Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
neon genesis evangelion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

neon genesis evangelion. the mangawalkers are just the first wave of Magic’s new art direction. next set is Heroes of Geofront

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

ilmucche posted:

What's NGE?

Non-game events, I think

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

ilmucche posted:

What's NGE?

Negative Game Experience

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

neon genesis evangelion. the mangawalkers are just the first wave of Magic’s new art direction. next set is Heroes of Geofront

You joke but...

https://twitter.com/gavinverhey/status/1120705790946398208?s=21

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I never joke mother fucker. 1100% serious posting 24/7/365.25. time to register ten million bot twitter accounts to vote in this poll

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

This phrasing is so vague, but an entire manga set done by a good studio would own bones.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

So my friends are roping me into doing two headed giant prerelease this weekend. I've never done sealed at all and have maybe done janky two headed twice. Any tips you guys can give would be great because all I got going for me now is expect to lose 4 times.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Mat Cauthon posted:

This phrasing is so vague, but an entire manga set done by a good studio would own bones.

:yeah:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Can I get a set with a diversity of styles and wide latitude for artistic expression?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I guess the real question is. Who will Mary Elizabeth McGlynn voice in the anime adaptation?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Elspeth.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I am a huge fan of alternative art. HUGE FAN. I think they have been doing it far less than what they should. I don't despise the anime stuff, I don't like it, but its refreshing. I Like them trying new things.

I also hate fow art direction and I hope they don't move to that. I also giggle at all the people who have said they hate fow style art and love this.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Not all anime/manga style art is of the... quality FoW art is. You can do the art style without being skeevy or over the top.

(Give me more Yoshitaka Amano art)

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'll be a contrarian and say I really appreciate a set having a consistent, mostly realistic style. Seb's stuff is obviously beautiful, but if every card in the set were as wildly off model as his stuff tends to be, it runs the risk of the entire set looking like it got dressed in the dark.

It might be interesting to see what the ninth best artist does with the 15th printing of Demolish when you really let them loose, but I'm afraid it will do a lot more harm than good to a set having a sense of cohesion. House style exists for mostly good reasons.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
I’m not a huge fan of the anime style but something like Kaya which is clearly not in the normal MTG style but isn’t full anime would be great.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I agree that having a consistent art direction is good. But I also love having weird looking one-ofs in my commander decks.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

A manga set would be awesome if it was cyberpunk instead of fantasy

But I really just want a set that's not fantasy

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Kurieg posted:

I agree that having a consistent art direction is good.

I don't

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Get in the robot Jace, or we'll force Chandra to do it again.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Tainen posted:

I’m not a huge fan of the anime style but something like Kaya which is clearly not in the normal MTG style but isn’t full anime would be great.

That's anime as hell dude.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

I don't like alt art because there's enough cards to recognize that I don't need multiple copies today keep track of, but if cards have a completely different art style then that's cool.

I loved the Sagas because they were so striking and different, it's way better to have more artistic diversity than not.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I think that Magic should embrace all sorts of diverse art styles and am glad they are experimenting with with not making everything fit a locked-down house style, but they should not ever do anime style for any reason.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

PrinnySquadron posted:

poo poo... does this mean I like... Anime?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Give me representational art that leans photorealistic over Japanese manga artists who think people of color are just simply a different selection in their color pallet on Manga Studio any day.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Wizards learning the wrong lessons from Kamigawa :v:

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Tainen posted:

poo poo... does this mean I like... Anime?

If loving Kawaiiya is wrong I don't wanna be right

Also, return to Kamigawa would be awesome because it'd be post-kami war and it'd probably be the all-manga artist set. I want more orochi for my edh snake tribal deck, so get on that poo poo, wizards.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

C-Euro posted:

Wizards [...] wrong

fake edit: also how about that mmo that is still being developed? where is magic digtal next

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Haven't we known this since Kamigawa? Players said they wanted a "Japanese" set, but it turns out they meant anime catgirls and giant swords instead of actual Japanese mythology.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

atrus50 posted:

fake edit: also how about that mmo that is still being developed? where is magic digtal next

Arena is Magic Digital Next

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
MtG: Portal will be coming out any day now

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

PrinnySquadron posted:

Meh. The anime label doesn’t mean much nowadays since there are so many styles coming out or inspired by Japanese artists right now. It certainly ain’t BESM. Honestly, Kaya looks like something you’d get out of Avatar or The Boondocks.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Yeah Kaya is in the neighborhood of Boondocks at least.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Kaya struck me as a revolutionary girl utena artstyle

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Meh. The anime label doesn’t mean much nowadays since there are so many styles coming out or inspired by Japanese artists right now. It certainly ain’t BESM. Honestly, Kaya looks like something you’d get out of Avatar or The Boondocks.

Avatar was pretty anime inspired but it's all just full circle anyway since the anime artstyle was originally inspired by ww2 era Looney tunes

ChromiumCrush
Sep 6, 2010
An entire anime set would suck rear end.

Oh how I wish Magic art would returns to it's gruesome roots.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

the anime artstyle was originally inspired by ww2 era Looney tunes

wot

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

mandatory lesbian posted:

Avatar was pretty anime inspired but it's all just full circle anyway since the anime artstyle was originally inspired by ww2 era Looney tunes

I read once that Tezuka Ozawa(?), the guy who drew Astro Boy, was heavily inspired by Disney cartoons and especially Donald Duck.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Apr 24, 2019

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

This is what 1950s/60s anime looked like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Do kamigawa but have all the kami drawn in an anime (or just non standard fantasy) style to emphasize their other worldliness.