Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Not really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Retro Futurist posted:

The buzz about the movie makes me realize I don’t know anything about The Eternals, are there are good stories with them? I seem to remember a MAX run back in the day that I’d swear I read but couldn’t tell you a single thing about.

I liked the Neil Gaiman mini.

I think they all got killed off panel in Aaron's Avengers.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Retro Futurist posted:

The buzz about the movie makes me realize I don’t know anything about The Eternals, are there are good stories with them? I seem to remember a MAX run back in the day that I’d swear I read but couldn’t tell you a single thing about.

You're thinking of the Neil Gaiman miniseries which is boringly acceptable for a book that should have been in his wheelhouse. Also, surprisingly heavy into continuity.

The only other major Eternals stuff is the original Jack Kirby series which was when he was winding down his career and basically reworking some New Gods ideas that were leftover. The Eternals was one of the series where Lee said openly, "Jack gets to do whatever he wants," so there's no filter on it. The result is weak Kirby with some cool imagery and that's it.

There was a maxiseries in the mid-80's that I've never read and only remembered existed as I was writing this post, so that says something about how well its regarded. There was a big Thor storyline that wrapped up most of the plots the Kirby series that ran for about ten issues from 290 to 300; it is not good.

And then past that, it's mainly appearances of Eternals or Celestials on their own. There have been multiple Eternals that were members of the Avengers, though I can't think of any storylines about Eternals there. One of the major Eternals was in the supporting cast of Quasar because Mark Gruenwald liked nothing better than weird, obscure characters. There was a Simonson Fantastic Four storyline that was good about the Dreaming Celestial who is at the center of a lot of these stories.

Basically, don't bother trying to read anything about the Eternals unless you're really into digging up this stuff. If you're looking for a good time, you won't find it here.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

That's kind of the problem with the property in general. There's no real standout story other than "some of them don't remember who they are, one of them has to make them remember to restore status quo". But there's no infinity gauntlet or civil war level story about them that has to be told.

Edit-woop thought this was movie thread sorry

Scaramouche fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 28, 2019

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Hey, of the old Marvel Adventures all-ages books, do any of them have an actual reading order, or can one jump in at any point? I’m looking for good action books for readers around twelve, but a lot of those are out of print and thus expensive, and only a few are the level of dirt cheap that I need.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

hup posted:

Hey, of the old Marvel Adventures all-ages books, do any of them have an actual reading order, or can one jump in at any point? I’m looking for good action books for readers around twelve, but a lot of those are out of print and thus expensive, and only a few are the level of dirt cheap that I need.

I think it's almost entirely episodic, with maybe the barest of call backs, so you can read them in whatever order. If you're interested in Spider-Man figure out when they started telling new stories instead of re-hashing old ones, those are a lot more fun.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

hup posted:

Spider-Man is best read in issue order as after a few issues of retold stories it basically is its own universe of stories. It's real good. The other Marvel Adventures not so much. I mean, they're good too but there's no real need to read in order.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Hello friends, i haven't kept up with marvel in about two years. anything in particular i should catch up with? i'm looking at hawkeye, daredevil, ahmed's black bolt, tnc's black panther, aaron's thor and x-men red right now

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gwenpool and anything Chip Zdarsky has written (Howard the Duck, Marvel Two-In-One, Spectacular Spider-Man).

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

X-Men Red.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Can't read X-Men red without reading all new wolverine first

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Nick Spencer's Amazing Spider-Man run is pretty fantastic.

Also Immortal Hulk is awesome.

Spider-Gwen: Ghost Spider is pretty good even if it sort of gets tied up in Spider-Verse 3: It's Spider-Verse yet again in the first arc.

Mr. & Mrs. X is also great.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

site posted:

Can't read X-Men red without reading all new wolverine first

While there's no reason not to read All New Wolverine, it's an excellent book, it isn't necessary to understand what's going on in X-Men Red.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Skwirl posted:

While there's no reason not to read All New Wolverine, it's an excellent book, it isn't necessary to understand what's going on in X-Men Red.

I hate Wolverine and Xbooks in general and All New Wolverine was pretty good.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Immortal Hulk is on sale at Comixology right now!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Skwirl posted:

The only reason to read red is the continuation of Gabby's story, which you only get from anw

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
So the last "event" I read was secret war, after being absolutely captivated by house of M.

I'm currently working my way through Avengers Disassembled on Marvel Unlimited and the guides I found on comicbookherald have me reading like... Every series from 2004 til now. Are there any stretches or events I should skip?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I don't think anything was really great till Hickman's Infinity and Secret Wars. You'll have to read his ongoing Avengers and New Avengers while you're at it, not just the event miniseries'.

edit: I did enjoy some of Bendis' run with the start of his first New Avengers and the Dark Reign stuff, and Secret Warriors is fantastic (incidentally, Hickman's start at Marvel) so it's not gonna be the absolute worst time, but I'd definitely skip out after Siege. Don't read AvX, Age of Ultron or Civil War 2, avoid Rick Remender after Uncanny X-Force, especially his Axis event (but definitely do read UXF.)
Or just skip all of it and jump to Hickman.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 15, 2019

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I've discussed my love for 2004-2010 Marvel before, but it's a lot of reading:

Bendis' New Avengers is the flagship book during this era. It takes you through all the major events: House of M (Bendis), Civil War (Millar), Secret Invasion (Bendis), and Siege (Bendis).

Brubaker's excellent Captain America run also started in 2004, and a major status quo change in Captain America #25 happens at the same time as the end of Millar's Civil War.

After Civil War, Warren Ellis' short but excellent Thunderbolts run starts, and that becomes extremely relevant at the end of the next big event, Secret Invasion. Also, Bendis starts writing a second Avengers book, Mighty Avengers, with the pro-registration heroes, who all tend to be more powerful than the street-level, anti-registration team in New Avengers. For what it's worth, I never liked Mighty Avengers at all, aside from some pretty Frank Cho art.

Matt Fraction's Invincible Iron Man run starts around this time too, peaking with the "World's Most Wanted" story arc following Secret Invasion. And as someone else said, this is when Jonathan Hickman's Secret Warriors also begins, with Bendis as the co-writer at the beginning.

This all kicks off the next era called Dark Reign, with Bendis' third Avengers title, Dark Avengers, picking up where Ellis' Thunderbolts left off, with the same artist, Mike Deodato Jr. The New Avengers team remains the underdogs, which is how they work best.

And this all leads into Siege, which wasn't the best event, and it all seemed anticlimactic after all this fun buildup. But what followed was a new era that was supposed to seem a little lighter and more hopeful, The Heroic Age, with New, Mighty, and Dark Avengers ending and the characters being split off into two new titles written by Bendis, Avengers and New Avengers. This era lasted for about two years, but nothing ever matched the highest highs of the previous era.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 15, 2019

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

New Avengers, Dark Avengers, and Mighty Avengers by Bendis are all really good. Definitely skip out on AvX, though. It's really bad.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Tell me about the The Brat Pack, the Maximortal and The One. Comic Tropes made them sound real interesting but comparing Brat Pack to The Boys concerned me a little.

I can handle cynicism, well done, just not interested in Ennis and Ellis level contempt

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 24, 2019

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
If you don't like The Boys you're not gonna like Brat Pack. It's in the same super cynical vein.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, Rick Veitch was Garth Ennis before there was Garth Ennis.

I remember The One as being 80s as all hell. I think it'd seem incredibly dated today.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I enjoyed the Marvel movies and I wanna see more, and I live in the age of the internet and not the age of creepy stores of my youth. My fave superhero movies are Winter Soldier, Thor Ragnarok and Spiderverse.

Out of the comics I've read:

I like Squirrel Girl because it's really hopeful and fun, Saga for the interesting plot, and I think the other ones I remember are the Loki series where he turns into a unicorn? (And Lucifer by Neil Gaiman and Hellboy with the cool gothic horror art). My favorite sorts of narratives in general are rivals/buddy cop or villain-turned-hero adventures, generally with happy endings. I don't like women in fridges, lots of bikini outfits and paper-thin characterisation over a bunch of punchy punch. I really don't want to be following 1500 issues of different series to make sense of a singular narrative unless it's really cool.

Any recommendations?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

coolusername posted:

I enjoyed the Marvel movies and I wanna see more, and I live in the age of the internet and not the age of creepy stores of my youth. My fave superhero movies are Winter Soldier, Thor Ragnarok and Spiderverse.

Out of the comics I've read:

I like Squirrel Girl because it's really hopeful and fun, Saga for the interesting plot, and I think the other ones I remember are the Loki series where he turns into a unicorn? (And Lucifer by Neil Gaiman and Hellboy with the cool gothic horror art). My favorite sorts of narratives in general are rivals/buddy cop or villain-turned-hero adventures, generally with happy endings. I don't like women in fridges, lots of bikini outfits and paper-thin characterisation over a bunch of punchy punch. I really don't want to be following 1500 issues of different series to make sense of a singular narrative unless it's really cool.

Any recommendations?

Howard the Duck by Chip Zdarsky, Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, Sex Criminals, Sandman by Neil Gaiman assuming that's not what you meant by Lucifer by Neil Gaiman.

If you want to see the preamble to Loki turning into a unicorn, it's a really great comic but not always hopeful and involves a lot of crossovers. here's a reading guide everything marked optional is absolutely optional, when I read it the first time I didn't read that stuff and followed the story fine, if you're buying trades I think you can just buy Journey Into Mystery by Kieron Gillen, and then Young Avengers by Kieron Gillen.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

If you like Winter Soldier, you should read Ed Brubaker's run on Captain America, which you can find a reading order for here among other places. Brubaker brings a dark spy thriller edge to Cap that still manages to stay true to the core of the character.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Jason Aaron's Thor run, but someone will have to get you a reading order.

Or Walt Simonson's Thor.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now
I just watched Edge of Tomorrow and Oblivion, and I'm in the mood for something sci-fi. Preferably something harder and less space opera-y.

Already tried Saga and it didn't hold my interest. Manga is fine, too.

Semi-related: is there a particularly good era for Green Lantern?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

just another posted:

I just watched Edge of Tomorrow and Oblivion, and I'm in the mood for something sci-fi. Preferably something harder and less space opera-y.
Outpost Zero is currently ongoing and might be up your alley.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

just another posted:

I just watched Edge of Tomorrow and Oblivion, and I'm in the mood for something sci-fi.

Well have I got the-

quote:

Preferably something harder and less space opera-y.

Never mind...

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
How are American Flagg and Avengers 1959?

Gavok, is this good? You're Mr.What If...

https://www.amazon.ca/What-If-Classic-Complete-Collection/dp/1302916114/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=what+if&qid=1556490294&s=gateway&sr=8-7

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 28, 2019

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Planetes is essentially about space garbagemen. There's no evil empire or dystopia or alien invasion, just the stories of some people doing their job up there.

I don't know how much Qualia the Purple would fit into your bill because it (mis)uses quantum physics to extrapolate into some crazy digressions.

They're both pretty short so you don't have much to lose.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

How are American Flagg and Avengers 1959?

At least the first dozen or so issues of American Flagg are outstanding. Unfortunately that's all I've read, but that's all that has been collected into TPBs or hardcovers, as far as I know. Howard Chaykin has become a controversial, cantankerous, curmudegonly figure in comics, and his art certainly isn't as good as it was during his '80s peak, but Flagg showcases a master writer-artist at the top of his game. It may appear slightly dated, but that's only because it was so influential to so many creators afterwards. I've met the guy twice, read all his interviews, listen to all his podcast appearances, and he is one of my favorite figures in comics.

I also loved American Century, which he co-wrote with David Tischman, but he didn't draw that one. Chaykin and Tischman also co-wrote Green Lantern: Evil's Might, a super-fun Elseworlds series set in New York's Irish-American community in 1888. Think of Green Lantern meets Gangs of New York.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 28, 2019

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah a lot of American Flagg feels "too easy" on the satire because everything it's satirizing is already there. Then you go look up the publication dates... :stare:

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Scaramouche posted:

Yeah a lot of American Flagg feels "too easy" on the satire because everything it's satirizing is already there. Then you go look up the publication dates... :stare:

It's true, so much of the ridiculous satire has come to pass. Chaykin was so ahead of his time!

And even from an art standpoint, his character and costume/clothing design, his layouts, everything was streets ahead of what his contemporaries were drawing in the mid-to-late '80s.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Samuringa posted:

I don't know how much Qualia the Purple would fit into your bill because it (mis)uses quantum physics to extrapolate into some crazy digressions.

Is there any sci fi that doesn't misuse quantum physics?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

lifg posted:

War of the Worlds and The Time Machine predate quantum theory, so that's two. :v:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

lifg posted:

The play and movie Copenhagen are fiction about science rather than sci-fi but they do a good job with the science (slightly less with the history though).

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

just another posted:

Fear Agent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

just another posted:

I enjoyed the 1990s Green Lantern (aka the "Gray-Haired Hal" era), but these days I'd rather not recommend anything by Gerard Jones.