Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Really loved this btw. It's soothing.

thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

Keetron posted:

Could you post a watercolor vampire?

Yee-eees, but if you were hoping to learn something, man have I got bad news for you. I always used watercolours "wrong". Also, the vampires were elves, too, because OF COURSE THEY WERE.
This one has the lightest green for skin colour, very much influenced by Soul Reaver. I'd search for another with blue skin but both of the ones I had scanned were .. uh. I cringe a bit looking at them now.

For something more cheery, there was Drama in Club Flamingo in chickam today! One of the blonde chicks got their toe pecked so it bled, got isolated, and the other chicks just will not let the idea of getting that toe go. They're out for blood. So I call this one "Dreaming of Murder"

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

My hand was cramping up after grating cheese for an enormous pot of mac and cheese for my parent's Easter party. Two of those huge blocks of cheese from Costco. So my lines aren't as straight as I'd like them, and I could barely get any fine lines or detail in there. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

1971 Lancia 2000

1975 Skoda 110

1985 Renault Espace

digital penitence fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Apr 22, 2019

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Well this is weird, did everyone go on vacation for Easter? Bring me back something nice!

My hand is still messed up! The fleshy part of the base of my thumb is really sore, but it helps to massage it. I couldn't get the detail in the Laser and some of the lines are too heavy. The Samurai was better because I left it looser to accommodate my hand not being up to par. Profiles of cars are harder for me than the ones in 3/4 views or perspective. I'll have to focus on them more.

1986 Chrysler Laser

1986 Suzuki Samurai

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

I have been very busy otherwise and haven't had the energy to keep up my daily drawings :(

Tonight though I do have some free time, so I'm doing another art stream. Come by and chat! I'd appreciate it a lot.

https://stream.shinmera.com

(Note: chat does not need a password, just enter a name and connect.)

Shinmera fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 23, 2019

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Shinmera helped me do some drawing by drawing.
I produced this to get some linework and flat surface practice in:

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

stream result:

I did work on another one for an hour but threw it in the trash. Might do more streams in the evening this week.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Finally done feeling sick as a dog after, like, two whole months, and I'm getting back to learning digital painting. I'm really starting to grasp the importance of brush texture when it comes to giving paintings proper life, although the urge to smooth everything is still overwhelming at times.

(Apropos of nothing, posting your art is the worst - you start noticing a dozen countless flaws you hadn't seen before, and you gotta hold yourself back from spending another four hours tweaking.)

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

The last few days have been very mentally strenuous, so I've been neglecting my art. When I do art, it's on one of my projects I'm having a hard time with and spending hours on, which I don't think I can/should post in the thread. It's not to my standards and I definitely bit off more than I could chew with it.

I'll at least post some sketches soon, but I'm a bit perturbed at my efforts to try to learn how to paint on a digital canvas, especially since I feel comfortable using different physical paints. 'Why can't I just do that but on the computer' screams my sadbrains.

I'm using krita, I just don't have a lot of experience in using different brushes, thanks for the advice Crayon. I'm just having a hard time grasping how/when to switch brushes, and how to apply them.

Not to mention having to re-learn lighting again.

Edit: Thanks Al! I'll start with that, it sounds a little less overwhelming than testing out each of the dozens of brushes.

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 24, 2019

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Chaosfeather posted:

I'm using krita, I just don't have a lot of experience in using different brushes, thanks for the advice Crayon. I'm just having a hard time grasping how/when to switch brushes, and how to apply them.

Not to mention having to re-learn lighting again.

oh! i think i can help with this a bit actually since i've only been digital painting for a couple of months now and figuring out brushes was my first real hurdle (i also got some help from the stupid questions thread, which is a good place to post asking for help on these things).

what helped me break through was just focusing on four brushes: a full opacity brush for blocking out color/value, a pressure opacity brush for blending, a bristly brush for texture/further blending, and a bristly detail brush for uh detail. then, as i was painting and wanted to see if i could accomplish a particular effect or texture i'd go digging through the brush toolbox trying different things out to see what worked.

im not an expert at any of this by any means at this point, im just totally muddling thru with no formal training or experience, but starting super simple made sure that i didn't get overwhelmed and turn things into a muddy mess because i dont know what brushes i want to use so i use all of them

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

My hand is doing better after the '19 Macaroni Incident. Still cramped up towards the end of each drawing, but it's manageable.

I feel like drawing cars for 2 weeks or however long it's been is paying off, especially compared to my first few drawings.

1981 Chevy Chevette

1973 AMC Gremlin X

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I appreciate the cars you're chosing, if you aren't cross posting these in AI you should consider it, even just their chat thread would be a great place to share them.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

I appreciate the cars you're chosing, if you aren't cross posting these in AI you should consider it, even just their chat thread would be a great place to share them.

Hey, that's a good idea, thanks! I think I'll do that. I could also get some suggestions for future cars (and motorcycles) to draw, as well.
And thanks for the compliment, I've been trying to choose cars that are interesting to both draw and look at.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

More art streaming tonight: https://stream.shinmera.com

I'd appreciate people stopping by and chatting! Last night was a lot of fun, drawing and chatting with Keetron.

Chat does not require registering; just pick a name and click connect.

Shinmera fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 24, 2019

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Need to decorate my cube at the new job, decided post-it art would be a good way to go

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

drew this during Shinmera's cast:

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

I did some more animating for the game during the stream, and then did some sketches based on viewer suggestions:

Thanks again to Keetron and Lo-fi for stopping by! I think I'll do this around the same time for the remaining days of the week, just to keep the drawings rolling.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Birds

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Honestly, if I try to submit one per day that I missed I'm going to get overwhelmed. So I tried a legit attempt at painting a peahen's face and then went and did some vague bloodborne fanart.

Edit: Uploaded the wrong file. Fixed.

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Apr 25, 2019

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Okay, motorcycles are waaaay more difficult than cars to draw! Lots of perspective and ellipses to throw everything off. And the engine is a PIA jigsaw puzzle.
I think I was fairly successful, but it'll take some more practice with drawing them to work everything out.

2019 Triumph t100

This was the first modern car I've tried drawing, and it was also very challenging. I think I've only drawn cars from the 60's, 70's and 80's so far, so this skips a few decades. Tons of angles and folds on the front of the car that aren't on any of those earlier cars. Like the Triumph, I wasn't entirely successful, but I think I'll get better at drawing modern cars with more practice.

2017 BMW M2 Coupe

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Spending a few hours hanging out for an event every Tuesday... so I've been trying to sneakily doodle people and surroundings. I'm no good at this stuff because everyone keeps moving god drat it, but at least I'm getting practise.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

As promised, more art streaming tonight!

https://stream.shinmera.com

I'd love to see a couple of people in chat again, last night was a great time!

Chat does not require registration, just pick a name and hit connect.

I made an artist trading card. I'll post it here once it arrives.

Shinmera fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 25, 2019

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Tried a few different brushes on this one. Then I really regretted picking a turkey.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Keetron posted:

drew this during Shinmera's cast:

I'm feeling the bottom left shroom, it is perfect.

Chaosfeather posted:

Honestly, if I try to submit one per day that I missed I'm going to get overwhelmed. So I tried a legit attempt at painting a peahen's face and then went and did some vague bloodborne fanart.

Yeah it's not worth it to try and push yourself too hard, you just lose the joy out of it and make stress for yourself over nothing. Digging the monster, it's cool af.

:lol: This is freaking excellent.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Even more art streams tonight: https://stream.shinmera.com

Though I'm playing some games and will start with the art soon, at 20:00 CEST. Yesterday was another fun art time! I'm really happy to see some people joining to chat every day so far.

Chat does not require registration, just pick a name and hit connect.

I did preproduction for my calendar this year and then started on the first image. Didn't manage to finish it in time though so I'll hopefully get to that tomorrow.

Shinmera fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 26, 2019

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Hey Shinmera, quick question: why not stream on Twitch or Picarto? I would think those are more popular platforms for streaming art stuff.

*E* They also are easy to subscribe to and get notifications if a streamer is online.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

I'll tune in later, Shinmera. Need to pick up my daughter from the airport-trainstation at 11pm so I'll stay up no matter what.

Also I found this and I thought sharing is nice: https://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/water.html

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

IronSaber posted:

Hey Shinmera, quick question: why not stream on Twitch or Picarto? I would think those are more popular platforms for streaming art stuff.

*E* They also are easy to subscribe to and get notifications if a streamer is online.

I do! I stream to Twitch, YouTube, and Mixer simultaneously. The stream you see on the page is one of those three, by default YouTube. You can switch with the buttons below the stream window. The reason for the page is to fix the problem of each streaming service having its own, incompatible chat that I have very little control over.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Finally finished the stippling on this fucker (it's A3 - lots of stipples):

Going to scan it, then add some colour.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

lofi posted:

That is really sweet!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Thanks, I'm really happy with it.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

His name is Hieronymus

edit: What I hate about finishing a piece is that I have a ton of problems with what to draw next. All internet prompt generators are stupid too.

Keetron fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 27, 2019

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

lofi posted:

this is gorgeous

im working on a big giant canvas thats taking a long time rn, heres a slice of it that i havent even finished

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Final art stream of the week: https://stream.shinmera.com

I hope to finish what I started yesterday, which is to say colour in the first calendar page. If I have time leftover I might do some sketches as well. As always, I'd love to see some of you in chat again, it's been a lot of fun every time so far!

Chatting does not require you to register an account either, just pick a name and hit connect.

Results:

Shinmera fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Apr 27, 2019

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Many birds make for a large number of birds.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

1969 Corvette

Squidtamer DA
Jun 3, 2007
Squirts ink when provoked
Did a goofy drawing of some friend's characters duking it out. I'm pretty happy with how it came out. The pants say "butt" on it.

Also I've been into digitally redoing some old drawings lately.
Before:

After:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Squidtamer DA posted:

Also I've been into digitally redoing some old drawings lately.
Before:

After:

Digitally remastering! Did you have the pic of the old one on an underlayer while you were doing the new drawing?

Quick and dirty Beauregard from chickam!