Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

WELP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Hader bad?

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Big fans of Hader, Allen, and Ottavino today.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

not as bad as andrew miller

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Have you seen his Twitter?

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
In retrospect Dellin Betances was the best setup man to draft because he can't get shelled on the IL.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

fawning deference posted:

Anywho, what's Jose Alvarado's deal? Is he the closer? He has 4 saves but he's been getting holds lately. He's pretty nasty and I'm close to getting him in a trade for Tyler Glasnow (it's a league where starters have way less value than relievers, the only starter exclusive category is QS and the scoring is heavy on rate stats). I figure even if he gets holds (holds is a category) instead of saves he should have a dominant year.

I figure the Rays will probably swap him and Castillo in the 9th. If you count SV and H, he should be a great pickup since he'll rack up Ks along with the other ones.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Teemu Pokemon posted:

not as bad as andrew miller

Anyone who drafted Miller deserves what they got.

I drafted him in at least one league

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

it's bad op, I'm a hair away from just dropping him outright

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

IcePhoenix posted:

Anyone who drafted Miller deserves what they got.

I drafted him in at least one league

I bought into the whole 'he was just injured and is fine now, he's a steal at his draft rank!' bullshit.

Also see: Darvish, Yu.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I think I should only do fire and forget leagues.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
On the other side Holland has been a pleasant surprise. For now anyway

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Yeah talk about Greene giving me 10 saves after going undrafted in my league where people were snapping up closers in the 4th round.

Also side note it feels like there's a bunch of hitters out there sapping the powers of legitimate, consistent hitters. Too many random people hitting above .350 and too many hitting below .200.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Is Thor broken? Someone wants to trade him to me for Yates. I always suspect foul play

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
His peripherals are fine. Batted ball data and all the statcast poo poo is good, FIP is good. His LOB% is like 50% so he’s pretty much getting garbage sequencing luck and should right the ship soon

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
Should I try to buy low on Sale? I kind of want to since his velocity has been up, but I have no idea what would be good value for him right now. I have Foltynewicz coming off the IL that I could offer, would that be enough? Should I offer more? Or should I stay away from Sale?

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

What is the consensus on Correa? Aside from injury risks? Seems to me like he is quietly putting up an OPS around .850 and hitting more line drives and less grounders. Still K's a ton but I feel like he is a good buy-low.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

What is the consensus on Correa? Aside from injury risks? Seems to me like he is quietly putting up an OPS around .850 and hitting more line drives and less grounders. Still K's a ton but I feel like he is a good buy-low.

He's coming off a down year, but he's doing better this year. I am just not sure if 2017 is a blip, or if he can get back to that level.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Who wins in a H2H?

Aaron Judge, Eugenio Suarez, and Dylan Bundy for Carlos Carrasco, Jesus Aguilar, David Dahl, and Jose Leclerc?

I'd be giving up a big haul for the two hitters, dropping Bundy for two roster spots. Roster spots seem to be gold in this league because people keep dropping good players. I keep resetting my waiver position, so I hope no one really good gets dropped

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Simpsons Reference posted:

Who wins in a H2H?

Aaron Judge, Eugenio Suarez, and Dylan Bundy for Carlos Carrasco, Jesus Aguilar, David Dahl, and Jose Leclerc?

I'd be giving up a big haul for the two hitters, dropping Bundy for two roster spots. Roster spots seem to be gold in this league because people keep dropping good players. I keep resetting my waiver position, so I hope no one really good gets dropped

I want to say the Judge side, but I'm also pessimistic about his injury (it's hard not to be given the rest of my baseball boys getting hurt.)

Aguilar and Leclerc aren't guys I would lose sleep over trading right now (unless you're really desperate for saves), so I guess it's a matter of if you think Carrasco and Dahl are worth Judge and Suarez.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
It is Week 4 and ESPNs alerts are still completely non-functional. No alerts about benched players, injuries, rainouts.... Nothing at all.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Stupid sexy ESPN

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Would you do this trade? This is the ROTO league in which I am changing my strategy and punting starting pitchers.

AVG, OBP, SLG, H, R, HR, RBI, SB
IP, QS, SV, HLD, ERA, WHIP, K/BB, K/9

I would give:
Clayton Kershaw
Tyler Glasnow

I would get:
Jose Alvarado
Daniel Murphy

I would still have Price and Flaherty to trade. Here is my roster if I made this trade:

C: Astudillo
1B: Voit
2B: JRamirez
3B: Suarez
SS: Mondesi
CI: Bruce
MI: Murphy
OF: Trout
OF: Markakis
OF: Soto
Util: FReyes
Util: E Escobar
DL: Meadows (would replace Escobar or Bruce upon return)
BN: Smith Jr (will drop)

SP: Price
SP: Flaherty
SP: Guerra
SP: CFerguson
RP: Leclerc
RP: Alvarado
P: Barnes
P: Burdi
P: Neris
P: HRondon
BN: Urias
BN: Matz (gonna drop soon)
DL: Betances

This would give me an elite bullpen I think - I would probably try to deal Flaherty and Price for an even better hitting upgrade.

Am I not asking enough back?

Basically, my only hitch is that Murphy is coming back from a broken finger and that might affect his hitting. But he always hits for average and he's playing in Coors. And despite some control issues, Alvarado is awesome.

fawning deference fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 23, 2019

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

I really hope this Christian Walker dude is for real.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's about time the Diamondbacks had a 1B who can hit

DGladding
Apr 2, 2019

I have high apple pie in the sky hopes.

Would you do this trade? This is the ROTO league in which I am changing my strategy and punting starting pitchers.

AVG, OBP, SLG, H, R, HR, RBI, SB
IP, QS, SV, HLD, ERA, WHIP, K/BB, K/9

I would give:
Clayton Kershaw
Tyler Glasnow

I would get:
Jose Alvarado
Daniel Murphy

I would still have Price and Flaherty to trade. Here is my roster if I made this trade:

C: Astudillo
1B: Voit
2B: JRamirez
3B: Suarez
SS: Mondesi
CI: Bruce
MI: Murphy
OF: Trout
OF: Markakis
OF: Soto
Util: FReyes
Util: E Escobar
DL: Meadows (would replace Escobar or Bruce upon return)
BN: Smith Jr (will drop)

SP: Price
SP: Flaherty
SP: Guerra
SP: CFerguson
RP: Leclerc
RP: Alvarado
P: Barnes
P: Burdi
P: Neris
P: HRondon
BN: Urias
BN: Matz (gonna drop soon)
DL: Betances

This would give me an elite bullpen I think - I would probably try to deal Flaherty and Price for an even better hitting upgrade.

Am I not asking enough back?

Basically, my only hitch is that Murphy is coming back from a broken finger and that might affect his hitting. But he always hits for average and he's playing in Coors. And despite some control issues, Alvarado is awesome.

JMO, but I think that trade has the potential to hurt you real bad.

I have Alvarado and I like him. You're right, he's got great stuff. But to me Murphy's about as exciting as watching paint dry. Yay, great on base skills, but there's almost 0 chance you get 20 homers or double digit steals.

Meanwhile, this might be the worst time to try and sell Clayton Kershaw in his career. I remember when Verlander was running on fumes with the Tigers and everyone said he was done and you could get him for a song and a Sam Fuld. To me Kershaw is in potentially a similar spot. He was once known as the greatest starting pitcher on the planet and although his career is at a crossroads because of the injuries, he's still only 31.

Not only that, but you're also throwing in a younger starter who has been hotter than anyone. I'd be more inclined to deal Glasnow than Kershaw at this moment personally, but I do think you could do much better.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I think I'll sit Chris Sale bc my pitching has been rear end this year, so I eagerly anticipate him throwing 7 shutout innings with 13 k's.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

DGladding posted:

JMO, but I think that trade has the potential to hurt you real bad.

I have Alvarado and I like him. You're right, he's got great stuff. But to me Murphy's about as exciting as watching paint dry. Yay, great on base skills, but there's almost 0 chance you get 20 homers or double digit steals.

Meanwhile, this might be the worst time to try and sell Clayton Kershaw in his career. I remember when Verlander was running on fumes with the Tigers and everyone said he was done and you could get him for a song and a Sam Fuld. To me Kershaw is in potentially a similar spot. He was once known as the greatest starting pitcher on the planet and although his career is at a crossroads because of the injuries, he's still only 31.

Not only that, but you're also throwing in a younger starter who has been hotter than anyone. I'd be more inclined to deal Glasnow than Kershaw at this moment personally, but I do think you could do much better.

It's tough - this league values starters less than anyone and the other teams know it, so it's very hard to deal even Kershaw or Glasnow for a B+ hitter.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc
Detroit is not the offense to sit Chris Sale against imo

DGladding
Apr 2, 2019

It's tough - this league values starters less than anyone and the other teams know it, so it's very hard to deal even Kershaw or Glasnow for a B+ hitter.

Yeah, I don't really get that.

I've never played IP before, is that a negative stat? It seems to me like with QS you'd want some horses. Good starters have much more of a positive impact on your team ERA and WHIP than relievers due to volume.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

DGladding posted:

Yeah, I don't really get that.

I've never played IP before, is that a negative stat? It seems to me like with QS you'd want some horses. Good starters have much more of a positive impact on your team ERA and WHIP than relievers due to volume.

It's true that starters pitch more innings but a dominant reliever's rate stats are so much better than guys like Price and Glasnow and Flaherty will wind up with - the strategy I am going for is punting quality starts and trying to win saves, holds, and all the rate stat categories, while also being in the mix for IP if I have several relievers going for me every night. IP is just a counting stat, so even if I'm middle of the pack there and 2nd to last in QS (someone has already employed the relievers-only strategy and they're in first, leading in all the rate stats) and I think it's a good idea to follow suit rather than rely on starting pitching, which seems almost completely random so far. I'm last in ERA despite having four excellent pitchers, plus Matz, plus a good bullpen.

Pitchers are volatile as hell. Kershaw has injury risks associated with him. I'm dangling Kershaw and Glasnow and Price in trade talks and nobody wants starting pitchers if it means they have to give up an A- hitter or reliever because starters aren't as valuable.

I think Murphy will probably hit 20 homeruns in Coors and is a lock to hit .300 if he's healthy the rest of the year. I'll withhold accepting and keep trying to shop around but I think my options are grim.

The guy who offered me this deal wouldn't upgrade to Correa nor would he do Alvarado for either Kershaw or Glasnow 1-for-1.

fawning deference fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 23, 2019

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I think you should ask for more from Glasnow and Kershaw but the offer you have isn't necessarily bad, especially in a redraft.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Inspector_666 posted:

I think you should ask for more from Glasnow and Kershaw but the offer you have isn't necessarily bad, especially in a redraft.

Yeah, it's a keeper league with six keepers but I doubt I keep either of those two. Maybe I'm just getting too frustrated too early, but I've had several years in a row of not placing top 5 and I don't have time for this, haha! My hitters need to wake up and my pitching has been strangely awful because I've been "playing matchups" and it has backfired. Also, starters seldom even go 6 or 7 innings anymore, they're babied by managers and I've had instances this season where a pitcher who has been dominant for 5 innings gets two outs in the 6th and then allows a hit and a walk, is at 100 pitches, and gets yanked, so I don't get the QS.

I think dealing with starters is stress-inducing when it comes to managing fantasy baseball teams and I would rather just have an army of really good relievers and better hitting at this point.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

i was encouraged by sale's velo in his last start

gosh i hope he is back to normal now :pray:

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I think I'll sit Chris Sale bc my pitching has been rear end this year, so I eagerly anticipate him throwing 7 shutout innings with 13 k's.

Thank you for your sacrifice...I think.

DGladding
Apr 2, 2019

It's true that starters pitch more innings but a dominant reliever's rate stats are so much better than guys like Price and Glasnow and Flaherty will wind up with - the strategy I am going for is punting quality starts and trying to win saves, holds, and all the rate stat categories, while also being in the mix for IP if I have several relievers going for me every night. IP is just a counting stat, so even if I'm middle of the pack there and 2nd to last in QS (someone has already employed the relievers-only strategy and they're in first, leading in all the rate stats) and I think it's a good idea to follow suit rather than rely on starting pitching, which seems almost completely random so far. I'm last in ERA despite having four excellent pitchers, plus Matz, plus a good bullpen.

Pitchers are volatile as hell. Kershaw has injury risks associated with him. I'm dangling Kershaw and Glasnow and Price in trade talks and nobody wants starting pitchers if it means they have to give up an A- hitter or reliever because starters aren't as valuable.

I think Murphy will probably hit 20 homeruns in Coors and is a lock to hit .300 if he's healthy the rest of the year. I'll withhold accepting and keep trying to shop around but I think my options are grim.

The guy who offered me this deal wouldn't upgrade to Correa nor would he do Alvarado for either Kershaw or Glasnow 1-for-1.

My take would be a little different.

Since the rest of the league is putting a tremendous value on RP because they want those K rates and SV+HLD, I would try and win the other categories. They're just as valuable, but because starters have been getting hammered in the early going (not just starters BTW, of which you're fully aware as a LeClerc owner) their perceived value is lower in your format.

I would try and get as many high k innings eaters as I could and then try and hit on 8th inning guys and punt saves if I had to. Seems like the better bet given your existing team, league's perceptions, etc. But do you man. Just my .02, I don't like that deal for you.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Ten strikeouts for Sale

...against a weak lineup, with wildly fluctuating fastball velocity, leaning heavily on the slider, and needed almost 100 pitches to get thru 5 innings, so he's not BACK just yet. But an encouraging start IMO.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

really glad he chose the week I'm facing him to remember how to pitch

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Who wins

Team A rec Rizzo, Schoop

Team B rec Hoskins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

I'd take Hoskins and the roster spot