Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
We do a Brown butter washed old fashion at my restaurant. It's pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Anybody do saline solution or a pinch of salt in their drinks? I need to do a side-by-side, but it seems like a reasonable theory.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

BrianBoitano posted:

Anybody do saline solution or a pinch of salt in their drinks? I need to do a side-by-side, but it seems like a reasonable theory.

I started doing this recently. Tried side by side and it is a noticeable improvement. I keep a dropper of saline on hand now and add a drop to every drink.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Most of my cocktail menus involve 2-3 drinks with either SS or finishing salt. What are you wanting to know?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

https://www.eater.com/drinks/2016/4/20/11466792/cocktail-bartending-mixology-tricks-daiquiri-recipe

I actually always salt my margarita in the glass and never on the rim.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

It doesn't work with everything but it's worth trying in everything

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Most of my cocktail menus involve 2-3 drinks with either SS or finishing salt. What are you wanting to know?

When do you know to use it?

Fart Car '97 posted:

It doesn't work with everything but it's worth trying in everything

Fair!

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Tried side by side

My man :hf:

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Salt does wonders for dulling perception of bitterness. Pour a little China China or Fernet and then taste it after adding a couple drops of saline, it's crazy. Great way to balance a cocktail without adding more sugar.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
I'll be visiting Long Beach sometime soon. Is there anywhere in particular worth checking out?

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Pinch of smoked sea salt right into the margarita shaker. Really good. However I tried much tinier bits of salt in other drinks and hated it. What are some that can benefit?

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

The brown sea is dark and full of terrors, but the paywall burns them all away.
Looking for a flash card type app to keep sharp on some of the more obscure classics, any advice?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Lokee posted:

Looking for a flash card type app to keep sharp on some of the more obscure classics, any advice?

I don't know of any app that replicates physical flash cards, so if you really want something like that I'd say to buy flash cards. If you want a recipe database, check out Mixel. It's a pixel art-based app that lets you fill a virtual kitchen with the ingredients you own and gives recipes based on what you have, in addition to potential substitutes for some ingredients. If you buy the add-on packs (which is just like $12 for lifetime access), there's hundreds of recipes.

When I'm in the mood to make something, I just pop the app open and see what's available. I think I've got around 70 or so drinks I can make with my current home bar.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

I don't know of any app that replicates physical flash cards, so if you really want something like that I'd say to buy flash cards. If you want a recipe database, check out Mixel. It's a pixel art-based app that lets you fill a virtual kitchen with the ingredients you own and gives recipes based on what you have, in addition to potential substitutes for some ingredients. If you buy the add-on packs (which is just like $12 for lifetime access), there's hundreds of recipes.

When I'm in the mood to make something, I just pop the app open and see what's available. I think I've got around 70 or so drinks I can make with my current home bar.

Seconding this. I have a solid 470 recipes I can make with what I have on hand.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
Anki is a flashcard program used by people who need to memorise trivia such as medical students or jeopardy contestants

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

So I may be able to interview Dale DeGroff. Anything special I should ask? Maybe if there are stairs in his bar?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

zmcnulty posted:

So I may be able to interview Dale DeGroff. Anything special I should ask? Maybe if there are stairs in his bar?

Ask him that, and then just stare at him until he leaves

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Ask him that, and then just stare at him until he leaves

Hey Dale, we'll see you in Tokyo in May!

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Kenning posted:

I made a punch for my girlfriend's workplace party thing on Wednesday and it was exceedingly well-received. It's an original that was designed to evoke the harvest and the sometimes gloomy chill of autumn (even though I live in the Bay Area and it's been 70 degrees all week). I call it

Lost Souls Punch

2 750 ml bottles Calvados
1 750 ml bottle Belgian-style quad (use something brewed with plums or the like – I used Judgment Day Ale by the Lost Abbey, which uses raisins)
1 lb. turbinado sugar
16 oz lemon juice
Optional: the peels of 2 or 3 citrons
1 oz. absinthe (I used Mansinthe by Marilyn Manson, which is 66.6% abv.)
2 qt. water

Muddle the citron peels (or just use lemon peels it will be fine) with the sugar and let sit as long as possible. Bring 2 cups of the water to boil and then use to dissolve the sugar. Strain out the peels and allow to cool, then add the lemon juice, Calvados, and Belgian quad. Pour into a 7 quart bowl over a large block of ice and add the remaining water to taste. Allow to chill before service if possible.

If you want to do it up, a bit of dry ice chucked into the bowl makes it fog over and sizzle mysteriously.

Made this as my first punch for a game night. Went over really well. Thanks!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Oh nice! I'm making that one next weekend for my friend's 30th birthday party. She specially requested it, which is fair, cause it's a hell of a punch. Can't believe it's almost 5 years old at this point. Glad it went over well!

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Any of you got a good orgeat recipe, or is this the kind of thing I should buy?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I've made it before and wouldn't really again. Fun to do once perhaps but for me at least the straining gets old quick and I don't go through enough of the stuff to justify the time spent. YMMV of course depending on your circumstances, but unless you anticipate making a lot at once and using it up, I wouldn't worry too much.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Carillon posted:

I've made it before and wouldn't really again. Fun to do once perhaps but for me at least the straining gets old quick and I don't go through enough of the stuff to justify the time spent. YMMV of course depending on your circumstances, but unless you anticipate making a lot at once and using it up, I wouldn't worry too much.

I've made the SE recipe once and it was great but I've never tried a commercial version so I can't really compare and say if it was worth it.

If anyone ever has issues with straining I always mention $5-$10 nut milk bags. Much finer than cheap cheese cloth, infinitely reusable, strong enough you can squeeze if something is going too slowly. I use mine ~twice a month for ricotta, but random recipes like orgeat always pop up and I'm glad to have it.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

BrianBoitano posted:

I've made the SE recipe once and it was great but I've never tried a commercial version so I can't really compare and say if it was worth it.

If anyone ever has issues with straining I always mention $5-$10 nut milk bags. Much finer than cheap cheese cloth, infinitely reusable, strong enough you can squeeze if something is going too slowly. I use mine ~twice a month for ricotta, but random recipes like orgeat always pop up and I'm glad to have it.

Do you wash it in the dishwasher? the laundry? or are they not reusable.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Hand-wash. I have a nylon version. Lay flat in the sink, soapy sponge and rinse each side, turn inside out, repeat, air dry.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

My friend's birthday's coming up and his favorite spirit is rye whiskey (usually Bulleit) - if I wanted to get something a little more upscale, are there any brands or reserves anyone could particularly recommend?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Thomas H Handy or Sazerac buffalo trace antique collection (good luck)
Lock stock and barrel 16yr
Knob creek cask strength
Whistlepig is a safe bet

Those will all be pricy - you might be able to find the Knob Creek for a good price though

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!
Thomas Handy rye is amazing.

I really like Willet rye.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Knob Creek cask strength is really tasty and not too pricey, should be easy to find as well.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Anyone have any fun recipes that use pineapple syrup? I made some on a lark to use up some pineapple and want to find some fun things to do with other than just old fashioneds.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Carillon posted:

Anyone have any fun recipes that use pineapple syrup? I made some on a lark to use up some pineapple and want to find some fun things to do with other than just old fashioneds.

Use with fresh lime and tequila for a nice pineapple margarita.

Bonus points if you char some pineapple as a garnish.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Carillon posted:

If you've got an event coming up you could make a Gowanus Club Gin Punch!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Kenning posted:

If you've got an event coming up you could make a Gowanus Club Gin Punch!

Ooh that does look really nice. I might even create an event as an excuse to make that punch.

ColHannibal posted:

Use with fresh lime and tequila for a nice pineapple margarita.

Bonus points if you char some pineapple as a garnish.

Great idea!

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Pineapple is so good, just make any of your favorite cocktails and sub in the pineapple. Gimlet, pisco sour, caipirinha, jungle bird, French 75, Penicillin...you might need to adjust the citrus a little, or add a splash of grapefruit. Grapefruit and pineapple is a great combo. Also ginger, allspice, cinnamon, clove, bacon, Chartreuse, Campari, dark chocolate, the list goes on

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

A fun variation on pineapple syrup is to make SRIRACHA pineapple syrup. Just add sriracha to taste.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Kenning posted:

Yeah Limmer's will be good for that. I nearly always use New Amsterdam for the gin, which is really mellow and tasty.

I just remembered one more punch you could do that's pretty much in that budget as well!

Gowanus Club Gin Punch

1 liter gin
1 liter green tea
8 oz. lemon juice
4 oz. pineapple syrup*
2 oz. white sugar
1 oz. Chartreuse (or other potent liqueur)
1 liter soda water

Muddle the peels of 3 lemons in the sugar and let sit for, again, 1-6 hours. Dissolve with the lemon juice and tea (4 bags or 4 tsp loose, steeped for 3-5 minutes, then chilled), then strain out the peels. Add the pineapple syrup, the gin, and the Chartreuse, stir well, then add the chilled soda water, stirring gently to combine, before slipping in the ice block.

*Made pineapple syrup by making a 2:1 rich turbinado/demerara syrup, then allowing it to cool before adding 1 whole cored, cleaned, and chopped pineapple. Let it steep for 24 hours, then strain through cheesecloth, squeezing to get all the good pineapple flavor out.

If you don't have Chartreuse you can use pretty much any other liqueur. Particularly good choices include maraschino, Benedictine, apricot brandy, creme de violette, pimento dram, or even just an ounce of your favorite bitters.

Really great! And a hit with my coworkers, a number of whom 'don't drink gin'

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
What absinthes are good? The pickings are extremely slim in VA.

(I'm willing to look into shipping some Mansinthe or St. George's, but please don't recommend that one you had at a monastery in Serbia that I could never get ahold of anyway.)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Albania's okay though, right?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I've always wanted to see those Hoxhaist pillboxes.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Halloween Jack posted:

What absinthes are good? The pickings are extremely slim in VA.

(I'm willing to look into shipping some Mansinthe or St. George's, but please don't recommend that one you had at a monastery in Serbia that I could never get ahold of anyway.)

Pernod is the classic choice. You could also look for Kübler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

chitoryu12 posted:

Pernod is the classic choice.

I thought Pernod was a pastis, not an absinthe. I haven't tried either, so I don't know similar they are.

Relatedly, I'm very open to being told that Arak is close enough to absinthe for cocktail purposes, if anyone can weigh in on that.