Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

mandatory lesbian posted:

Also incredibly stupid, like imagine you're doing things that are obviously abuse and yet think it's a good idea to catalog literally every abusive act on a public website
they don't care because the worse they are the more money they get

also a good thread summary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

i never realised how perfect a match youtube poo poo is for narcissists living vicariously through their children though. drat. i bet they absolutely loving love that it's public too

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Spatial posted:

i never realised how perfect a match youtube poo poo is for narcissists living vicariously through their children though. drat. i bet they absolutely loving love that it's public too

Their kids don't even have to be good at anything either unlike twitch.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

alphabettitouretti posted:

Hey buddy they signed up to put their whole lives on youtube. What are they supposed to do, NOT film themselves traumatising their child so they can post it online for a share of advertising money?

That kid knew the life they were in for when they signed up :colbert:

I mean I think they did, they were like 3 so they just kinda drew a picture of a dog with finger paint on the contract but you could tell what they meant.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Capitalism dot... mov I guess:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_SPObVT32E

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

Look at this absolute propaganda

Year 1 data only has 1 data point and it is "France, $1050 GDP per capita."

Yeah motherfuckers? You know what the GDP per capita in the Roman province of Gaul was????

Probably, yes?

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
$1050 GDP per capita in real terms for Gallic peasants seems a bit high to be honest

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jerry Cotton posted:

Probably, yes?

What's the GDP value of taxes paid in kind at harvest season? What's the end value of the roads built (gov't investment)? What's the purchasing power of a Denarius relative to the USD and how is it compared? At least in 1 AD the standard was 3.9 grams of silver per coin I suppose.

It's just a nonsense metric for what is being measured. I bet if I dug into their sources it would all be based on a collection of merchant ledgers that has nothing to do with actual GDP and was mis-cited by people trying to push a narrative.

In a nutshell, if GDP is a measurement of the total monetary value of final goods and services produced by an economy then using it to measure an economy which utilizes a lot of forms of exchange outside of currency is going to lead to wonky results.

There's also the absurdity of taking data from Gaul in 1 AD and then another data point from some European country in 1500 and saying "aha see, this is world GDP." Really? What about Imperial China? How was Mansa Musa (14th c) probably the richest person to have ever lived including today's billionaires? What was Mali's GDP per capita then?

quote:

[wrt Mansa Musa]
One of the richest people in history,[10] he is known to have been enormously wealthy; reported as being inconceivably rich by contemporaries, Time magazine reported: "There's really no way to put an accurate number on his wealth."[11]

To be a little pedantic; if there's no way to put an accurate number on his inconceivable wealth you might as well say it is effectively infinite which means Mali's GDP per capita in the 14th c was also effectively infinite. Chart that data point. I'm sure their median income was not so awesome though.

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 19:07 on Apr 24, 2019

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Uhhh, this owns.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

GDP is a completely meaningless metric at any point before the industrial era and even then it's still varying levels of dumb and misleading

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
drat false advertising

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/KPRC2/status/1012692459921526784

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

drat that's a huge blow to trump tower

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

gently caress this country straight to hell

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

To be fair in a lot of regions of america taco bell is the only mexican restaurant.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
I mean, it's not really a fair poll. If the poll was nationwide it's not like some local family owned Mexican restaurant would win. All those votes just tie or whatever and Taco Bell wins because it's everywhere.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

quote:

Each person was asked to rate a total of 40 randomly selected brands. The study gave participants six options: Taco Bell, Chipotle, Moe's Southwest Grill, Qdoba, Baja Fresh, and Del Taco, Delish reports.

Chipotle is the only nationwide chain other than taco bell there and even then its nowhere near as ubiquitous.

edit: looks like qdoba is in all 50 states too, they don't seem to be nearly as common in the midwest as chipotle

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Americans vote #TacoBell as the 'Best Mexican Restaurant of 2018

quote:

The study gave participants six options: Taco Bell, Chipotle, Moe's Southwest Grill, Qdoba, Baja Fresh, and Del Taco

This I claim, *sniff* is how democratic capitalism today functions. We are given the choice, but increasingly we are not able to participate in creating the framework of the choices given to us. *wipes shirt*

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

everyone deserves the feeling of fat pussy energy sometimes even if they don't have a fat pussy imo

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Feranon posted:

everyone deserves the feeling of fat pussy energy sometimes even if they don't have a fat pussy imo

So it's like a fauxlva.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

moes is a national chain? i figured they were local because they were the official something of the new England patriots according to a sign i saw on the door of the one I've been in

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Screaming Idiot posted:

So it's like a fauxlva.

More like a sham-el toe

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Alucard posted:

More like a sham-el toe
synthesis:
camelfaux

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

there we go

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Anyone see Progressive's new slate of ads basically shaming 20-somethings into getting off their parents' insurance by insinuating there's some sort of "failure to launch" going on if you're on their plan past age 18?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Lu7QlfCRzY

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Deified Data posted:

Anyone see Progressive's new slate of ads basically shaming 20-somethings into getting off their parents' insurance by insinuating there's some sort of "failure to launch" going on if you're on their plan past age 18?

Thanks, I hate it.

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

Stop acting like a baby and buy our grossly unregulated product! Spend money you don't have on something you don't need or want like a responsible adult! Your money should be our money by now! NO FAIR! NO FAIR! NO FAIR! MMMMOOOMMMM! :qq:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Deified Data posted:

I see they cloned a young John Oliver for the commercial.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Deified Data posted:

Incredibly powerful Boomer energy radiating off this video

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

the LIBERALS duck except he's saying MILLENNIALS MILLENNIALS MILLENNIALS MILLENNIALS MILLENNIALS

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Deified Data posted:

Esurance kicked my sister and I off our dad's plan, probably because we didnt actually live together, but my car with him was like $60/mo and its 200+ on my own.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Larry Parrish posted:

Esurance kicked my sister and I off our dad's plan, probably because we didnt actually live together, but my car with him was like $60/mo and its 200+ on my own.

What's the matter? Didn't wanna man up?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

landlords.txt

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/apr/07/evicted-poverty-and-profit-in-the-american-city-matthew-desmond-review

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
That article makes me feel some type of way but mostly

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Moridin920 posted:

That article makes me feel some type of way but mostly

I feel society hasn't learnt poo poo. French class revolution, Chinese class revolution. How old were each nation (in real terms)? Probably a few hundred years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Deified Data posted:

Well, it's a failed state if you need more than the public health insurance.