Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

The Mattybee posted:

this is a fantastic summary of the original ff1 rando community, incidentally

:wave: Hi mattybee I haven't spoken to you in a while hope you're doing well!!

Also yeah, to refer to neongray again, Missing Stair summarizes it perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

the only popular speedrunner i watch a lot is spikevegeta and if it ever came out that he's a shithead i'd be fuckin crushed

Spike has said on-stream he supports trans rights, but he doesn’t like discussion of serious issues like that in his chat.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

The Mattybee posted:

christ, what a shitshow

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

can't wait for the women only gdq that promotes diversity instead of actually dealing with the problems your main event has

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

The Mattybee posted:

Of any community, really

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Aurora posted:

can't wait for the women only gdq that promotes diversity instead of actually dealing with the problems your main event has

FIA (main racing organization group for Europe) did this exact poo poo and made a women's only series because ~reasons~.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

FirstAidKite posted:

Of any community, really

glover community is nice

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

The retrothon is nice, Gunstar Heroes is 6/8ths of a good speedgame except for the autoscrollers

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
the RGLTV crew are good people, they hosted a marathon for us a couple weeks ago for a friend who passed away suddenly, on like a week's notice. (I had my first marathon run ever! I did a stunt free enterprise run) We ended up pulling down a good twenty-five hundred dollars for his widow, which, like, our initial goal was five hundred and nobody was sure if even that would be hit. Really glad we could take that much of a load off for her.

e: also none of them who I know personally are the sort to ever have a heated gaming moment

neongrey fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 23, 2019

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
Oh hey, speaking of RGLTV they're helping host a marathon at a game store on May 18th and 19th that I got a run into.
http://nlss.rgltv.com/schedule/ is the schedule, I'm the second run of the marathon. First time actually on the schedule of an in-person event (old GDQ bonus stream doesn't count)!

Marathon derust means I got my PB down far enough that I'm in the top ten again after a few years. The WRs for both categories of Chocobo Racing were improved a couple months back and are pretty nuts.

willwc
Jan 1, 2006

Who's got the ball?
Yo shawty, it's the B-back

pumpinglemma posted:

In other news, you all need to check out this Sonic 3 and Knuckles race from BTP3. The world record holder (Zaxon96) goes up against the fifth in the world (Chronoon), and the results are absolutely magical. First as tragedy, then as farce. :allears:

Why would anybody, anywhere, ever want to run this game

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
They let me pick the date we posted the schedule so last Saturday we announced details for our next marathon, an online event running may 17-19th
https://horaro.org/mssf19/schedule

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

willwc posted:

I've seen enough wind waker any% to know no matter how miserable, pixel perfect or rng-dependent a game is, someone somewhere will grind it to death

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
god drat it, I was almost done watching that TMNT3 video of PJ and Mecha practicing their run for GDQ but then it got wiped off twitch, there's no backup anywhere, is there? It's the one this clip is from where PJ teaches Mecha the zombie turtle glitch

https://www.twitch.tv/pjdicesare/clip/CaringWimpyPicklesShadyLulu

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

https://twitter.com/calebhart42/status/1120933498657935360?s=20 Caleb is unbanned today. He's probably going to make a million dollars in donations on his welcome back stream and reach a record number of concurrent viewers.

It's interesting that his ban, which has literally zero ambiguity or confusion surrounding it, seems to be roughly the same length as that LoL Streamer who just got banned for maybe saying the N-word, but was probably just the word idiots in heavily accented English. The system works!

fadam fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 24, 2019

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I am very, very sorry that I got caught.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Renegret posted:

I am very, very sorry that I got caught. again

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

willwc posted:

Their terrible loss is our hilarious gain.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

fadam posted:

https://twitter.com/calebhart42/status/1120933498657935360?s=20 Caleb is unbanned today. He's probably going to make a million dollars in donations on his welcome back stream and reach a record number of concurrent viewers.

It's interesting that his ban, which has literally zero ambiguity or confusion surrounding it, seems to be roughly the same length as that LoL Streamer who just got banned for maybe saying the N-word, but was probably just the word idiots in heavily accented English. The system works!

"ive gained different perspectives" (on using racial slurs)

lol what.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
his couch is falling apart

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
A useful thing is to look at the top replies to that tweet and see what those people tweet and retweet and follow.

There's never any surprises.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
also has anyone posted https://twitter.com/dril/status/1120931073276276736 yet

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

A useful thing is to look at the top replies to that tweet and see what those people tweet and retweet and follow.

There's never any surprises.

No surprises but glad I don't recognize anyone else in there.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

love to be mildly reprimanded for a single digit number of days for promoting bigotry and put out a milquetoast video about how much i've learned from my harrowing ordeal and have the whitest of white folks named Jacob McSteverson congratulate me on twitter for being so brave and growing up so much while everyone else tells me not to apologize to the outrage culture

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

everyone was laughing with me, really

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

fadam posted:

it is a loving disgrace that they're letting him back on and letting him profit off his racism.

de-platform all racists/nazis imo.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

eonwe posted:

"ive gained different perspectives" (on using racial slurs)

lol what.

gamers have never been the most articulate bunch

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

axeil posted:

it is a loving disgrace that they're letting him back on and letting him profit off his racism.

Don't forget, they profit off it too.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

axeil posted:

There are a lot of offenses that don't deserve a permanent ban, but I never understood companies' reluctance to just ban people who use slurs forever.

Obviously, if someone means to type the word "bigger" but hits the wrong letter at the beginning, or if someone gets tonguetied/misspeaks like this LoL guy or Maximilian a few years go,they don't deserve to be gone forever, but there really should be a zero-tolerance policy in every other case.

Caleb didn't gently caress up and "accidentally" type the n-word. he typed it off stream then broadcast it. There's no ambiguity or problems with intent or context, he's just a racist, and Twitch shouldn't let him on their platform. Instead they give him what amounts to a shitload of free advertising to people with brainstorms.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I think, maybe, if you get banned for using a slur it should be permanent and also that GDQ shouldn't allow him to be at their events. Besides the thing he was caught on stream for, there's the transphobic poo poo and the "other" discord being referred to in the screenshots. He's garbage and it'd be nice if things actually happened to these people.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

Mr E posted:

He's garbage and it'd be nice if things actually happened to these people.

Capitalism for you, Twitch makes more money off the dude than they do off banning him so he stays.

In other news: just watched the FFVII run and it was awesome. Are there any other "must see" marathon runs with commentary that good?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Surprise T Rex posted:

Capitalism for you, Twitch makes more money off the dude than they do off banning him so he stays.

In other news: just watched the FFVII run and it was awesome. Are there any other "must see" marathon runs with commentary that good?

I found the FFIX run from this year pretty good if you like really long runs.

Also the Super Mario RPG run.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

twitch not banning him permanently is completely unsurprising. i will still be extremely disappointed if gdq does not permaban him, far more due to the transphobic poo poo, however.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Surprise T Rex posted:

Dragon Warrior by NEScardinality in 27:19 at AGDQ 2018 is the greatest speedrun of all time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgh30BiWG58

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

just got word from coolmatty, they've never once noticed a single thing wrong with caleb and he's going to be the frontliner for next gdq

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Kaubocks posted:

Dragon Warrior by NEScardinality in 27:19 at AGDQ 2018 is the greatest speedrun of all time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgh30BiWG58

That poo poo was T E R R O R I N S T I N C T levels of "how the gently caress do you DO that what".

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

fadam posted:

Lmao, this one owns because there's a Riot dude really trying to defend this streamer, but like, isn't Riot supposed to be big on stomping toxicity? Calling your team idiots is also bad!!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
gamer culture is diseased

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Joke comment: You would know best, Studio, considering you were a commentator for League at one point! :v:

Riot isn't the greatest when it comes to consistency. Digging around trying to find the dude you're referencing (TF Blade, in case anyone else was in the dark) I found out about LolTyler with an internal ban due to his constant toxicity (but still incredibly popular and unbanned on twitch) and they still backed off on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Johnny Joestar posted:

just got word from coolmatty, they've never once noticed a single thing wrong with caleb and he's going to be the frontliner for next gdq

We are proud to announce the new SGDQ "CalebHeart presents: Swole Games Done Quick!!!"