Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

haveblue posted:

That was an implosion. All CRTs come pre-globetrottered out of the box.

neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerd

it was a big boom that's all that matters :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

I used to have a video from 2005 when my buddies and I drunkenly pushed a big 17 inch CRT out of a 4th storey window on campus at Texas A&M

The campus police were very interested in the news.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

Wasabi the J posted:

I got one of those splinters 2 days ago that you can't get out and it's so tiny it's not worth going to the doctor for.

But it's in there. Just chilling.

Empty syringe placed over it and draw it up.
Suction that fucker right out.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I got a terrible splinter in my foot I couldn't get out. Internet told me actually it's fine to leave in so long as it wasn't hurting and the body will naturally push it out over a few days.

By the next day I had another got at it and it came out super easy.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

haveblue posted:

That was an implosion. All CRTs come pre-globetrottered out of the box.

Good reference, Bubblegum Tate.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Baronjutter posted:

I got a terrible splinter in my foot I couldn't get out. Internet told me actually it's fine to leave in so long as it wasn't hurting and the body will naturally push it out over a few days.

By the next day I had another got at it and it came out super easy.

That happened with my grandpa and the splinter worked itself deeper and caused a horrible infection in his tendon that required surgery and a ton of antibiotics, so ymmv with that strategy.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
ya u gotta be a whippersnapper with caustic youth blood

Automatic Retard
Oct 21, 2010

PUT THIS WANKSTAIN ON IGNORE

Facebook Aunt posted:

I've never understood why they don't just put a floor drain in every bathroom. You know the tub is gonna splash, overflow, and the toilet is gonna back up many times over the lifetime of the house. Why not prevent those inevitable little accidents from ever becoming disasters?

I was today years old when I learnt that not all bathrooms have drains in the floors. WTF

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Automatic Retard posted:

I was today years old when I learnt that not all bathrooms have drains in the floors. WTF

I've lived in at least 20 different homes (in western Canada) and never had a bathroom floor drain. However, every laundry room had a floor drain and somehow didn't smell of sewer gas. :iiam:

Enoch Root
Aug 28, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

I've lived in at least 20 different homes (in western Canada) and never had a bathroom floor drain. However, every laundry room had a floor drain and somehow didn't smell of sewer gas. :iiam:

Canadian plumbing code only requires one emergency floor drain in a dwelling and it’s typically located in your laundry/mechanical room. So if builders don’t HAVE to put a drain in your bathroom they don’t!

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Dienes posted:

That happened with my grandpa and the splinter worked itself deeper and caused a horrible infection in his tendon that required surgery and a ton of antibiotics, so ymmv with that strategy.

Just heat your foot to pasteurization temperatures.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Facebook Aunt posted:

Laundry room floor drains often just...drain into the yard.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Just heat your foot to pasteurization temperatures.

Ladyfingers they taste just like ladyfingers

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Facebook Aunt posted:

your local codes probably called for a floor drain there with the trap connected to the washing machine

Queen Combat posted:

Laundry room floor drains often just...drain into the yard.

or that

the way you can tell is if the floor drain clogs then when you run the washing machine it'll erupt water from the floor drain

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Or bubbles occasionally come out of the floor drain if you use a lot of detergent in the machine

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Since Amazon decided to one day ship me a new plug here's some pics of my extension cord electrical tape repair from ~7 years ago. Dropbox didn't auto upload the final pic of the new plug so you'll just have to pretend I did a thing.

Pretty good repair job back in the day, eh OSHA thread? :smug:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That's it, i'm writing you up.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

tangy yet delightful posted:

Since Amazon decided to one day ship me a new plug here's some pics of my extension cord electrical tape repair from ~7 years ago. Dropbox didn't auto upload the final pic of the new plug so you'll just have to pretend I did a thing.

With a little solder I'd've run it.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

ArcMage posted:

or crimp connector. in a dry area.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I caught some home grown OSHA myself today.

I rounded the corner and watched him get onto the not a step.

You can't see it, but he's bending over at the waist to work on some cabling that is juuuust out if reach. At least the other guy was holding the ladder for him.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Nth Doctor posted:

At least the other guy was holding the ladder for him.

Lucky bastard. :argh:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
My automotive electronic days are decades ago, but I would fill a butt connector with a little silicone grease, crimp them properly and heat shrink tube followed by a bunch of electrical tape. Stagger the butts so they don't have a big egg right in the middle of the repair.

But a new cord is like $15 and you won't burn your house down with it. Do what'cha want.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Nocheez posted:

My automotive electronic days are decades ago, but I would fill a butt connector with a little silicone grease, crimp them properly and heat shrink tube followed by a bunch of electrical tape. Stagger the butts so they don't have a big egg right in the middle of the repair.

But a new cord is like $15 and you won't burn your house down with it. Do what'cha want.

A GOOD cord is a lot more than that though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Nth Doctor posted:

You can't see it, but he's bending over at the waist to work on some cabling that is juuuust out if reach. At least the other guy was holding the ladder for him.

Oh barf, this building aesthetic or whatever you would call it instantly reminded me of my days when I worked for a certain DoD organization in my air force days.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

therobit posted:

A GOOD cord is a lot more than that though.

Well then properly fix that 50 dollar cord you just sawed through. :v:

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Nth Doctor posted:

nevermind the OSHA, don't set the ceiling tiles on the grid like that, that's how they get all scratched up and ugly looking :argh:

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

tangy yet delightful posted:

That's.. actually probably OSHA compliant. Under MSHA's guidelines (which are usually based on OSHA, or stricter), as long as the insulation on the repair job is equal or greater thickness than the original, you're good.

Still looks like poo poo and you're going to kill yourself/burn your house down though.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

Sammus posted:

That's.. actually probably OSHA compliant. Under MSHA's guidelines (which are usually based on OSHA, or stricter), as long as the insulation on the repair job is equal or greater thickness than the original, you're good.

Still looks like poo poo and you're going to kill yourself/burn your house down though.

Do the guidelines say anything about using an actual crimp connector or solder rather than just twisting the wires together because that's the only part that worries me really.

Basically I'm with Nocheez.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Encountered this driving back home from Seattle the other day:

He was going about 60 and was in the slow lane, but there's gotta be some sort of law about poo poo like this.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Pyroclastic posted:

He was going about 60 and was in the slow lane, but there's gotta be some sort of law about poo poo like this.

jeeze, do you guys want people driving pickup trucks or not, make up your mind!

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

SelenicMartian posted:

'Press the spider button, please, - my hands are full.'

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

Pyroclastic posted:

LMFAO hmm, I wonder what happened to the rear window.

Also please send this photo, with plate number intact, to the State Patrol. There's a non-zero chance they'll at least send the registered owner a "Dear Dumbass" letter.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Farmdizzle posted:

LMFAO hmm, I wonder what happened to the rear window.

Also please send this photo, with plate number intact, to the State Patrol. There's a non-zero chance they'll at least send the registered owner a "Dear Dumbass" letter.

Or don't be a snitch.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Powershift posted:

jeeze, do you guys want people driving pickup trucks or not, make up your mind!

I just noticed he even has an aftermarket tow hitch on the car!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ArcMage posted:

If you do use solder, make sure that section of the cord can't bend, because solder will make the connection brittle, and the stresses of it trying to bend back and forth could crack it.

Pyroclastic posted:

I just noticed he even has an aftermarket tow hitch on the car!

Car is doin work

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Soiled Meat
I dunno man. Let's ask the extension cord.

Hey cord, are you concerned the solder may snap if exposed to repetitive flexion stress?

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spankmeister posted:

Or don't be a snitch.

I mean in most cases I'd agree but if this person makes a habit of it that can be murderous to other motorists.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Pyroclastic posted:

That guy just building his pallet house for pinstagram cred.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

ArcMage posted:

Yeah, me too. I've made repairs like that before with solder, shrink tube each conductor, and then shrink tube over all of it for some additional tensile strength.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Yeah, me too. I've made repairs like that before with solder, shrink tube each conductor, and then shrink tube over all of it for some additional tensile strength.

Look at this guy, actually remembers to put on heat shrink on the cable before soldering.