Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Tom feels a lot like some kind of corporate middle manager to me. Trying to be cool and fit in, but never really seeming like he's enjoying himself on his own terms, all he has to fill the gap is his money and status. He never really seems to be getting much out of his relationship with Star either, he just was dead set on it, and now he has it.

Rhombulus is fun and while he deserves all the punishment he gets and more, I'm gonna miss him.

I'm hoping his snakes turn on him, like maybe they tried to talk him out of it but failed, and when they tried not to release globgor Rhombulous overrode them or something. That could be interesting, having them as allies from within the cell. They clearly are far smarter than he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I do get the impression that if the High Magical commission continues to be a thing (it's basically down to two members now and has been shown to be a lovely institution even if some of the individuals are well-meaning) then Star is a shoo-in for joining it, given she's probably the most powerful general magic user on Mewni now.

I really can't see how this goes any other way.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

https://mioko-san.tumblr.com/post/173194860662/golden-heart-patreon-ko-fi-commissions

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Descriptions for all remaining episodes have been released! (Some pretty major spoilers below):

April 28th, 2019, episode 4x15
Doop Doop
Star attempts to figure out what to do with her life after she is not responsible for Mewni any longer.

Britta’s Tacos
Marco Attempts to consume 50 tacos in order to win a special prize that is offered at Britta’s Tacos restaurant.

April 28th, 2019, episode 4x16
Beach Day
Star gets ready to actually have the day at the beach with Marco.

Gone Baby Gone
Marco misplaces both Mariposa and Meteora somewhere in Hekapoo’s dimension.

May 5th, 2019, episode 4x17
Sad Teen Hotline
Tom breaks up with Star but is not prepared for the consequences

Jannanigans
Star and Marco need Janna’s help to return to Mewni.

May 5th, 2019, episode 4x18
Mama Star
Star, Marco, Janna and Tom lose their memories as they traverse amnesia-inducing waters to get back to Mewni.

Ready, Aim, Fire
Star arrives in Mewni as a soldier attacks Monster Castle.

May 12th, 2019, episode 4x19
The Right Way
Star, Ponyhead, Sea Horse, Kelly, Rich Pigeon, Jorby, Talon and Quirky Guy all arrive to bail out Eclipsa

Here to Help
Moon arrives to save the day.

May 12th, 2019, episode 4x20
Pizza Party
Moon and Mina agree to disagree

The Tavern at the End of the Multiverse
Star searches for a way to defeat Mina and her Solarian Warriors.

May 19th, 2019, episode 4x21
Cleaved
Star attempts to solve all of her problems

When they're not neck-deep in shipping and fan kids, the fan artists for this show can come up with some pretty solid stuff.

Source

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The logline for the last episode sure is something.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 28, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's clear that Marco's making an effort to get Tom to do more with his free time, and while becoming a demon dragon-biker didn't work out, they have found a mutual love of practicing elaborate musical choreography.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Some real good episodes this week. With the end of the series approaching, Britta's Tacos was especially nice-this is probably the last time we'll see most of these characters, so it was sweet to give them a good sendoff, especially for Jackie.

Gone Baby Gone was also great, they could probably make a whole show out of the adventures of Meteora and Mariposa.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Looks like this confirmed Meteora only has vague memories of her original life, at least enough to really hate Marco, but otherwise seems to be having a fresh start on her life. And there's still the open question of who exactly sent the babies through the portal...

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

It was a nice touch for Justin Roiland's character to have a Rick and Morty-style mouth.

And hey, Jackie got herself a new girlfriend!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Looks like this confirmed Meteora only has vague memories of her original life, at least enough to really hate Marco, but otherwise seems to be having a fresh start on her life. And there's still the open question of who exactly sent the babies through the portal...

Is that really an open question? Heckapoo forgot to close her portal and as any parent will tell you, babies always seek out the most dangerous thing in the room, especially if it's shiny.

I don't think there was any malevolence involved.

I gotta say, Heckapoo should learn to be a bit more responsible with those scissors.
Of course, that might have been another attempt at a coup.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 28, 2019

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

I really liked the way Britta's Tacos handled everything, giving Marco a chance to interact with all his earth friends and Star not being a part of it at all because she's too busy doing nothing.

Beach Day got me real worried with Father Time saying "too bad the hardest times are still ahead." Obviously we're building up to something with Mina and even Moon stepping in, based on upcoming episode descriptions, but I'm worried.

Marco's little sand-mermaid-Ludo was really cute :kimchi:

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

cant cook creole bream posted:

Is that really an open question? Heckapoo forgot to close her portal and as any parent will tell you, babies always seek out the most dangerous thing in the room, especially if it's shiny.

I don't think there was any malevolence involved.

I gotta say, Heckapoo should learn to be a bit more responsible with those scissors.
Of course, that might have been another attempt at a coup.

I've just rewatched that scene and yeah this completely makes sense. Heckapoo portals into the nursery, Marco distracts her so the original portal isn't closed, and then she leaves by a different one. No subterfuge required

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm getting kind of annoyed with Heckapoo. She never seems to take any responsibility for her garbage decisions, and still tries to claim the moral high ground. Heckapoo, you literally kidnapped a baby to swap her out for a more politically acceptable princess, gave her to a robot who abused her for her entire life then got surprised when she lashed out after 300 years of garbage. Eclipsa's big crime was running off with a guy she liked. Eclipsa's not the problem here! Because of the Magical High Council Eclipsa had to beat up her own daughter. Omnitraxis is bad about this too, but he doesn't have much screen time so all my ire has kind of unfairly focused on Heckapoo. :v:

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Surprised that nobody's commented that Mariposa is the Spanish word for butterfly. Star should be proud. :3:

Britta's Tacos: I'm honestly surprised they got away with the number of teen pregnancy/parenting jokes they did. I'm also glad that Jackie's found herself in France.

Gone Baby Gone: Mariposa's gonna be OK, I think. She really is Marco's sister, moles and all. Here's hoping she'll be a good influence on Meteora.

Honestly this has set itself up pretty well for a sequel series with Meteora and Mariposa if they decide to go that route.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

kefkafloyd posted:

Surprised that nobody's commented that Mariposa is the Spanish word for butterfly. Star should be proud. :3:

Aww. I knew that word sounded familiar. :3: It's certainly a better name than what was originally planned.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Tacos: It says a lot about how far things have come, but also how far they still have to go, that Jackie said everything except "I'm Gay".

Babysitting: Eventually, Marco is just gonna have to say to Meteora "Some time travel stuff happened, I was enemies with an alternate version of you.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
Nice to see the writers randomly switching up Jackie's sexuality during her final minute. Her character really was nothing but a tool to the end.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

TheFattestPat posted:

Nice to see the writers randomly switching up Jackie's sexuality during her final minute. Her character really was nothing but a tool to the end.

The switch I don't mindb but I REALLY don't like how it wasn't lampshades or alluded to in any way along with how late it was which basically guarantees that it won't get explored in the slightest. Her character, personality, and how she was written and used have always felt incredibly off. Like she came in from a COMPLETELY different show. She feels like she'd have been a better used character in something like a lighter and softer ATBG combined with Rocket Power or something to that effect if that makes any sense. Like it feels like she was sort of never allowed to actually BE a character or have any real sort of agency.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

doomrider7 posted:

Like it feels like she was sort of never allowed to actually BE a character or have any real sort of agency.

It's a fair point, but honestly, it's one that applies to every character from Earth. Even Janna is mostly around to do a bit. All of the arcs happen on Mewi. That's the big reason I'm glad they moved away from the slice-of-life high school thing the show started with. Outside of establishing Star and Macro's dynamic, they didn't really seem to have much idea what to do with that backdrop.

So yeah, Taco's felt perfunctory but I didn't really expect more given the amount of time they've got left to tie off loose ends.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

From S3E3

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

doomrider7 posted:

The switch I don't mindb but I REALLY don't like how it wasn't lampshades or alluded to in any way along with how late it was which basically guarantees that it won't get explored in the slightest. Her character, personality, and how she was written and used have always felt incredibly off. Like she came in from a COMPLETELY different show. She feels like she'd have been a better used character in something like a lighter and softer ATBG combined with Rocket Power or something to that effect if that makes any sense. Like it feels like she was sort of never allowed to actually BE a character or have any real sort of agency.

My take is that Jackie's main role on the show up until Sophomore Slump was to act as a barometer for Star's influence on Marco. Before Star arrived, Marco was a smart but extremely insecure kid with few friends, and while he was attracted to Jackie he lacked the confidence and self-esteem to even begin talking to her and expressing his feelings. As Season 1 and 2 progressed, each episode Jackie was in showcased how Marco (With Star's help) was slowly growing in confidence, graduating from talking to her (Freeze Day) to texting her (Interdimensional Field Trip) to honestly expressing his feelings (Sleepover) and finally overcoming his insecurities and asking her out (Naysaya). Once they actually started dating, however, their relationship stagnated as Marco was never able to graduate from merely being infatuated with Jackie to truly becoming friends and a partner to her*—mirroring how Star was unable to reconcile her romantic feelings towards Marco with their existing friendship (Made all the worse by the fact that she was the one who got Marco and Jackie together in the first place). By the time Sophomore Slump rolls around in Season 3, Marco has everything he could have ever wanted, thanks to Star—a romantic relationship with Jackie, dimensional scissors that will take him anywhere in the multiverse, a magic sword, and even a rad cape. But the one thing he doesn't have is Star—and as Jackie realizes, by this point Star is more important to Marco than she'll ever be to him, so she breaks it off, freeing Marco to fully dedicate himself to Star.

Ultimately, Jackie serves to act as a source of infatuation and development for Marco, and once he leaves for Mewni that role is entirely over. She could have been a much deeper character and definitely gets the short shrift, but without a major rewrite it's also hard to see what else the writers could have done with her once the show moved off Earth.

e: If anything, I think the "Switch" is something of a reaction to her previous role in the show—because she only really existed in relation to Marco in the first few seasons, it makes sense that (In what is likely her final appearance) the writers wanted to show Jackie having her own life outside of Marco, finding herself and reinventing herself in significant ways just as much as Marco and Star have. It's not much, but it's also not nothing, and on the whole I think it works pretty well.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Apr 29, 2019

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Acebuckeye13 posted:

My take is that Jackie's main role on the show up until Sophomore Slump was to act as a barometer for Star's influence on Marco. Before Star arrived, Marco was a smart but extremely insecure kid with few friends, and while he was attracted to Jackie he lacked the confidence and self-esteem to even begin talking to her and expressing his feelings. As Season 1 and 2 progressed, each episode Jackie was in showcased how Marco (With Star's help) was slowly growing in confidence, graduating from talking to her (Freeze Day) to texting her (Interdimensional Field Trip) to honestly expressing his feelings (Sleepover) and finally overcoming his insecurities and asking her out (Naysaya). Once they actually started dating, however, their relationship stagnated as Marco was never able to graduate from merely being infatuated with Jackie to truly becoming friends and a partner to her*—mirroring how Star was unable to reconcile her romantic feelings towards Marco with their existing friendship (Made all the worse by the fact that she was the one who got Marco and Jackie together in the first place). By the time Sophomore Slump rolls around in Season 3, Marco has everything he could have ever wanted, thanks to Star—a romantic relationship with Jackie, dimensional scissors that will take him anywhere in the multiverse, a magic sword, and even a rad cape. But the one thing he doesn't have is Star—and as Jackie realizes, by this point Star is more important to Marco than she'll ever be to him, so she breaks it off, freeing Marco to fully dedicate himself to Star.

Ultimately, Jackie serves to act as a source of infatuation and development for Marco, and once he leaves for Mewni that role is entirely over. She could have been a much deeper character and definitely gets the short shrift, but without a major rewrite it's also hard to see what else the writers could have done with her once the show moved off Earth.

e: If anything, I think the "Switch" is something of a reaction to her previous role in the show—because she only really existed in relation to Marco in the first few seasons, it makes sense that (In what is likely her final appearance) the writers wanted to show Jackie having her own life outside of Marco, finding herself and reinventing herself in significant ways just as much as Marco and Star have. It's not much, but it's also not nothing, and on the whole I think it works pretty well.

Maybe. Part of the problem I think is the scissors make a lot of those issues kind of redundant in that the need to full on need to write out the entire setting and most of the cast from Earth always felt kind of redundant. With Jackie part of the problem t kind of felt like they were definetly trying to flesh her out more and give her more depth and background, but then sort of stopped halfway. Ditto for some plot bits that never really went anywhere like Stars green magic moments that were being fueled by her negative emotions. That never really got fleshed out at all.

Edit: A lot of people also REALLY didn't like that she was sort of used as a plot device for what pretty much everyone was a ship that was 100% inevitable. Hence why the criticism on how her character was used.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Apr 29, 2019

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
due to a curse jackie can only stop skateboarding while within 10 feet of marco

she was definitely used as a plot device but eh, not every character has to be important

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Jackie never did end up being much of a character in her own right and her send off was good for what it was. That it implies that she's now going out with a girl but doesn't state it (girls totally hold hands with their friends while skateboarding, right?) is about as much cover as it can get. Marco's friends now running a D&D group that mostly women was a bit of a dumb gag though.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

BioEnchanted posted:

There is so much shipping there should be a radio forecast.

There's so much shipping a Teamster's strike would cause a production hiatus.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm hoping that for the Finale they lure Mina into the hyper-time dimension just so that she has to deal with Star, Hot!Marco, Meteora, Eclipsa, Tom, Mariposa, Globgor, hell if they feels like backing up their daughter Moon and River can come too. Just Mina having to deal with 3 or 4 magic users at their peaks, 2 monsters with powerful abilities, and a couple of earth badasses all at once. You could even have Marco summon all his many allies in hell-dimension to help out.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 29, 2019

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I really don't feel Mina would be at all interesting as a villain and I hope she isn't the end boss

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Didn't Marco and Jackie date for like a week tops? Doesn't seem like there was much for there to be unresolved feelings about on her end.

Tom really seems fundamentally uninterested in Star's deeper feelings about her place in the world, and while it's fine for him to be upset that Star bailed on their trip after spending all day getting ready to go on it, but if you don't wanna be there for your significant other's important life decisions, then maybe they'll choose things that won't involve you. Or heck, if you're uninterested in their inner turmoil, maybe you're just not that interested in them personally.

Heckapoo's dimension is super hosed-up and the taco place has a very diverse rogue's gallery.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

They only dated for a few episodes, but I understand people wanting to see her get more development. Ideally Star and Macro's early relationships shouldn't feel like rote stepping stones. Look at Tom, he's his own dude and has even gotten whole episodes with him at the center. That said, Star's relationships are invariably going to get more of the very limited time the show has because she is the protagonist and the main focus. You see a similar difference in the amount of development between Star's parents and friends vs. Marco's parents and friends, but I guess nobody complains about that because it doesn't apply to shipping arguments.

As for Tom, not being interested in Star's life has been a thing for him since the start. Like, every time she's doing a thing to improve Mewni he tags along but is totally checked out. They're friends, and they're together, but they don't have any common interests. Hell, he shares more with Macro than he does with Star.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 30, 2019

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Skippy McPants posted:

They only dated for a few episodes, but I understand people wanting to see her get more development. Ideally Star and Macro's early relationships shouldn't feel like rote stepping stones. Look at Tom, he's his own dude and has even gotten whole episodes with him at the center. That said, Star's relationships are invariably going to get more of the very limited time the show has because she is the protagonist and the main focus. You see a similar difference in the amount of development between Star's parents and friends vs. Marco's parents and friends, but I guess nobody complains about that because it doesn't apply to shipping arguments.

As for Tom, not being interested in Star's life has been a thing for him since the start. Like, every time she's doing a thing to improve Mewni he tags along but is totally checked out. They're friends, and they're together, but they don't have any common interests. Hell, he shares more with Macro than he does with Star.

Part of it is why a lot of people got behind shipping him with Jackie since a lot of Tom's issues seem to be an overwhelming desire to be loved and just have friends or someone who tell him he's actually a person worth that since some of the supplemental material has made it sound like Star wasn't just his girlfriend, but likely his ONLY friend.

The thing with Jackie is that it felt like they were dropping hints and bits of her character background and interests, but then just dropped it and made her character come off as a sort of stepping stone towards Starco. That the Earth cast basically got phased out all but completely for what many felt were arbitrary reasons did not sit well with people either. It felt...lazy.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

How come Doop Doop doesn't live in Star's wand / pocket dimension with the other spells?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

doomrider7 posted:

That the Earth cast basically got phased out all but completely for what many felt were arbitrary reasons did not sit well with people either. It felt...lazy.

While the transition was rushed, it was anything but arbitrary. The show had nothing left to do on Earth. Better to get Star and Macro to a place where new plotlines can unfold rather than leave them stagnant for the sake of the supporting cast.

Sockser posted:

How come Doop Doop doesn't live in Star's wand / pocket dimension with the other spells?

It was just a bit, and also a reminder that while she's gotten better Star is kind of absentminded and careless. I'm pretty sure she's killed a few innocent people—or at least sent them hurdling off to dimensions unknown—without a second thought.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 30, 2019

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
lol that title card

https://twitter.com/lunchbagmonster/status/1122901186103795713

also, teaser for next week:

https://twitter.com/Hug_bees/status/1122891696528740352

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

This is annoying - for some reason the only version of Star Vs's newest episodes I can find online have slowed down audio, and that's never happened before.
OK they fixed it. That was a really interesting pair of episodes. I like giving Tom a chance to chill on Earth.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 5, 2019

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Guess the MHC is going for the full coup d'etat now.

Also, regarding the ending of the second episode:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Guess the MHC is going for the full coup d'etat now.

Also, regarding the ending of the second episode:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Hell, they may have locked Star and Tom out specifically because they are Eclipsa sympathisers. Honestly I hope they juggle Heckapoo. Unless this is all Mina's doing, that's a conclusion we can also jump to. Are Mama Star and it's pair airing this weekend or what btw?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

BioEnchanted posted:

Are Mama Star and it's pair airing this weekend or what btw?

Yep, both episodes are up on the Disney site. And what episodes they are! fuckin' lol at Mama Star turning into an extremely unsubtle drug trip

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Oh wow that cliffhanger.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I'm starting to think that the the Magical High Commission is a bit shady.
I do wonder how they will progress with regards to Heckapoo, since she is on good terms with Marco. The other guy continues to be a no-entity. Do we actually really know anything about Bally McSphereface? He's always just tagging along.

According to the wiki his name is Omnitraxus Prime and he is responsible for spacetime. He was in that one episode about Star failing at math. I don't remember anything of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

I'm starting to think that the the Magical High Commission is a bit shady.
I do wonder how they will progress with regards to Heckapoo, since she is on good terms with Marco. The other guy continues to be a no-entity. Do we actually really know anything about Bally McSphereface? He's always just tagging along.

According to the wiki his name is Omnitraxus Prime and he is responsible for spacetime. He was in that one episode about Star failing at math. I don't remember anything of that.

Well, given that They literally just committed high treason, and endangered all of Mewni in doing so, I'm hoping that they aren't let off the hook for this stunt. THis sort of poo poo would have got Eclipsa, Meteora and Globgor killed, not just dethroned, along with all the other monsters in Mewni if Star wasn't on her way to beat some sense into them. Especially since they are still hanging with Rhombulous, who is supposed to be in jail.