Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Going to make for a really somber Planes of Fame air show on the 4th/5th of May - the N9M was scheduled to be displayed and fly at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Flying wings were impossible to fly before flybywire, but im assuming the flight envelope even with computer controls is really bad.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Posted these in the milhist thread, might as well copy/paste them here:

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Nebakenezzer posted:

Posted these in the milhist thread, might as well copy/paste them here:

HE-113s? First time I've seen an actual report of those. I've seen the propaganda shots.

I wonder what he actually saw?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

PhotoKirk posted:

HE-113s? First time I've seen an actual report of those. I've seen the propaganda shots.

I wonder what he actually saw?

Good question; it was the RAF in 1941 so...Fw 190?

(Just FYI for those who don't know, the He 113 is a plane that never existed, but was believed to exist as part of a successful propaganda ploy by the Nazis.)

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Suggest this to the warbird crowd and they get extremely uptight about it. I've seen guys suggest the NMUSAF should sell the Memphis Belle to someone who'd fly her, and refer to the Udvar-Hazy center as a "tomb."

I was just at a presentation by the curator of the NMUSAF about the Belle. He explicitly said that after its restoration, it is not airworthy nor will it ever be.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Tetraptous posted:

I had no idea that was flying around. Seems a little crazy to be regularly flying a restored 75-year-old prototype of a plane canceled for notorious unreliability and peculiar handling qualities.

Beautiful and historic plane, though. What a shame.

Yeah, I didn't know it was flying; I would have made a bit of an effort to come over to see it.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Maybe put the one-of-a-kind experimental aircraft in a museum instead of flying it around all the drat time and this won't happen. Yikes.

Nah. Air museums are dusty zoos. They make me feel kinda sad.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

One of a kind historical planes shouldn't fly. One of a kind historical planes that remained one of a kind because they were so dangerous to fly, definitely shouldn't fly.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
If I could magically restore any aircraft to flyable status it would probably be a B-36.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Godholio posted:

If I could magically restore any aircraft to flyable status it would probably be a B-36.

:hmmyes:

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Ola posted:

One of a kind historical planes that remained one of a kind because they were so dangerous to fly, definitely shouldn't fly.

Yeah, i'd agree with you there.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Godholio posted:

For reasons I really wish there was a restored Ju 290 or He 177 in the world but as for "I wanna see that poo poo flying" B-36 is up there

Doesn't help that a SR-71 Going Mach 3.4 would be doin' it at an altitude invisible from the ground

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Nebakenezzer posted:

For reasons I really wish there was a restored Ju 290 or He 177 in the world but as for "I wanna see that poo poo flying" B-36 is up there

Doesn't help that a SR-71 Going Mach 3.4 would be doin' it at an altitude invisible from the ground

*insert “what’s the slowest you ever flew the SR-71” story here*

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Nebakenezzer posted:

Ditto Valkyrie

Though I suppose I'd rather have the Canadian enormous white supersonic delta-winged airplane. Wonder what happened to that half-scale replica project?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I’d pick whatever nutty Blohm and Voss contraption I was thinking about that day

Maybe that Ho229, but not sure that’s out there enough.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 23, 2019

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
There’s some pretty wild stuff if you’re using magic wishes. Sea Dart, Delta Dart, Hustler.... seeing a pattern here.

A J7W would be a rad warbird to see flying. :japan:

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here
P6M and/or XB-51.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

gently caress yes.

Why are all the people I relate with on the internet?

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

https://www.npr.org/2019/04/23/7163...ontent=20190423

I wonder who they totally didn't bribe.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I was gonna say it's the loving Highwind from FF7 but it turns out that only had two vertical props

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I'd love to see something like this IRL

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Godholio posted:

That would take a particularly considerable amount of magic.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Make ekranoplan great again

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Ola posted:

One of a kind historical planes shouldn't fly....

Agreed. It's easy to say "planes were meant to fly" when you're not the generation denied the chance to even see one on the ground because your forebearers crashed the last survivor into a barn out of pure sentimentality.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

shame on an IGA posted:

Make ekranoplan great again

I've been saying for years that someone should run an ekranoplan ferry service between Detroit (well, the Monroe area, really) and Buffalo, NY. Zoom the length of Lake Erie in an hour. Never set foot in Ohio. It would be brilliant.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Agreed. It's easy to say "planes were meant to fly" when you're not the generation denied the chance to even see one on the ground because your forebearers crashed the last survivor into a barn out of pure sentimentality.

I think in addition to sentimentality there is, as mentioned above, a large rich guy look-at-me factor in play.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I've been saying for years that someone should run an ekranoplan ferry service between Detroit (well, the Monroe area, really) and Buffalo, NY. Zoom the length of Lake Erie in an hour. Never set foot in Ohio. It would be brilliant.

which is worse: starting in buffalo and ending up in monroe, or the other way round

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Ola posted:

I think in addition to sentimentality there is, as mentioned above, a large rich guy look-at-me factor in play.

This. Who knows which classics will be left after rich 65 year old boomers auger them all into the dirt.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Maybe in 1968. But today? Who would want to start in Detroit and end in Buffalo. It would be the “rust belt rendezvous!”

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Mortabis posted:

That would take a particularly considerable amount of magic.

Actually, that sparks a question in me: given magic to give a viable starting point, what airplane would be hardest/most expensive to keep in flying condition?

I don't think the B-36 would be the worst; while its technology is 1940s spaceship, at least the engines are a common type. Me, I would not mind resto-modding all those crazy clockwork subsystems into simple modern devices.

It occurs to me that some sort of super-rich vintage rigid airship fancier would be spending cash on a gigantic hanger, docking mast, and possibly automation to replace several hundred stout me to haul it down. So maybe a physical plant - and if they wanted to be insane, hydrogen manufacturing facilities and owning their own small factory to make canvas-and-cow-intestine lifting cells.

If they wanted to go the restoro-mod, on the other hand, synthetic materials would not only save mad money, but also work a hell of a lot better

e:

Phy posted:

Ditto Valkyrie

Though I suppose I'd rather have the Canadian enormous white supersonic delta-winged airplane. Wonder what happened to that half-scale replica project?

Good idea, I think it'd cure Canada's weird hangup about it, anyway

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 24, 2019

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

beep-beep car is go posted:

Maybe in 1968. But today? Who would want to start in Detroit and end in Buffalo. It would be the “rust belt rendezvous!”

Those endpoints are incidental. Think of it as a way to make Chicago to Toronto a six hour drive.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Nebakenezzer posted:

Actually, that sparks a question in me: given magic to give a viable starting point, what airplane would be hardest/most expensive to keep in flying condition?

I don't think the B-36 would be the worst; while its technology is 1940s spaceship, at least the engines are a common type. Me, I would not mind resto-modding all those crazy clockwork subsystems into simple modern devices.

R-4360s are a “common type” in the same way Ferrari 250/275s are “common types.”

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

MrYenko posted:

R-4360s are a “common type” in the same way Ferrari 250/275s are “common types.”

B-b-but airliners in the '50 used them

don't tell me even common 80 year old engines are now difficult to service

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

B-b-but airliners in the '50 used them

don't tell me even common 80 year old engines are now difficult to service

Ah, but imagine an uncommon 80 year old engine!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Nebakenezzer posted:

I’m not so sure that the answer isn’t a B-36, but based on what little I know:
* Jets cost a lot more than ICE to keep flying
* Bigger = more money
* I’m picking something Soviet. Let’s say the “magic” is that some rich tech dude somehow bought a plane from over there. Now you have extra language overhead in finding any useful info about the plane, not to mention the Russian government probably won’t be terribly helpful (if for nothing else than national pride reasons).
* From what I’ve read of existing restoration efforts it probably has to be military, since those planes were never designed to operate outside of a military supply chain. The Tu-144 would possibly have been a candidate, but NASA managed to fly one of those around for a while.

So... my pick is the Sukhoi T-4.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Nebakenezzer posted:

My uneducated ten-seconds-of-thought vote goes to the X-15, because "flying condition" includes, among other things, a B-52 :v:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

FBS posted:

My uneducated ten-seconds-of-thought vote goes to the X-15, because "flying condition" includes, among other things, a B-52 :v:

That's a good one. Along those lines, I was wondering if something like the SR-71 would include the fleet of specialized tankers required to actually conduct its missions, or if we're just talking "flyable" in the sense of being able to take off and do a few laps in the pattern.

e: now I'm also trying to think if any interplanetary probes have included any rovers that could be considered "airplanes". I think there are plans for a Mars helicopter but that hasn't actually been there yet. Servicing the aircraft might not be the most expensive, but the travel costs to get your mechanics out on site would be stupendous.

Wingnut Ninja fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 24, 2019

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Nebakenezzer posted:

F-35 :haw:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

FBS posted:

In that case the McDonnell XF-85 Goblin would be another strong contender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Convair XFY "pogo"

I was going to suggest a heinkel lerche, but they never actually built one. Unfortunately.

Edit: although supposedly heinkel did build the similar "wespe" but I can't find a picture of it.

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 24, 2019