Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rarity posted:

Hasan Minhaj did an episode of Patriot Act about them, check it out

How about a TL;DR so we don't have to listen to it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Iron Crowned posted:

How about a TL;DR so we don't have to listen to it?

artificial scarcity and the sort of wink-and-nod about the absurdity of low effort branded commodities idiots find clever, except they made a billion dollar brand out of it.
they also actively encouraged the sort of weird secondary markets you see developing among sneakerheads. they only sell their stuff in their stores, and the more rare stuff is sold in pop ups instead of their normal 3-5 locations

think of weezer writing a ton of hollow top 40 songs about how hollow top 40 songs are, but in clothing brand form

Coolness Averted has issued a correction as of 20:23 on Apr 23, 2019

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
ah so its the sneakers of clothing; got it

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
all the cool teens just buy fakes from China through /r/fashionreps anyways. like I’m not even joking they’re a massive community and are regularly posting larger and larger “hauls” of fake designer clothing

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Weezer isn't cool enough in this analogy

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on

Len posted:

Meanwhile once you're a full hire you can get away with just straight up not doing your job and it's fine.

It's crazy how many jobs this seems to apply to. I've temped a lot and had a few other jobs and this always seems to be the case for people above entry level.

People are constantly late too, and miss deadlines all the time. So it just solidifies the notion that merit has dick all to do with anything in most settings.

But alas, the same people who told me my whole life that "it's about who you know, not what you know" are the same ones now who defend capitalism/billionaires and spit on the working poor.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

all the cool teens just buy fakes from China through /r/fashionreps anyways. like I’m not even joking they’re a massive community and are regularly posting larger and larger “hauls” of fake designer clothing

The fakes are cooler. I have one that says “Fresh” with paint dripping down the shirt. It only cost me $10.

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

Grimdude posted:

"it's about who you know, not what you know"

I hate when people tell me this. They always say it with this smug look on their face like they figured out some ancient wisdom that only their genius brain could unlock. You're basically just saying "Nepotism is more valuable than an education, heh :smug:"

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

I used to work a job with a lot of temps on an industrial site. Maybe like 40% of the workforce. Some had been there years.

One year, during a slow period with not much work, the company laid off all the temps to save money. When the work picked up, the temp agency was like "what no we can't find like 100 people in a week, all the old temps you had have found other jobs now." Management was shocked. Company missed deadlines, lost huge amounts of money.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Moridin920 posted:

Let every dirty, lousy tramp arm himself with a revolver or a knife, and lay in wait on the steps of the palaces of the rich and stab or shoot the owners as they come out.

:yeah:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Grimdude posted:

It's crazy how many jobs this seems to apply to. I've temped a lot and had a few other jobs and this always seems to be the case for people above entry level.

People are constantly late too, and miss deadlines all the time. So it just solidifies the notion that merit has dick all to do with anything in most settings.

But alas, the same people who told me my whole life that "it's about who you know, not what you know" are the same ones now who defend capitalism/billionaires and spit on the working poor.

Attendance is basically the only thing that will get you where I am. We have a firm No Fault Point system and at 10 points you're fired. Although they did lighten it up recently and now as long as you're less than 6 minutes late it's only a quarter point.

I found out recently that when you call off you can burn a vacation day to still get paid. It's still a point but at least you get paid. Note: that is nowhere in the handbook and apparently is management discretion and the old boss would deny it a lot I hear.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I like how they call it a "No Fault Point System" as if to say it is fair and unbiased but in reality that just means "mitigating circumstances literally do not exist it is always 100% your fault no matter what."

quote:

A No-Fault Point System is one example of an effective attendance policy. The goal of this system is to reward good attendance and eliminate the employment of people with poor attendance records. Because it uses a point system and does not excuse absences it leaves managers and supervisors out of the role of judge and jury.

Oh so, it excuses them from having to do their loving jobs?

quote:

It is an objective system that places accountability and responsibility for attendance on the shoulder of the employee which is where it ought to be.

lol that's not what objective means

Objective is not "make a decision beforehand regardless of facts or evidence." This is literally some Cardassian poo poo lol.

So what if someone slams into your car and it is totaled and you need to use the shithouse public transit to get to work for a few weeks and you're late every other day because of aforementioned shithouse transit but you can't afford to Uber/taxi or rent a car? Your fault! Does it matter that you're an otherwise great and productive employee? No! Objective!!

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 22:04 on Apr 23, 2019

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Accretionist posted:

My two point plan to fix everything:
Money never makes you homeless.

Mental health never makes you homeless.

lol my state dems did the opposite of this and then got surprised when they lost support and elections

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Moridin920 posted:

I like how they call it a "No Fault Point System" as if to say it is fair and unbiased but in reality that just means "mitigating circumstances literally do not exist it is always 100% your fault no matter what."

Oh so, it excuses them from having to do their loving jobs?

lol that's not what objective means

Objective is not "make a decision beforehand regardless of facts or evidence." This is literally some Cardassian poo poo lol.

So what if someone slams into your car and it is totaled and you need to use the shithouse public transit to get to work for a few weeks and you're late every other day because of aforementioned shithouse transit but you can't afford to Uber/taxi or rent a car? Your fault! Does it matter that you're an otherwise great and productive employee? No! Objective!!

The new manager hasn't been fully broken by them yet and when there was ridiculous snow one morning out of nowhere he excused my 1/2 point for being 8 minutes late. It was a weird feeling.

Vs the previous boss who called me in a panic one morning asking where I was and why didn't I call and let her know I was gonna be late and blah blah blah. I didn't feel it was necessary to call and say traffic was backed up because it wouldn't have changed anything.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Look at this absolute propaganda

Year 1 data only has 1 data point and it is "France, $1050 GDP per capita."

Yeah motherfuckers? You know what the GDP per capita in the Roman province of Gaul was????

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 23:58 on Apr 23, 2019

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/MrSeanGerber/status/1120552239771410433

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
22 movies goddamn

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Don't they have like two more "phases" or whatever the gently caress?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

They are going into perpetuity. Probably with some soft reboots.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

As long as they make money, they will make the movies

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Turns out the key to getting a permanent position and raise right after hire is to be friends with managers and HR. Anyone else looking for job security and basic poo poo like updated paperwork and relevant training and professional qualifications is an Oliver Twistesque annoyance. The system works (just not for you).

Wait why do our employees keep leaving as soon as they have options?! So disloyal! Total lack of commitment!

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Outrail posted:

Turns out the key to getting a permanent position and raise right after hire is to be friends with managers and HR. Anyone else looking for job security and basic poo poo like updated paperwork and relevant training and professional qualifications is an Oliver Twistesque annoyance. The system works (just not for you).

Wait why do our employees keep leaving as soon as they have options?! So disloyal! Total lack of commitment!

it’s a self fulfilling prophecy. if we give the new people support/respect they’ll just leave and we’ll have wasted our money. *new hire constantly under stress of trying to perform without support, leaves for a potentially better job* SEE, WE DID NOTHING AND THEY STILL LEFT! imagine how dumb we’d feel if we had prepared them for their job!

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Moridin920 posted:

Look at this absolute propaganda

Year 1 data only has 1 data point and it is "France, $1050 GDP per capita."

Yeah motherfuckers? You know what the GDP per capita in the Roman province of Gaul was????

what is this a graph from Steven “race science” Pinker?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Plot stuff like "marxism invented" on there and see how mad people get

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

hmm... :thunk:

and like 8 people own most of the wealth so lol anyway

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Shame Boy posted:

Plot stuff like "marxism invented" on there and see how mad people get

here ya go

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

:eyepop:

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

lmao

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/apr/24/its-not-play-if-youre-making-money-how-instagram-and-youtube-disrupted-child-labor-laws

quote:

Some parents of influencers point out that the kids are having fun – or are barely conscious of what they are doing.

quote:

Bee Fisher, the mother of three Instagram-famous boys, told Wired, “If there’re days they’re totally not into it, they don’t have to be … Unless it’s paid work. Then they have to be there. We always have lollipops on those days.”

quote:

Earlier this month, the couple published a video showing Everleigh in distress. “You haven’t even told the vlog yet, do you want to tell the vlog?” Cole LaBrant prompted the child, as she cried and hid her face under a blanket in the opening moments of the video. The tears were the result of the LaBrants telling Everleigh they were going to give her dog away but they didn’t mean it; the dog giveaway was an April Fool’s Day prank gone too far. Following a backlash, the couple published a video addressing “all the hate we’ve received”, acknowledged the prank video was a “mistake” and removed it.

“We know it’s something that we could have not put out on YouTube, but we film our whole lives,” Savannah LaBrant said. “That’s what we signed up for.”

quote:

The LaBrants did not respond to questions about whether they pay Everleigh a percentage of their YouTube revenues or have a savings account for her.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

enslaving my children to the content mines

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
What kind of piece of poo poo do you have to be to even think of playing that giving your dog away "prank" on your child.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Hey buddy they signed up to put their whole lives on youtube. What are they supposed to do, NOT film themselves traumatising their child so they can post it online for a share of advertising money?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Lambert posted:

What kind of piece of poo poo do you have to be to even think of playing that giving your dog away "prank" on your child.

Thier was a family that had thier kids taken away cause they kept pranking them. Pranks like scaring the poo poo out of them or throwing stuff at them. YouTube parents are goddamned insane

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Also incredibly stupid, like imagine you're doing things that are obviously abuse and yet think it's a good idea to catalog literally every abusive act on a public website

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

At least the guy who convinced his girlfriend to shoot him was able to consent.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Strom Cuzewon posted:

At least the guy who convinced his girlfriend to shoot him was able to consent.

like 5 years ago I asked a woman to kill me. She said no.

It's a failure I've had to live with since that date.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

N. Senada posted:

it’s a self fulfilling prophecy. if we give the new people support/respect they’ll just leave and we’ll have wasted our money. *new hire constantly under stress of trying to perform without support, leaves for a potentially better job* SEE, WE DID NOTHING AND THEY STILL LEFT! imagine how dumb we’d feel if we had prepared them for their job!

The best bit is when a manager pretty much acknowledged that. 'Yeah people keep leaving because the competition offers them more stuff like 40% more money and amazing benefits and profit sharing but management won't change'. But also whines about a lack of commitment from employees in the same conversation I was asking for something, literally anything, to prove they actually wanted to keep me around like they said they did and weren't just going to use me for the curtent project and dump my rear end. If I leave they'll act upset and betrayed.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Former DILF posted:

like 5 years ago I asked a woman to kill me. She said no.

It's a failure I've had to live with since that date.

That's one hell of a first date, though, I've got to say.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Taintrunner posted:

enslaving my children to the content mines

they better produce sufficient value

https://twitter.com/stephemcneal/status/1064566495156539400

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe