Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

quote:

MA dudes are never unarmed.
Except when they don't have money for replacements. Then they kind of are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

On that note, it's weird that martial artists will resort to kicking if they lose one arm, but lose both arms and they just give up.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Cardiovorax posted:

I always find it neat how organically shaped people's bases are when they post them here. I always just pick a spot and make a Minecraft-style square survival box.

Mine doesn't even have walls all the way around it! The cliffs take care of that for me. I did just make a big square box in my Holy Nation run, because there's a lot of mostly-flat space near Blister Hill.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

BMan posted:

On that note, it's weird that martial artists will resort to kicking if they lose one arm, but lose both arms and they just give up.
There's probably some kind of internal mechanical reason for it that makes arms the "weapon" limb no matter what the animation looks like, but it's also just really hard to do martial arts kicks without using your arms for balance, if you prefer that reason. Speaking from personal experience.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Use boats as walls.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

There's probably some kind of internal mechanical reason for it that makes arms the "weapon" limb no matter what the animation looks like, but it's also just really hard to do martial arts kicks without using your arms for balance, if you prefer that reason. Speaking from personal experience.

what's it like fighting beak things

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Imagine an angry parrot hosed a giraffe and their baby is trying to eat you.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

what's it like fighting beak things

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
Beak things remind me somewhat of Rare Thrumbos in Rimworld except at least the Thrumbos had a ton of goodies you could harvest off them.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

My punch-gods don't care about beak things, they fall like so much chaff before our scything fists. (Also have some crossbow users to attack from range.)

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Saul Kain posted:

My punch-gods don't care about beak things, they fall like so much chaff before our scything fists. (Also have some crossbow users to attack from range.)

How do I make martial Masters out of my idiot dirt people

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

they might one day learn kung fu but they will never stop being idiot dirt people

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Pictured: the absolute worst way to handle a beak thing

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
To be a master martial artist, you must punch people.

I really recommend the martial arts mat mod, which will let you train to level 15. Its really hard to level up martial arts without having the different moves that you learn as you level up the skill, since at the start you just do a slow punch over and over.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Tabletops posted:

How do I make martial Masters out of my idiot dirt people
Beat up other idiot dirt people in skinner's roam for ages

Or use mods

Btw, I wish the AI had a way to recognize when your guys stop being filthy bums and turn into an actual threat to them

HO BOI THESE LOOK LIKE ESCAPED SLAVES TO ME! BETTER RUN AFTER THOSE CHUMPS

OH NO HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN TO ME

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

You have to start by doing fisticuffs on a prisoner who's as bad at martial arts as you. Also, equipping the best armor you can and giving the prisoner a rusty wakizashi is very good dodge training.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

BMan posted:

Pictured: the absolute worst beak thing

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Tin Tim posted:

Beat up other idiot dirt people in skinner's roam for ages

Or use mods

Btw, I wish the AI had a way to recognize when your guys stop being filthy bums and turn into an actual threat to them

HO BOI THESE LOOK LIKE ESCAPED SLAVES TO ME! BETTER RUN AFTER THOSE CHUMPS

OH NO HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN TO ME

What weapons are you using there?

I still have katanas (toppers mostly though) on my main guys. Originally to train dex up and they're effective early on.

I should probably switch to something else though. It's just hard cause ill probably get hosed up.

Professor Cthulhu
Jul 14, 2007

I got my Associate degree at Miskatonic Community College.

I got this baka thing mod and the steady the clown one. They are both great. Any other must have nonsense mods like these two? I'm pretty much on the tail end of the game at this point and I'm looking for dumb poo poo to add without breaking the game too much.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I've defeated the bugmaster and received the best reward I've ever gotten in this game: not having to shuffle around my food store and micromanage the bread oven every week

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Tabletops posted:

I still have katanas (toppers mostly though) on my main guys. Originally to train dex up and they're effective early on.

I should probably switch to something else though. It's just hard cause ill probably get hosed up.

the only thing weapon skill is used for is determining damage

once your melee attack and defence are up, you can swap out to hackers no problem. the only concern is getting a strength of like 60-70 in order to swing them around with impunity

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Tabletops posted:

That party is very much in the endgame state and mostly uses hackers to own security spiders and other robits. You can pretty much use whatever as long as your str is twice the weight of the weapon. Otherwise you'll get penalties

Early on I think going with katanas into polearms should be effective

Tin Tim fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 23, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That said, you use any heavy weapon with 100% of its damage capacity even if you do not meet the strength requirement, it doesn't affect the damage calculation at all. What it does is to slow down your attack rate and give you a defense penalty - you need twice the weapon's weight in STR to use it at full speed, with a reduction proportional to how much of this you're missing.

What this means is that careful micromanagement of your attackers can almost negate the downsides completely. Due to the engagement limit that makes all fights 1-on-1 no matter the numbers on each side, you just have to be good at switching them around in order to simply "tag out" characters who are on attack cooldown, which means that the enemy will keep getting hit and your defense-impaired character will be not getting pointlessly hit. It's not something I would would recommend in a fight where you're outnumbered, though.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Yeah you can do some crazy cheats in combat if you micro hard. Not my cup of tea but it's certainly powerful.

Also, one sneaky thing about the weight vs str thing is that people who get wounded in combat will lose str(on chest hits I think?) and can suddenly become too weak for their weapon which can catch you off guard a bit

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Finally figured out walls.

Also that upgrading walls and ramps doesnt necessarily mean that all the pathing isnt broken as gently caress afterwards. My gunners were starving to death before I noticed.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, that happens. Walls and gates can both change sizes as part of being upgraded, sometimes quite substantially. Regenerating the navmesh every time you make a major change to your outpost is not a bad idea. It's just a simple keypress, after all.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
Wow, I found this Area 51 type place in the Holy Nation and came out of it with a bagful of AI cores, engineering books, and other swag. Some fine pickings in that place.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Tabletops posted:

Toppers are actually decent, though. They have a smaller armor penetration penalty than other katanas, no penalty versus robots, and they're pretty long.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Professor Cthulhu posted:

I got this baka thing mod and the steady the clown one. They are both great.

I'm currently working on making steady 1000% better btw:

Professor Cthulhu
Jul 14, 2007

I got my Associate degree at Miskatonic Community College.

Babe Magnet posted:

I'm currently working on making steady 1000% better btw:

Hell yeah, clown on dude. Steady straight up feels like one of the crew to the point that I forget he's not even part of the base game sometimes.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Met King. That was fun.

Nobody fell...but I had some heavy damage to repair afterwards. But he's dead now....so yay.

edit - and then I got cocky and ran into southern hive and got my poo poo kicked in by the elites there. I did a lot of damage, but had to run away before I could grab the leader.

mauman fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 24, 2019

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Beep's arm got chopped off in a tax raid. One of my bonedogs grabbed and ate the arm. :v:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Synthbuttrange posted:

Beep's arm got chopped off in a tax raid. One of my bonedogs grabbed and ate the arm. :v:

TIME FOR CYBERBEEP

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Synthbuttrange posted:

Good dog

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
I got the training mods to train up stats during my downtime. It feels cheesy but its nice to have something productive to do when it is too dangerous to be outside my buildings.

What does the Nutrient Tank do? The description says its somewhere to put your guys when they don't have anything to do. Does it just keep them from starving or something?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Panfilo posted:

I got the training mods to train up stats during my downtime. It feels cheesy but its nice to have something productive to do when it is too dangerous to be outside my buildings.

What does the Nutrient Tank do? The description says its somewhere to put your guys when they don't have anything to do. Does it just keep them from starving or something?
When asking for help with a mod object/mechanic, it always helps to link to the mod, because there's like a million of them and there's no guarantee people can figure out which training mod you're talking about in specific.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I think it's this one?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1569705693

if so, nutrient bath puts them in stasis yeah

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Babe Magnet posted:

I think it's this one?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1569705693

if so, nutrient bath puts them in stasis yeah

Thats it, thank you.

Hmm, that doesn't sound that useful, especially considering the resources you need to build them.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

You have just watched a moment in the life of Crumble Jon

Seriously though drat, what a good recruit. Him and Kang both have great stats for recruits, and Crumblejon is free. I've got a core team of six units with 70 stealth and 40 assassination each. I've had to restart many times now on the no save/load runs, the #1 thing that's been killing me is someone getting stuck on map geometry when I'm focused on a different squad and they get mauled by bandits or robots or something while traveling, so I've really slowed down on the individual unit expeditions. Now that I've got about 50k to make some investments, I'm unsure of what to do next. I'm considering opening up Narko's Trap for some sick loot, but my only concern is that AI cores might propel me into the endgame too early and I'll get bored. The main thing stopping me from doing a world loop to grab all the recruits I can is food, so I think a base is on the horizon very soon either way. Plus, I need a place to build cages to do prisoner recruitment. Bowguns would allow me to hit above my weight class and get some high-level units to really bolster my forces, I think I want to do the ancient labs by actually clearing them out instead of relying on the cheese I did my entire last playthrough of leading all the spiders out of the building in a train

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
Where do you find Crumblejon?

I'm working on training up a kung fu master with one of my scorchlander recruits. It's neat how they gradually get new moves as they get better.

I've also heard a rumor that the stats of animals build up higher if you get them young, but I'm not certain.