Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

the payoff amount seemed to overestimate compared to my remaining balance so I think I might get a check for like two dollars in the mail in a couple months or something

Totally worth it. Scan, email yourself, and then frame your payoff document. gently caress em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Way too humble-brag for the BWM thread, but I recently figured out where I've been missing putting tax-advantaged money away :(

Until the USA unfucks its healthcare system, you may be eligible for an HSA and since you're GOING to have medical costs, you might as well sock away tax-free money. You'll never lose it even if you leave your job. That's your money, it just has to be spent on a true medical cost (i.e. can't just withdraw and go gambling or whatever dumb thing you want).

My bank gives me 2.15% and you can put away up to $7000/family. My work puts in 5450 in quarterly deposits (a huge perk to work there) but I've just found out that I could've been putting in $1550 tax-free yearly. Thankfully, I realized my mistake on April 12 so I was able to snag 2018, but I feel really dumb because we actually drained the account this year (which for whatever reason starts on May 1st) and we pushed our son's (thankfully, minor) surgery back a couple weeks to get it out of the way for all medical costs for the year and get the next disbursement.

Side rant: This poo poo shouldn't be this hard. The insurance guy they sent over was knowledgeable but certainly didn't make me feel better about our system. He said we *must* read every letter that comes in and match it up with a bill. Motherfucker, what do we pay you for if not to make this poo poo easy on us? I saved my family $2000 last year just by calling and verifying every single bill.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

HSAs are even better than that. Once you turn 65, they become just like a Traditional IRA and you can withdraw to go gambling or whatever dumb thing you want. In addition to the tax-free withdrawals for qualified medical expenses.

Plus there is no timeliness requirement on reimbursements of those medical expenses, so you can put the money in the HSA, let it grow tax free for decades, then withdraw the money for every medical expense you had since the account inception tax-free (save your receipts). Google "HSA super IRA"

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

After paying off my private student loan late last year, I’ve paid $5500 to my federal student loans in the past 3 months!

Unfortunately I still have $69,800420 to go :v:

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Cacafuego posted:

After paying off my private student loan late last year, I’ve paid $5500 to my federal student loans in the past 3 months!

Unfortunately I still have $69,800420 to go :v:

Congratulations! That's awesome!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

SlapActionJackson posted:

HSAs are even better than that. Once you turn 65, they become just like a Traditional IRA and you can withdraw to go gambling or whatever dumb thing you want. In addition to the tax-free withdrawals for qualified medical expenses.

Plus there is no timeliness requirement on reimbursements of those medical expenses, so you can put the money in the HSA, let it grow tax free for decades, then withdraw the money for every medical expense you had since the account inception tax-free (save your receipts). Google "HSA super IRA"

I've been maxing out my HSA, but *knock on wood* I haven't had very many medical receipts to save, and I'm not sure how best to save a random $20 copay receipt for 30+ years.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

I've been maxing out my HSA, but *knock on wood* I haven't had very many medical receipts to save, and I'm not sure how best to save a random $20 copay receipt for 30+ years.
I've been meaning to put together a digital receipt system for myself for a while for things like tracking items for rental/homeowners insurance claims, medical expenses, etc. Even then, holding onto data for 30 years is not necessarily much easier.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
My wife got her promised $20k raise now that she's off her probationary period so now we're both maxing out our 401(k) contributions for 2019! Also we paid off the last of her grad school student loans. April was a good month.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Hell yes!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

overdesigned posted:

My wife got her promised $20k raise now that she's off her probationary period so now we're both maxing out our 401(k) contributions for 2019! Also we paid off the last of her grad school student loans. April was a good month.

Congratulations! That's so much in one month.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

Scan/snapshot the receipt and note the date, scanned filename, brief description, and amount in a spreadsheet. The spreadsheet is the summary you use to claim the money in 30 years and the receipt scans are just in case the IRS audits you.

Now you just have digital data you need to preserve for 30 years, so it can piggy back on whatever sane backup strategy you use for the rest of your data.

It's not a trivial problem to solve, but it's manageable.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

SlapActionJackson posted:

Scan/snapshot the receipt and note the date, scanned filename, brief description, and amount in a spreadsheet. The spreadsheet is the summary you use to claim the money in 30 years and the receipt scans are just in case the IRS audits you.

Now you just have digital data you need to preserve for 30 years, so it can piggy back on whatever sane backup strategy you use for the rest of your data.

It's not a trivial problem to solve, but it's manageable.

Google drive has a "scan" feature too on your phone which makes it really easy to scan flat things into small files. That plus a Google sheet should be everything you need.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

H110Hawk posted:

Google drive has a "scan" feature too on your phone which makes it really easy to scan flat things into small files. That plus a Google sheet should be everything you need.

Only on Android, sadly. It's one of the few things Google locks only to Androids.

I still scan things into Google Photos for posterity but they're not converted to text or searchable very well. It's a really nice system though, I can pretty much discard any important documents that I don't need the original of once I plop it into Photos.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I don’t make enough money yet

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Bonus Month Budget

Net pay after state and federal taxes, maximum 403(b) contributions for myself and spouse, insurance and other bennies and pre-tax childcare spending is going to be called 100%.

Expenses
Recurring Major Expenses

Student Loans: 13.2%
Car Payments: 8.7%
House PITI: 5.3%
Tuition and Childcare: 3.3%

Variable Monthly Expenses
Utilities and Household Maintenance: 1.6%

Quality of Life Expenses
Housekeeper: 5.1%
Groceries and Restaurants: 4.8%
Vehicle Operations: 1.8%
Entertainment and Communications: 1.9%
Self-Care, Consumables, Family and Children Activities: 4.8%

After Tax Savings
529 Accounts 3.5%
After Tax Retirement Savings: 45.9%

Hell of a month.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 30, 2019

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Nice job.

Have to laugh a little at your car payments taking more budget than your mortgage though.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

spwrozek posted:

Nice job.

Have to laugh a little at your car payments taking more budget than your mortgage though.

We have a real weakness for autos! Every time we've needed to change cars around I doggedly resolve that I'm going to get a used Mazda CX-5 or something reasonable and every time we end up with these gorgeous luxury SUVs.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

spwrozek posted:

Nice job.

To be fair EF has good taste in cars. Good expensive taste.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Something Offal posted:

To be fair EF has good taste in cars. Good expensive taste.

:homebrew: :homebrew: :homebrew:

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Broke six figures in my retirement accounts for the first time! Feels good man.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Nur_Neerg posted:

Broke six figures in my retirement accounts for the first time! Feels good man.

Fantastic work! I am officially jealous :)

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I recently received a 2% raise (got hired mid-last year and I'm at or near the top of my range and market value due to years of experience) and I put it to my 401k, which will max it out for the first time. My wife also bumped her 401k by 4% so she's now maxed out as well for the first time.

We're also saving to max IRA contributions this year, but I believe we'll have to backdoor it (also for the first time).

In addition to those savings, we're throwing ~$5,000/mo at my student loans, mortgage and her car, which will have everything paid off in less than 4 years when we'll be 43. Feels good, since I only was able to start saving about 5 years ago.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Cacafuego posted:

I recently received a 2% raise (got hired mid-last year and I'm at or near the top of my range and market value due to years of experience) and I put it to my 401k, which will max it out for the first time. My wife also bumped her 401k by 4% so she's now maxed out as well for the first time.

We're also saving to max IRA contributions this year, but I believe we'll have to backdoor it (also for the first time).

In addition to those savings, we're throwing ~$5,000/mo at my student loans, mortgage and her car, which will have everything paid off in less than 4 years when we'll be 43. Feels good, since I only was able to start saving about 5 years ago.

I'm jealous! I've never been able to max out a 401k, that's a big accomplishment.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
I saved almost a thousand dollars this pay period (i.e. every two weeks)!

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Love Stole the Day posted:

that's impressive! what are you going to do with it?

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Love Stole the Day posted:

That's awesome! Slick table too. Do you have a Google doc template?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Finally opened and fully funded a Roth IRA for 2019 and just realized I'm now saving more each year, between my own retirement accounts and employer contributions, than I was making annually at my first two jobs out of college. Feels good!

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

It’s been a full year since I’ve carried a balance on a credit card! Been reading a lot of BWM stuff on here this week and I’m still pretty BWM in a lot of ways but I’m making progress and it feels good. :)

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Still poor, saved a bit more in June than I did in May.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
My TSP/401(k) balance hit six figures this month! It's arbitrary since it won't be touched for decades but it feels good.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

overdesigned posted:

My TSP/401(k) balance hit six figures this month! It's arbitrary since it won't be touched for decades but it feels good.

Congrats! :toot:

still inching my own way to the six figgies club

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

The first hundred G is the hardest.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Well, I've just accepted a job offer that's:

1) a dream job
2) a 1.6x salary increase and a 2.1x total comp increase
3) in an awesome (though more expensive) city closer to family
4) bursting with awesome ancillary benefits that are going to save me a lot of money while I'm there

I'm moving back to NYC but I'll be saving more than three times as much as when I left it and earning more than double. Once I crunched the numbers, I had no qualms coming back. Here's to living AND saving in NYC! :cheers:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Yeah man. How did the negotiations turn out? Did you take it out get more stuff?

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

spwrozek posted:

Yeah man. How did the negotiations turn out? Did you take it out get more stuff?

I did an update to one of the later posts. Probably should've just double posted so people got the notification. tl;dr no movement, still competitive and I accepted.

Chaotic Flame posted:

Asked for an 8% bump in total comp and we have a call set for later today to discuss. Thanks for all the input goons! Hopefully I'll have something to enter into the spreadsheet soon. Is that still a thing?

UPDATE: no movement on the offer. It was literally their best offer for the role/level I'd be coming in, which I had a feeling was the case for a few reasons:

1) They came in above their own stated ranges (HQ is in California so they have to provide ranges if asked) for both base salary and equity
2) I had another offer on the table (which they knew)
3) I killed the interviews during the onsite
4) They're hiring really hard on this team for NYC and want people there ASAP

Regardless, I've officially accepted and now we're working through paperwork. So, nothing to add to the spreadsheet but good practice in negotiating for an offer that's already really good.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Sounds like you did really good. Congrats!

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Chaotic Flame posted:

Well, I've just accepted a job offer that's:

1) a dream job
2) a 1.6x salary increase and a 2.1x total comp increase
3) in an awesome (though more expensive) city closer to family
4) bursting with awesome ancillary benefits that are going to save me a lot of money while I'm there

I'm moving back to NYC but I'll be saving more than three times as much as when I left it and earning more than double. Once I crunched the numbers, I had no qualms coming back. Here's to living AND saving in NYC! :cheers:

Did you mean +60% pay (0.6x increase, or 160% of baseline), or did you mean +160% pay (1.6x increase, or 260% of baseline)? Either one is drat impressive, but precision of terminology is very important here and people say the wrong thing all the time.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

SpelledBackwards posted:

Did you mean +60% pay (0.6x increase, or 160% of baseline), or did you mean +160% pay (1.6x increase, or 260% of baseline)? Either one is drat impressive, but precision of terminology is very important here and people say the wrong thing all the time.

Fair. The former, 60% increase in pay, 110% increase in total comp.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Well, it's been a tough couple years (I almost went bankrupt at the start of 2018), but I finally paid off all my regular loans and have 3 months of living expenses saved in an emergency fund. :toot:

Got headhunted for and am doing an interview for a new role which will boost my salary by 20-60% and could lead to a much bigger growth over the next few years.

Finally, completed a freelance project which I have credit on and IP involved in and which may become a much bigger business opportunity within a year.

Just going to chill for a bit and figure out what to do with my newfound ability to invest in stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Purple Prince posted:

Well, it's been a tough couple years (I almost went bankrupt at the start of 2018), but I finally paid off all my regular loans and have 3 months of living expenses saved in an emergency fund. :toot:

Got headhunted for and am doing an interview for a new role which will boost my salary by 20-60% and could lead to a much bigger growth over the next few years.

Finally, completed a freelance project which I have credit on and IP involved in and which may become a much bigger business opportunity within a year.

Just going to chill for a bit and figure out what to do with my newfound ability to invest in stuff.

:toot: Congratulations. That's a huge turn around.