Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

How Rude posted:

what is the deal with bashing people who play ARAM, just let goons enjoy the casual whacky modes without being pedantic pieces of poo poo, please.

Hm, yes, shallow and pedantic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
all the wannabe pubstomper tears over ARAM bans itt sustain me

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Mindblast posted:

Idk if I would play this daily either.

Is this a thing people do? Intentionally buying/avoiding certain champs for rng manipulations? The people I play with literally have all the mans and despite their aram mainlining they definitely played regular league in the past. Dunno why they switched over.

there are people who make new accounts and only buy the op aram poo poo. they are scum bags and should be put to the sword

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!
The free rotation for ARAM has 3*14 champs nowadays.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

what's crazy is that isn't even a third of the champs in the game

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
ARAM is fine

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

aram is almost never more than 20 minutes and a lot of times i cant play a regular length game of summoners rift, so aram is like 75% of what i play

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
I’m probably going to get roasted for this but ARAM is the last fun mode left in this game.

I played an enormous amount of League from roughly 2009 - 2016.

Team builder was the last time the game was fun. Every time I’ve tried to come back from a hiatus I get auto filled into jungle, which has massively changed from the last time I played, and then get screamed at all game if people don’t outright afk at fountain.

Everyone in aram seems to be pretty chill and even when the game is lost at champ select no one is screaming racial slurs and everyone just does their best and laughs about it.

Summoner’s Rift I’m sure is fine if you never quit playing the game but if you ever took a break from it at any point between patch cycles
there’s basically no way to catch up and it’s extremely unfun to play when you immediately get autofilled into something as punishment for not playing in a while with people who are extremely mad you’re not playing perfectly.

I agree with Pog though that people with carefully crafted aram only accounts should be executed.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
not my fault every fun champ are the teamfighty dudes.

Seri
Sep 29, 2013
I've always had fun in ARAM. I tend to play it a lot when I want a quick game that's just constant fighting.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Aerox posted:

Team builder was the last time the game was fun. Every time I’ve tried to come back from a hiatus I get auto filled into jungle, which has massively changed from the last time I played, and then get screamed at all game if people don’t outright afk at fountain.

Just to nudge discussion away from endless circlejerks about the right way to have fun - Do we have any indication how healthy the various roles are? I never get auto filled, but I queue top and support in some combination, which I’m pretty sure are the two least popular roles...except it might be jungle now?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Why did they get rid of team builder? It was rad when you wanted to play a normal and wanted a specific role.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Invalid Validation posted:

Why did they get rid of team builder? It was rad when you wanted to play a normal and wanted a specific role.

I think the reason they gave was queue fragmentation. They should have just fully replaced Blind Pick with Team Builder imo.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://twitter.com/RiotRepertoir/status/1120518589235302401
Time to find all the complaints that riven and vayne aren't being nerfed.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Aerox posted:

I’m probably going to get roasted for this but ARAM is the last fun mode left in this game.

Everyone in aram seems to be pretty chill and even when the game is lost at champ select no one is screaming racial slurs and everyone just does their best and laughs about it.

Summoner’s Rift I’m sure is fine if you never quit playing the game but if you ever took a break from it at any point between patch cycles
there’s basically no way to catch up and it’s extremely unfun to play when you immediately get autofilled into something as punishment for not playing in a while with people who are extremely mad you’re not playing perfectly.

I agree with Pog though that people with carefully crafted aram only accounts should be executed.
i never keep up with poo poo and enjoy the game on the occasions i do play, but i see this as a valid complaint. people like that are why i refuse to play ranked, after all.

kirtar posted:

they need to loving buff zoe. this is honestly disgusting. i am going to puke.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

Aerox posted:

I'm just gonna say that a lot of this sounds like bias to justify why you don't play SR anymore than anything else. The "everyone spouts racial slurs and afks at fountain in SR" / "oh everyone is chill in mode X" is a crock. In all the years I've played I've found plenty of people getting irrationally mad about ARAM/urf/nexus blitz/mega wacky mode #2,736/dominion as I have SR. Especially in the random select modes where teammate gets a melee champ and the enemy gets a lux or nidalee or ezreal or some other pokey ranged thing and they're incapable of not dodging skillshots

The whole thing about "taking a break can't figure out game when I come back" I also don't really agree with either. Outside of the jungle, the other roles have been pretty static. Yeah, there's reworks and season updates, but it doesn't take a whole lot of time to just take a look a video update of a character, or a basic little guide how to path in the sixth jungle revamp to get back to speed. Or even ask in a thread, or in the discord, or try new champ/jungle in sandbox mode, or so on and so forth. The fundamental concepts of the game are still here after nearly ten years.

Many goons for some reason slam autofill but find themselves hating the fact they get role X or Y, I wonder why not narrow it down to a role you think you're good at or want to learn? Like if you have no loving clue about the jungle and you don't want to watch/ask/do anything to understand what has changed then why even risk the chance of being slotted in it?

I think one of the other truths here is it sounds like you don't play with friends. The public experience is definitely bad but this is true of the genre and multiplayer in general. Playing with people you know, or even I dare say goons, would probably make the experience more enjoyable if you're able to coordinate/call out and stuff. I wouldn't be playing the game at all if it wasn't for a bunch of cool folks I've met here.

And if you still have friends that play and you don't like the public discourse, why not check off the Mute All Chat button?

Servaetes fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 23, 2019

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

In the past two years of playing the game, I've had to report actionable poo poo maybe five times over hundreds and hundreds of games, and I'm not particularly high MMR. One of them was even in ARAM. In a competitive, anonymous environment like this, it's not surprising that people tend to accentuate the negative, but using it as an excuse for not playing SR is a post hoc justification at best. If there's a particular reason that you dislike it, that's fine, but fooling yourself and others with the excuse of SR's "toxicity" ain't helping anyone.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Having to Jungle feels like a punishment. If they want more people to play it they should make it not require reading a doctoral thesis just to pick up the basics.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Having to Jungle feels like a punishment. If they want more people to play it they should make it not require reading a doctoral thesis just to pick up the basics.

please, jungle mechanics are undergrad at best. hard roam is the only phd role

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Clear camps, gank lanes. Not exactly difficult.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

pog boyfriend posted:

please, jungle mechanics are undergrad at best. hard roam is the only phd role

you need at least an msw to deal with the fragile egos of your idiot solo laners

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions

njsykora posted:

Clear camps, gank lanes. Not exactly difficult.

Yeah stuff like good pathing, tracking their jungle and all that poo poo doesn't matter if you're just screwing around in norms

Just grab kayn, who needs pathing when you walk through walls

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Even pathing is basically do buff, do other camp (usually wolves or raptors), do scuttlecrab.

Daunte Vicknabb
Feb 22, 2005

You are already dead
Lol at all the people who have clearly never jungled above like silver Elo talking about how pathing and poo poo isn't by far the hardest thing to understand in the current game/last year or three. Knowing which buff to start is bad enough, and good luck convincing your toplaner to help you if you need the buff on their side. Enemy solos listened and warded pixel brushes and yours didn't? Enjoy feeling like you want to concede at five minutes when you have two deaths and are a level and a half behind.

The individual camps also have strategies for efficient clearing and on a lot of champs if you kill them poorly you basically can't even finish a full clear. Jungle is fun but hard as hell to play well before you even start talking about the actual ganking, objective control, macro play type stuff.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

kirtar posted:

it would be cool if riot acknowledged that riven exists because right now all of the degenerates that play her enjoy the state of the game and this cant be allowed to continue

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Firebert posted:

you need at least an msw to deal with the fragile egos of your idiot solo laners

this is the real issue. as I've posted about a few times, I like to go back and main jungle occasionally when I get a but tired of playing mid and top and it's always surprising how long it takes to get back to being good at it. it's definitely the most idiosyncratic role in the game.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Poor Alistair, when will they buff you?

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

what level of roam do you go for?

none: i stay in the lane and when my carry goes i go. we are a team, and we stick together, through thick and thin.
soft: i will wander out for a bit if the jungler shows up to help him out in the river and maybe gank mid but that is it.
medium: i leave whenever we are pushed up, sometimes i recall after a gank. the enemy mid laner knows who i am and fears me.
hard: i will go top sometimes. i might even recall and go straight mid, just to keep people guessing. (goku approved level)
supreme: i am not a bot laner

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Why are they buffing liss. Isn't she in a great spot atm?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Why are they buffing liss. Isn't she in a great spot atm?

She's in a good spot almost entirely due to her synergy with Aftershock. The current change on the PBE shifts most of its power into bonus armor/MR instead of a flat value, so they're pre-buffing her as a precaution.

Anidav posted:

Poor Alistair, when will they buff you?

Expect his power level to climb some after Morg gets a nerf.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 24, 2019

strong bird
May 12, 2009

pog boyfriend posted:

what level of roam do you go for?

none: i stay in the lane and when my carry goes i go. we are a team, and we stick together, through thick and thin.
soft: i will wander out for a bit if the jungler shows up to help him out in the river and maybe gank mid but that is it.
medium: i leave whenever we are pushed up, sometimes i recall after a gank. the enemy mid laner knows who i am and fears me.
hard: i will go top sometimes. i might even recall and go straight mid, just to keep people guessing. (goku approved level)
supreme: i am not a bot laner

whats the brain status of my adc

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

ive talked to some junglers, as well as top laners and supports, and all three roles are the most underappreciated, are totally worthless and impossible to play, are the hardest roles, and they all get yelled at the most at the same time while everyone else has it easy.

tough life

strong bird posted:

the burden of knowledge is awesome if you never learned poo poo in the first place except for right clicking

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

strong bird posted:

obv there is some variance, but in general what is your preferred level of roam to be in. some supports are most comfortable with not roaming, some prefer to go medium, etc.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Leona is a high level roamer by nature, after level 6 you can just keep some wards around buffs and stunlock the enemy jungle and encourage mid to go on dunking adventures with you.

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

quote:

ARAM only accounts,

these don't exist, FWIW. Or, I should say exist in such an insanely small number that they disappear into the random noise of ARAM champ select.

source: my data science bud who sits next to me who literally looked at this issue

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
hey nerds I haven't played this game in years and I wanted to know if there's a "returning players" feature or something that might get a goon some loot before I log back in

i think the last champ they released when i stopped playing was that one girl that threw rocks at people and her ult made a wall? I don't loving remember this game I just hope my boy Swain is good

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
I don't think there is, unless some helpful fellow has put one up you can find on google or something.

In short: influence is gone, replaced by blue essence. Get this when you level up (no cap on summoner level now). Dust champ shards for it too

No masteries, replaced by the rune system. Just experiment a bit and/or look up configurations on lolaytics or whatever. You don't need to be level 30 to have a full rune tree but you can only select pre set trees until ummmm I wanna say level 20 but idk

Several champions have been majorly reworked to the point they might as well be new. This includes your boy swain. He's still good.

Idk what else apart from the standard stuff like items changing, new champs etc which always changes.

Oh, there's a practice mode where you can give yourself infinite gold, set your level to whatever, spawn target dummies etc to practice pushing buttons in the right order

E: I forgot turret plating which is relatively new. Outer turrets have their health divided into 5 plates - knocking a plate off gives bonus gold to whoever is near, but will also boost the turrets armour for a bit

el dingo fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Apr 24, 2019

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
ACSHUALLY there is something for returning players. If you haven't played since runes or keystones or whatever they're called were introduced, you should get a chunk of blue essence relative to how many runes you bought back in the day

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Some games have a thing where you can "recruit" lapsed players and if they start playing again you get a bonus as if you got a new player signed up on your code, but I guess league doesn't have that.

I should probably see all the champs they've reworked, poo poo looks a LOT different now. I was about to ask if they ever fixed Mordekaiser's trillion bugs but it looks like he's changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Yeah I misread your question and typed a bunch of words that didn't need to be there. Oh well I'm on the company dime atm so whatever