Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

AceRimmer posted:

Had anyone tried John Tiller's naval games? I'm morbidly curious.

I did, many years ago, and my general opinion is that they're very rough, bordering on bad:

the main strike against them is that the damage system is way too coarse: a ship takes a hit, and its health goes down a little, and it'll slow down a little, or something it'll be a critical hit and the whole ship just explodes instantly.

and then then gunnery is pretty much completely AI-driven, but then torpedoes have to be aimed and shot manually

movement is also micromanagement-heavy because there's no way to set waypoints - you can set a course and you can set a speed, but there's no way to tell a ship to start turning once it gets to this particular point on the map

the one good thing about it is that flotillas/squadrons/fleets are linked together, so you only need to issue orders to the lead ships of a formation, and that combined with the gunnery automation does make it play at a fairly high level, which would be required if you're doing something like the full Jutland, but when I tried to do an LP of it way back when there just wasn't enough feedback in the game to really explain to an audience what was going on, and that reflects back to the player as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Hitler
Dec 11, 2006

I'm gay as heil!

Thalantos posted:

Thats p much my strategy when I play already :)

My issue is that the ai pushes my poo poo in with tanks despite putting at guns everywhere

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

AceRimmer posted:

Had anyone tried John Tiller's naval games? I'm morbidly curious.

They're quite bad, do not buy them.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Can someone post an up to date discord invite?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
https://discord.gg/DFDVxmu

Whats wrong with this server?

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Doing some research on the Copyrigt.gov and uspto.gov they have not copyrighted or trademarked rule the waves at all :cripes:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Tythas posted:

Doing some research on the Copyrigt.gov and uspto.gov they have not copyrighted or trademarked rule the waves at all :cripes:

Rule The Waves, my new surfing simulator, now on Steam!

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Tythas posted:

Copyright is automatic. (Though registering it can be useful, see https://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html#register)
Trademarks also have force even without registration, though again having it is better for lawyering purposes.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Yeah they definitely do have claim to it, you couldn't just pounce on that.

So I was doing the math earlier today real quick and even assuming he can do one DRM key email every 15 seconds that's still... if that's all he does for 8 hours it's 1920 codes. Their store guy has said confidently that you'll get your code before the game locks you out, so the lockout period is either a LOT of gameplay, or they only expect <2000 people to buy on launch day.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Two separate quotes from NWS

Williammiller Admin posted:

A new or replacement graphics card will not require re-activation. Updating the graphics adapter is one of the more common PC upgrades so it will be exempted.

I am afraid I cannot go into more specifics than that, as releasing every specific item/change that might trigger a re-activation could reduce the potential effectiveness of the protection. I hope you can understand why we have to be careful with that.

Thanks!

someone was saying in the thread that with the DRM system you don't own the game you are pretty much renting it which got this response

WarshipNWS posted:

Technically and legally "renting" is not the same thing as "licencing" which is included in most any standard EULA and adheres to international copyright law.

For "rented" property the more legally accurate term is "lease". Eventually you have to return a "rented", or "leased", product to the rightful owner unless their is a mutual transaction for exchange of ownership.

When we decide to cut the APS due to no longer actively supporting RTW2 (likely to be quite a few years off) you would not be returning RTW2 to us and you will not be charged for use again anytime in the future.

The EULA and copyright protection will still be in effect for RTW2 for many years.. as it goes for ANY software licence unless the publisher says otherwise in legal documentation.

Read up on EULAs sometime which involves virtually any purchased software on the market - including your operating system. Even freeware can have a EULA.

In some countries the legal semantics might be worded a bit differently but the general concepts of the above still hold the same meaning in most cases and copyright law is upheld in most all major countries.

That ends this topic to avoid a lengthily debate so lets move on please.

Thanks

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I'm not touching a lot of those dumb arguments people want to get into on their forums about the semantics of what is and isn't piracy and what is and isn't renting. Generally, you're not going to argue the devs out of the position they've ended up in.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Oh I agree I just find it funny that they are treating the EULA like it's legally binding

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
I hope they argue themselves out of all the money they could have earned

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
You get the feeling the devs don't care how much their game sells or how much money they make as long as they get the highest possible percentage of the proceeds. I'd rather have 100% of nothing rather than a lesser percentage of something.

Same sorta thing regarding DRM; I don't really care about my customers but gently caress the pirates, that's my poo poo you're stealing.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Impracticality aside, I kind of wonder how their goofy 1990s DRM would react to being run in a VM. Most of the hardware is going to be configurable to whatever you want and you could even just send a snapshot to someone else and it'd all be identical and already installed. I'm not saying that's a good or likely method for people to pirate it, only that I'm not sure they've considered that in the modern era it's actually possible for people to functionally be running identical systems so hardware locking isn't as much of a magic bullet solution as they think it is.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
That's a good point. The game is so lightweight that 'emulating' it rather than truly cracking it would be no big deal.

Prediction: RTW2 will be pirated more than the first game despite DRM, simply because of the awareness is higher, being a sequel.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

I haven’t been following whatever the DRM issue is at all and was planning to emulate RTW2 using Wine, which is what I did for the first one. Is there some reason that won’t work?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

There's no real way of knowing, because details on their DRM are a bit secret to ~*stop the pirates*~. I would assume you're fine as long as you're running it in Wine every time, because it's not like they're going to tell the difference.

But that also assumes they've coded it competently to some kind of standard and I wouldn't give them that benefit of the doubt. There's a pretty good chance even the devs themselves wouldn't know whether or not it's going to work.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Bold Robot posted:

I haven’t been following whatever the DRM issue is at all and was planning to emulate RTW2 using Wine, which is what I did for the first one. Is there some reason that won’t work?

have you run any other grog games using Wine? I've recently dipped my toe into Linux

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

gradenko_2000 posted:

have you run any other grog games using Wine? I've recently dipped my toe into Linux

I also run WitP using Wine. It takes some trial and error to get it working properly but it’s not too bad. I haven’t tried anything with actual graphics but it has worked perfectly for lightweight stuff like RTW and WitP. This is on OS X, though - I’ve never used Linux.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Bold Robot posted:

It takes some trial and error to get it working properly

Linux.txt

Every other year or so, I get a bug up my rear end to dual boot my computer and play around with Linux. Then I spend 3 hours editing text files trying to set up a bog standard dual monitor configuration, flatten it, and go back to Windows.

On topic: This DRM solution is bad in so many ways. At least automate the key distribution system. Leaving the responsibility on one person to manually generate keys and email them is so archaic and stupid that it defies logic. I won't be getting this as I don't want Bill the Keymaster to die leaving me unable to use my legally-purchased software when I rebuild my PC in a year or two. I already can't play CM:BN because it requires a pay-to-play patch to disable their DRM in Win10. So, nope, won't be getting into this type of situation again.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Someone should tell them that soundcards haven't been a regular thing in PC gaming since the founded the company.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
That they can't even figure out how to automate their dumb DRM key generator scheme is really telling of where they are at skill wise as software developers. This poo poo has been solved for decades now.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

I don't think it's a lack of knowledge I think it's more a stubborn refusal to do so

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Popete posted:

That they can't even figure out how to automate their dumb DRM key generator scheme is really telling of where they are at skill wise as software developers. This poo poo has been solved for decades now.

I think they're thinking, "well, this has worked so far" and we'll see how it goes when it comes to manually sending out huge numbers of emails the first day.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The best programmer is a lazy programmer, if there is a thing you need to do more than 10 times it's likely worth writing a program to do it for you. It's just a waste of someones time that is better spent doing something else.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Wasn’t there some Jutland game like ten years ago that required an always on internet connection for DRM?

Didn’t that flop terribly?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Tythas posted:

I don't think it's a lack of knowledge I think it's more a stubborn refusal to do so

I agree that it's not a lack of knowledge, but I imagine they've fallen afoul of the most common reason people do stupid things without realizing they're stupid: Faulty assumptions. If I assume I can fly, jumping off the roof of my apartment complex is a perfectly logical thing to do and clearly anyone who is telling me not to jump just doesn't understand basic logic.

The real question is when they hit the ground whether they'll realize the assumption was wrong, or if they'll just blame pirates for shooting them out of the sky.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

FrozenVent posted:

Wasn’t there some Jutland game like ten years ago that required an always on internet connection for DRM?

yes it did, atleast it's not like denuvo, which has an option to check every frame

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

FrozenVent posted:

"There seems to be something wrong with our bloody DRM today"?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FrozenVent posted:

Storm Eagle Studios developed a 3D Jutland game and distributed it through their proprietary "Stormpowered" digital distribution platform, which was basically a Steam knock-off.

The game itself wasn't really that bad, and Stormpowered itself hosted a bunch of other grog games so it wasn't purely for the studio's own use, and I never found their DRM to be particularly intrusive, but it was probably too niche?

Like, the reason you want to go on Steam is because you have an install base of customers who will be exposed to your product that might not be otherwise, but making your own Steam isn't at all the same thing even if you cloned it.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Tythas posted:

yes it did, atleast it's not like denuvo, which has an option to check every frame

In this genre that's only twelve checks a second so it isn't overly demanding.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Bold Robot posted:

Wine Is Not an Emulator :sun:

Only reason I can think of is if whatever APIs they call to find out what your hardware is aren't yet implemented in Wine.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

Storm Eagle Studios developed a 3D Jutland game and distributed it through their proprietary "Stormpowered" digital distribution platform, which was basically a Steam knock-off.

The game itself wasn't really that bad, and Stormpowered itself hosted a bunch of other grog games so it wasn't purely for the studio's own use, and I never found their DRM to be particularly intrusive, but it was probably too niche?

Like, the reason you want to go on Steam is because you have an install base of customers who will be exposed to your product that might not be otherwise, but making your own Steam isn't at all the same thing even if you cloned it.

Don't forget the important bit that they got boughtout by some shady Russians who now sell it as if nothing changed but I don't think the game actually works on windows 10 and it'll never be patched because the developers aren't there.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Anyone getting Imperator Rome? Would like to hear how it plays.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Probably in 2 months when it goes on sale.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

gradenko_2000 posted:

I just remember the company CEO or whatever telling me off on the subsim forums because “what if I want to use it somewhere there’s no internet access?” was an edge case.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I can't loving imagine a cadre of gamers where "inconsistent internet access" is less of an edge case, given that the Venn diagram of "likes grog games" and "uses a PC from 1998 to connect to NetZero" is as close to overlapping as it ever could be.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Why is every grog dev owned and operated exclusively by stubborn old men?

Popete posted:

Anyone getting Imperator Rome? Would like to hear how it plays.

I consider Paradox games to be in beta until at least the first expansion or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I wonder how hard it is to get picked up by a publisher like Slitherine. I bet there are lots of good war games without shareware era DRM at reasonable prices that have slipped through the cracks of Steam greenlight and such.