Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Poil posted:

Libertarians.

Random idiots who think "the market" will make everything better and cheaper.

E: what a horrible snipe. Here, have @socialdemokrat, S official Twitter being extremely normal:

Potrzebie fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Shouting out Hanif Bali, huh?

https://twitter.com/emanuelkarlsten/status/1117644855625363456?s=21

Nice people he's adjacent to

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Katt posted:

The point is that France as a whole. Tens of millions of people became voluntary and useful tools in the nazi machine because the nazis planted a flag in Paris. Repression and denunciation on a massive scale made possible with the support of not-literaly-nazis.

Things flip from

To what we got on a dime. Because an overwhelming majority of people will accept severe repression of "others" as long as they themselves get to enjoy relative normality.

Yeah but the Nazis weren't known for their evil deeds at this point afaik. They were just another power hungry country. It wasn't until after the war that their mind boggling cruelty and evil became apparent to all of europe

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Zzulu posted:

Yeah but the Nazis weren't known for their evil deeds at this point afaik. They were just another power hungry country. It wasn't until after the war that their mind boggling cruelty and evil became apparent to all of europe

Their evil was more than known by the 1936 Olympics. Not the true extent but certainly the nature of it. Furthermore the holocaust itself was well known within Germany itself. A fact that Western Germany spent enormous effort to hide afterwards.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Here's something to debate and discuss:

Högsta Domstolen posted:

Det är inte straffbart att i ett polisförhör ge falskt alibi åt en person som har dömts för ett brott

En kvinna åtalades för skyddande av brottsling. Hon hade vid polisförhör lämnat uppgifter i syfte att ge alibi åt en person som hade dömts för medhjälp till mord. Tingsrätten och hovrätten ansåg att det inte var straffbart att lämna uppgifterna och frikände kvinnan. Högsta domstolen gör samma bedömning.

Ett vittne, som efter att ha avlagt ed, lämnar falska uppgifter vid en rättegång kan dömas för mened. Brottet är inte fullbordat förrän förhöret har avslutats. Försök till mened är inte straffbart.

Den som hörs av polis avlägger inte ed och kan därför inte straffas för mened. Det finns inte heller någon bestämmelse som generellt straffbelägger osanna uppgifter som lämnas vid polisförhör. Det är dock i vissa fall möjligt att hålla vittnesförhör under ed vid domstol redan under förundersökningen.

Det kan i vissa särskilt angivna situationer vara straffbart att lämna falska uppgifter till polisen. En sådan situation är att man påstår att en oskyldig person har gjort sig skyldig till brott (falsk tillvitelse).

Dessutom kan man dömas för skyddande av brottsling om man lämnar falska uppgifter till polisen som innebär att den som har begått ett brott kommer undan. Detta kan bestå i att polisen leds på villospår när den letar efter en brottsling, t.ex. genom att man uppger sig ha sett brottslingen på en annan ort än där han eller hon befinner sig. Däremot omfattar straffansvaret inte att lämna falska uppgifter som endast kan påverka bevisläget, t.ex. att ge någon ett falskt alibi.

I det aktuella fallet hade de uppgifter som kvinnan lämnat till polisen endast kunnat påverka bevisläget. Straffansvar för sådana uppgifter förutsätter att de har lämnats under ed. Det åklagaren påstod att kvinnan hade gjort var alltså inte brottsligt.

There's a bunch of the usual tough-on-crime crowd popping up saying this is a loophole in the law that must be patched up immediately, but I'm not so sure what to think myself. I know we have a local fish lawyer - what's your take on this?

e: to give a brief summary in English:
A woman went to the police and attempted to provide an alibi for someone who had been sentenced for being an accomplice in a homicide. It was established in short order that she was lying, and so she was charged with sheltering a criminal, but was acquitted in the district court, the court of appeals, and now finally in the supreme court. The supreme court reasons as follows:

A witness who lies under oath at a trial can be charged with oathbreaking (okay, fine, perjury is the appropriate English term). Planning to or preparing for perjury is not punishable by law. Someone who is being interrogated by the police is however not usually under oath (although it is possible to use the witness oath outside of a trial), and therefore cannot be charged with perjury. There is in fact no law that prohibits lying to the police in general - only a few specific cases.

The first one is knowingly accusing an innocent person of committing a crime, which can get you charged for false accusation.
The second one is sheltering a criminal, which is defined as knowingly giving the police false information that contributes to a criminal being able to avoid arrest - for example, saying that you've seen a suspect at large in one place while you know they were actually someone else. However, once they're arrested that's where it stops being criminal. If you lie to the police after the suspect is in custody, it's not a crime unless done under oath.

Since the woman was not under oath in this case, she was acquitted. The court was unanimous.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 17, 2019

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
To me it reads like the usual "if it's useless and dumb enough it's not even illegal".

E: oh, it's just lying while not under oath. Ok, trying to make a case out of that seems really dumb and wasteful.

Potrzebie fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 17, 2019

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I don't really see the problem tbh.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Usually they look at "How many cases per year would this affect" and it it's like 1 every 3-5 years then they don't bother. This is of course in contrast to reactionaries who want to legislate on principle.

An example is the Swedish law against bestiality which the police said would cover no cases that wasn't already covered under animal abuse to which the response was "you defend animal loving!" and they made it a law.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Yeah, unsurprisingly I had pretty much the same gut reaction as y'all did. Thinking about it, it also seems to me like a law against lying to the police in general would have a lot of potential for abuse. I don't really see how it would help, either.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

TheFluff posted:

Yeah, unsurprisingly I had pretty much the same gut reaction as y'all did. Thinking about it, it also seems to me like a law against lying to the police in general would have a lot of potential for abuse. I don't really see how it would help, either.

I think it just comes from a misunderstanding of how a court negotiation works. If a witness is being combative and is lying to the police behalf of the subject, the prosecutor simply won't call them in as a witness. And if the defense for whatever reason gets other ideas about the same witness, perjury is a thing in court. There's really no need for a law here.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Zzulu posted:

Hitler literally wrote a book about how he wanted to conquer eastern Europe and genocide or enslave the inhabitants.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
oh boy here we go again, skåne is on fire
and there's no rain in sight, of course. this might be a very long summer. MSB recently closed a deal on more fire helicopters, but I'm not sure how many.

e: 31 helicopters, apparently, but only 26 of them are for actually putting out fires.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Apr 24, 2019

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

P1 had a segment just last week about how bad the ground-water situation actually still is in most of southern Sweden. The top-soil might have appeared to have recovered but if you go only a little bit down it is still as dry as at the end of last summer.

Getting summer in April is in this context, uh, bad.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Speaking of MSB, do they still have the important civil defense task of securing access to the strategic resource called toilet paper? I'm asking because I saw this in my local grocery store this morning:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Last summer was the worst one in my entire life, just the though of another one like it is making me somewhat distressed.

TheFluff posted:

Speaking of MSB, do they still have the important civil defense task of securing access to the strategic resource called toilet paper? I'm asking because I saw this in my local grocery store this morning:

Ouch... Keeping stock is apparently sinfully unprofitable and completely unrealistic to expect them to do so. Oh and naturally they have signed an exclusive contract so they won't purchase from other producers. :sigh:

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

TheFluff posted:

That must be a parody. Like when Sony accidentally gave out everyone's personal info and when confronted the boomers in charge went "It was an internet attack" Then they grabbed an intern and asked who does internet attacks and he pensively responded "anonymous?"

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
We really should've burnt Gävlebocken, this is the second year in a row we've failed. The gods will be displeased

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Katt posted:

That must be a parody. Like when Sony accidentally gave out everyone's personal info and when confronted the boomers in charge went "It was an internet attack" Then they grabbed an intern and asked who does internet attacks and he pensively responded "anonymous?"

I bet the office computer got ransomwared and nobody remembers the login details (or even the address) to the central purchasing system.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Last summer was surreal when it came to the fires and the insane heat. I’m used to hot summers, I’m used to forest fires, just...not in Sweden, if that makes sense

badCombina
Jun 6, 2013

You're the DJ of this gig!

Fader Movitz posted:

We really should've burnt Gävlebocken, this is the second year in a row we've failed. The gods will be displeased

One day I want a movie made about the apocalypse in sweden due to the bock not being burnt.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
V threatens to go no-confidence on the cabinet if they attempt to realize their ideas about further undermining the Employment Security Act (LAS)

Probably an empty threat though because of course the right-wing isn't going to oppose the social democrats implementing their policy ideas for them :smith:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Reminder that the only reason this didn't happen under Alliansen was that M vehemently opposed it and wouldn't compromise. The Social Democrats are so poo poo.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

TheFluff posted:

V threatens to go no-confidence on the cabinet if they attempt to realize their ideas about further undermining the Employment Security Act (LAS)

Probably an empty threat though because of course the right-wing isn't going to oppose the social democrats implementing their policy ideas for them :smith:

That investigation is like 1-2 years before a law proposal is a reality.
Which basically makes puts us the year before next election.
It will be interesting to see whether V is prepared for a no-confidence at that point. If not it kinda undermines V before next election.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

So the grand welfare reform that put tens of thousands of kids in poverty since its implementation resulted in a grand total of 250 people employed full-time, according to the Ministry of Finance. The minister claims this shows that their policies work.

https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/politik/rapport-kontanthjaelpsloft-har-sendt-450-personer-i-job

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Cardiac posted:

That investigation is like 1-2 years before a law proposal is a reality.
Which basically makes puts us the year before next election.
It will be interesting to see whether V is prepared for a no-confidence at that point. If not it kinda undermines V before next election.

The party top won't survive it, there were already influential insiders who wanted to rake them over the coals for compromising in January. There's also the matter of there being precedent for V doing this before, which is going to make backing out even more difficult.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

The party top won't survive it, there were already influential insiders who wanted to rake them over the coals for compromising in January. There's also the matter of there being precedent for V doing this before, which is going to make backing out even more difficult.

We still don't know what the compromise between S and V was or how real it it.
Fact remains that V gave up their only weapon by allowing the coalition to form since the budget is not dependent on a majority vote, making V redundant.
It will be interesting to see how this plays out, since the question "Why vote for V if they cave for S" comes up.
As for no-confidence, SD wants the chaos and M+KD wouldn't mind killing the current coalition.

Also, KD and V did a joint statement this week on FI if I recall, so I guess we are in the world of unlikely alliances.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Cardiac posted:

Also, KD and V did a joint statement this week on FI if I recall, so I guess we are in the world of unlikely alliances.

I don't want to live in hell world where a good (or bad) idea can not be shared by two opposing political parties, thank you very much.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
https://www.aftenposten.no/meninger...fdY0Z24kPzl6sC4

I really don't know what the gently caress to say :psyduck: Are we starting to slowly turn into hardcore centrism where we should allow people like Steve Bannon to promote his views in these sort of events? What the gently caress is that sort of argument about 'Listen to them to learn how to fight them?' I'm going to crash my car to learn how to pull myself out of a car crash.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Stalins Moustache posted:

https://www.aftenposten.no/meninger...fdY0Z24kPzl6sC4

I really don't know what the gently caress to say :psyduck: Are we starting to slowly turn into hardcore centrism where we should allow people like Steve Bannon to promote his views in these sort of events? What the gently caress is that sort of argument about 'Listen to them to learn how to fight them?' I'm going to crash my car to learn how to pull myself out of a car crash.

Kjetil Rolness is someone who made trolling a profession.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Well, Paludan got enough signatures to run for the election. Guess all it takes is, uhm, being racist enough. I mean, throwing the koran, wrapping the koran and bacon and setting fire to the koran is really danish politics in a nutshell. Turns out that no matter how atrocious politicians are willing to be to immigrants, there is always someone who is willing to be even worse, and who will then get the racist vote. Who would have thunk it?

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Apr 27, 2019

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Well, Paludan got enough signatures to run for the election. Guess all it takes is, uhm, being racist enough. I mean, throwing the koran, wrapping the koran and bacon and setting fire to the koran is really danish politics in a nutshell. Turns out that no matter how atrocious politicians are willing to be to immigrants, there is always someone who is willing to be even worse, and who will then get the racist vote. Who would have thunk it?

Don't forget the proposed anti-Muslim measures that are literally stricter than the Nuremberg Laws and that speech about the sewers overflowing with the blood of the foreigners. He's also been exploiting a loophole to gather signatures despite the Ministry of the Interior pleading with him not to.

Note that every party in parliament has expressed concerns over this shithead. Not the homophobia, racism or harassment, obviously, but whether he was allowed to do it wherever he pleased. None of them have so much as acknowledged the ethnic cleansing and special laws.

The same cops that empirically violate the law to mass arrest climate protesters and confiscate Tibetan flags, and constantly use perfectly legal and constitutional measures to prevent leftists from protesting near job centers, asylum centers, police stations, embassies, churches and anti-choice organisations, claim to be powerless to stop him from lighting fires in public.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Cardiac posted:

We still don't know what the compromise between S and V was or how real it it.
Fact remains that V gave up their only weapon by allowing the coalition to form since the budget is not dependent on a majority vote, making V redundant.
It will be interesting to see how this plays out, since the question "Why vote for V if they cave for S" comes up.
As for no-confidence, SD wants the chaos and M+KD wouldn't mind killing the current coalition.

https://twitter.com/jsjostedt/status/1122077180761137152

We are living in the strangest timeline.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Indeed.
VBK continues to make a career on pointing out the obvious consequences of politics, while the parties live in imaginary land.

While Sjöstedt can point out obvious things like this, he only have the nuclear option.
Which is not totally bad, since V have the potential of gaining votes at the expense of S in a re-election.
If S goes all liberal with C, traditional S voters go V or SD or we get a minority M-KD government, where V would be the clearest left wing opponents to the ruling coalition.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

SplitSoul posted:

Note that every party in parliament has expressed concerns over this shithead. Not the homophobia, racism or harassment, obviously, but whether he was allowed to do it wherever he pleased. None of them have so much as acknowledged the ethnic cleansing and special laws.

Also Pernille Vermund -- the Führerin of Nye Borgerlige -- has said that she would rather have his party in parliament than any of Enhedslisten, SF, Radikale Venstre, Socialdemokratiet or Venstre. She's just as bad as him, she's just better at hiding it.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Note that he was a candidate for NB until someone (publicly) brought the "rivers of blood" thing to their attention.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

SplitSoul posted:

Note that he was a candidate for NB until someone (publicly) brought the "rivers of blood" thing to their attention.

Lmao did he do an Enoch Powell?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Boatswain posted:

Yes, quoting him almost verbatim.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Boatswain posted:

Worse, actually:

"Hundreds of thousands are sitting at home readying their weapons and practicing their rifle aim. [...] Our streets will be turned into rivers of blood. And the foreign enemies' blood will end up in the sewers where the foreign enemies belong."

He subsequently claimed the speech was a work of art and therefore not prosecutable.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

SplitSoul posted:

Worse, actually:

"Hundreds of thousands are sitting at home readying their weapons and practicing their rifle aim. [...] Our streets will be turned into rivers of blood. And the foreign enemies' blood will end up in the sewers where the foreign enemies belong."

He subsequently claimed the speech was a work of art and therefore not prosecutable.

Like the worst übermensch ever. If his party gets any influence in the parliament, wife and I have talked about moving to the Harz in Germany.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Kidney Stone posted:

Like the worst übermensch ever. If his party gets any influence in the parliament, wife and I have talked about moving to the Harz in Germany.

2019: Moving to Germany to dodge the Nazis.