Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Today's update is a very long one, so...

Click on the pretty picture to read the update!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Legendary catch rates are such a pain in the rear end.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Screw legendary Pokemon.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

That enormous trade sequence, spread out over the whole game, and what does Genesect do?

Honestly I'm not even mad, it feels appropriate somehow. Yeah screw you too Genesect.

bottom.
I laughed way too loving hard at this one. This is malicious compliance to the highest degree.

Damanation
Apr 16, 2018

Congratulations!

Kinda disappointing to see the design start to fall apart this late in the post game. Their puzzle design seems not so great, especially considering how limited your view is.

Alloran
Dec 30, 2014

I think this line is mostly filler.
The moral lesson of the director. :allears: What a world.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
So, what it seems to be saying is that Delta Larvesta is an SCP, and Reukra is the leader of the O5 council. (It refers to him as O5-1)

Montegoraon fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 23, 2019

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Montegoraon posted:

So, what it seems to be saying is that Delta Larvesta is an SCP, and Reukra is the leader of the O5 council.

:crossarms:

Leonyth
Mar 17, 2009
I should have had this done ages ago. But I got distracted, and then just forgot. Until I didn't.

Traditonal Update 5 I think maybe the most changed? Just because it has the most talking going on.

I think there's only one more noticeable divergence from here, and if that's it I'll probably just show that and end my part.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I honestly enjoyed the lore dump. Shed some light on how absolutely loving evil the perfection cult really was. Also, Pokemon is honestly at the top of my list of “game series Gamesharks were loving made in mind for” specially in regards to finishing the pokedex 100%.

Though If you intend to do PvP, you’re gonna make 100+ eggs in the slim hopes of getting one with perfect IVs, natures and moves; by loving god, you’ll do it without cheating. Sorry, it’s one thing to cheat single player; but I’m gonna judge you HARD if you cheat a multiplayer component. Enough of that in online games as is.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

I think Hyperspace Hole usually fails if something that isn't Hoopa tries to use it, but they did say that delta volcarona is extremely powerful and dangerous.

...Too bad about all those legendaries. More master balls would be nice. I assume you couldn't get any more of/enough of those balls that IIRC are good for catching legendaries... then again, even at a high modifier, a base catch rate 3 mon is going to be a pain.

In some games you can see where the wandering legendaries are by looking at their pokedex "location" entries but I dunno if that's programmed in here or if essentials even supports it.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Maybe I'm talking out of my rear end, but weren't Heavy Balls better than anything for legendary pokemon simply because their bonus was additive instead of multiplicative which worked out better for low catch rate pokemon (and subsequently, most legendary pokemon were rather large)?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
That random "pn" from one of the TV crew was a typo in the dialogue. "\PN" is the command to display the player's name, so they just missed a backslash.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Montegoraon posted:

So, what it seems to be saying is that Delta Larvesta is an SCP, and Reukra is the leader of the O5 council. (It refers to him as O5-1)

Yeah, SCP bullshit definitely floated into my head too when that came up. :v:

gently caress legendary catch rates, masterballs 4 life. :pcgaming:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

MR. J posted:

Maybe I'm talking out of my rear end, but weren't Heavy Balls better than anything for legendary pokemon simply because their bonus was additive instead of multiplicative which worked out better for low catch rate pokemon (and subsequently, most legendary pokemon were rather large)?

Yeah, if they're fat enough. Heavy Balls can be up to a raw additive +30 to catch rate, which takes a hypothetical "is asleep at 1 HP" 3 catch rate mon from 23% with a 5x rate ball (a la Ancient Ball) to 42%. The problem is that not many of the legendaries that DN was complaining about are fat enough for it to matter. For example, Suicune is only 410 pounds, which is a zero modifier for the Heavy Ball. Without that modifier you're looking at the same rate as a pokeball, or ~7%.

Edit: DN, you are using a False Swipe user when hunting legendaries, right? Obviously this doesn't help with ghosts or the ones that try to suicide themselves on you, but...

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Apr 23, 2019

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, if they're fat enough. Heavy Balls can be up to a raw additive +30 to catch rate, which takes a hypothetical "is asleep at 1 HP" 3 catch rate mon from 23% with a 5x rate ball (a la Ancient Ball) to 42%. The problem is that not many of the legendaries that DN was complaining about are fat enough for it to matter. For example, Suicune is only 410 pounds, which is a zero modifier for the Heavy Ball. Without that modifier you're looking at the same rate as a pokeball, or ~7%.

Edit: DN, you are using a False Swipe user when hunting legendaries, right? Obviously this doesn't help with ghosts or the ones that try to suicide themselves on you, but...

It helps against ghosts when you have scrappy :colbert:

Or Irrelephant. Can Bestest Friend Fancy learn False Swipe?

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Supremezero posted:

It helps against ghosts when you have scrappy :colbert:

Or Irrelephant. Can Bestest Friend Fancy learn False Swipe?

It can't. Really, not all that many pokemon can, though gen 7 added a good chunk. But as far as I know, the only Scrappy pokemon that can learn it is Pangoro.

GregorCanteberry
Feb 12, 2014
I considered doing it when I want to play Insurgence, but then I saw something very annoying.

You can't catch Chikorita.
You have to catch a Bayleef and breed it.
Same problem with Machop, Vulpix, Bellsprout, Swinub, Larivtar, etc. Master balls can't help with the tedium of breeding.

And i'm sure there's a hundred annoying ones to catch with a 1% appearance rate too.

GregorCanteberry fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 23, 2019

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

GregorCanteberry posted:

I considered doing it when I want to play Insurgence, but then I saw something very annoying.

You can't catch Chikorita.
You have to catch a Bayleef and breed it.
Same problem with Machop, Vulpix, Bellsprout, Swinub, Larivtar, etc. Master balls can't help with the tedium of breeding.

And i'm sure there's a hundred annoying ones to catch with a 1% appearance rate too.

That's sadly par for course for all Pokemon games. Hell, at one point before the bank opened up for Ultra Moon/Sun, you could get legendaries for Castforms. I spent like 10 hours once trying to find a Jangmo-o in Ultra Moon once.

I think it's telling that a lot of what Insurgence gets right is the feel of the games from a gameplay perspective in a lot of ways. The difficulty comes from existing mechanics from the series, not new ones out of whole cloth REBORN.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

It doesn't help. One attempt I didn't show had Mewtwo in critical HP, frozen solid for 4 straight turns, and it still instantly broke out of the balls. These were the expensive 5x on legendaries balls that Pine sells.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

DoubleNegative posted:

It doesn't help. One attempt I didn't show had Mewtwo in critical HP, frozen solid for 4 straight turns, and it still instantly broke out of the balls. These were the expensive 5x on legendaries balls that Pine sells.

Man, that's some awful luck. No idea what you're counting as 'critical' per se but a Frozen/Sleeping Mewtwo at 10% HP with a 5x catch rate ball is 22% odds, or 37% chance of no catch in four shots. :(

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Kyrosiris posted:

Man, that's some awful luck. No idea what you're counting as 'critical' per se but a Frozen/Sleeping Mewtwo at 10% HP with a 5x catch rate ball is 22% odds, or 37% chance of no catch in four shots. :(

In other words with all other things perfect he still had over 1/3 odds of walking away with nothing only to watch mewtwo recover and restart the process.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
These odds seem awfully high given I have rather vivid memories of any legendary pokemon that wasn't a 30 catch rate freebie taking dozens and dozens of balls. Are they the odds of a catch overall or the odds the ball won't break on that particular shake? I'm pretty sure I remember that the game rolls the dice for every shake of a pokeball.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

DoubleNegative posted:

Yep, this is the downside of cramming 6 Generations worth of Legendaries (mythicals included) into one game. A catch rate of 3 means that outside of a Master Ball or Heavy Balls for Pokemon like Groudon, you're stuck with a multiplier of 5 or less: Legendary Balls (x5), Dusk Balls (x3.5 at night), Timer Balls (x4 at max turns), or Net Balls (x3 on Water/Bug Pokemon).

I know one time I spent 70+ turns throwing Timer Balls at Articuno and it didn't work; I know this because Articuno in FireRed/LeafGreen has 70+ PP worth of moves, and it killed itself with Struggle before I could catch it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

There's no reason whatsoever for a fangame to keep the catch rates though, especially when Game Freak themselves are willing to change them now for special in-game stuff. The 3 catch rate is a hold-over from a worse time and any fan game maker should change that completely since it adds nothing but tedium and annoyance to the game.

Of course, Game Freak should also go all-in on that and put a lower limit on catch rate that's several times higher, but expecting them to actually fix something completely is...yeah...

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Perhaps it would be better to not change the catch rate, but the catch formula for legendary pokemon. Make it so that it ramps up rapidly when your catching conditions are very close to ideal.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The low catch rate is fine when:
1)it lacks regen
2)there are only 3-4 of them so having a proper "catching pokemon" bossfight doesn't way overstay its welcome into tedium and frustration.
3)they cant suicide on a whim. Jesus loving christ is that horrible on it's own, though.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

FoolyCharged posted:

The low catch rate is fine when:
1)it lacks regen
2)there are only 3-4 of them so having a proper "catching pokemon" bossfight doesn't way overstay its welcome into tedium and frustration.
3)they cant suicide on a whim. Jesus loving christ is that horrible on it's own, though.

Nah, it's bad even there. Even if the player does things absolutely perfectly, they're at the complete mercy of RNG. That's bad, because it doesn't add any sort of real difficulty, just tedium as you pray the game won't gently caress you over.

Insurgence makes it even worse, sure, but this is something that's bad in the main games as well.

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!
3 Catch Rate means catching a Pokemon will take anywhere between a few minutes to literal hours depending on RNG. I got more and more tired of it the more legendaries become available in a given game.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I just finished writing the last two updates, so I'm gonna post the Elite Four tomorrow, and then the end of the LP on Friday.

I don't think it will be a very popular way to end the LP

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
:ohdear:

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Legendary catching is just awful, just endless throwing against a stupid low health monster that bats at you ineffectually, definitely my least favourite part. Roaming legendaries are similarly awful, but it depends on the game. There's only two, Platinum and BW that I would consider not as bad, the rest is just tedium.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I do like the act of capturing all the legendary Pokemon but that's on my own time at my own pace and even then they can just really...really wear you down.
As much as I dislike a lot of things about Let's Go, they kind of had the right idea. You fight the legendary, KO it, then you throw balls at it. I think the rates are still low but I don't think I've seen people complain about them as much and you never have to worry about spending a billion turns because of how LG handles capturing through motion controls.

Granted that last part is probably why LG is set up like that at all, but it's a good idea they should follow through on since they want to make Legends be boss fights but 90% of the time it doesnt work unless you're necrozma's true form.
So like make every legend a Totem-esque boss fight with the goal of just winning, then you just get them with whatever ball you want. Legends still stand out, yo uget a little flavorful challenge out of it, but you're not tearing your hair out at spending 100 timer balls on something that doesn't stay put before it kills itself.

Also why on earth a fan game would put in roaming pokemon is beyond me. Even GameFreak realized that was stupid and it took them until Gen 7 to get rid of HMs entirely. BW1 only had one in each version and they only went on certai nroutes at certain times of days, BW2 didn't have them at all, XY had one based on your starter that you chased 10 times (bad) but then went to a stationary location to capture at your leisure (better?). ORAS made the roamer a gift and all the other legends just check criteria, SM & USUM didn't have them at all.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I'm not sure how exactly you'd do it, but they could do something with legendaries based around the story-idea that you're really impressing this godmonster and persuading it to join you rather than just beating it up the way everyone does with every pokemon. The games always say you get to catch it because you're special, so why not run with that? Have certain criteria you need to meet, I guess optional sidequests or choosing specific responses in various plot conversations or something, and each one you do right changes the legend's catch rate. So the base catch rate is the usual bullshit but if you impress it enough then it becomes really easy to get because now it actually wants to go with you.

Obviously this has the potential to turn into a nightmare slog, they'd need to be reasonable about it and only have a few relatively easy to find flags to trip rather than insist on you micromanaging everything for the whole game, but it could be interesting.

Could also go the other way depending on how the fight plays out, have the catch rate reverse if you do too much damage. Like sleep wouldn't affect it but nastier status effects would. And if you wimp out and use a master ball its stats are crippled because it doesn't like you and is actively trying not to win fights.

This would affect roamers too - if you've impressed it, it will come and find you. If you've made it think you're an idiot or a bad trainer, it'll actively run away from you until you do enough to persuade it otherwise. Maybe have a roaming encounter right at the start of the game, and then see it every so often as you progress and its behaviour changes every time depending on what you've been doing before it lets you catch it. Kind of the way they did it with Suicune in Gen 2 only with actual reasoning behind it instead of the usual 'you're special because ??? now beat it to a pulp'.

Black Robe fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Apr 24, 2019

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

DoubleNegative posted:

I don't think it will be a very popular way to end the LP

Mark it as a bonus update and archive browsers will be none the wiser. :v:

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Hello everyone and welcome back. Today we're going to tackle the Elite Four rematch in a single shot. But before we do, I want to show this off because it's kinda neat. If I may direct your attention to the bottom right corner of the screenshot, you might notice that we have RHYDON in the party.

We're going to pull a little magic trick.

By which I mean we're going to wonder trade our Mew.

Online features for this barely work. Wonder trade, I suspect, probably does. But there is a hardcoded exception for trying to wonder trade your Mew.

If you try to wonder trade your Mew, it becomes ~*~Space Mew~*~

It's just a cosmetic change, but it's also cute as hell.

EDIT: In honor of RHYDON becoming a space cadet, EclecticTastes has gifted the thread with a little song

EclecticTastes posted:

I have a little going-away gift for this very nice thread about a surprisingly charming little fangame. See, there's one person I'd never under any circumstance invoke for that other game. But I think Insurgence has earned it.

Wonder Trade to Major Mew
Be prepared to get sent to someone new

Contacting server, wait a few
Check connection and Arceus be with you

This is Wonder Trade to Major Mew
You've really made the grade
Though you never had a place in DN's team
Now it's time to send your data through a beam

"This is Major Mew to Wonder Trade
I'm exiting my ball
And I'm floating in a most peculiar way
Cyberspace looks very different today

For here
I am sat in a Poke Ball
Deep in a PC
I am just a Mew, and there's nothing I can do

Though I'm beamed halfway across the globe
I'm feeling very still
And I think this packet knows which way to go
Tell Amy I love her very much" She knows

The trade's timed out, there's something wrong
Can you hear me, Major Mew?
Can you "Here, I just found this real cool space suit
I'm back in the box
I am just a Mew, and there's nothing I can't do..."

Anyway, with that out of the way, today's update is just five quick boss fights.

Region!

92, going on 93 hours. 209 captured, 630 seen... I'm suddenly really glad I chose not to go for pokedex completion. :shepface:

The elite four rooms look much the same, so let's just skip forward to Kayla. We'll be doing the same order as last time. because that's the order they're listed on the wiki

'sup, nerd. Yeah, you. I remember you. It's me, Kayla. I specialize in hard work and harmony. Let's just get going. I'm sure you're as anxious for a rematch as I am!

The usual caveats about the Torren Elite Four apply. Namely that they scale to the highest level in your party. Kayla is still a Baton Pass team, except her AI has somehow gotten dumber in the intervening time since our last encounter.

This Smeargle has a focus sash, so we can't one hit KO it.

So many battles in this LP would have gone much differently if we'd had Ramses from the start. Priority STAB item-less acrobatics is such a beautiful thing.

Ramses is now asleep. So allow me to conclusively prove that the AI in this game reads your inputs. Observe!

I use a Full Restore to heal Ramses of his sleepiness.

The only way this could have happened is if the AI knew I had awakened Ramses. If Kayla had healed her Smeargle, as you might expect, Ramses would have one hit KOed it. If she had used Quiver Dance like she's supposed to, Ramses would have KOed it. So instead it cheated.

For

fifteen

straight

turns!

On the sixteenth turn, the Smeargle didn't even bother to act. Also all those stat gains were from Moody. If Kayla had just baton passed, we might have actually had a proper battle on our hands. Instead...

:cripes:

Now that the preamble is over, let's just put an end to this farce.

Ramses was bult to sweep teams, and sweep he shall!

I don't even need to show you all what move he used, because there's only one move he uses.

Ramses is ripping through Kayla's team with zero effort.

The coward espeon is up!

Surprisingly, Ramses didn't one hit KO it. He would have if I had bothered to buff his attack, but :shrug:

Kayla keeps trying to set up her baton pass gimmick. But there's a slight problem...

Her Mega comes out...

And surprisingly, it resists Ramses' attempt at knocking it out.

A second time...

Mega Slowbro burns Ramses with its scald.

Kayla finally brings down Ramses after he dealt that much damage to her team. Don't gently caress with Pharaoh Blaziken, y'all.

And just to rub salt in the wound, I sent out Kami to Judge Mega Slowbro.

Yeah, astounding...

With your level of talent, I'm sure you could take on the entire Elite Four, and maybe even the Champion!! Good luck!

Well, well, well! Now... what do we got here? Amy! It's good to see ya again. A challenger! We haven't had one of those in a while, no sir. Remember me? It's Eduard! Sand... It's coarse, and it gets everywhere, but I love it all the same. Let's get going. You're going to get shut down so hard you won't even know what hit you.

His team gets bonuses from being in a sandstorm. But I'm pretty sure it's the same team as last time, just with boosted levels.

Cirno starts things off with a pretty chunky hit.

Hippowdon retaliates.

Eduard decides on the second turn that he should save his sand setter for later and sends out...

Garchomp. Right into Cirno's waiting ice beam. Being part fairy and ice, she eats Garchomps for breakfast.

I'm sure if it had been allowed to move, it would have hurt.

Either Charsi or Aragog were great choices here.

Both combatants mega evolve...

Aragog shrugs off a seed bomb and then nukes the Mega Cacturne right in its 4x bug weakness.

It's kind of a no-win scenario with Aegislash when the AI reads your inputs. If you attack, then it'll use King's Shield to avoid all damage. If you buff up your attack, it'll attack instead.

As such. At least it wasn't a skill that made contact, letting Aragog avoid stat debuffs.

Hippowdon suddenly comes back out and...

Eats the earthquake intended for Aegislash.

And now it's going to King's Shield again, so this is a lost turn.

At the time I wasn't thinking about that and was playing on pure instinct.

The next turn, Aragog finally lands a hit on Aegislash.

I mentioned it way back, but in extremely high level play like this, it's a game of Alpha Strikes. It's part of the reason why I haven't wasted turns using stat boosts, because despite how easy I'm making these fights look, they will gently caress your poo poo up in short order if you let up off the pressure.

Aegislash finally goes down on the next turn.

May as well go out with a bang!

God I love this Demon Spider!

Hahaha. Excadrill didn't get its speed boost because of Aegislash's delaying tactics.

And that's all six!

Best of luck... you'll definitely need it.

Onto the second half of these jerks.

Yuki is up next!

You've returned. It's so very good to meet you once more. As you know, I am Yuki. I subsist on the beauty and grace of the silent snowfall. The slow snowfall gives a... tranquil feeling, does it not? I've been training for years with my pokemon. I'd wish you luck... but I don't want to waste my breath. It's snowing on Mt. Fuji.

:confused:

Yuki still has the same hail team as before. There's not much to say here.

I tried to use a non Acrobatics move with Ramses.

To his credit, he made that poo poo hurt.

But for his follow-up, he just did what he should have to start with. I'm also surprised that Mamoswine didn't use Icicle Crash.

Cirno is a pretty good pick against Yuki's team. She has a pretty high SpDef stat, and is part ice. Also her ability only lets her take damage from direct attacks. If she could learn Flamethrower, she could probably sweep the whole team while laughing about it.

Starmie tried to scald Cirno. She shocked the poo poo out of it instead.

Cryogonal is swapped into a thunderbolt, but doesn't really feel it.

Cirno, meanwhile, no sells Mega Cryogonal's 20%-HP-per-turn sleet.

Yuki's AI has no idea what to do when your pokemon can also no sell her 100% accuracy blizzards. Cirno barely feels that poo poo.

Cirno's Moonblasts deal much more damage than anything Cryogonal can throw at her.

Yuki tries to use Freeze Dry, but she's just not quite getting that Cirno is part ice type. Ironically if she had it use its last move, Hidden Power Fire, Cirno would be hurting quite a bit. Instead her AI is laser focused on "USE ACCURATE BLIZZARDS"

Cirno brings Cryogonal down to critical with another Moonblast.

Then it finally goes down with the third Moonblast. Cirno is looking worse for the wear after all those blizzards, but she'll be fine.

I kinda wish that I had kept Steve on the team. You'll see why later, but for the moment he's a much better choice against Chandelure than Aragog is.

Aragog transforms...

Weakness to fire sucks.

Once more, with feeling!

My dumb rear end kept forgetting that Primal Kami can't hit supereffective.

Thankfully it's at this point that I remember.

Once Kami comes out, the battle is pretty much over.

It keeps eating hits from stuff that's faster, but then it just blasts them with its Judgment.

Fairly solid work all around for Kami.

Raven Fridge Rotom takes advantage of the hail to nail Kami with a perfect accuracy blizzard.

And here comes Charsi to neuter that poo poo.

This went a lot better this time. Though Yuki was still a pretty big stumbling block. Her team is oddly harder than everyone else's.

I'm sure you can easily handle the rest of the Elite Four. I wish you the best of luck, Amy.

Ah, London. Talk to me, my man!

Ah, so you've returned. I can see you more deeply than you could possibly know. You haven't just returned to confront me- but also your destiny itself. And- ... ... ...For crying out loud, how does every speech I write, end up that pretentious? Anyways, welcome back, Amy. Are you ready for your rematch? I've done nothing but train since I saw you last! Let's get this show on the road! My Trick Room team will stop you in your tracks!

London's team is pretty mean, but after Yuki, he's a nice way to catch your breath in preparation for the champion. As before, Mega Reuniclus is gonna set up Trick Room.

Aragog takes a small hit and then punches out Mega Fetus with X-Scissor.

Oh man, I feel bad for London.

Supereffective Acrobatics from Ramses. Ouch.

:stare: Cirno just ate dirt in a single hit from that Marowak.

So let's bring out the "trump card," Nessie.

She eats a Stone Edge, but sets up Sunny Day.

And... and... that's... awful low...

Not realizing what's happened, I set up Toxic...

Nessie eats an earthquake and...

Recovers 33 HP. That's approximately 1/16th of 468 HP. Uh oh. We have a huge problem.

Thankfully Nessie is still a special attacker that's nearly as strong as Cirno. It's just that her Phototroph ability doesn't work. I don't know if it's because she's holding leftovers or if the ability is bugged or what, but ultimately it doesn't matter. The problem is that without her gimmick, she's basically dead weight on the team and took a spot from Steve, who actually deserved it and could put in actual work.

The next match is Charsi against a Scizor. Bug/Steel vs Fire/Steel. Go on and guess how that goes.

All the stat boosts in the world don't matter if you get one shot on your first turn.

Aragog hits Jellicent's ghost weakness with Shadow Claw and gets disabled for his efforts.

Jellicent dares Aragog to bring it.

So he does.

I don't really have a good answer to Togekiss. Charsi is the closest thing because of its steel weakness, but...

I first try hitting its flying type with a rock attack. That seems okay, but Charsi gets paralyzed.

I should have hammered Charsi with a Full Restore.

But because this is a flinchakiss...

Down goes Charsi.

Ramses comes out to avenge Charsi.

Its Dazzling Gleam retaliation really loving hurts. Ramses almost goes down in a single hit.

But almost is not enough, and priority Acrobatics continues to win the day.

The doors to our Champion should open to you, now. Best of luck. I have a feeling you're going to need it, good as you are.

The Champion doors open...

There's two of them?

Uh, hi. I guess you're wondering who we are. I'm Graham.
I'm Tobias.
We're brothers. Twins, despite the size difference. There was some weird time stuff going on in Vesryn. We were in the Pokemon League members from there.

No, really. It actually says that.

I'm a Gym Leader, he was an Elite Four member.
We were invited over after your previous Champion left, and you know what that means.
If you wanna beat the League again, you're gonna have to take on both of us at once.So do you think you can handle it? I'm a master of Dark-type pokemon, and my brother excels in Ghost-types.
Together, we're completely undefeatable.
Let's not waste any time.

Tobias and Graham are a double battle. However, there's a small bug. A slight glitch. Do you see those levels?

The Champion refight doesn't scale for some reason. So instead of an actual fight, this turns into a victory lap.

Ramses smacks the Gengar for most of its HP.

Spiritomb sucker punches Ramses and knocks him clean out.

Gengar tries to Shadow Ball Cirno and then goes down from recoil.

Cirno finally hits the Spiritomb for most of its HP with a particularly nasty Moonblast.

Just for laughs, I send Kami out to replace Ramses.

Tobias pulls his Spiritomb back and sends out...

His Protean Greninja. :cripes:

Kami casts its judging eyes on Aegislash and deems it unworthy.

Cirno takes out the Greninja before it can make mischief.

The Aegislash doesn't like that and knocks her out.

Is it mean to have a mega evolution fighting side by side with a primal reversion? Yeah, probably. Is it fun? You bet your rear end it is.

Kami brings down its wrath on the Aegislash for knocking out its christmas buddy.

Then, being mindful that a wrathful god probably wouldn't enjoy being hit with friendly fire from an earthquake, Aragog hammers Spiritomb's ghost weakness.

And so things get a lot more interesting.

Shiftry...

And Delta Milotic both mega evolve.

Mega Shiftry sucker punches Kami, who doesn't think that was such a wise move.

Aragog repeats its Shadow Claw performance in Mega Delta Milotic.

Kami finishes judging Shiftry while...

Aragog clenches the championship for Amy a second time!

Both speakers are guys, so I have no idea who this is.

It seems as if- Wait, what the...

Hahaha. Sylvan suddenly feels old

Hello Professor.
Congratulations, Amy, as usual. It seems like you're the Champion. Just recently you were in my lab... choosing your very first pokemon. And now you're the Champion of the Torren League. That's amazing. I'm so proud of you.

Seeya shitlords!

This is where I record you and your team to be remembered as champions forever! Congratulations, Amy. You've done so much for this region, and now you've beaten its league. You deserve it.

:toot:

That's all for this update, and almost all there is for the LP.

NEXT TIME: Join me for the very last update of Pokemon Insurgence.

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 25, 2019

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

DoubleNegative posted:

I have a little going-away gift for this very nice thread about a surprisingly charming little fangame. See, there's one person I'd never under any circumstance invoke for that other game. But I think Insurgence has earned it.

I'm exiting my ball

For here
I am sat in a Poke Ball
Deep in a PC

I'm feeling very still

I'm back in the box

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

DoubleNegative posted:

Online features for this barely work. Wonder trade, I suspect, probably does. But there is a hardcoded exception for trying to wonder trade your Mew.

I love this a lot, that's just cute.

I don't love that bullshit Spore spam though, that's gross.

DoubleNegative posted:

Raven Fridge Rotom takes advantage of the hail to nail Kami with a perfect accuracy blizzard.

There is something very fitting about Raven killing God.

London's speeches continue to be great.

Sucks that Nessie was bugged.

I'm going to be sad when this ends, but I'm looking forward to seeing the finale.

EclecticTastes posted:

I'm exiting my ball

For here
I am sat in a Poke Ball
Deep in a PC

I'm feeling very still

I'm back in the box

:golfclap: Perfect! That's amazing.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Oh my god Space Mew is so cute :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

I need a Space Mew plushie.