Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Honestly DnDGate/AnimeGate/ComicsGate's reaction to Ty Beard reminds me of Michael Scott from The Office being impressed by his lawyer, for the sole reason that he has a billboard advertisement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

moths posted:

It looks like Percy Tyrone "Ty" Beard is the garbage lawyer and the Fistfull of TOWs guy.

Which kind of sucks since I've heard good things about FFoT, but it's also like 600+ pages.

Ah, poo poo. Well, at least I bought it before i knew about his idiocy. It's not surprising, though, the miniatures crowd is chock full of CHUDs.

(And the rules are only 200 pages, with ~200 pages of data for units from WW2 to the present. So just ~475 pages total.)

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

I'm feeling pretty bad about backing Frog Gods 3rd printing of the Swords & Wizardry rulebook, especially since the main reason I did it was that it seemed that they'd actually made an effort to appeal to a different demographic than the usual loudmouth beardlords of the OSR. :smith:

Comrade Koba fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 24, 2019

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
Hi extremist alt-right fuckheads, glad you're watching us here.

KiwiFarms that den of utter shittery that wants to rival 8chan is now looking here because of course they are:

Just to remind everyone, Bill Webb admitted to lovely behaviour, and Frog God Games purported investigation admitted that. While we might dismiss it entirely because of his ongoing behaviour and lack of contrition, does make for something of a problem for them when he's claiming nothing happened, that he and they apologised for.

https://www.froggodgames.com/library/?q=forum/response-frog-god-games-events-social-media

quote:

Reducing the event to a level that will maintain confidentiality, my understanding based on my investigation was that Bill Webb took an action and engaged in speech that could be construed as a sexual advance or as gender-dismissive.

In consequence of this finding, I and another senior partner of the company had a meeting with Mr. Webb about expectations, standards of behavior, and future protocol. We addressed that one’s lack of bad intentions does not excuse problematic behavior.

Some people have asked that Mr. Webb acknowledge and apologize for the situation. Bill does deeply regret his actions, and understands that they were inappropriate and upsetting. I have told Mr. Webb not to contact the person directly, for the same reason that I have not done so myself: the potential for that contact to appear intimidating or threatening. However, at whatever time the person lets us know that a direct apology from Mr. Webb would be welcomed, that apology will be immediately forthcoming.

Needless to say, this is being entirely ignored by all the alt right poo poo heads involved

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
Oh, are they still trying to convince everyone that "NPC" is some sort of cutting insult? That one seemed to have fizzled out most places of relevance.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Desiden posted:

Oh, are they still trying to convince everyone that "NPC" is some sort of cutting insult? That one seemed to have fizzled out most places of relevance.

nah, it's just a way to dehumanize people that they haven't given up on because...they like dehumanizing people

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Y'all have to remember that suing some enemy in a different state and causing stress and monetary strain, even if the grifters and victims alike involved see only minor chances of the suit being upheld, is absolutely in line with the modern crypto-fash movement: The Cruelty Is The Point

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I like the reference to the old George Lucas quote RLM popularized in like 2009. Layering two memes is a level of sophistication no subhuman could reach.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Got my refund from Frog God along with a bit of snark:

quote:

I've refunded your payments from both Kickstarter and Backerkit as requested. It's your choice to believe rumors and false accusations.

Kind regards,

Krista Webb

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Warthur posted:

That's hilarious.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Warthur posted:

Classy!

The source of those "rumors and false accusations"? Frog God's own official report of their "investigation" of the incident.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Warthur posted:

Their post in 2017 admitted it and apologised on his behalf, I'm guessing that's been wiped from the record for his new narrative, but it's still there on their website.

or, you know, what FMGuru said

FMguru posted:

Classy!

The source of those "rumors and false accusations"? Frog God's own official report of their "investigation" of the incident.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Well, I responded with "The specific information I have chosen to believe is that provided by your firm's internal investigation" followed by the link to their forum post.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mors Rattus posted:

nah, it's just a way to dehumanize people that they haven't given up on because...they like dehumanizing people
They seem so deeply unhappy. It's like they have to use the 'crying laughter' emoji because they can't actually stop crying.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nessus posted:

They seem so deeply unhappy. It's like they have to use the 'crying laughter' emoji because they can't actually stop crying.

Following ComicsGate and KickVic I've come to see that as a sign of the defeated, particularly when it comes to multiple instances in a row.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
TheRPGSite is "I'm not mad, I find this all very funny" incarnated as a forum.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Dawgstar posted:

"both World-class Gaming Personalities themselves"

Should I know and/or care who Jonny Nexus is? I mean, already he is suspect by the company he keeps.

Wrote the old satirical gaming site Critical Miss, and the Slayer’s Guide to Game Masters, a satirical gaming novel called Game Night (which is actually pretty good) and some zine articles. Now mostly does non-gaming or gaming-tangential novels. Wasn’t aware he had done anything bad apart from pushing the “gamer girls are like gold dust” viewpoint on CM way back, and writing a hilariously bitter convention journal.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

hyphz posted:

Wrote the old satirical gaming site Critical Miss, and the Slayer’s Guide to Game Masters, a satirical gaming novel called Game Night (which is actually pretty good) and some zine articles. Now mostly does non-gaming or gaming-tangential novels. Wasn’t aware he had done anything bad apart from pushing the “gamer girls are like gold dust” viewpoint on CM way back, and writing a hilariously bitter convention journal.
I think I have a book by him about gods playing an RPG, but I've never read it.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

dwarf74 posted:

I think I have a book by him about gods playing an RPG, but I've never read it.

That’s Game Night. It’s basically a catalogue of things that go wrong playing RPGs presented as a novel. Sadly there’s no solutions...

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Warthur posted:

Well, I responded with "The specific information I have chosen to believe is that provided by your firm's internal investigation" followed by the link to their forum post.

I don't often find my dissatisfaction rising to the level of requesting refunds, but I really appreciate your efforts to engage with creators and companies as you do so (not being sarcastic).

Warthur
May 2, 2004

I'm not even a particularly can-I-talk-to-your-manager sort - I've backed (God help me) over 130 Kickstarters, the vast majority have been fine, and I've have only sought refunds on 10. Of those, 4 of them are SJG/Frog God-connected ones based on this recent nastiness, 1 was Sigil & Sign (because they kept crediting C.A. Suleiman as being a key member of their team despite making loud noises about ejecting him), 4 involved no actual unpleasantness on either side (project went sour, creators did right by me as a backer, everyone moved on), and 1 was Alas loving Vegas. Oh, and there's my Burning Wheel refund, but I didn't ask for that one, it was inflicted on me as a curse from an angry wizard.

So the refund-seeking rate we're talking about is 4.8% if you don't include the SJG/Frog God blip, 7.6% if you do. It shouldn't be hard for people to fall into the 92% of creators and companies I stay frosty with.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I requested a refund for a Marion Zimmer Bradley collection from Amazon when it came out what a monster she was and I got back a very supportive email from whoever handled it. That was nice.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Warthur posted:

Oh, and there's my Burning Wheel refund, but I didn't ask for that one, it was inflicted on me as a curse from an angry wizard.
I like that Crane is in a class that he shares exclusively with Venger Satanis.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Warthur posted:

I'm not even a particularly can-I-talk-to-your-manager sort - I've backed (God help me) over 130 Kickstarters, the vast majority have been fine, and I've have only sought refunds on 10. Of those, 4 of them are SJG/Frog God-connected ones based on this recent nastiness, 1 was Sigil & Sign (because they kept crediting C.A. Suleiman as being a key member of their team despite making loud noises about ejecting him), 4 involved no actual unpleasantness on either side (project went sour, creators did right by me as a backer, everyone moved on), and 1 was Alas loving Vegas. Oh, and there's my Burning Wheel refund, but I didn't ask for that one, it was inflicted on me as a curse from an angry wizard.

So the refund-seeking rate we're talking about is 4.8% if you don't include the SJG/Frog God blip, 7.6% if you do. It shouldn't be hard for people to fall into the 92% of creators and companies I stay frosty with.

The only one I've refunded was Sigmata, and that went very professionally, even if I disagree with Chad Walker's take on activism.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
oops wrong thread

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

HopperUK posted:

I requested a refund for a Marion Zimmer Bradley collection from Amazon when it came out what a monster she was and I got back a very supportive email from whoever handled it. That was nice.

What did she do? I'm not particularly a fan or anything, but I'm starting to feel like I need a wiki or something to keep track of who's a terrible person and why.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

What did she do? I'm not particularly a fan or anything, but I'm starting to feel like I need a wiki or something to keep track of who's a terrible person and why.

She and her husband are pedophiles and child abusers.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
MZB is in a higher echelon of "monstrous" than basically anyone else we could talk about in this thread.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Mors Rattus posted:

She and her husband are pedophiles and child abusers.
As an ugly side note, Moira (the daughter who specifically exposed Bradley - Bradley's husband Breen was convicted of abuse during his lifetime, Bradley was only exposed herself postmortem) has been latched onto by hardcore homophobic evangelicals as an anti-LGBT+ parenting poster child, and has (last I heard of it) kind of been happy to go along with that - she put out her book detailing the whole thing through Vox Day's press, for instance, and Vox does an intro to it.

Which isn't to say she doesn't deserve sympathy for what happened, but does mean a) her writing on the subject can go into hateful areas and b) a lot of her testimony on the subject is hosted on places which I suspect most people here would not usually count as being credible sources. It doesn't upstage the core story, which is that MZB and Breen were monsters, but it's an ugly wrinkle which might have hurt the extent to which the news got propagated after the initial flash.

Warthur fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 25, 2019

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The good news is all proceeds of her (e: MZB, that is) books, IIRC, go to a charity for abused children.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Her (later) husband Walter Breen was done for child abuse in the 50s, there was a fandom scandal when some people tried to stop him attending SF conventions full of kids and were shouted down and accused of character assassination, then he married Bradley and she helped cover for him for decades while he wrote about how good loving kids was. He got done for it again in the 90s, and thankfully died. Then it came out that she'd been raping her kids (and others) too.

So don't worry, it's not just them who are loving awful people in this story.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Mors Rattus posted:

The good news is all proceeds of her (e: MZB, that is) books, IIRC, go to a charity for abused children.
I have a second hand copy of Sword & Sorceress sat on my not-yet-read shelf, having picked it up on the basis of "Hm, this was an important feminist milestone in fantasy writing wasn't it?", and I can't quite bring myself to read and review the drat thing like I was planning to. Knowing that the proceeds from her stuff is going to charity helps, but not enough.

I'm particularly galled to note that the series seems to be continuing under the original title and still crediting MZB as its founder, and edited by Elizabeth Waters, a bud of MZB's who posted this veiled denial of Moira's accusations when the story came out.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
It's stunning that Breen was surrounded by scandal in the 60s, and it just died down, and was apparently no impediment to his wife becoming a feminist icon (at least in genre literature). That couldn't happen today, and I don't know how much of it is genuine progress as opposed to the Internet making these things easier to verify and harder to ignore.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

It's stunning that Breen was surrounded by scandal in the 60s, and it just died down, and was apparently no impediment to his wife becoming a feminist icon (at least in genre literature). That couldn't happen today, and I don't know how much of it is genuine progress as opposed to the Internet making these things easier to verify and harder to ignore.
Why not both? The printing press saw similar progressive leaps (and nightmare backlashes and bizarre dead ends). Progress achieved via technology is no less real for the means by which it was accomplished.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I went to high school with MZB's grandkids. That was not a happy family.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Warthur posted:

Why not both? The printing press saw similar progressive leaps (and nightmare backlashes and bizarre dead ends). Progress achieved via technology is no less real for the means by which it was accomplished.
If I may be pedantic, there's a difference between being genuinely ethical and simply observing the manners of your social set, and our ruling class operates entirely according to the latter mode. Leveraging technology to manipulate that is an improvement, but we can do better.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Halloween Jack posted:

Fans are really, really terrible about policing their own (just as true in the modern era as it was back in the 1950s/1960s)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

FMguru posted:

Fans are really, really terrible about policing their own (just as true in the modern era as it was back in the 1950s/1960s)

It's not just fans. Look at our ruling class in America. The simple reality is that all humans are generally lenient on people they know or admire and hard on those they don't.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Bill Webb attempts an apology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PST
Jul 5, 2012

A) That still contradicts some of the eyewitnesses who have spoken publicly and privately about it, including the victim

B) If this was the case, why is there a claim by Ty Beard that they hired him, why is there a claim by lovely youtube comicsgate lawyer about (some of) this (the cigarette packet thing was entirely new to that claim). It's admittedly the first time Webb has spoken on it, even while trying to downplay it, and it's definitely cherry picked and seems to be a 'trying to draw a line under it', but then why would they have emailed/spoken to lovely comicsgate lawyers to escalate it all.

The whole thing on how FGG are the real victims is just bullshit, and I'm now torn between this being them rowing back, or trying to attract sympathy or distract from a non-lawsuit that may or may not be happening because despite all the 'mwah ha ha ha' threats none of those named have heard anything about it other than one tweet.

PST fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 26, 2019