Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
No, you see this is good for ButtCoin Tesla because...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Moist von Lipwig posted:

is there even any net gain on EVs if the charging comes from poo poo sources like coal? I could see transmission loss wiping it out entirely or even making it a net negative.

i get that up here in ontario where we run on clean, green nuclear it's better but im not sure ive seen stats on bad power sources.

yes, coal plants produce excess power overnight when charging typically occurs and capturing that and dumping it in to a battery means effectively no net new emissions from running your car. grid balance is going to vary wildly depending on your location though

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ol musky has turned on his #1 supporter. granted, he is right that fred has actually posted negative articles in the recent past since they made the referral program garbage.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1120820597347377152

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello
of course elon musk's twitter account has an anime picture now

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Roosevelt posted:

of course elon musk's twitter account has an anime picture now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIakB9qDuSk

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

literally came here to post this lol

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

https://twitter.com/SickTriceratopz/status/1012073141479321600

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

wait I don’t remember that raptor bit

then again I don’t think I’ve seen that movie in well over a decade; hell, maybe two

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

that monitor is enormous

like even for back then it's like nearly a yard deep

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

that monitor is enormous

How else are you going to fit that tiny jeep in there!

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

that monitor is enormous

i think it's one of those panasonic crt video editing monitors that you used to see at television stations and poo poo

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

iospace posted:

Friendly reminder that California came out and said that going to EVs isn't going to help air pollution as much as people think it will, because cars still kick up particulate matter from the roads.

which reminds me, since that chart showed that heavier vehicles damage the road to the 4th power compared to light vehicles, buses damage the road 400x more than "the average car." therefore buses (and mass transit in general) is actually bad. this is now my gimmick. this is my origin story. have a nice day.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Wheany posted:

which reminds me, since that chart showed that heavier vehicles damage the road to the 4th power compared to light vehicles, buses damage the road 400x more than "the average car." therefore buses (and mass transit in general) is actually bad. this is now my gimmick. this is my origin story. have a nice day.

But what if we made the wheels and the roadway of steel?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Platystemon posted:

But what if we made the wheels and the roadway of steel?

oh yeah i love breathing in steel particles

not!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
ITT: Big Gondola shills

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Wheany posted:

oh yeah i love breathing in steel particles

not!

it was pretty funny last year when our transit system employees finally cottoned to why you could see the air in the subway stations on a humid day

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Wheany posted:

what if we just made buses with 400x as many wheels to spread the load

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

infernal machines posted:

it was pretty funny last year when our transit system employees finally cottoned to why you could see the air in the subway stations on a humid day

does it involve rob fords bloated corpse

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

does it involve rob fords bloated corpse

surprisingly no.

turns out the reason the subway walls are covered in brake dust all the time is because the air is full of brake dust all the time.

who knew?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

infernal machines posted:

surprisingly no.

turns out the reason the subway walls are covered in brake dust all the time is because the air is full of brake dust all the time.

who knew?

one time I had to help the kids next door change their brake pads. they didn't know you had to crack the bleed valve and/or use a special tool to compress the piston all the way back in so they were taking a grinder to brand new pads to "slim them down" so they fit. absolutely no ppe, dust everywhere, great times.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

one time I had to help the kids next door change their brake pads. they didn't know you had to crack the bleed valve and/or use a special tool to compress the piston all the way back in so they were taking a grinder to brand new pads to "slim them down" so they fit. absolutely no ppe, dust everywhere, great times.

laughing at the thought of grinding down pads so they fit to the point that you need new pads again

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

thanks, i hate it

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

laughing at the thought of grinding down pads so they fit to the point that you need new pads again

I mean, good on them for giving it a go but the stupidity of college kids never ceases to amaze me

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

I mean, good on them for giving it a go but the stupidity of college kids never ceases to amaze me

especially because fixing pretty much anything automotive is a youtube video away

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

apparently tesla has stopped official autonomous driving testing in california since state law requires an annual report of system disengagement. waymo's 2018 report has them at about 1 disengagement per 11000 miles driven, gm's is around 5000 miles. tesla's last report with actual numbers was 2016 when they had 1 disengagement per 3 miles

another day another autopilot crash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWaz2jer8Ek&t=134s

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Apr 24, 2019

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Endless Mike posted:

apparently tesla has stopped official autonomous driving testing in california since state law requires an annual report of system disengagement. waymo's 2018 report has them at about 1 disengagement per 11000 miles driven, gm's is around 5000 miles. tesla's last report with actual numbers was 2016 when they had 1 disengagement per 3 miles

i feel like theres a lesson about underdamped control systems here

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Endless Mike posted:

lol that coulda gone so much worse, oof

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

sign says to slow down but they're for cowards :shrug:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
at least the wipers work

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Wheany posted:

it's more like 24-25 times

which is p good for a vehicle that can hold like 70 people

also they go out of their way to mitigate the damage by making the bus pads - where they park at each stop - out of full-depth concrete, even on otherwise asphalt roads

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

It's hard to explain but the driving in that video looks weird, like it goes too slow, then speeds up too much, and sometimes turns a little more abruptly than a human would. Glad to know I get to share the road with these things.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

MomJeans420 posted:

It's hard to explain but the driving in that video looks weird, like it goes too slow, then speeds up too much, and sometimes turns a little more abruptly than a human would. Glad to know I get to share the road with these things.

what if goldfish drive car???

-elong musky

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

MomJeans420 posted:

the first time i’d ridden in one of uber’s self-driving cars it was like this. just a few months later it was much smoother and almost human. good to know tesla is worse than where uber was years ago especially considering uber has given up on testing on public roads.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
lol why would you use autopilot on a mountain road

also i wonder if thats mt diablo

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

what if goldfish drive car???

-elong musky

more like a fruit fly

the thing has like a 10-frame rolling memory or something

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

i feel like theres a lesson about underdamped control systems here

according to the description and comments, the driver took back control by turning the wheel when they realized the autopilot was gonna send them off the cliff

when they turned the wheel, the car turned off autopilot...and helpfully turned the regular cruise control back on, to whatever speed it had been set to before autopilot was engaged, which was faster than the speed autopilot had been driving at

the driver, unprepared for the unexpected acceleration, overcorrected steered it into the cliff

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

hahaha oh my god

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
lmao. this poo poo should be massively illegal but nobody gives a gently caress about cars killing people