Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I have to wonder who started this trend and why it persists? It's just so...strange, even though I've encountered it three times now.
For the megaten franchise, the crossover of technology and mysticism/Myth came from the original Digital Devil Saga novels. I can't tell you who started the trend of a literal Deus ex Machina though although it's interesting to hear that Angel's Sanctuary did something with that as well. I dropped the series myself.

GimmickMan posted:

Getting into Devilman last year was my biggest "holy poo poo that's where all this stuff comes from" in recent memory.

It's not particularly related to the whole God as a computer thing (which probably originates from science fiction?) but this is the SMT thread so I figured I'd throw it out there given so much of SMT is taken from Devilman :v:.
There is a translated interview from the first Shin Megami Tensei and series producer Yosuke Niino straight up states that Devilman was the inspiration for the fusion system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
I think the initial jumping off point for the SMT concept was noticing programming is kind of like doing a magic ritual. Words you have to do in the correct order and so on.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Yeah honestly if you look at the original manga/OVA of Megami Tensi it could very very easily pass as Devilman fanfiction, not just thematically in terms of demons but even the beat-by-beat events

it's also edgy as gently caress in an unironic 80s way

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
It still feels super weird every time I remember that one of the longest-running gaming franchises started off as an adaptation of a book.

...does anyone know, is it a good book?

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

i seem to vaguely remember there being some extremely yikes things about the book itself but it's been a long time since I heard that

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Cleretic posted:

It still feels super weird every time I remember that one of the longest-running gaming franchises started off as an adaptation of a book.

It's incredibly bad.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Cleretic posted:

It's a trilogy, the first two have been translated by different groups but to date nobody seems to have worked on the third. I'd have to re-read them again to compare between translations but I don't remember them being bad.

Translation of first two by DDS Translations
Book 1: Reincarnation of the Goddes by MeNaSe
Book 2: Warrior of the Demon City by MeNaSe

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
We're about 30 hours away from the first day of the Persona concert, which is a two day event.
There should be a live stream on Periscope at https://twitter.com/p_kouhou

There's also a NicoVideo stream if you like dial-up quality or pay $5 for premium.

Tomorrow night will be Persona 5 Royal's announcement while Persona 5 S will likely be the day after.

The official start time is 19:30 JST on the 24th and 25th or 6am Eastern/10am GMT so plan accordingly if you want to watch mental shutdowns live

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Cleretic posted:

Merilan posted:

i seem to vaguely remember there being some extremely yikes things about the book itself but it's been a long time since I heard that

https://megamitensei.fandom.com/wiki/Digital_Devil_Story:_Megami_Tensei

Here's the plot summary of the character Ohara in this book

quote:

Ohara is a teacher at Jusho High School who taught classical literature. Ohara is described as stunningly beautiful and more like a model than a teacher. Akemi Nakajima lures her into the CAI Room, where she becomes a sacrifice to Loki. She is fitted with a helmet that connects her to the digital realm where Loki waits. Loki has sex with her while Nakajima looks on, and Yumiko Shirasagi stumbles upon the scene. After sleeping with a demon, Ohara becomes his loyal slave, learning to use the demon summoning program that Nakajima invented. She aids Loki in gaining the ability to materialize in the human world, as well as his ability to travel through computers at will. When Loki demands Yumiko as a sacrifice, Nakajima is hesitant and unwilling to comply, but Ohara readily brings Yumiko to him. Loki, in the form of a gelatinous pink blob, rapes Yumiko, which causes Ohara to go mad with jealousy. After Yumiko and Nakajima escape, she aids Loki in teleporting into a bank near them. Ohara panics when Loki doesn't return, and she repeatedly attempts to contact him with Nakajima's program. She ultimately fails, but she does accidentally contact the demon Seth instead.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

yyyyyyyyeah no i don't wanna touch that one

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Aya Nishitani's Megami Tensei light novels are all pulpy as hell (even if the Jerusalem novels are less so). They haven't really aged that well, tbh.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
sounds like every trashy horror lit, tbh.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
All I can remember from the books were weird paragraphs describing how beautiful the characters were and going on about perfect teeth or some poo poo.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I remember watching the OVA except all instances of Loki were subtitled as "Rocky" instead.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Haha oh poo poo I remember that one it was Digital Devil Saga? There's at least another one called Tokyo Revelations.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Digital Devil Story. Digital Devil Saga are the games with the guys that turn into cannibal hinduist demons.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Both OVAs are works of art and i won't hear anything against 'em.

Art, i say, art!

please don't take my facetious words seriously

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Petiso posted:

Digital Devil Story. Digital Devil Saga are the games with the guys that turn into cannibal hinduist demons.

you know while I don't mind the name Digital Devil Saga they definitely were setting themselves up for confusion with this

Like at least make Avatar Tuner the main sub-franchise title rather than the other way around

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Digital Devil Story: Digital Devil Saga

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Merilan posted:

you know while I don't mind the name Digital Devil Saga they definitely were setting themselves up for confusion with this

Like at least make Avatar Tuner the main sub-franchise title rather than the other way around

At least the novel version is called Quantum Devil Saga.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Digital Devilman

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

PMush Perfect posted:

Digital Devilman

Man Argilla's design makes a lot more sense after watching Devilman, but I didn't even make the connection at the time

DDS had this really potent horror element to it in the early portions when the focus of the plot was the moral dilemma of this world where people got suddenly transformed into cannibals, but then they just sort of dropped it. The scene where you're going through the Maribel base and the demons keep talking about wanting to eat you was really cool but the vibe didn't last

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I've mentioned it once but DDS still screams to me like a game that wants to be some kind of action game and I think the horror vibe would've been sustained better if you had to like, devour enemies in that kind of gameplay style not unlike uhhh let's say Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines's blood-drinking mechanic, and maybe you're just depleting Atma constantly and have to refill to keep using your powers

Like there's even a Hunger status ailment but it doesn't really factor outside of being an annoying gimmick against the Niconico mascot (??) boss fight and some others

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Sera's song is even a huge plot deal because it prevents people from going into hunger-filled rampages, which is very important for your team who refuses to eat people

and then you rush Iron Stomach and Wikipedia so you can eat as many people as possible for more EXP

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

For anyone who really likes Strategy RPGs in their SMTs, the same group that fan translated Majin Tensei 2 are now doing 1 as well!

As someone who played a decent chunk of both, this is pretty exciting (though the first 2 bosses in Majin Tensei 1 I'd say are much harder than the 3rd boss).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84wN5w8qSPw

And as for Megaten influences, I was thinking techno-magic stuff and Devilman were large inspirations for it?? I recall a part in the first book where Nakajima is described as being a particular band's fan while talking about his coding devil stuff, too. :v:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Me, five minutes ago: Wait, I just realized we're at the beach...surely we already had our big homophobia moment of the game in Shinjuku, right?

Me now: Katsura Hashino retire bitch

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Booky posted:

For anyone who really likes Strategy RPGs in their SMTs, the same group that fan translated Majin Tensei 2 are now doing 1 as well!

As someone who played a decent chunk of both, this is pretty exciting (though the first 2 bosses in Majin Tensei 1 I'd say are much harder than the 3rd boss).

Wait, Spiral Nemesis got translated? That's rad, I was waiting for that for a long time from Aeon Genesis, but gave up after it had been like five years with no progress. ...I was about to say the last I heard of them was their dead-end on SMT If back in 2014 but they actually finished that one a few months ago too. drat, I might have to play these if I can tear myself away from my other games.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Wait, Spiral Nemesis got translated? That's rad, I was waiting for that for a long time from Aeon Genesis, but gave up after it had been like five years with no progress. ...I was about to say the last I heard of them was their dead-end on SMT If back in 2014 but they actually finished that one a few months ago too. drat, I might have to play these if I can tear myself away from my other games.

Yeah IIRC it got released I believe a few months ago and if... as well?? :) I'm pretty curious about what Megaten games haven't gotten translated yet. Some Devil Children games?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
6 hours to go until the Persona concert.

Nico Video day 1
https://live.nicovideo.jp/gate/lv319206777

Nico Video day 2
https://live.nicovideo.jp/gate/lv319206782

This will probably have a link to a Periscope (twitter video platform) stream
https://twitter.com/p_kouhou

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/p_kouhou/status/1120989517681311744

Twitter/Periscope stream. Will be much better quality, but there's an exclusive 30 minutes for paying Nicovideo customers.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Booky posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84wN5w8qSPw

Oh sweet! I was a beta tester for an abortive attempt at a translation back in the early 2000s that got as far as some menus and some demon talks before sputtering out. Glad to see someone actually making some headway with this one.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Not to dredge up old drama, but AGTP had Majin Tensei on their docket for at least 15 years with next to no progress at all, bar a mention that they'd uncovered a workaround during the If hacking process that might make MT1 a bit easier.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Not to dredge up old drama, but AGTP had Majin Tensei on their docket for at least 15 years with next to no progress at all, bar a mention that they'd uncovered a workaround during the If hacking process that might make MT1 a bit easier.
Wasn't he getting death threats for a huge chunk of time?

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
We're probably about 20 minutes away from all hell breaking loose on anything Persona related.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Lyn is absolutely killing it, I remember when she was debuted her live performances were pretty shaky, she's pretty much flawless now

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I can't believe Featherman was Joker all along.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Wow, actual English.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Wark Say posted:

Wasn't he getting death threats for a huge chunk of time?

Not that I've seen. I've seen a lot of people make that claim, but the most I've seen him say is that he was getting "bullied". It basically spun out from the fact he'd update the site once a year, maybe, and discuss game updates about as often on twitter. People were getting frustrated with the lack of communication and the fact that he'd claimed a lot of games that people wanted to see with nothing to show for years at a time (there's an unwritten rule in fan communities that if someone 'claims' something for translation, be it a game, manga, etc. it's off-limits to anyone else to work on). So he blew up about that, people blew up at him calling them entitled assholes and the whole thing turned into a monumental clusterfuck. It definitely doesn't help that he had If sitting on his list for years, then for Xmas last year or the year before, he promises something big. It turned out to be a release of 4 translations at once for a series of games no one really asked for, except maybe the people in his IRC chat.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Booky posted:

I'm pretty curious about what Megaten games haven't gotten translated yet. Some Devil Children games?

A few more than you'd think, though not as many as that sounds. We can obviously discount the myriad mobile games and weird no-longer-in-existence PC stuff (like P00);

NINE, Majin Tensei 1 (of course), Ronde, Devil Summoner 1 (though I'd be surprised if no one was working on one), Devil Children Black/Red/White, Devil Children Messiah Riser and Giten Megami Tensei are all the ones that come to mind as definitely, or more likely than not, having anything.

If I remember right, the original versions of Megami Tensei 1 and 2 were being worked on but got dropped once the Kyuuyaku patch released, since that kinda makes it redundant and unnecessary.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Well, that seems less "Leave it to the internet!" than usual. And yet, I still feel kinda dumb after reading it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
New girl is a Marie

10/31 Japan