Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

GotLag posted:

An often-overlooked consideration for balancers is aesthetic.

Bottom: 4x4 belt balancer
Top: 4x4 belt and lane balancer

Ooooh, a new A E S T H E T I C. Nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
I was always under the impression that balancer's were largely unnecessary with the changes to allow priority splitting.

Balancing your bus after pulling off of it isn't really doing anything for you, especially if you always pull off of one side/lane just using priority splitters allows full throughput and doesn't just redistribute a lesser amount of materials on 4 lanes for no reason

Balancers can make sense sometimes to join differing amounts of inputs and outputs or variable rates of item flow, but realistically what are you gaining by using 4 lane balancers besides just buffering 4 lanes with slightly less material than you could just reduce to 3 at full throughput. Loading/Train stations are the only other place I can see them where you would want all the lanes feeding at the same time regardless of the amount of items

Scorps fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Apr 23, 2019

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
For me it is a baked in habit. Imagine me still adjusting the antenna bunny ears as my 3rd step in troubleshooting despite having cable tv.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Yeah I don't use balancers anywhere except train stations. Priority lanes work better in all other cases.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Went back to loving with 3-8 trains. They have a good bit more acceleration and braking power than a 1-4, and carrying more stuff is always good. Designing stations, I've found that they are best off with one locomotive in front and two in back. That lets the back two locomotives hang out on a curve, saving a little space.

My current gigastation for train delivery looks like this. Bays for four 3/8 trains. Each train gets 16 belts pulled off, which is put through one of the unlimited throughput 16 to 16 balancers I mentioned on the previous page. I found the gap design was a better fit than the inline. Total this is 64 belts of fun.

I actually need to stretch the length vertically by one more track. The very tip of the back car is hitting a train signal I don't want it to, even though the trains actually fit.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 23, 2019

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

^^ The scale of that is amazing to me. I've gotten nowhere even close to that. It's a pretty nice design, but I'm curious what the smelting stacks on top of that have to look like to use up that many belts!

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

GotLag posted:

An often-overlooked consideration for balancers is aesthetic.

Aesthetic use of balancers you say? (This has probably already been posted)

Factorio.print("Factorio")
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etlg8tNlY84

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

I thought I was so clever when I created a system to automatically prevent my oil cracking from backing up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lVAFcDX4eM

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Oil does not need to be that complicated, I think people way overthink it.

Petrol should go to making plastic and acid, and divert to making solid fuel if there's more than 90% in storage.
Heavy oil should go to lubricant and divert to cracking to light oil if there's more than 50% in storage, or solid fuel if you don't have cracking yet.
Light oil should go to solid fuel and divert to cracking to petrol if there's more than 80% in storage, or solid fuel if you don't have cracking yet.

If you use this priority system as long as you are using plastic, acid, or solid fuel you will not have backups, and if you're not using any of those three things then a backup is not a problem.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Half a wit more than baby Asahel, or half a wit less? You decide.
Man....was browsing through mods, and...some people just want to watch the world burn:

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/PlaceableOffGrid

At least that's the only conclusion I can come to based on the existence of this mod.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

The Locator posted:

^^ The scale of that is amazing to me. I've gotten nowhere even close to that. It's a pretty nice design, but I'm curious what the smelting stacks on top of that have to look like to use up that many belts!

Almost definitely a heavily beaconed layout with that many belts. It'll be a wide smeltery but not app that tall.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Half-wit posted:

Man....was browsing through mods, and...some people just want to watch the world burn:

At least that's the only conclusion I can come to based on the existence of this mod.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=69916

Todays patch release contains this title worthy gem:

Fixed that generators would produce infinite pollution in some cases.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

This is violence

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Half-wit posted:

Thanks for the anxiety

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Burn it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So I have a question for anyone using Vanilla Train Network by Haphollas.

I have it all working except for one thing - the trains sit at the loading stations with a full cargo waiting for the circuit condition 'Green' > 0. I cannot for the life of me figure out what is wrong. I started by building the Depot, one Iron out and one Iron in, and it was working fine. As soon as I added a Copper out and Copper in, I ran into problems where the Copper trains would just sit and wait for green. I eventually found a place where I had a wire missing and the instant I fixed it, the trains started moving, but all the green circuit conditions stopped working on the Iron also.

I've now got red circuit stations added, but I had to disable the green circuit condition on all the trains or they will all just sit with a full cargo at the supply stations.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

necrotic posted:

Yeah I don't use balancers anywhere except train stations. Priority lanes work better in all other cases.

Balancers are also good for evening out exhaustion of mining sites within a resource patch.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Of particular interest to me was how the textures were stored and why that was chosen, though I also wanted to know why a 45-tick clock was chosen.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Chakan posted:

Of particular interest to me was how the textures were stored and why that was chosen, though I also wanted to know why a 45-tick clock was chosen.

It’s only a matter of time before someone builds factorio inside factorio.

Recursive factorio.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Half-wit posted:

Alternately, some people just want to have fun and ignore 'common sense rules'. I think that mod looks hilarious and I applaud them for their ingenuity.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The question isn't "why?"

The question is "why not?"

This is a world where somebody wrote a programming language for orangutans.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The question isn't "why?"

The question is "why not?"

This is a world where somebody wrote a programming language for orangutans.

Haha I was just reading about that earlier this week.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

ShadowHawk posted:

I reported this issue over a year and a half ago and it got closed as "working as intended" by some jerk moderator:

https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=46646

Here it is in suggestions thread form:

https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=47857

So far no developer has indicated they've even seen it or consider it a problem, despite all the blogging about user interface improvements they've been making lately. Please do send them a message, you are definitely not alone here.
Quoting myself from 6 months ago. Does the game still default to overwriting a completely different game's save file?

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
Does anyone know of (or can make) a mod that lets Bob's electrolysis buildings output a single gas type (like half as much green instead of white+green) or ideally, make better use of the white gas early on? I constantly have too much of it and turning it into solid fuel is a chore due to the coal needed. I wish I could just convert the white gas to red or green instead of just dumping it... especially now that Bob's metals updated and now need red gas to make steel (am i just crazy or do others have this now too??)... so now I have to output tons of red+white and the white is constantly backing everything up.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

ShadowHawk posted:

Quoting myself from 6 months ago. Does the game still default to overwriting a completely different game's save file?

I think when you save a new game it doesn't have a default name, so you have to pick something.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Slayerjerman posted:

Does anyone know of (or can make) a mod that lets Bob's electrolysis buildings output a single gas type (like half as much green instead of white+green) or ideally, make better use of the white gas early on? I constantly have too much of it and turning it into solid fuel is a chore due to the coal needed. I wish I could just convert the white gas to red or green instead of just dumping it... especially now that Bob's metals updated and now need red gas to make steel (am i just crazy or do others have this now too??)... so now I have to output tons of red+white and the white is constantly backing everything up.

Do you not have flare stacks? They're gas voids, just toss everything you don't want into one of those or a clarifier for liquids.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Alkydere posted:

Do you not have flare stacks? They're gas voids, just toss everything you don't want into one of those or a clarifier for liquids.

Load those babies up with Pollution Modules and spread the love!

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Alkydere posted:

He doesn't even need those. Bobs includes something called a 'Gas Vent' exactly for this purpose. Put a pump on an unused tank connection, wire it to the tank and set the condition to something like hydrogen (the white gas) > 23000 then fit the gas vent on the pump. Add power and the tank will stay under your limit (unless it's filling at an insane rate).

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Gas Vents are slow as heck, you need like 5+ to match a Flare Stack (which is fine imo since flares are higher tech and more expensive)

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Overflow Valve --> Flare Stack solves a lot of problems. :)

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Rejoice (or don't, see if I care), Anonymods is out for 0.17.

https://mods.factorio.com/mods/AnonymoScoot/AnonyMods

If you've done Bobs/angels to death but want something complex, this will do it. Just remember to add FNEI to chase down what everything is for.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Is this compatible with pyanodon's, angels, and bobs all together?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
On that note, if I wanted to start a silly big modded game, what would be the recommended set up?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Half-wit posted:

Is this compatible with pyanodon's, angels, and bobs all together?

I highly doubt it but give it a few months with the russians and you'll have a patch.

Half-wit
Aug 31, 2005

Sorry, I was intending that to be humorous mocking, I spend a little time on the Factorio forums, and that's always one of the initial responses.

Let me just look that up for this mod...

https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=95&t=38927

Yeah...fourth post. :thunk:

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Ratzap posted:

Rejoice (or don't, see if I care), Anonymods is out for 0.17.

https://mods.factorio.com/mods/AnonymoScoot/AnonyMods

If you've done Bobs/angels to death but want something complex, this will do it. Just remember to add FNEI to chase down what everything is for.

Do you know if his attempts to modify pipes works? Asking because Bob's alternate pipe types turned out to be strictly worse than vanilla if I remember right.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

LLSix posted:

Do you know if his attempts to modify pipes works? Asking because Bob's alternate pipe types turned out to be strictly worse than vanilla if I remember right.

Worse how? Last i tried them some of the more advanced material ones had longer reach underground and that was great.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

They could hold more fluid than vanilla pipes, and this lowered their throughput significantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

LLSix posted:

True with the much older fluid mechanics (the simulation used to go mental) but more recently he's said they do work with the improvements they made. Personally I use stone real early then iron till I have tungsten. Anonymods pipes had the same problems before and seem to work now due to the fluid changes.
The big promised fluid update should lay it all to ground for good once they release it.