Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Guys, I have a question.

Aren't NWS also a 3rd party "distributor"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Well obviously they don't want a 4th party then, that would just be silly.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

pthighs posted:

Maybe in our hubris we were never meant to rule the waves? Maybe they were meant to rule us?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Yeah cause its real loving weird that they are fine re-selling MMP products like Advanced Squad Leader, or Chessex dice towers, but gently caress having THEIR product on Steam!

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

LostMy2010Accnt posted:

Wow I straight up missed those. Thank you for pointing those out, I'll definitely read them later.

Also the beam warship tutorial on Aurora4x wiki is helpful, as it discusses a bit how to match up sensors and guns.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Guys, I have a question.

Aren't NWS also a 3rd party "distributor"?

For the purposes of RtW, it’s first-party. NWS seems to be three guys, Chris the key-emailer, Fredrik who codes a lot and doesn’t post on their forums much, and William who does more of the community engagement and also does at least some of the game work (I don’t know how much).

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Pirate Radar posted:

For the purposes of RtW, it’s first-party. NWS seems to be three guys, Chris the key-emailer, Fredrik who codes a lot and doesn’t post on their forums much, and William who does more of the community engagement and also does at least some of the game work (I don’t know how much).

I was being facetious. It's telling that when its their product they want total control, but they are fine reselling other stuff.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I was being facetious. It's telling that when its their product they want total control, but they are fine reselling other stuff.

D’oh, my bad

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

anyone got a list of good naval games. so far I have Rule the Waves, Battlestations Midway/Pacific, Distant guns, Victory at sea. What else should I add to my list?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
WitP?

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

I'm hesitant to call that a naval game, it's more a grand campaign style hex game that has a naval focus

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Tythas posted:

anyone got a list of good naval games. so far I have Rule the Waves, Battlestations Midway/Pacific, Distant guns, Victory at sea. What else should I add to my list?

Considering BS:M is on there, unironically- World of Warships.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Naval Action is still pretty dang fun if you ignore the open world meta game.

Cold Waters is fantastic.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Popete posted:

Naval Action is still pretty dang fun if you ignore the open world meta game.

Cold Waters is fantastic.

comepletely forgot about cold waters that is a good game, I didn't include WoWs because well it's WoWs and not fun

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Depending on what you want in a naval game CMANO is certainly the most realistic.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Depending on what you want in a naval game CMANO is certainly the most realistic.

agreed it fills the hole in my heart that Jane's Fleet command left

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me
I love Advanced Tactics Gold. I wanna start poking around, but I have no idea how to make scenarios, what the different rules options mean, ect.

Anyone have a link to a tutorial for using the editor or something similar?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tythas posted:

all of the Silent Hunters, except maybe 2
Silent Service 2
that whole Sonalysts line between 688(i) Hunter Killer, Dangerous Waters, and Sub Command
Task Force 1942
Carriers at War (from Matrix Games)

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

Thalantos posted:

I love Advanced Tactics Gold. I wanna start poking around, but I have no idea how to make scenarios, what the different rules options mean, ect.

Anyone have a link to a tutorial for using the editor or something similar?

Same boat. I've wanted to make a scenario with tanks disabled for an artillery infantry slog but never have managed to figure it out despite posting on the morning forums

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

Paingod556 posted:

Looking forward to The War Plan Orange Box
:golfclap: underappreciated post.

LostMy2010Accnt posted:

Wow I straight up missed those. Thank you for pointing those out, I'll definitely read them later.

If you prefer a tutorial made specifically to be a tutorial, here's one that's popular in one of the dedicated aurora discords. Never watched them myself though.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tythas posted:

Battlefleet Gothic?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Battlestar Galactica Deadlock is....ship-y.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Ceebees posted:

If you prefer a tutorial made specifically to be a tutorial, here's one that's popular in one of the dedicated aurora discords. Never watched them myself though.

My LP was intended to be a tutorial of sorts as well, but is likely now largely out of date with the most recent version of the game and also most of the image links are broken because they were embedded using http and embedding non-https images on the forums doesn't work anymore. (That is also why I never bothered to try to have it archived).

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Speaking of U-boats, has Wolfpack received any updates yet? Or any further word about the solo/bots mode they mentioned?

Slow going on the Wolfpack front, the first patch hit steam and it’s mostly big fixes and quality of life stuff for multiplayer servers. The ability to kick people, put passwords on individual boats within a server etc.

Aircraft and bots seems to be their big priority for the first major patch so hopefully it doesn’t take too long.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Intelligence Report: There are rumors that NWS developers are having trouble of mastering the principles of digital distribution.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
If only there were established companies that helped with that...

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Triggerhappypilot posted:

Intelligence Report: There are rumors that NWS developers are having trouble of mastering the principles of digital distribution.

A public subscription has been raised to fund the building of a DRM!

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Triggerhappypilot posted:

:golfclap:

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

I will never understand why they are so anti 3rd party, It's not like they will lose their IP

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Tythas posted:

I will never understand why they are so anti 3rd party, It's not like they will lose their IP

Because I worked hard making this and if someone who didn't work on the game gets a cut, it's exactly the same as piracy. You are stealing food from my plate. I would make more money selling the game on a website from the '80s to 5 people than I would selling it to potentially hundreds of thousands of people on steam. Because Steam's cut would mean 0 dollars for me, it's just a modern form of piracy, you see.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Tythas posted:

I mentioned itch.io on their forums and they admitted it would work, but it occurs to me that since their homerolled DRM system still relies on a guy emailing you a code it’s not actually an improvement anymore.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Gay Hitler posted:

Same boat. I've wanted to make a scenario with tanks disabled for an artillery infantry slog but never have managed to figure it out despite posting on the morning forums

Yeah. I've got a couple of scenarios I wanna design, one a ww1, and one a post apocalyptic.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

I'm tempted to do an effort post on their forums to show them just how many customers they are very likely to have and just how busy they will be with emails, as well as how many customers they are losing due to the DRM issue and the storefront

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Tythas posted:

as well as how many customers they are losing due to the DRM issue and the storefront

left4dead2boycott.tiff

modernwarfare2boycott.dds

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Tythas posted:

I'm tempted to do an effort post on their forums to show them just how many customers they are very likely to have and just how busy they will be with emails, as well as how many customers they are losing due to the DRM issue and the storefront

The “how many customers” thing is a good point. You could probably go through what they’ve said on the forums and put together a ballpark estimate of how many codes the guy can realistically email in a day. It can’t be that many.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

left4dead2boycott.tiff

modernwarfare2boycott.dds

well I mean we already know lots of people didn't buy the game because of the obscure sketchy website. Then they find out you gotta wait for one of the guys to hand make the serial code and email it too you, taking god knows how long. I know this kept me from buying the first one, but I also didn't pirate it. A lot of people on The Historical Gamer's and Tortuga Power's discord has said the same thing for reasons they didn't buy it

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

Thalantos posted:

Yeah. I've got a couple of scenarios I wanna design, one a ww1, and one a post apocalyptic.

I would team up to make a tank free mod where I can focus on attrition through level bombers and heavy artillery instead of breakthroughs and mobility.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Gay Hitler posted:

I would team up to make a tank free mod where I can focus on attrition through level bombers and heavy artillery instead of breakthroughs and mobility.

Thats p much my strategy when I play already :)

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Has anyone gotten witp to work on the Mac? It’s new computer time and I’m thinking of switching platforms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009
Had anyone tried John Tiller's naval games? I'm morbidly curious.