth now.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Ineptitude posted:

You can probably get a newer compact camera for the same price that takes better photos.
5D is very long in the tooth now.

Ignore this guy. Buy the 5D, it'll still kick rear end even with that sensor.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

torgeaux posted:

Ignore this guy. Buy the 5D, it'll still kick rear end even with that sensor.
It gets here tomorrow. I'm a big believer in "if it was good enough for NatGeo/etc. it can still take the same pictures today." Also, I don't really have much to spend on camera gear and my 30D died so anything is an improvement.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

GWBBQ posted:

It gets here tomorrow. I'm a big believer in "if it was good enough for NatGeo/etc. it can still take the same pictures today." Also, I don't really have much to spend on camera gear and my 30D died so anything is an improvement.

The big thing? A decent canon lens will still produce on this baby. The nifty 50 is a thrill on this camera.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

GWBBQ posted:

Unless the shutter stops shuttering. :v:

But for the price you paid for it, who cares.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
How's the Canon EFS 10-18mm? Just by chance I saw one on sale used for about $180 and since I never shot anything wider than the Tamron 17-50 I thought this might be worth it, or store there better options?

E: gently caress it's already sold but I'll keep an eye on these from now on.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Apr 14, 2019

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

mobby_6kl posted:

How's the Canon EFS 10-18mm? Just by chance I saw one on sale used for about $180 and since I never shot anything wider than the Tamron 17-50 I thought this might be worth it, or store there better options?

Get it dood, it's straight up the best wide angle crop lens for canon. The only downside is the aperture which doesn't make it ideal for astro but its great for all other wide angle uses.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
As edited in the previous post, the lens was already sold when I contacted the guy. Too bad, seems like it was a bit below the typical market value.

What's worse though is that I kept browsing the local craigslist equivalent where I saw the lens and found someone apparently already selling an EOS R + 24-105 kit for $1.7k. The R has its issues of course but at that price I don't see how you could beat it. Unless there was also this 5D IV for $1.5k with the 24-70 lens.

I'm all for a good deal but this... seems suspicious. The R doesn't have any unboxed photos so they might be only selling the box with a brick inside. These cameras are way cheaper in Hong Kong (and I wanted to import one selfmy) but even there the new kit is over $2k, the local price for the kit is about $4k so this is some pretty crazy depreciation either way.

The 5D seems more reasonable although the description says the lens is 24-105mm while in the photos it's the 24-70, but could be a brain fart on the part of the seller. Unknown number of shutter actuations. Normally I'd prefer the SLR but the 5D is pretty huge for travelling, and the 4k is only MJPEG I think and no fippy screen. On the other hand that lens alone is probably worth it.

Does this look like a scam and a good idea, respectively? Both are in my city so I can check them out in person before shelling out, though there's always a chance I'd just get stabbed instead.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Offer to meet at the local police station for both of your protection, and if he’s game it’s probably ok.

My guess is you won’t hear back.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Is anyone is looking to buy an instax wide?

I was planning to pick one up but $100 is the lowest I have seen on craigslist.

Checked Amazon today and they have open box ones from Amazon warehouse for $75 with an additional 20% off promo taken at checkout bringing it down to $60.

YMMV

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I wrote a bunch of words about using my Loupedeck.

Tl;dr, I like it but it's not without flaws.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Helen Highwater posted:

The link to your unboxing photo is broken. Also, disabling right-click is obnoxious and pointless.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Fixed the unboxing photo. I think the right-click thing is baked into the theme I'm using.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Loupedeck is super interesting. I immediately wondered if there was a way to reuse one of the MIDI controllers lying around my gadget room to do the same thing, and MIDI2LR looks promising. Going to play around with that this weekend.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Helen Highwater posted:

Thanks for this. I've got to get mine going!

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Has anyone tried using a Peak Design capture clip with an X100 series camera, or other similarly shaped mirrorless + pancake lens combo? I can't seem to find a good setup that doesn't leave it flopping around. Normally an attached lens would help to balance things out, but with such a physically stubby lens, it feels like it moves around too much.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

404notfound posted:

Has anyone tried using a Peak Design capture clip with an X100 series camera, or other similarly shaped mirrorless + pancake lens combo? I can't seem to find a good setup that doesn't leave it flopping around. Normally an attached lens would help to balance things out, but with such a physically stubby lens, it feels like it moves around too much.

I looked into it and decided to just stick to straps. The side you’d want to put it on is the back which doesn’t work.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I really wanted the capture clip to work and bought a few to try but it just does not seem to be a good option for me in almost any case. I always wind up preferring either a strap or an actual bag. If it worked with normal length plates I think I’d get more use out of it.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I use mine with 35mm rangefinders and similar sized bodies - which I guess are around the same size as a smallish mirrorless. I find that it only really works if you mount the camera sideways so that the length of the body is vertical and the lens is pointing sideways. If you have it lens down, then it just flops around and gets in the way.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Martytoof posted:

Loupedeck is super interesting. I immediately wondered if there was a way to reuse one of the MIDI controllers lying around my gadget room to do the same thing, and MIDI2LR looks promising. Going to play around with that this weekend.

I've got the Behringer Xtouch Mini with MIDI2LR, it has really helped me not hate post processing as much as I used to.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
So I've managed to find myself an amazing deal on 3 Einsteins plus power packs and wireless triggers.

The old 40 buck light stands I bought for speedlights are way over-loaded by these things, but I'm not sure what to get to replace them. I've considered some cheaper C-Stands, the PCB 10' Light stand, or perhaps the PCB boom arm. Is the weight (and possibly cost) of the c-stand worth it? I'm not professional by any means, so I'm hoping for something I can use both in a home studio and on the road.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Greetings chums. I figured I'd post my newbie gear questions here as the DSLR thread seems to be archived. Hope that's OK!

I'm looking to get back into photography and videography with a nice DSLR. I'm mostly looking for something I can shoot at night - from nightclub action to streetlights and fog, but also a bit of action shooting, for example motorcycles and wildlife. Something that does video well is also pretty crucial as the camera will be part of a larger videography kit (action cam, drone, my location sound gear). I say 'back' into photography because I used to shoot quite a bit in high school on film. I know the basic nomenclature and techniques, though obviously I'm way out of practice. I want something I'm not going to grow out of too fast, and I've got some cash to burn on kit, so I'd like a versatile DSLR that will last.

Initially I was dead set on some kind of Nikon, if only because my mother has shot on Nikon for the past 30 years. A friend of mine took me to Vistek the other day and showed me around, introduced me to some of the differences and went on about how he's moving to a Sony mirrorless platform after shooting Canon for years. Here's my main question, I guess: He wants to sell me his old glass and some accessories, so he's been pushing me towards a Canon body of some kind. He's quite knowledgeable and he's been helpful, and I know he takes care of his kit, but I'm a bit wary he's just pushing me so he can unload his glass, which I'm not sure is the best deal for me.He's got a Tamron 24-70 F2.8 G1 and a Tamron 15-35 F2.8 G1 (both constant aperture), which he wants to sell to me for about $1750CAD and he claims these will cover just about everything I'm looking to do. He said he'd throw in an intervalometer, some batteries, a charger and a CF card and call it $2000. Is this a good deal, or could I find better glass elsewhere?

Honestly I'm not even sure I want to go that route, after looking around at reviews and reconsidering my priorities (especially re: video), but I figured I'd look for a second opinion on it if I want to keep that option open. Thanks!

TL;DR: I'm looking around for a robust DSLR and enough glass to cover the bases. A friend has a Tamron 24-70 F2.8 G1 and a Tamron 15-35 F2.8 G1 (both constant aperture) that he wants to unload on me with an intervalometer and some other accessories for $2kCAD. Good deal, or can I find a better one?

Ugh, and now I'm looking at the EOS R "because mirrorless is the future anyway".

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 27, 2019

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Mister Speaker posted:

Greetings chums. I figured I'd post my newbie gear questions here as the DSLR thread seems to be archived. Hope that's OK!

I'm looking to get back into photography and videography with a nice DSLR. I'm mostly looking for something I can shoot at night - from nightclub action to streetlights and fog, but also a bit of action shooting, for example motorcycles and wildlife. Something that does video well is also pretty crucial as the camera will be part of a larger videography kit (action cam, drone, my location sound gear).

He's got a Tamron 24-70 F2.8 G1 and a Tamron 15-35 F2.8 G1 (both constant aperture), which he wants to sell to me for about $1750CAD and he claims these will cover just about everything I'm looking to do. He said he'd throw in an intervalometer, some batteries, a charger and a CF card and call it $2000. Is this a good deal, or could I find better glass elsewhere?

I know nothing about those lenses - they're presumably pretty good - but the focal lengths alone give me pause when combined with what you said you wanted to do. For $2K you could find a pair of lenses that *might* fit your uses better, and if you're going Canon Full-Frame (I believe those lenses are made for that, but again, dunno) there are a bunch of goons here who can tell you all the pros and cons of any given lens or collection. $2K for lenses is a great budget, with a huge range of choices. What about the rest of your budget? Body? Tripod? Other accessories? How much of what you already have for videography (including software) will play nice with a DSLR?

I suck at videography, so I can't help there. But for dimly-lit locales and "motorcycles and wildlife" I have some relevant experience, I think. A good telezoom, like a 70-200mm in whatever brand you land on, combined with a tripod is going to be your most-reached-for glass in a lot of those situations, at least until the birds/wildlife bug takes hold of your wallet and you blow all your money on something long enough to give you back problems immediately.

Tell us your budget, and what you feel you will gain in video capabilities by spending this money on a DSLR, please.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Canon would not be my first choice for video in a DSLR or Mirrorless body. Sony, Nikon, Fuji, and Panasonic all do it better with fewer compromises for now.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

powderific posted:

Canon would not be my first choice for video in a DSLR or Mirrorless body. Sony, Nikon, Fuji, and Panasonic all do it better with fewer compromises for now.

Really? I was under the impression that Canon (and Sony) were at the top of the game for 'non-video cameras that will do video'. I guess things change pretty fast in this realm. Can you elaborate on what you mean by fewer compromises?

I was actually starting to lean towards the EOS R, as my friend's lenses will still be compatible but it's nice and small and will be compatible with newer Canon glass as well, where the D5 mkIV may not. Of course, this is all predicated on whether my buddy's glass is a good deal for me at all, and with what you've said about Canon's video capabilities, that's even more to consider.

Video is probably more important to me than I initially thought, although the primary purpose of this camera will likely be to get glamour shots of my motorcycle in fun locales and maybe the occasional nightclub gig getting pics of LED light trails and people gurning their faces off. Wildlife is cool and all but I don't see myself getting into birding or requiring a mega-telephoto lens anytime soon.

ExecuDork posted:

Tell us your budget, and what you feel you will gain in video capabilities by spending this money on a DSLR, please.

Budget is pretty high, honestly, I'm spending a bit of an inheritance on this but I'd still like to be thrifty as there are other hobbies and investments I'm trying to nurture too. Let's say around $3k for the camera body (since, like I said I'm looking mostly at mirrorless like the EOS R now), $2k tops for glass (if I end up going with buddy's Tamron lenses I will probably offer him $1600) and maybe around another grand for a tripod, flash, diffuser, hopefully some kind of gimbal or stabilizer, a nice bag, etc.

Thanks for your help, guys.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Canon has definitely fallen a bit behind but I did a lot of investigation and the R is seems fine for video, people use it along side their C200s and what not as B cams. The 4k crop is a bummer but otherwise it's mostly youtubers pixel peeing who complain about it being marginally softer than a supersampled image from an a6400, but if you have the glass and like how Canons work already, I think it's. Although try to see if you can get it imported from HK, it's already much cheaper there that makes it even more attractive.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I mean, the 4k crop is dumb and one of the main things, but mostly they're really not a standout so I'm not sure why a person would start there from scratch if video is important. I mean, sure people who have C series cameras might want to have another camera for a b thing but that doesn't mean an average person starting from zero should buy one as their a camera. I just got done color correcting a piece for some folks who mostly shoot on C300 MkIIs with 5d IVs as extras and the 5d footage does not hold up and is a pain to match.

They may be fine but I can't think of many reasons for someone who doesn't have any current investment to dive into Canon as their main thing on the DSLR/Mirrorless video end unless they're thinking a C200/300 is in their near future or something along those lines.

powderific fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 29, 2019

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Alright safe, thanks for laying it down. I'm giving strong consideration to the Nikon Z6 right now, as it felt really good in my tiny hands and is currently on sale, about $700 less than the EOS R. Let's get back to lenses: I know above, ExecuDork said the focal lengths of buddy's Tamron lenses might not actually be what I'm looking for; can any of you recommend another option for a pair of lenses around the same price range ($1500-$2k) compatible with the new Nikons, that covers the bases nicely? Is having a constant aperture as critical to video as my buddy makes it out to be? Bonus points if I can save enough to throw in a decent macro lens for taking uncomfortably-close pictures of my cats.

Once again, thanks for helping a newbie out.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Mister Speaker posted:

it felt really good in my tiny hands
This is very important, go with this.

I was mostly thinking about wildlife and motorcycles zipping by on tracks / roads at some distance from you when I twigged on the focal lengths; pics and videos of people, music (and similar) venues, and stationary vehicles are much more suited to wide-angle work. Google tells me the Z6 is full frame so a 24-70mm constant f/2.8 is probably a great walk-around, general-purpose lens. If you find yourself wishing for wider, to cram more stuff into frame, then an ultrawide, something down around 15mm or even wider, would be useful. For longer, you should be able to find a 70-200 that nicely fits your budget.

Constant aperture is every lens if its stopped down to its widest aperture at the long end of the zoom range. For example, a kit zoom for a crop DSLR might be 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6; the aperture will not change as it zooms from 18mm to 55mm if the aperture is already at f/5.6 or darker. But I get your buddy's point - constant-aperture zooms are more expensive to make, so they are also higher-quality generally than the variable-aperture zooms sold as starter kits.

Again, I'm useless at video but I have heard that most video work happens with fairly narrow apertures, f/8 or much darker, because the razor-thin depth of field so beloved of portrait photographers is distracting and difficult to use when you're shooting a scene with multiple elements, all at different distances from the camera, and all moving around. Still, though, for any normal still photography you do a nice wide constant aperture will be a very good feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There are barely any Z series lenses available yet since the mount is brand new. Native you could get either the 24-70 f4 and 15-30 f4, or you could use the mount adapter and get regular f-mount lenses in a similar range. I guess if I were you I'd start with a midrange zoom and see whether you feel like you need something longer or wide rather than buying multiples at the same time.

My work is 90% video and I'm seldom stopping down that much. Maybe like f4 or f5.6, but just as often I'm wide open. Maybe for ENG shooters it's different though.