Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
5 fat old weirdos on a rusty tramp trawler, a fitting tribute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Lord Koth posted:

Yeah, because every single sailor on the boat was a Nazi, weren't they? Or even the majority, given the German military on the whole was very heavily apolitical. Certainly should be cheering how a huge number of HUMAN BEINGS were left in loving freezing water (where the vast majority died) because the extremely large enemy fleet didn't bother to really conduct rescue operations on an extremely flimsy excuse.

:goonsay:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Lord Koth posted:

Ah, yes, not actually what I said, good job. Of loving course war crimes were committed, and of loving course there were Nazis part of it - especially among the upper echelons - but there's a world of difference between that and "let's loving celebrate them all getting killed." lovely sentiments like this is what leads to garbage like the loving trophies of goddamn human remains being taken by the US in the Pacific.

No, I agree with this, and "let's celebrate the ship getting sunk" too. What I didn't agree with is "let's celebrate all these lovely people getting killed (ignoring that a decent portion were probably normal people)."

i'm a professional seafarer and i say kill 'em all

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
I don't think you'll find much of a fertile ground for "the ones that weren't high-ranking were just doing what they were told and not REAL Nazis" lines of argument. If they put on a uniform, they were full loving Nazis. Heck, if they didn't even try to stop fascism, they were AT LEAST collaborators. We can't look at Kristallnacht and say that anyone who stood silent was anything other than supportive of the greatest systemic evil of the last four centuries.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

EponymousMrYar posted:

Cool hardware transcends ideologies.

Yeah the Bismarck isn't that either.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Lord Koth posted:

German military on the whole was very heavily apolitical.

*Leans down very close to the mic*

Wrong.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Cobbsprite posted:

I mean, that ignores how moving to the kind of cover you describe would usually require giving broadside to somebody who might have the AP to punish you for it. And how you could be getting burned down until that happens. But if I, in a Yorck, run into an unspotted Atlanta in the open? I can probably kill it 1v1. There are ways that Atlanta can be a monster in the right hands, but "in the open" is not one of those.

Most of the time you shouldn't even be in a position where an island Atlanta can shoot you. If you do end up in such a position, there are ways to get out of it.
Also, all of those options are things that simply do not exist against a carrier. A lot of ships can park in cover where you can't shoot them without repositioning, but other than carriers they all give something up by using cover.

If you run into an unspotted Atlanta in the open there is a pretty good chance that it is a bad and you can kill it anyway, but if it is not a bad it has huge advantages. You can still kill it if you get reasonable luck with 8" overmatch citadels, but you'll almost inevitably take a lot of damage.

Playing island ship in US light cruisers is viable because the enemy team will have dumb pubbies that happily park in front of you to get damage farmed and then post on the official forums and reddit about how you are a cancer ship, but they are also perfectly good in open water. It just requires playing your ship differently. You don't drive around at full speed and maximum range firing your guns every time you reload, the way you would in a French cruiser. You use concealment to avoid being focus fired, and when you aren't being focus fired you take advantage of your much higher damage output than the usual open water ships.

Lord Koth posted:

Yes, making videos like that is weird, but the other side of the coin is just as bad.

Can we try not to both sides the actual Nazis in this thread?

edit: while the surface fleet did not commit as many war crimes as the rest of the Nazi military, it is harder to commit war crimes when your ship is either getting sunk on its maiden voyage or parked in a fjord acting as a distraction for enemy bombers.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 24, 2019

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Germans had some pretty rad ships, shame about that whole Nazi thing. Tirpitz is illegal amounts of fun to play.

Also I'm a terrible person that enjoys Sabaton.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
I enjoy Sabaton also, but I really wish they'd write fewer songs about Nazis or Crusaders. I don't actually get the sensation that they are Nazis but I'd love for them to prove it to me.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

there is basically nothing in history more metal than the crusades, with the possible exception of the mongols and the vikings

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

DonkeyHotay posted:

there is basically nothing in history more metal than the crusades, with the possible exception of the mongols and the vikings

Neo-assyrian kings are recorded as gloating about flaying prisoners and hanging their skin all over

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Best part of that video was the Fairey Swordfish. Worst part of WoWS is you cannot blow up Bismarks with Fairey Swordfish.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Burt posted:

Yeah this. CVs aren't the best right now but I will take this over the old system anyday. Also, as a DD player, I'd rather get rid of radar than carriers.

gently caress, same. Radar can go eat one. It's super fun and interactive to get radared out of nowhere in my Minotaur and get blown up by 5 ships 5-10 seconds later.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

James Garfield posted:

Yes I know you were being sarcastic.

But the sarcasm doesn't really work, because players at different skill levels shockingly play the game differently. CVs are designed to kill ships that are not near several teammates, and for the average player "always stay close to your teammates" is good advice, but both good and bad players (for completely different reasons) will often want to separate from their team.

In world of tanks you had people saying things like "only bad players get hit by artillery, just park behind a rock" because they simply did not realize that you could shoot more tanks and win more games if you didn't park behind a rock even though it sometimes got you hit by artillery.

I think that if someone wants to invest fully in AA skills and modules, and in return lower their effectiveness against other surface ships, then that should make them a very hard target for a CV even if they're alone. Right now you can only do that on select ships that already have amazing AA because the AA skills are so mediocre and the flak itself is a crapshoot.

Also holy poo poo this argument over the Sabaton video. :staredog:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Der Shovel posted:

gently caress, same. Radar can go eat one. It's super fun and interactive to get radared out of nowhere in my Minotaur and get blown up by 5 ships 5-10 seconds later.

I played a game yesterday when I sailed up near an island, got radar'd and snap shotted by a Yamato from 20km before I could move. That was fun.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

45 new posts in the botes thread?! What happ-

:yikes:

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

Neo-assyrian kings are recorded as gloating about flaying prisoners and hanging their skin all over

I stand corrected.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Lord Koth posted:

Yeah, because every single sailor on the boat was a Nazi, weren't they? Or even the majority, given the German military on the whole was very heavily apolitical. Certainly should be cheering how a huge number of HUMAN BEINGS were left in loving freezing water (where the vast majority died) because the extremely large enemy fleet didn't bother to really conduct rescue operations on an extremely flimsy excuse.

Yes, making videos like that is weird, but the other side of the coin is just as bad.

:chloe:

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

There should be an achievement every time you sink a Bismarck while playing a Hood.

:yeshaha:

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Apr 24, 2019

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Der Shovel posted:

The worst part about radar is that you can generally guess where an average or good player will be, and play accordingly until you know for sure. I've even sat within 8km of radar ships, snuck around for the best torpedo angles, etc. If you're careful and give them no reason to radar, you can get poo poo done.

You cannot guess that Leroy Atlanta is going to charge straight out into the open for no reason, and hit his radar without prompting.

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves and burn your fingers once again
running matchmaking monitor is sometimes truly depressing.

not a bot btw. A real human being.

Loky11 fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 24, 2019

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I had a guy in a Midway with 10 games in it who had managed to do 20000 damage total. That’s two rocket strikes in ten battles. Naturally the enemy cv was Unicum.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

bloom posted:

Ah yes, good old clean wehrmacht Cleansmarine.

Fixed.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Velius posted:

I had a guy in a Midway with 10 games in it who had managed to do 20000 damage total. That’s two rocket strikes in ten battles. Naturally the enemy cv was Unicum.

This is pretty clearly a PR account but it has a ton of games across all ship types somehow, yet:

I'm pretty sure the average damage there came from secondaries. It just drove in to a cap in front of the other team.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Gwaihir posted:

This is pretty clearly a PR account but it has a ton of games across all ship types somehow, yet:

I'm pretty sure the average damage there came from secondaries. It just drove in to a cap in front of the other team.

This makes me want to go to the Lexington Museum and surprise someone

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Loky11 posted:

running matchmaking monitor is sometimes truly depressing.

not a bot btw. A real human being.

Always remember that there is a very real chance the guy with these stats is really your little cousin happily holding down the trigger on his cool bote as he zooms around the map during his allotted video game time.

I'm not kidding, this is what my little cousins do. I'm sorry in advance. But it's so :shobon: and it took away some of my frustration.

This isn't to say there aren't fully grown terrible people playing this game.

Purr Objectives
Mar 3, 2017

Live fast, die young, and leave a beautiful corpse.
Narai again :getin:

Loky11
Dec 12, 2006

Pull on the new flesh like borrowed gloves and burn your fingers once again

Ice Fist posted:

Always remember that there is a very real chance the guy with these stats is really your little cousin happily holding down the trigger on his cool bote as he zooms around the map during his allotted video game time.

I'm not kidding, this is what my little cousins do. I'm sorry in advance. But it's so :shobon: and it took away some of my frustration.

This isn't to say there aren't fully grown terrible people playing this game.

i can confirm this is a fully grown adult who applied to a clan. Very normal on Discord. Just really didn't know how to play.

Burns
May 10, 2008

A few months back i was playing in my Bismarck and my keyboard a crappy Razer since replaced stopped working while i was in a turn. Naturally it steered right into the enemy team. I was lolling p hard at being bismarcked.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

What’s exciting about Narai?

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

Velius posted:

What’s exciting about Narai?

I haven't played any ops before, whats the deal with that one? Folks game to div up and show the way?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
You can bring a scharnhorst and print money, basically.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
guys i know its very cool to be upset at people who are bad at videogames

but sometimes people are just plain bad at videogames

there's no need to get vitriolic over it, the only thing you should be worried about is your own stats

now if its some dipshit talking mad poo poo WHILE ALSO being bad at videogames, you're all clear to go nuclear on their stupid rear end
just don't be the shitter who is bad at videogames while also complaining about people who are bad at videogames, because then you're the real rear end in a top hat

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I'm not even mad about poo poo like

I just want to see less games that are absolute blowout losses. This shouldn't be common in the end game but gently caress it is and it sucks for both sides. They need to put in some kind of matchmaking that won't pack either team people that are deeply negative or highly skilled.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Getting angry about videogames and the people who play them FTW

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Preechr posted:

You can bring a scharnhorst and print money, basically.

You can bring most Tier 7's and print money/xp. There's a little something for everyone there: transports/carrier for the DD's and cruisers, the Missouri for torp DD's and BB's and the last few waves for everyone. It's nice.

Of course some people don't get that completion is what matters in operations and AFK/quit out after getting their kills 'stolen' by another boat.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

You can bring most Tier 7's and print money/xp. There's a little something for everyone there: transports/carrier for the DD's and cruisers, the Missouri for torp DD's and BB's and the last few waves for everyone. It's nice.

Of course some people don't get that completion is what matters in operations and AFK/quit out after getting their kills 'stolen' by another boat.

Nelson and lyon are another pair of decent BBs for running it in. Nelson with its heal and overmatch while the lyon just comically rips up the missou and lexington because lol 16 gun salutes to a broadside.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011
I had some doubloons laying around and grab the Scharnhorst. 1st match was 722k credits. That'll play

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
One thing that absolutely cannot be balanced in these games is when one CV decides to work with another CV on their team.

I just did that. My Enterprise, and a Lexington with Tiny Tims. I saw him laying down rockets on a cruiser, came over, and between the two of us we deleted him before he fired a shot. Absolutely nothing he could do.

And we did it again to a DD.

Again to a Hipper.

Again to a Scharnhorst.

Because we were about the same distance from the enemy, our planes were hitting their ships at about the same time and we just kept attacking whatever the other guy was. The enemy team had a Saipan and a Graf and it mattered- not at all, because while the Saipan was doing a great job of picking off DDs, the two of us both put up around a hundred thousand damage ( each ) and focused it on the same narrow band of ships.

Highlight of the match was dropping on a Hipper from behind to box it in between three torps. When I looped around to hit it from the left, the Lexington hit it from the right. It was a literal cross drop.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Hazdoc posted:

guys i know its very cool to be upset at people who are bad at videogames

but sometimes people are just plain bad at videogames

there's no need to get vitriolic over it, the only thing you should be worried about is your own stats

Yeah my WR in the new Shokaku is currently 82% even though I'm terrible in it and gently caress up my drops all the time. Some poor CV is getting the flip side of that. I'm much better in the Ranger but I was 1-6 in that last night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Aramoro posted:

Yeah my WR in the new Shokaku is currently 82% even though I'm terrible in it and gently caress up my drops all the time. Some poor CV is getting the flip side of that.

Well, as good as you are in your Shokaku, that other poor CV can still play and participate fully. Before the rework, you would have blown that other CV's planes out of the sky in a couple of minutes, then dunked on his team for 10 minutes while he did donuts in the back field.