Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
House of Thule is the last expansion I played on live and seeing as its coming up on phinny... How tough would it be to start a wizzie from scratch and get him caught up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Pretty easy till around 70 ish. At that point, your tank merc drops off and you’ll struggle due to lack of players to group with and you’re a caster.

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

Tai posted:

Pretty easy till around 70 ish. At that point, your tank merc drops off and you’ll struggle due to lack of players to group with and you’re a caster.

Would it be easier if I boxed a shaman also and used tank and healer mercs? I could 3 box if necessary but not sure I want to. What would be the ideal leveling trio (assuming wizzie is non changeable)?

Regarding auto grant. Is there any point to not turning it on so I can get certain aa with the bonus or should I activate it right away?

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Rallos posted:

Would it be easier if I boxed a shaman also and used tank and healer mercs? I could 3 box if necessary but not sure I want to. What would be the ideal leveling trio (assuming wizzie is non changeable)?

Regarding auto grant. Is there any point to not turning it on so I can get certain aa with the bonus or should I activate it right away?

Just turn it on, you get so many "required" AAs from it that trying to target specific ones using the decreasing xp bonus to get them is futile. As of UF, you get auto-granted up to DoDH / Level 70.

If you're going to build a caster group, I'd suggest Mage Wizard Druid or Mage Wizard Bard, depending on how much control you want over your healing. Druids get AAs and buffs that particularly benefit casters, while Shaman get stuff that benefit melee. Cleric is equally useful to both. Either way, add a mage. You can find EM (enhanced minion) items that will make the pet a lot stronger, and in many cases until UF, the pet can easily tank instead of having to use a merc to do so. Note that UF content hits too hard for either the pet OR a tank merc to really be effective. From what I recall, the damage output of NPCs stays the same in HoT but you gain 5 levels, new spells, and more mitigation/avoidance AAs so I'd imagine you could start merc/pet tanking that content again too.

If you're going to play on Phinigel, I suggest hooking up with a guild where you might get slightly more help once your tank merc stops being a young god. There's still 5-6 active at various levels of raiding, and several of them take non-raiders as well.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
50% bonus to XP, faction gain/loss, and rare spawn chance through Monday!

https://www.everquest.com/news/eq-eggcellent-bonus-weekend-april-2019

Time to power through 48-50 on my Necro this weekend! I joined a guild, we raided Plane of Sky last night for my first time in 13+ years, it was pretty fun!

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

I wish the exp on mangler was always as good as it is during bonus events. I got 38-40 in less than two hours on my bard just walking around killing kobolds in solb with my 50 monk. I can't wait until it's 46 and I can start looting crap in PoHate nobody wants.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Rallos posted:

At 70, go and massacre Paw with your merc before you do 71+ and your merc goes dumpster tier. Get every combat and QoL AA. You''ll thank me later.

ragnoxiii
Aug 24, 2006
The stacked bonus on Selo is crazy right now. Got like 50 AA’s in a few hours AEing in The Deep.

If anyone on Selo is looking for a raid guild to experience content with, check out <Altered Minds>. We aren’t racers, but we’re currently split farming VT/AHR and are willing to teach people the ropes if they are classes we need.

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Krazuel posted:

Basically nothing since we won the AHR race.
Was a like 3 races prior to that which Faceless actually won the dps races on, but yeah.
Yesterday there was a tiny race for North Blob but most of Faceless couldn't figure out how to get to it and gave up and left.

This iteration of Faceless is way different than say, Agnarr. Which I am enjoying. There are some batphones, but really splitting DZs and stuff leaves our nights packed. We have a lot of folks who just straight up don't know the VT skips. It's pretty cool/funny watching the learning curve.

There was a recent race for Cursed that we lost to Amtrak. I honestly have no idea what our dps was doing.

The stacked bonus is crazy, but if you are getting 50AAs in a few hours, please stick to like double charm pets in velks or something. This morning we did 180 AAs in 4 hours, Last night was 104ish and it was just me pulling.

ragnoxiii
Aug 24, 2006

FranktheBank posted:

The stacked bonus is crazy, but if you are getting 50AAs in a few hours, please stick to like double charm pets in velks or something. This morning we did 180 AAs in 4 hours, Last night was 104ish and it was just me pulling.

I dropped the leading 1, was getting about 9AA a pull,

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

ragnoxiii posted:

I dropped the leading 1, was getting about 9AA a pull,

much better. The entire west is worth 12 AAs atm with a potion, so stupid lol.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead

ragnoxiii posted:

The stacked bonus on Selo is crazy right now. Got like 50 AA’s in a few hours AEing in The Deep.

If anyone on Selo is looking for a raid guild to experience content with, check out <Altered Minds>. We aren’t racers, but we’re currently split farming VT/AHR and are willing to teach people the ropes if they are classes we need.

I joined, then had to go away from the game for the entire first two weeks because I was raising a small kitten during most of the hours I would've been playing, so I never got anywhere and got booted from the discord. RIP. I guess I'll go to Mangler.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Come to Mangler! One of us, one of us

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...
What's the goon presence on Mangler like? I was never huge into EQ but played it when I was a kid and got the nostalgia bug. Mangler era was about when I played so I'm ready to give it a shot!

*reads the last couple posts*

Welp. Is there a guild or anything running yet?

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!
Theres a goon guild I think still going but it's not raiding or anything. Most of us left it and sort of spread around.

Theres at least one or two in magic and melee one of the two biggest raid guilds.

Theres a few in midnight rations which is west coast raiding times.

I am in kursed which is east coast raiding but had some people leave recently and is kind of in flux.

Theres a discord channel you can join for mangler. Lot of casual guilds available also.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

Doctor Party posted:

Theres a goon guild I think still going but it's not raiding or anything. Most of us left it and sort of spread around.

Theres at least one or two in magic and melee one of the two biggest raid guilds.

Theres a few in midnight rations which is west coast raiding times.

I am in kursed which is east coast raiding but had some people leave recently and is kind of in flux.

Theres a discord channel you can join for mangler. Lot of casual guilds available also.

Mind linking the discord? The invite I found in the thread is dead.

also if I want to dual box on mangler since its a TLP do I need to have two separate accounts with paid memberships?

Koala Cola fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 23, 2019

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
You need 2 accounts, 2 paid all-access and 2 computers (unless you do some vm fuckery).

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

FranktheBank posted:

You need 2 accounts, 2 paid all-access and 2 computers (unless you do some vm fuckery).

Ew. Thanks.

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!
https://discord.gg/3wKm3w

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music
I’m an officer in Magic and Melee. We are the biggest raid guild on the server by a good margin. Raiding with 3 full 72 man raids. Our raid times are Monday Tuesday Thursday 8pm to Midnight EST. We aren’t a bat phone guild, only 30% RA is required to maintain raider status though most people are much closer to 100%. We do have fear and sky pick up raids in the guild on weekends and during the day sometimes if that’s your thing. No DKP on those raids and everyone rolls for gear even non raiders are welcome. We do require you to be level 50 to apply for a raid slot and most classes are closed right now. (Off the top of my head we need clerics, Druid, wizard, enchanter). If you’re still leveling and want a large group of folks to play with I’d be happy to invite you as a Family and Friends member just based on your goon status. If you want to raid you can apply for raid status once you hit level 50.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

Rallos posted:

I’m an officer in Magic and Melee. We are the biggest raid guild on the server by a good margin. Raiding with 3 full 72 man raids. Our raid times are Monday Tuesday Thursday 8pm to Midnight EST. We aren’t a bat phone guild, only 30% RA is required to maintain raider status though most people are much closer to 100%. We do have fear and sky pick up raids in the guild on weekends and during the day sometimes if that’s your thing. No DKP on those raids and everyone rolls for gear even non raiders are welcome. We do require you to be level 50 to apply for a raid slot and most classes are closed right now. (Off the top of my head we need clerics, Druid, wizard, enchanter). If you’re still leveling and want a large group of folks to play with I’d be happy to invite you as a Family and Friends member just based on your goon status. If you want to raid you can apply for raid status once you hit level 50.

Definitely going to be hardcore casual, doubt I'll be into raiding because you have to play for 4+ hour chunks right? I basically just mildly twinked myself out and started a new shaman, hopefully can get a guild to chat and occasionally party with. Would your guild be good? I've actually heard people bitching about you guys on one of my discords so the idea of joining is appealing to me lol.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I'm in Magic and Melee and everyone I've dealt with is very friendly and chill

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Rallos posted:

I’m an officer in Magic and Melee. We are the biggest raid guild on the server by a good margin. Raiding with 3 full 72 man raids.

Wow! I say that as a former player from 2000-2004 who lurks for nostalgia purposes. I don't remember any guild on our server was ever even remotely close to rolling that deep, and probably not even half of that kind of manpower.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

RCarr posted:

I'm in Magic and Melee and everyone I've dealt with is very friendly and chill

Oh it was linked from my discord. This is what I saw: https://www.reddit.com/r/mangler/comments/bcd9i9/fuck_magic_and_melee_it_took_less_than_a_week_to/

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Sand Monster posted:

Wow! I say that as a former player from 2000-2004 who lurks for nostalgia purposes. I don't remember any guild on our server was ever even remotely close to rolling that deep, and probably not even half of that kind of manpower.

It's honestly the best way to recruit for new guilds on TLP's. Player retention isn't super high. Not just in terms of people quitting but also people who just want to raid for a bit and go in active. During open world classic, we had 100-120 odd people on raids in AoS/WT.

Tai fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 23, 2019

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
nm

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

Honestly I’ve spoken to the parties involved here. The guy was in the wrong. Fable had been working the cycle to make this guy spawn for hours so he wasn’t “stealing” anything. We have kicked out a few people for being toxic shitheels and will continue to do so but to be fair any guild with hundreds of members is gonna have a few bad apples. Reddit aside I’ve experienced nothing but good things from our members. I don’t just say this because I’m an officer. I was invited to become one recently I applied and joined normally like everyone else. If you want to try it out feel free to send me a DM on the goon tlp or SA discord. My tag is Rallos#0001.

Rallos fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 23, 2019

Rallos
Aug 1, 2004
Live The Music

Sand Monster posted:

Yeah it’s pretty insane doing open world CT and innorouk with almost 200 people.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
I'm in From the Beginning, randomly got invited when I was leveling up in Unrest. They're actually a bunch of decent folks with the core officers coming over from Agnarr & Corinav. We've been raiding for the last couple of weeks, I hit 50 on my necro and promptly won an Encyclopedia Necrotheurgia on my second raid so I'm basically set for pet focus for a very long time. They are actively recruiting, we downed everything in Fear last night with the exception of Draco and CT and we took down Inny down over the weekend. Vox/Yael/Phinny tomorrow night, PoS this Saturday where we hope to down the spiroc lord (got him down to 20% last time) for farming. Anyway I enjoy this guild and we are openly recruiting.

I started up a 3-box crew of Monk/Shaman/Bard and twinked the poo poo out of all 3, up to level 16 now and I am focusing on leveling these guys when I'm not raiding. Getting ready for Kunark!

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!
Yeah to rallos point. I agree every magic and melee person I've dealt with has been really solid from a character stand point.

One example I was in guk and a tool from frenzy charmed the reanimated hand and brought to their camp. I was in hamlord. I followed him back and was like wtf.

I immediately got a tell from the m and m guy in that pug group saying that was bs. They're gonna basically kick the dude from the group. Apologize profusely. Usually when stuff like that happens you get a "well if you can't kill it fast enough we'll do it for you " kind of response. It was just sort of a refreshing resolution to what could have been an escalating charm each other's named standoff.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
The only consistently dickish guild I've encountered is MESS

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
Let me introduce you to Mabbu and Relentless Incompetence.

They actively aim to be the biggest dicks on the server.

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Goast posted:

The only consistently dickish guild I've encountered is MESS

How so?

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Mostly just fighting over camps with trains and poo poo. I dunno if it's just a few asshats but most of the hostile trains I've had have been from someone with that tag.

Tehran 1979
Jan 28, 2019

by Lowtax
Do any of you druid mains remember what era you could make Tunarean Soldier armor in? EQItems is telling me Kunark but that poo poo would be absurdly OP in Kunark and I can't remember any Kunark items having level recommended tags on it. Required yeah, but not recommended. I don't remember rec existing until... Luclin?

Tehran 1979 fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 29, 2019

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I'm going to say Planes of Power, but maybe added in LoY or LDoN.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Tehran 1979 posted:

Do any of you druid mains remember what era you could make Tunarean Soldier armor in? EQItems is telling me Kunark but that poo poo would be absurdly OP in Kunark and I can't remember any Kunark items having level recommended tags on it. Required yeah, but not recommended. I don't remember rec existing until... Luclin?

Pretty sure it's Luclin era, at least that's when it's available on TLPs.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Republicans posted:

Pretty sure it's Luclin era, at least that's when it's available on TLPs.

The earliest comments on that item on Allakhazam are from July 2002, which is 6 months after Luclin released, and 2 months before PoP. Did items typically get parsed from beta databases? Or was it a tradeskill recipe that got added in after Luclin had been out a while?

(editor's note - jesus christ that was a fast release schedule with a ton of content, looking back at it)

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!
Hey guys if anyone is in need of a guild let me know. I am a member of kursed. We have a pretty solid group of about thirty to forty people doing hate, fear and sky on mangler. We definitely need more people though. Especially clerics.

We raid Monday, Tuesday, Thursday 8:30 est.

https://kursed.enjin.com/

My in game name is kygo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Devor posted:

The earliest comments on that item on Allakhazam are from July 2002, which is 6 months after Luclin released, and 2 months before PoP. Did items typically get parsed from beta databases? Or was it a tradeskill recipe that got added in after Luclin had been out a while?

(editor's note - jesus christ that was a fast release schedule with a ton of content, looking back at it)

I think I remember the cultural crafting revamp happening during luclin back in the day.