Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
jade is a prop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

To be Jade is to suffer.

:hmmyes:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

To be Jade a Jade stan is to suffer.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Clawtopsy posted:

jade is a prop

Eh, I'd say she's more of a plot device.

Well, at least it's better than stanning for Jane.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Clawtopsy posted:

:speculate:

I feel that hypothesising about things is navel-gazing at this point. If they announce there is more information to come it serves a point, if this Is It, The End, then we are writing our own fanfiction.

Fanfiction is good. And don't anyone pretend that this thread has ever been above it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
BUT 1 KNOW SOM3TH1NG MOR3 1MPORT4NT TH4N TH1S
1T 1S 4 B1G S3CR3T
M4YB3 TH3 B1GG3ST 4ND MOST 1MPORT4NT S3CR3T OF 4LL
C4NON DO3SNT 4CTU4LLY M4TT3R >8]

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Arsenic Lupin posted:

In that case, the author is quite literally dead. Not that that means anything in Homestuck.

Still around as of here, which means probably not actually dead and horsing around on Candy Earth C if someone really wanted to pick up that particular plot point.

e: Beaten to that by a fair bit because I stopped to check that I wasn't misremembering and, uh, that took a bit

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 24, 2019

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Meat is filling and feels good to chew on, but is greasy and hard to digest.

Candy is tasty and goes down easy, but you get sick of it quickly.

But together...you...put sugar on meat.

Conclusion: no matter what, Homestuck is bad for you.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Pants Donkey posted:

Meat is filling and feels good to chew on, but is greasy and hard to digest.

Candy is tasty and goes down easy, but you get sick of it quickly.

But together...you...put sugar on meat.

Conclusion: no matter what, Homestuck is bad for you.

Have you seriously never heard of a honey glazed ham jfc

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Meat and Candy have 88 chapters combined.

88 is how a Sekret says "bait".

No idea what that means, probably nothing.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Meat and Candy have 88 chapters combined.

88 is how a Sekret says "bait".

No idea what that means, probably nothing.

i love your commitment to the Aranea Secret Serket Mastermind theory more than anyone.We all have, the legend, the curses. A bright, shining monument, reaching out, luring treasure hunters to their doom. An illusion. A promise that you can change your fortunes. Begin again. Finding it, though, that's not the hard part. It's letting go.

It's letting go.

srs tho if ur right ill bow down before u

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

aranea theory is as fake as magic and obama

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

It only just occurred to me -- Dirk's power of ripping out souls applies neatly to Rosebot and Davebot.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Elephant Parade posted:

!!!!!!!!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Plom Bar posted:

Have you seriously never heard of a honey glazed ham jfc
Known health food honey glazed ham.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Clawtopsy posted:

i love your commitment to the Aranea Secret Serket Mastermind theory more than anyone.We all have, the legend, the curses. A bright, shining monument, reaching out, luring treasure hunters to their doom. An illusion. A promise that you can change your fortunes. Begin again. Finding it, though, that's not the hard part. It's letting go.

It's letting go.

srs tho if ur right ill bow down before u

Let go? Please, letting go is for chumps! :colbert: I'll have you know I manged to get all 37 Gold Bars out of the Sierra Madere vault and safely back to my penthouse at the Lucky 38 :smug: suck it game developers who were trying to teach me a valuable life lesson! Your thematic gameplay choices are no match for my ability to cheat via console commands!

But seriously though, as much as I hate myself for being drawn back into Homestuck conspiracy theories, this one just makes so much sense: Candy and Meat both have 88 chapters because that's what they both are, bait! Neither of them are a choice, they're each just temptations designed to lure the characters into the web of a spider!

If Dirk is meant to be analogous to the Demiurge then clearly Aranea is meant to be Sophia, the Holy Spirit of wisdom who is outside of this material world yet shines her light through all of creation, amen.

Edit:

Elephant Parade posted:

Magic may be fake as poo poo, but here's the thing (puts on sunglasses) poo poo Just Got Real.

Better pose as a team bitches.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

it would certainly explain why the Sun is Light Symbol......... NO! I WILL NOT BE DRAWN IN!

but,,,,, aranea??

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Clawtopsy posted:

it would certainly explain why the Sun is Light Symbol......... NO! I WILL NOT BE DRAWN IN!

but,,,,, aranea??

Good, good, let the hope flow through you.

20 years from now when the epilogue to the epilogue is released thou shalt know my words are the the truth.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The epilogues have 83 chapters combined, 85 if you count the two post-scripts.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Android Blues posted:

The epilogues have 83 chapters combined, 85 if you count the two post-scripts.

Aaand how many chapters in the Prologue?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Plom Bar posted:

Aaand how many chapters in the Prologue?

Oh, good call.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

I forgot to count them too the first time. :p

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Good, good, let the hope flow through you.

20 years from now when the epilogue to the epilogue is released thou shalt know my words are the the truth.

not this poo poo again

i used to berate you for having hope u fool!

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Hope! Despair! Hope! Despair!

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

the epilogue epilogue will be okay

but what im really looking forward to is the epilogue intermission prologue epilogue

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

epilogue act six act 2

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The only thing I wish had happened and didn't was some Caliborn dialogue. I love to hate that little fucker and even just a short conversation before Alt-Calliope eats him would have ruled.

The Lobotomy Kid
Aug 27, 2011

and act like a nut.
I don't know if it's an homage or actual foreshadowing but characters having their consciousness uploaded into robot bodies is also what happens before the final boss of Earthbound.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Seems like a missed opportunity for Candy to lack any references to The Baby is You.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

The Lobotomy Kid posted:

I don't know if it's an homage or actual foreshadowing but characters having their consciousness uploaded into robot bodies is also what happens before the final boss of Earthbound.

I had this exact same line of thought, and I don't even particularly like earthbound that much, but that's just such a core theme and inspiration for Homestuck it's hard to not see this plot point as intentional.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

The Lobotomy Kid posted:

Ya I noticed

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I didn't and I've played Earthbound like four times. That's really neat!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I've got a lot of thoughts on John, but one part I've been thinking about (that may have already been talked to death here, I'm still working my way through the thread) - it's tough in Candy watching him struggle with existential anxiety about the realness of the world and his friends, because he's not entirely wrong.

I mean, he's wrong in a lot of ways. Most crucially he's wrong in the way that the narrative frames things early on using his perspective, that he's trapped in a Stepford universe, that his friends are brainwashed, that Roxy isn't really there and all that sort of stuff. His sense of the wrongness of the world is usually pretty superficial, interpreting the vagaries of his friends' lives and conflicts as being "off" due to some sinister external meddling or as a direct consequence of his actions.

He finally starts working on those issues when he and Roxy have their reconciliation conversation, which seems to hinge on the acceptance that the people in front of him, the decisions they make, and the feelings he has about them are real regardless of whether they're the True, cosmically essential incarnations of themselves. His son seems to be the crux of this, where he feels that if a canonical existence is one where he son doesn't exist, then he would rather live non-canonically. It's a nice bit of full-circle character development that the idea of fatherhood is what finally grounds John in the universe.

But the nameless dread he feels isn't wrong, because he really is in an offshoot timeline, he just doesn't really know what that means or why it exists. Plus, he has first-hand experience of what happens to those timelines, having retconned them out of existence himself in the past. We've seen the attitude Canon John's always had toward his duplicates, a sort of dismissive "yeah go do whatever you don't matter now" wave of his hand paired with a trickle of existential dread that their places could've easily been reversed.

In fact, if it weren't for Dead Calliope's intervention, something John couldn't know about or have predicted, the Candy universe would have been destroyed just like John expects. Dead Calliope makes clear that her duty to protect the innocent is the only thing keeping this bubble universe from being swallowed by the black hole or destroyed by Lord English. John's waiting for a cosmic shoe to drop and he has first-hand experience that it's going to happen, not to mention a mountain of survivor's guilt and basically Protagonist PTSD that he can't talk to anyone about or even articulate.

And what's worse is, certainly by some theories, Rose and Roxy may be (or may have been, before the choice) aware that they were putting John in a position to make such a timeline split for strategic reasons, without telling him why they were doing it or what would happen when he did. Admittedly, it seems like they couldn't tell him, but so much of his guilt is tied up in the feeling that it's his fault the universe split them off into the Candy timeline rather than something his friends needed him to do. I almost think his friends underestimated John's actual capacity for introspection and how many nameless fears he's been suppressing, if it turns out they really thought they could just leverage his protagonism as part of their plans without it having lasting consequences on him.

Dissociation and depersonalization are already real conditions here in a world that we can be reasonably sure isn't fracturing into doomed offshoots. In a world where you've seen it happen first hand to other versions of yourself, it'd be supremely rational for that fear to warp you and your worldview and life, doubly so when at least some of your fears are actually correct and only being offset by forces outside of your knowledge and understanding. Personally, watching John's tortuous journey through both timelines really did a lot to explore the nature of his character and the cumulative effect that being the protagonist has had on him, considering for how many years the joke was that John was the perfect protagonist because he was a blank slate who'd do whatever he's told.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Advent Beast: Prince of Hope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krzePKX4lSY&t=3s

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Just picked up the symbolism behind the inverted postscripts. Candy's postscript opens on Rosebot chomping a piece of candying and performing meaningless domestic tasks purely to maintain the sensation of being human, while Meat's postscript opens on Alt-Calliope consuming the last vestiges of her brother in order to gain the power she needs to go gently caress up Dirk. Both epilogues end with characters reaching out for what their side of the meat/candy dichotomy lacks.

I don't know how I didn't notice that both scenes open on shots of eating food.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
hot take: the epilogues were good. i had fun the whole time. it reminded me of why I enjoyed reading Homestuck back in the day. the writing and dialogue absolutely nailed the tone and characterization, props to the authors. Dirk and Jane are total assholes and great villains. i'm glad I read this. everyone in this thread shouting about contempt for the fanbase is being dumb and should take a chill pill.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

I really liked it partially because it played with themes of contempt for the fan base

this thread is uncharacteristically positive overall

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Yeah, I haven't really noticed "everyone in this thread shouting about contempt for the fanbase". If anything it's been generally positive.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

jalapeno_dude posted:

hot take: the epilogues were good. i had fun the whole time. it reminded me of why I enjoyed reading Homestuck back in the day. the writing and dialogue absolutely nailed the tone and characterization, props to the authors. Dirk and Jane are total assholes and great villains. i'm glad I read this. everyone in this thread shouting about contempt for the fanbase is being dumb and should take a chill pill.

Complaining about contempt for the fanbase was like ten pages ago, now we're all too busy pledging our allegiance to God Queen Aranea.

Try to keep up Grandpa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I don’t mean to sound like I’m generalizing “the entire homestuck fanbase” (by %s every fanbase has lovely people, and homestucks is larger only by dint of having a very large, largely fine fanbase to begin with). My only point is that a lot of the very uncomfortable Candy plot beats are very blatantly references to or carbon copies of some of the fan desires and theories from years past and they’re not delivered in a way that will make anyone come away saying “hey they delivered that long desired plot point, that was good and the characters involved are better for it”.

I’d be tempted to go find some of the old clown apologists I knew from back in the day to see their reactions to gamzee’s :airquote:redemption arc:airquote: but they probably migrated from tumblr to discord at some point and I can’t be assed