Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ratjaculation posted:

Her tiny brain spent 3 seconds in overdrive for the best answer.

*Ok brain, you almost slipped up there. How do we get out of this pickle?*

"They smelt better than most Muslims"

*High five*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

AceOfFlames posted:

I'm sorry but if someone steals my wallet, I'm calling the police. What happens to them is not my problem.

Seriously, have we gotten to the point where the choices are "LITERAL Nazi dictatorship" and "Never call the police for any reason, if you are the victim of a crime... Uh... Don't be"

Yes, but you're clearly not the sort of person who goes to big protests and breaks the law, fully aware of the consequences. You just gurn about how awful it all is while not wanting to do anything about it. Which I've certainly been guilty of but still.

Seriously, hundreds of people at the Extinction Rebellion are getting lifted by the polis and you think it's acceptable to loving narc someone out? I dunno, maybe I'm just a grumpy old oval office at this point but don't most people know not to take valuables with them to a protest anyway? You could get pushed over, smashed on the head with a truncheon by a wannabe Gestapo twat, poo poo gets broken, poo poo falls out of pockets. Just don't do it. Use some loving common sense. If you're prepared to get arrested you should probably be prepared to go out without your phone & your credit cards. Take enough money to get where you need to go and home again, a bit for something to eat & drink but for goodness sake, don't take anything you can't afford to lose.

Nobody is saying "literally never call the polis in any circumstances". There's a difference between having your house broken into and narcing AT A loving PROTEST WHERE ACTIVISTS ARE BEING ARRESTED FOR GODSAKE. If you can't see how the police are not your friends, not your allies in that scenario then I don't even know.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 22, 2019

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

AceOfFlames posted:

I'm sorry but if someone steals my wallet, I'm calling the police. What happens to them is not my problem.

Seriously, have we gotten to the point where the choices are "LITERAL Nazi dictatorship" and "Never call the police for any reason, if you are the victim of a crime... Uh... Don't be"

Do you have so much hate that you would see someone deported, ripped away from friends, family, everyone and everything they know and sent far, far away just because they picked your pocket?

You could compare it to imprisonment but deportation is usually much worse and if they happen to be hardened criminals you're only shifting the burden to others instead of dealing with it responsibly.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Yes, but you're clearly not the sort of person who goes to big protests and breaks the law, fully aware of the consequences. You just gurn about how awful it all is while not wanting to do anything about it. Which I've certainly been guilty of but still.

Seriously, hundreds of people at the Extinction Rebellion are getting lifted by the polis and you think it's acceptable to loving narc someone out? I dunno, maybe I'm just a grumpy old oval office at this point but don't most people know not to take valuables with them to a protest anyway? You could get pushed over, smashed on the head with a truncheon by a wannabe Gestapo twat, poo poo gets broken, poo poo falls out of pockets. Just don't do it. Use some loving common sense. If you're prepared to get arrested you should probably be prepared to go out without your phone & your credit cards. Take enough money to get where you need to go and home again, a bit for something to eat & drink but for goodness sake, don't take anything you can't afford to lose.

Fair enough. I guess in this very particular context it makes sense. I confused it with a general principle.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Is it OK to be annoyed by Laurie Penny? I find her an insufferable posh priviliged Oxbridge twit who won't shut about how she's actually really kooky and basically a "manic pixie dream girl but in a good way" to the point she wrote more than one article trying to take down Zooey Deschenal.
I thought she was done after she let herself get owned by David Starkey of all people, but I think her articles on Milo (which I thought were alright tbh) got her written off by leftists and libs.

So yeah, its fine to be annoyed by her.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Is it OK to be annoyed by Laurie Penny? I find her an insufferable posh priviliged Oxbridge twit who won't shut about how she's actually really kooky and basically a "manic pixie dream girl but in a good way" to the point she wrote more than one article trying to take down Zooey Deschenal.

https://twitter.com/PennyRed/status/249918391215874048

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Christ I forgot how weirdly chummy she gets with the absolute worst people.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Unkempt posted:

:science: Most Android phones use a processor that's pretty much a direct descendant of the BBC Micro's :science:

edit, uh, co-processor. It's basically Acorn stuff, anyway.

ARM architecture is completely unrelated to the Beeb, but yes the A stands for Acorn.

If anyone is interested, the docudrama Micro Men, featuring Pointless Bloke and Bilbo Baggins as Clive Sinclair and Chris Curry, documents those bizarre days of the early eighties when for a while every third Street in the country seemed to have a computer manufacturer. Sinclair loving hates it so it's probably fairly accurate, and Alan Sugar has a late appearance as a villain.

Whisper it, but those days (and their legacy of the UK still punching way above it's weight in the computer industry) are mostly due to Thatcher, who used the NEB to support a lot of those early micro manufacturers, and insisted on mandatory computer instruction at schools (even if in my school it consisted of ten minutes with LOGO then playing The Hobbit as a class)

Also that NEB is almost exactly what Big Bad John is proposing with his National Investment Bank idea, the loving Stalinist.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

AceOfFlames posted:

"Officer, I think that urban looking chap stole my wallet! Oh, you sent him off to yarls wood, where rape and torture are so prevalent the government had to order a cover up lest the firm running it lost money... well... what happens to them is not my problem"

AceOfFlames posted:

No, we got to the point that detention camps where unspeakable things happen to people exist in this country and a simultaneous point in time where you seemingly think it's fine for someone to run the risk of rape and torture by government paid thugs for the crime of stealing a wallet. Or, in this case, merely being suspected of it.

And now we are at the point in time where I say, go gently caress yourself.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

Nobody is saying "literally never call the polis in any circumstances". There's a difference between having your house broken into and narcing AT A loving PROTEST WHERE ACTIVISTS ARE BEING ARRESTED FOR GODSAKE.
Also the main reason that you call the police in that former case is to get an insurance number, not because you hope they'll catch whoever did it.

Because statistically they won't.

And under current funding might not even bother showing up.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

I don't really know her, other than apparently being waaaay too friendly with Milo, but what else has she produced/written?

Also does she have a dislike against Deschenal?

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

if there were actual pick pockets in the crowd, wouldn’t it be a pro-move to set the cops on them? time spent doing that is time they can’t spend on arresting protestors, dismantling barricades, etc

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

AceOfFlames posted:

:hai:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/SKinnock/status/1120276243235201024

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I loving hate that meme. Society and the rule of law is supposed to protect the weak from the strong. If I have to defend myself, what's the point?

Not to mention that self defense is useless if the other guy comes at you with a bunch of his friends. So you not only have to defend yourself but must also make strong friends and get along with them and hope they never betray you or decide you're not worth keeping around. How is that life?

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 22, 2019

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

AceOfFlames posted:

I loving hate that meme. Society and the rule of law is supposed to protect the weak from the strong. If I have to defend myself, what's the point?

Because the law has only ever had the barest passing interaction with Justice. Society should protect the weak but to do that it upholds the strong and lets them get involved in some polite victimising themselves.

The only correct response is not to hate the meme but to hate, and subsequently attempt to change, the reality it shows.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

AceOfFlames posted:

Police are around to defend capital. Not you.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

AceOfFlames posted:

Define society. If you mean the uncaring masses then lol. If you mean a small group of like minded people then that's a start. At least some effort must be made by the individual to make such contacts. You don't need to be charismatic or have good social skills. It just needs effort. If you expect to survive the coming troubles isolated and alone then sorry it's not going to happen.

You can't stop being depressed but you can stop being passive.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Really weird to see Kinnock not jumping on the campaign to knife Corbyn

AceOfFlames posted:

Police is run by the state for the state. They protect the state and they serve the state. They are not there for you.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Rarity posted:

Really weird to see Kinnock not jumping on the campaign to knife Corbyn

I think simply being smart enough to take a back posture for 2 goddamn minutes is something most centerists have never grasped but are starting to have to get used to.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

AceOfFlames posted:

Not to mention that self defense is useless if the other guy comes at you with a bunch of his friends. So you not only have to defend yourself but must also make strong friends and get along with them and hope they never betray you or decide you're not worth keeping around. How is that life?

No, it's really not and never has been. In fact it's almost back-to-front. The rule of law has always been gifting a monopoly of violence to a group of people whose job it is to enforce the status quo. The rule of law is about protecting property first and foremost and you know who has the most property? It sure ain't the weak!

It's at this time I officially welcome you to UKMT by strongly urging you to read the majestic Demanding The Impossible by Peter Marshall as your intro to anarchist and left-libertarian thought, especially useful on topics such as the police. Easily available at all good bookshops, but also there's a pdf on LibCom if you're feeling poor.

Everyone should read Demanding The Impossible, it's a history of anarchist thought but it's not theory and is very readable.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 22, 2019

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
In an ideal world you'd be able to report a pickpocket to the police and know that they'd face no punishment greater than a caution and maybe some community service for a repeat offence, but we don't live in an ideal world and before reporting someone to the police you should consider the possible outcomes for that person and whether their crime really merits that sort of punishment.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

crispix posted:

The em@iler has to be one of the biggest technology turkeys of modern times. It is hilarious that at at a time when dial-up internet access was widespread and broadband was beginning to see a lot of take up and PCs had become affordable he thought there would be demand for an ugly monstrosity that used a premium rate phone number to send email. He was still trying to flog these things by featuring them on the TV show in the mid 2000s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-mailer

The whole thing is very funny reading. You think he can't possibly stoop any lower but he always does! :laugh:

Holy poo poo that article is badly written. The paragraphs about how the device functions are barely intelligible lmao

E: funky device tho, would like to get my hands on one. Or ship it to LGR to review it!

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Oh boy AceOfFlames you should definitely read the cops behaving badly thread currently in CSPAM before you conclude that the police are on your side

It doesn't matter that most of the stories are from the US, it's only a matter of time before the culture this side of the pond gives up pretending it's better in any way

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Just take a look over at how the police are acting in France and try saying they're there to look after the people

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

AceOfFlames posted:

well, look at it this way - the rule of law is strong, and is often used against the weak, so sometimes society has to protect them from it. That's where ideas like "don't call the police" come from - often people feel it's better to handle things within a community, because the risks and consequences of getting the police involved are too great. Being able to call the police so they can sort out people who've wronged you without a moment's hesitation is privilege

here's a thing if you like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vk5xnEL8mYg

and yeah it sucks, but often the alternatives suck more, for other people, and on a regular basis, so you have to weigh that up when you go looking for justice

here's a different thing if you like, it's like choose your own adventure!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Kf4kyQabwQ

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

AceOfFlames posted:

the police will literally murder people if told that they're bad enough, they don't protect anyone.
you would think they'd protect their families but 40% of them are domestic abusers.

the idea that the police care about the rule of law is amazing when you consider any media depiction of "good" police has them breaking the law 100% of the time because they need to "get the job done"

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

AceOfFlames posted:

I read it as, "Don't call the cops because they will attack you."

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

AceOfFlames posted:

Hey OP,

Are you any sort of minority? Then don't call the police. Even if you're not but do enjoy any kind of recreational drug, don't call the police. Post in a bash the fash forum thread? Don't call the police. Even the few that become police because they want to make a difference for good, end up consumed by the systemic corruption. Most decent coppers don't stay coppers because between the caustic budget cuts and the thugs that go seeking power they end up finding something else to do.

Statistically, Actual Rich People aside, I'm least likely to suffer a bad run in with coppers and even I'd have to be in fear for my or someone else's life to consider them a go to. Unless you fall victim to a crime that makes them look bad for not investigating there's literally no loving point. ACAB is a thing for a reason. The sad truth is, if you're statistically At Risk to have an actual crime done on you, you're also statistically likely to have the coppers not give a flying gently caress beyond taking a statement/giving you a crime number.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

No, it's really not and never has been. In fact it's almost back-to-front. The rule of law has always been gifting a monopoly of violence to a group of people whose job it is to enforce the status quo. The rule of law is about protecting property first and foremost and you know who has the most property? It sure ain't the weak!

It's at this time I officially welcome you to UKMT by strongly urging you to read the majestic Demanding The Impossible by Peter Marshall as your intro to anarchist and left-libertarian thought, especially useful on topics such as the police. Easily available at all good bookshops, but also there's a pdf on LibCom if you're feeling poor.

Everyone should read Demanding The Impossible, it's a history of anarchist thought but it's not theory and is very readable.

Crap, this is long (836 pages). Does look pretty readable so I'll give it a shot. I have to say though that the fact that the intro says that Hobbes was wrong about the state of nature (I have seen the state of nature, its called "Boys only school") does not give me high hopes.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 23, 2019

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Not come across the source before so apologies if it's Wrong but there's some good Tory bashing in it:

https://sputniknews.com/columnists/201904171074210043-uk-tory-policies

quote:

Whatever misdemeanours you commit in life please don't ever sink so low that you vote Tory.

Think about it, voting Tory is akin to death. When you are dead you don't know you are dead. The pain and suffering is felt by others. The same thing happens when you vote Tory. The Tories are just like snow. They cover everything up and lie everywhere.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Bundy posted:

Not come across the source before so apologies if it's Wrong but there's some good Tory bashing in it:

https://sputniknews.com/columnists/201904171074210043-uk-tory-policies

Sputnik is literally a propaganda arm of the Russian government, alongside Russia Today.

Still, something something stopped clocks.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Sputnik was created because Russia Today was too obvious, they are essentially the same.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Glad my adblocker was on then. I'm starting to think it'd be far quicker to make a list of Good Things rather than all the bad.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's generally the case, yeah. Though I would generally suggest it's more likely to be a list specifically of good things than good sources.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Good things list:

1. Monster Munch (flavour TBC)
2. Chocolate Oranges (disputed)
3. Jeremy Corbyn

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

WhatEvil posted:

Good things list:

1. Monster Munch (flavour TBC)
2. Chocolate Oranges (disputed)
3. Jeremy Corbyn

4. gardening

this thread loves gardening.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

4. gardening

this thread loves gardening.

:hai:

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

AceOfFlames posted:

Crap, this is long (836 pages). Does look pretty readable so I'll give it a shot. I have to say though that the fact that the intro says that Hobbes was wrong about the state of nature (I have seen the state of nature, its called "Boys only school") does not give me high hopes.

you can skip to the end, most of it is a lit review of stuff from which contemporary anarchism draws very little. which is not entirely surprising: the enemy today is a multicultural, bureaucratic welfare state that draws a fifth to a third of national income in taxes and redistributes almost all of it, not a long 19th century monarchy revelling after the triumphs of 1848, nor the prospective promise/menace of the Soviet system across the short 20th, nor the tripartite/corporatist Keynesian state with prices-and-wages policies

e: but if your main concern is crime-and-punishment, the 1980s is probably the right window of thought to look at, for peak law-and-order panic flavour. the quick rundown of your menu: 1) green ("crime is a problem because of the industrial way of life"), 2) feminist ("crime is a problem because of the patriarchy"), and 3) ad hoc local government ("murray bookchin")

ronya fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Laurie Penny disgraced herself with that famous piece about Milo.

“‘You know Milo, your right-wing rhetoric is extremely dangerous and could have disastrous consequences,’ I told him, and then we had margharitaaaaaas and gossiped about boys!”

It should have ended her career. That said, I haven’t really seen her do much since so maybe it did.