Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

Tekopo posted:

Also Cessna although I'm not involved with miniature wargaming, it always felt to me that miniature wargaming seemed to attract more fascists, or at least them being more visible, than in board wargaming.

I think the visibility aspect is related to the differences of dominant game types. Board wargaming seems to focus a lot more on the historical, and although you can get the weird fascists, most folks I know that play board wargames are interested in the events around the games and are willing to play other sides.

Of course, miniatures themselves are a part of the visibility - they are inherently visible physical objects and, because the modern fash trends are tied hand-in-hand with getting reactions from people, you see a lot more of jackasses painting iron crosses on stuff.

There’s also the mechanical difference between board wargaming, which takes into account supply lines, support, and the mechanics of war itself, versus miniature wargaming, which is often just the exciting action-y bits. The glorification of war and bloodshed is a lot easier when the only aspect you are meaningfully interacting with is combat - the stuff that’s zoomed in, allowing space for ‘heroic narratives’ and the mythologizing of warriors over the logistics and “boring stuff”.

Alternate theory is that when 40k, the very visible miniature wargame, lost its satirical edge, it encouraged more people to sculpt in the style and produce unironic fascist-glorifying miniatures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Tekopo posted:

Also Cessna although I'm not involved with miniature wargaming, it always felt to me that miniature wargaming seemed to attract more fascists, or at least them being more visible, than in board wargaming.

I am totally pulling this out of my rear end and speculating here, but I think that might be because miniature wargaming requires more commitment.

I buy a hex-and counter wargame. I read the rules, find an opponent, punch out the counters, set up the game, and start playing.

I buy a miniatures wargame. I read the rules, find an opponent, spend a few hundred dollars on an army, spend dozens of hours researching paint schemes, then put hundreds of hours into cleaning, painting, and basing an army, set up the game, and start playing.

I think if you're going to spend a hundred or so hours into painting toy Nazis you might not be doing it casually.

That said, yes, I do have 15mm scale Germans. They're an "opfor" army for my Soviets. They don't have little swastika flags or anything, they're just generic bad-guys I can put on the table in case the person I want to play against only has Allied/Soviet WWII armies. My group tends to do this - paint armies in pairs. If you want to play a game with Celts also paint some Romans, if you want to play a game with 1805 Austrians also paint 1805 French, etc. There's nothing worse than buying, building, and painting an army only to find out no one you know has an opponent army to match it.

Tekopo posted:

I haven't had the chance to meet anyone that was and out and out wehraboo while playing board wargames, even with strangers from the internet.

I wish I was as lucky. They're out there.

Tekopo posted:

I'm glad that I managed to find a group of people that are more to the left and still enjoy wargames.

Same, I'd probably quit the hobby if I hadn't.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Tekopo posted:

I do feel there have been improvements, and this is mostly from the Russian archives finally being open and thus allowing a much more nuanced discussion of the eastern front.

Agreed.

Also:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Harold McNeill facts! The OP didn't seem to know much about Magic and I know too much so I'm here to help!

His last new artist credits for Magic: The Gathering are from the 1997 set Tempest. He illustrated six cards, the Circle of Protection cycle.

The last time a card was printed with his art was in 2006, with the set Time Spiral's side-feature Timeshifted, which reprinted cards from Magic's history basically as-is. This included Enduring Renewal.

Unless you count the digital-only Magic: The Gathering Online set Masters Edition III from 2009. That reused the aforementioned Lightning Blow art.

He did 27 pieces for them total, and no matter how you count it, it's been over 20 years since Wizards of the Coast commissioned a new piece from him and over a decade since they last reused art of his, so they've definitely cut ties with McNeill.

Fun facts:

He illustrated four cards for the Africa-themed Mirage block. How racist they are or how far they go to avoid depicting anything is anyone's guess.

Cards on Wizard's own database, Gatherer, have unique multiverse ID numbers. As a random example, Samite Elder has the ID 22962.

Invoke Prejudice is #1488.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Talking about miniature wargames, there's a system out there that centers around battles in the fictitious country of Bongolesia. Bongolesia is chock-full of gross African stereotypes, which were defended in the following way by the creator of the scenario:

quote:

Wow...
Another year has come and gone and the old Bongo Blog keeps on trucking...
Once again I am amazed and so grateful for all of the support that everyone has given in maintaining the interest to it.
I would especially like to think Rebel Minis for their dedication to the "Bongolesia" setting for their "Modern Havok" rules. A big thumbs up and here's hoping for more shenanigans as many of his figures grace my tables...
Some of you have asked me "How do I do it?" and the answer is..."I really couldn't do it without you."
And I am being honest.
Over the last six years, I've received praise and flak because of this site. I've grown a thick skin, because of some of the mis-aligned arrows that has been sent my way because of it. I've been accused of being a racist, bigot, prejudiced, and "just mean spirited".
But those that know me also know that I am none of those.
One only has to look at the dark history of many countries in Africa, (even today) and realize that "If Bongolesia was truly like any of those places, it wouldn't have lasted six months on the net, let alone six years"...
Mel Brooks once said "I beat Hitler if I can make him a laughingstock." I try to do the same thing using Idi Amin as "P'hat Daddee B'wonah". Sure his excellency is a scheming scoundrel and has a dark side. But if I can make him a bit of a buffoon, with constant schemes of richness, and power, destined to fail, then perhaps then in a way we have beat that man. And it is with your help that we win...every time...
And for that...I am grateful.
Thank you everyone for another year at the helm of foolishness and fun....

Yeah that's right, it's satire, like Mel Brooks. I mean, apart from the fact that Bongolesia's name is derived from a really racist way to refer to African countries, and a phrase that's often used by extremely racist right-wing people in the UK...

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I have ASL Starter Kit #1 literally in the mail as of two hours ago and while I know there's a pretty huge wargaming scene within an hour of here (First Minnesota Historical Wargame Society) I'm suddenly full of trepidation about actually trying to play it with people instead of just soloing stuff in my garage. :ohdear:

Seriously, great thread so far though.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

...wait.

Wait.

Is he saying he can't be racist because he was too nice, as an accurate depiction of anywhere in Africa would be roasted off the internet? I can't think how else to interpret "If Bongolesia was truly like any of those places, it wouldn't have lasted six months on the net, let alone six years"

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

...wait.

Wait.

Is he saying he can't be racist because he was too nice, as an accurate depiction of anywhere in Africa would be roasted off the internet? I can't think how else to interpret "If Bongolesia was truly like any of those places, it wouldn't have lasted six months on the net, let alone six years"

quote:

The People and The Country as a whole

Bongolesia is set up to be a third world African Hell-Hole that the goverment has tricked the people (mostly) into believing that it's the best thing going since sliced bread. The people are generally uneducated and guillable, but also scheming and have perfected many ways to seperate a person from their money. Greed is paramount in Bongolesia as everything "has a price", and it's been a long unspoken tradition of The Bongolesian people to "Get what you can, when you can, and the mostest that you can, in the quickest that you can"...
This is reflected on the National Seal which has the National Motto (in latin) as:"Nos don't volo a succurro manus manus ; Nos iustus volo a manus manus - sicco." ("We don't want a helping hand, We just want a hand-out...")
The Bongolesian people are shown to be mostly greedy, wanting, and always "needy". They never seem to have enough, and are always out to get "more more more". Due to European Influence in the early 20th Century and UN and International Aid Programs, the concept of begging, and "getting something for nothing" has taken on a whole new level of meaning with the people of Bongolesia.
(This is meant as a satire and an ironice look at the failed programs in Africa over the last 40 years.)

I remember posting about this in the old Grogs.txt thread.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

yeah i'm saying he literally looks at the racist poo poo he squatted out and is claiming it's nicer than the actuality of Africa, comma, a real place populated by real humans

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Mors Rattus posted:

yeah i'm saying he literally looks at the racist poo poo he squatted out and is claiming it's nicer than the actuality of Africa, comma, a real place populated by real humans
Yep, it's a hell of a double-down.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
I infrequently attend minis wargames conventions and I agree that anyone with significant nazi detailing on their WW 2 army is likely fash. The amount of advantages that germans had in Flames of War attracted a lot of players, but SS weren’t that great of a list, so taking them was probably suspect. The disadvantages russians had were extremely dumb, but it was fun to have 3x as much stuff as others.

I haven’t played that game in 9-10 years though so before people got more open about it. I remember a “What if we handled benghazi better” event listing from 2016 that was pretty :psyduck:

I think American Civil War is worse, plenty of explicit confederate pride and “heritage not hate” types. Historical minis (at least the conventions) seems to be like 70% nerds and 30% old military types, and it’s kind of an expensive hobby so there’s already a slant rightward.

Good thread

actually3raccoons
Jun 5, 2013

Fellis posted:

I think American Civil War is worse, plenty of explicit confederate pride and “heritage not hate” types. Historical minis (at least the conventions) seems to be like 70% nerds and 30% old military types, and it’s kind of an expensive hobby so there’s already a slant rightward.

There's an unsurprising amount of that at Civil War reenactments as well, at least what I can recall from the mid-late 90's.

Back on topic, I live perilously close to A Store of Fire and Dice, which got banned by WotC after they altered the player conduct sheet "ironically". The store has kek flags and Pepe poo poo in it, so there's that, too.

I got excited when I saw a new store had opened, only to find out that the owner is a wehraboo, so that one's off the list as well.

quote:

Good thread

^^^

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

actually3raccoons posted:

The store has kek flags and Pepe poo poo in it, so there's that, too.

what the gently caress.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

oh right i remember that one blowing up for a few days, did they just get banned from organized play/mtg event stuff, or can they not buy magic cards directly now?

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Jesus christ.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Speaking of Privateer/Warmahordes and the fash-adjacent, have they stopped giving Larry "Sad Puppy" Correia work yet?

actually3raccoons
Jun 5, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

oh right i remember that one blowing up for a few days, did they just get banned from organized play/mtg event stuff, or can they not buy magic cards directly now?

Last I heard they were totally banned, but I'm pretty sure the other local stores were buying extra and selling it to him for unsanctioned tournaments.

It's not just that, though. He bragged about violating the D&D AL rules in the coordinator FB group that Wizards runs, then did this and cried victim, while proudly claiming to have edited the page himself on his personal Twitter account. I think I took a screenshot, it's definitely not on his account now.

Hambly started a GoFundMe for the owner, if that puts his choadliness in perspective.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

actually3raccoons posted:

Last I heard they were totally banned, but I'm pretty sure the other local stores were buying extra and selling it to him for unsanctioned tournaments.

It's not just that, though. He bragged about violating the D&D AL rules in the coordinator FB group that Wizards runs, then did this and cried victim, while proudly claiming to have edited the page himself on his personal Twitter account. I think I took a screenshot, it's definitely not on his account now.

Hambly started a GoFundMe for the owner, if that puts his choadliness in perspective.

Shame. I remember this blowing up in the MTG thread and after the paltry Hambly fundraising thought it would've closed by now.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Ok I got a question, it fits the thread but it's kinda a hosed up question. Mostly because I really really don't want it to be true.

But are Orkz meant to Africans?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
...no?

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

BoneMonkey posted:

Ok I got a question, it fits the thread but it's kinda a hosed up question. Mostly because I really really don't want it to be true.

Orkz are soccer hooligans.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Good.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Loomer posted:

Orkz are soccer hooligans.

Okay this makes a lot of sense

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

BoneMonkey posted:

Okay this makes a lot of sense

Ghaghzull Mag Uruk Thraka is apocryphally Margaret Thatcher.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Orks are cockney hooligans.

Stormboyz used to be a parody of fash punks.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

All of 40k began as Thatcher-era unsubtle satire of English society, basically.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

BoneMonkey posted:

There have been some uncomfortable bits in the past where GW has played up the Praetorian IG regiments against irks and leaned a bit too heavily on the Zulu/Rorkes Drift comparison imo

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

BoneMonkey posted:

uh, very early RT-era orks sometimes had elements of ww1 germans re-imagined as brutish huns as per that old stereotype - they sometimes had pickelhaubes, hunic hats, their vehicles were suffixed with -wagon (or even wagen), they used stikk bombs (which was an alternate slang for potato mashers), orks that bothered with uniforms back then had stuff that looked like imperial german stuff, etc, etc, etc

they've changed a lot since then - nowadays they seem more like football hooligans

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

hard counter posted:

uh, very early RT-era orks sometimes had elements of ww1 germans re-imagined as brutish huns as per that old stereotype - they sometimes had pickelhaubes, hunic hats, their vehicles were suffixed with -wagon (or even wagen), they used stikk bombs (which was an alternate slang for potato mashers), orks that bothered with uniforms back then had stuff that looked like imperial german stuff, etc, etc, etc

they've changed a lot since then - nowadays they seem more like football hooligans

That was one specific group of orks (the stormboyz) who were described as going through their rebellious teenage phase. It's handled pretty well to make fun of them for being idiots.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Solemn Sloth posted:

There have been some uncomfortable bits in the past where GW has played up the Praetorian IG regiments against irks and leaned a bit too heavily on the Zulu/Rorkes Drift comparison imo

No lie, the moment some Ham starts wanking on how much they love the Praetorians and/or Big Toof River the back of my hands start to itch something fierce. Especially when they always, always start loving quoting Zulu.

Funny thing, GW recently introduced a new Guard regiment with a similar pith-helmet aesthetic in the newest book. There's a few changes to make them look a bit more fantastical compared to the Literally British Empire In Space Praetorians, and their fluff takes a Oldhammer satirical jab at them. They're a bunch of rich kids who get given cushy assignments and fancy equipment, that tend to take heavy casualties the moment they get thrown into a situation that the more prole regiments face on a regular basis.
Praetorian fans loving haaaaaate them.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
vaguely reminded of playing Godlike, bringing a new player into the group, and the awkward conversation we had to have when he turned out to be really into the Nazis.

dude had a complete breakdown when he was informed that he was no longer welcome.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

SteelMentor posted:

No lie, the moment some Ham starts wanking on how much they love the Praetorians and/or Big Toof River the back of my hands start to itch something fierce. Especially when they always, always start loving quoting Zulu.

Funny thing, GW recently introduced a new Guard regiment with a similar pith-helmet aesthetic in the newest book. There's a few changes to make them look a bit more fantastical compared to the Literally British Empire In Space Praetorians, and their fluff takes a Oldhammer satirical jab at them. They're a bunch of rich kids who get given cushy assignments and fancy equipment, that tend to take heavy casualties the moment they get thrown into a situation that the more prole regiments face on a regular basis.

I really love the aesthetic of praetorians, but fuuuuuck actually collecting them because of all those gross associations that are inseparable from the pith helmet red coat aesthetic

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Booley posted:

That was one specific group of orks (the stormboyz) who were described as going through their rebellious teenage phase. It's handled pretty well to make fun of them for being idiots.

Orks is best.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Solemn Sloth posted:

I really love the aesthetic of praetorians, but fuuuuuck actually collecting them because of all those gross associations that are inseparable from the pith helmet red coat aesthetic

I think if you play them it’s up to you how you do it.

I’ve got a metal praetorian army here that I wouldn’t mind playing, but I’m a dumb idiot socialist greens voter so people know I don’t buy into it beyond ‘looks cool’.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yeast posted:

I think if you play them it’s up to you how you do it.

I’ve got a metal praetorian army here that I wouldn’t mind playing, but I’m a dumb idiot socialist greens voter so people know I don’t buy into it beyond ‘looks cool’.

This might need to go on a shirt.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I'm nothing if not self aware.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Zark the Damned posted:

Use the FW Female Stormcast heads, they're about the correct size and are official GW parts.

I was just wondering today if there were some WHF heads I could use for characters. This is a cool and good idea and I'm doing it.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Booley posted:

the portrayal of very early orks was generally pretty good but in all honesty imho there were a couple missteps along the way with the orks-(sometimes)-as-a-german-hun motif - i think the ork runes for orky and family from their old flavor book would make people uncomfortable in modern times for e.g.

even tho it makes sense from a satirical perspective to use orks, an insanely coarse and violent people who are still just laughably piggish goofballs underneath it all, to lampoon ideas worthy of lampooning.. i'm still glad they've developed in another direction; i prefer them as entertaining goofballs rather than fully allegorical goofballs

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

SteelMentor posted:

I thought the Praetorians lost at Big Toof River?

quote:

Which book is this and what regiment was it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Comstar posted:

I thought the Praetorians lost at Big Toof River?

They did!

The diorama is called 'Massacre at Big Toof River'. The Praetorian 24th get completely wiped out.