Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

teagone posted:

This isn't actually what I believe. I was saying that's what it feels like with how they handled the character's end.

[edit]

Regarding this, I get it. I personally think it's weak writing that disregards character development from previous films in order to come to that solution; making it a pre-ordained scenario where only Tony is left to handle the snap based on Doctor Strange's view into the future makes it all less weighty imo. Especially with regards to Captain Marvel and how they built/hyped the character up.

[edit 2] That said, I can see how it would be a satisfying ending for Iron Man fans. Or maybe it'll be divisive? I think Cap's ending is the one that's going to make people go "wtf" lol.

Yeah this sums it up well. The ending is so incongruous, even by Marvel standards, that you feel like there has to be something behind the scenes to provoke it beyond the usual editorial meddling.

It really seems like they got Cap and Tony's motivations switched. Yeah Cap is the solider without a war and obviously feels out of place but he's also the dude willing to step up and sacrifice himself to ensure that others have a chance. Him leaving everyone behind to hang out with his best girl feels selfish and also weird in the context of him sucking face with her niece (is Sharon Carter even in this movie?). He abandons Bucky and disdains the connections he made in the present, to say nothing of the need that the world has for him post-unsnapping.

Tony on the other hand has had two or three movies that demonstrate that he wants to be done with the heroics, and find a way to end the fighting once and for all. Dying doesn't accomplish that, and on top of that he leaves behind his actual kid and his surrogate son in a pretty hosed up world. He hasn't been the selfish, self absorbed tech guy since Avengers 1, why does that loop need to be revisited and resolved this way? It's evocative because rdj is the face of these movies but man it all feels so off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
The reviews seem good so hey maybe it gels better than the spoilers suggest

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Now I'm home (finally), it's time for my full reaction! Warning: This is spoileriffic, I will spoil you, like, seriously.

I will say a lot of what people are saying seems really confusing... isn't at all. The movie legitimately spends like 5 loving minutes going over the mechanics and even gives you a visual guide to help you keep up with the plot beats. And a lot of the 'what the gently caress' stuff makes sense in context.

no, seriously

Pros:
- All the acting was On Point for this, especially Cap, Tony and Nebula. Favorite scenes: Tony's crippling break down, Thor and Rocket's interactions, Natasha's tiny smile when she sacrifices herself and basically everything Cap did. The "heil hydra" line, and him fighting his past self, got the biggest laughs from the theater.
- Cap dual wielding the shield and hammer got the loudest cheers, and although a lot of the cgi was muddy and brown, they redid the... I think the valkyrie scene lighting style from Ragnarok? For his last stand, and that moment was really cool.
- Tony's death scene was well done. "I am.. Iron Man" was the start and end of the Avengers, really. It wasn't needlessly gory but it still looked like it hurt. A good send off.
- Quips didn't happen at weird awkward moments, so there was still gravitas during the big fights instead of a forced laugh track, joss whedon I am looking directly at you through the screen.
- Black Captain America is going to make certain people lose their loving minds and I'm ready for that.

Cons:
- Hawkeye's haircut. What the gently caress is this emo mohawk bullshit? Like I could barely keep a straight face sometimes.
- I saw it in imax and although that was mostly cool, the big CGI clusterfuck had beats where it was too fast and messy to really follow, especially in 3D. There were some good moments that I felt should have been lingered on more and given more weight.
- After an entire two movies about Cap and Bucky, I was expecting more of an interaction than a hug per movie for the finale, especially given what happened to Cap. But this is my Winter Soldier is in my top 3 marvel movie faves bias showing.
- The 'ladies team up' shot felt really... forced? And I'm speaking as a woman here. I would have rather had them individually get the limelight like the guys were getting.
- Natasha dying before getting her own solo movie.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Mel Mudkiper posted:

To be fair, the reviews kinda don't matter at this point. This is one of the most hyped movies of the year, the reviews are expected to be glowing, and negative reviews will be seen as contrarian.

I hope you're right though, the spoilers have left a sour taste in my mouth.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

As Nero Danced posted:

To be fair, the reviews kinda don't matter at this point. This is one of the most hyped movies of the year, the reviews are expected to be glowing, and negative reviews will be seen as contrarian.

I hope you're right though, the spoilers have left a sour taste in my mouth.

Avengers 1 and 2 and Infinity War all had lower reviews

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Ending cameo question:
Is that teenager standing by himself the kid from Iron Man 3? I could sense the audience going “who the hell is that?” as the compositing nightmare was wrapping up. I couldn’t even make that guess on who it was until my ride home.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Film is good. It was always going to be a bit hard to live up to expectations, and the spoilers actually had me somewhat soured when I went to see it, but I think it is definitely worth seeing and enjoying.

That said, two slight thoughts about the film:

First, for a superhero movie this had very little superheroing in it. This isn't necessarily bad, but it does feel oddly disjointed compared to a typical marvel flick.

Take Age of Ultron, for example. That starts with a big action set piece with our heroes being heroic. Then you have the tower fight with the iron legion, the fight with the twins and ultron which leads into Tony fighting hulk. You have cap squaring off against Ultron to get vision, and the final battle. Five or six major setpiece fights over the course of two hour movie (without credits.)

Endgame, by contrast, has basically one main fight. You get a five second scrap with crippled Thanos at the start. A brief mirror match with Captain Americas, and Hawkeye/Widow trying to out suicide each other. You probably only have about 2-3 minutes worth of action scenes in the first two hours of the film, then a thirty minute fuckoff action scene to round it out. It just feels very, very strange.

Second, and sort of related to the first, the use of time travel at all in the film feels so weird given how little they do with it. My assumption going in was that they'd planned some sort of 'best of' thing, bringing characters through major events of the previous films as an homage to the series, but they really, really don't. None of the three trips turn out to have any substantive action scenes in them at all, and are all more about letting the heroes see dead people (or moving the thanos plot forward) than they are about anything else.

They label it as a 'heist' but it feels like there is zero tension. Like if Nebula hadn't hosed them, and the soul stone didn't require a sacrifice the whole thing would have been the equivalent of going to get their laundry.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Mierenneuker posted:

Ending cameo question:
Is that teenager standing by himself the kid from Iron Man 3? I could sense the audience going “who the hell is that?” as the compositing nightmare was wrapping up. I couldn’t even make that guess on who it was until my ride home.

It is, judging by the credits. A nice nod to the film but he felt terribly out of place given that he hasn't appeared in years and was a fairly generic child actor, making him entirely unrecognizable.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How many post credits does it have

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
0 post-credit.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Caros posted:

I think it is definitely worth seeing and enjoying ...

You probably only have about 2-3 minutes worth of action scenes in the first two hours of the film ...

They label it as a 'heist' but it feels like there is zero tension ... the equivalent of going to get their laundry.

Lmao

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Mel Mudkiper posted:

there's footage all over reddit including the last fifteen minutes of the climactic setpiece

so, not really

Caros
May 14, 2008

Oh no, I have mild critiques about a film I enjoyed!? Truly your selectively quoting parts of my posts makes you come across as something other than an enormous pedant!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Caros posted:

Oh no, I have mild critiques about a film I enjoyed!?

The joke is that you consider two hours of the characters doing laundry with no action scenes “a mild critique.”

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Caros posted:

Oh no, I have mild critiques about a film I enjoyed!? Truly your selectively quoting parts of my posts makes you come across as something other than an enormous pedant!

This is supposed to be the grand finale to a mega-franchise crossover so "there was no tension in a bunch of the set-pieces and it felt like doing chores" is pretty damning. Like some of the spoilers actually made me more excited because I just wanted to see how off the wall they could make everything but your description is probably the first in days to actually dampen my enthusiasm.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The joke is that you consider two hours of the characters doing laundry with no action scenes “a mild critique.”

Thanos watches on as the washer spins to life. "Perfectly balanced, as all things should be. "

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

RBA Starblade posted:

Thanos watches on as the washer spins to life. "Perfectly balanced, as all things should be. "

drat, Thanos was Right.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Guy A. Person posted:

This is supposed to be the grand finale to a mega-franchise crossover so "there was no tension in a bunch of the set-pieces and it felt like doing chores" is pretty damning. Like some of the spoilers actually made me more excited because I just wanted to see how off the wall they could make everything but your description is probably the first in days to actually dampen my enthusiasm.

Well to clarify slightly, it is more that the scenes become something different than what was expected. Not bad, just different.

The Asgard stuff, for example, has zero tension because it isn't supposed to have tension. It is a character moment and the actual heisting becomes more of a gag in the background. I only brought it up because tonally it seems like more of a 'big drat hero' moment when they head in, but becomes more about time spent with the characters than it does big action setpieces.

Probably not the way that I would have written it, but it isn't bad.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Seriously though I'm not seeing it til next week but is it just the Avengers going to go murder Thanos and if so do they explain why, like, the Vengeancers from Flornax 9 aren't also going to get vengeance for their also hosed planet or the Revengos from the Red Nebula aren't on their way to throttle him

I'd think a few billion different groups would want to go kill him

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Caros posted:

Well to clarify slightly, it is more that the scenes become something different than what was expected. Not bad, just different.

The Asgard stuff, for example, has zero tension because it isn't supposed to have tension. It is a character moment and the actual heisting becomes more of a gag in the background. I only brought it up because tonally it seems like more of a 'big drat hero' moment when they head in, but becomes more about time spent with the characters than it does big action setpieces.

Probably not the way that I would have written it, but it isn't bad.

its cool Caros, I got what you mean. It seemed from the description to be more about reference and reverence for previous movies than actual drama and hey it seems to have worked so I guess I will see

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Seriously though I'm not seeing it til next week but is it just the Avengers going to go murder Thanos and if so do they explain why, like, the Vengeancers from Flornax 9 aren't also going to get vengeance for their also hosed planet or the Revengos from the Red Nebula aren't on their way to throttle him

It seems to suggest earth is the only planet with superheroes and captain marvel is the superhero sheriff of every planet that isnt earth

Caros
May 14, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

They only find him after Nebula tells them where to look, so that could be it. Could also be that no one else really knows what the gently caress happened.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It seems to suggest earth is the only planet with superheroes and captain marvel is the superhero sheriff of every planet that isnt earth

This seems to contradict the Guardians, Thor and Captain Marvel franchises which all establish that there are exceptionally powerful people on other planets and space fleets and stuff. Like I guess in those instances it's more like "space military" than the weird small group of elite super vigilantes Earth has, but that doesn't really seem to undermine the question.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
It’s absolutely wild that the good guys have the powers of God and TWO time machines, and they use them solely to:

-Prevent civilian casualties.

-Nuke an alien slave army.

This is certainly the most Avengers movie ever made.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Just give me loving Jonathan Hickman’s Avengers for the next gigantic rear end phase. Please. Crib exactly. Put him in charge.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It’s absolutely wild that the good guys have the powers of God and TWO time machines, and they use them solely to:

-Prevent civilian casualties.

-Nuke an alien slave army.

This is certainly the most Avengers movie ever made.

It's better than using them to make civilian casualties

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

RBA Starblade posted:

It's better than using them to make civilian casualties

Here’s an idea: snap yr fingers and cure Thanos’ mental illness, which is now confirmed to be his sole motivation. Hell, you can end disease on a universal scale.

And unfuck the massive eco-catastrophe while you’re at it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Here’s an idea: snap yr fingers and cure Thanos’ mental illness, which is now confirmed to be his sole motivation. Hell, you can end disease on a universal scale.

And unfuck the massive eco-catastrophe while you’re at it.

How are they supposed to venge anyone if they're doing things like "show mercy" and "do the obvious thing with five seconds of thought"

cmon smg

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
They should have wished for a million wishes.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

RBA Starblade posted:

How are they supposed to venge anyone if they're doing things like "show mercy" and "do the obvious thing with five seconds of thought"

cmon smg

They don’t venge anyone!

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Makes sense for the Avengers to not venge anyone, linguistically speaking.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

They don’t venge anyone!

lmao welp

They should consider a name change at some point

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
No, we mean a-vengers like a-theist or a-moral!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
They bring all the #fallen back so that they don’t have to #avenge them.

The closest they come to avenging anything is when they make a clone of Thanos and then flog it like an effigy before he’s even done anything. Their vengeance is preemptive!

I’m actually mildly upset that they finally created an interesting Cinematic Universe, and it’s the alternate one where Thor 2 ends with a raccoon attack and Avengers 1 is briefly interrupted by a blundering Steve Rogers doppelgänger. Why couldn’t we have that?

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

coolusername posted:

Live in China, saw the movie, it was loving awesome. I didn't really dig part 1 but yeah, just

Normally in Chinese theaters everyone's on phones, talking, etc. This time? Silence interspersed with gasps and also sobbing.

thanks for the chinese theater update. anyway saw it, it was bang average, some ok moments and a lot of reverse engineering to get to specific scenes that doesn't really work but whatever, this franchise isn't about consistency thematic or otherwise

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Mierenneuker posted:

Ending cameo question:

yes

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

coolusername posted:

Live in China, saw the movie, it was loving awesome. I didn't really dig part 1 but yeah, just

Normally in Chinese theaters everyone's on phones, talking, etc. This time? Silence interspersed with gasps and also sobbing.

I feel like this a foreign audience thing

most audiences don't have to listen to the dialog since its all subtitled and so they are a bit noisier

I had that issue in Mexico, Spain was better but only because of the Franco-era dubbing law

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

They bring all the #fallen back so that they don’t have to #avenge them.

The closest they come to avenging anything is when they make a clone of Thanos and then flog it like an effigy before he’s even done anything. Their vengeance is preemptive!

I’m actually mildly upset that they finally created an interesting Cinematic Universe, and it’s the alternate one where Thor 2 ends with a raccoon attack and Avengers 1 is briefly interrupted by a blundering Steve Rogers doppelgänger. Why couldn’t we have that?

The thing where they clone him and ratpack his rear end sounds really funny.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

it's pretty cool that tony demands the unsnap not revert things back to how they were just because he wants his daughter to still exist. a universe's worth of trauma, insignificant in the face of one last act of stark selfishness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caros
May 14, 2008

R. Guyovich posted:

it's pretty cool that tony demands the unsnap not revert things back to how they were just because he wants his daughter to still exist. a universe's worth of trauma, insignificant in the face of one last act of stark selfishness.

Yeah, what kind of rear end in a top hat doesn't want to be directly responsible for the non-existence of their five daughter.