Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

GreyjoyBastard posted:

there's a chance LTTE mk 2 might bomb foreigners for giggles, but the somewhat more likely alternative i'd propose is that there are some really terrible reactionary buddhist sinhalese garbage who hate foreigners and christians only marginally less than they hate tamils and muslims

it would not be outside of the realm of possibility for those horrid shitfuckers to do this

i'd put the odds at very roughly equal to furrin islamists - although a contributing factor to the latter is that Pakistan has occasionally used SL as an intermediate stop for money and personnel for intelligence-adjacent fuckery in India

have there been any other attacks on christians and foreigners by buddhists like this? thats definitely possible, would be a huge escalation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I haven't heard a word about Sri Lanka in several years, especially people targeting foreigners

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

have there been any other attacks on christians and foreigners by buddhists like this? thats definitely possible, would be a huge escalation

There have been no attacks like this, no.

The buddhist nationalist fuckers have thrown a couple anti-Muslim pogroms, a couple smaller mob attacks on Christians, and several arsons. Major bombings would be a new development.

Afaik they preach against foreigners but haven't attacked them in any sort of organized way (a couple random assaults).

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

i say swears online posted:

I haven't heard a word about Sri Lanka in several years, especially people targeting foreigners

Gah, my post decided to erase itself.

Until today, the most exciting recent developments were some genuinely hilarious parliamentary intrigue, and the return of Gotobaya Warcrimes Rajapaksa from his extended vacation in the US. He's looking to run for president, and I'm not particularly looking forward to his take on the bombings.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

quote:

• A top police official alerted security officials in an advisory 10 days ago about a threat to churches from a radical Islamist group, National Thowheeth Jama’ath. But it was unclear what safeguards, if any, were taken, or if in the end the group played any role in the violence. And on Sunday, reflecting frictions within the government, the prime minister pointedly said he had not been informed.

National Thowheeth Jama’ath appears to be a Tamil islamist group.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

National Thowheeth Jama’ath appears to be a Tamil islamist group.

that name sounds familiar

it's about 7am Monday over there so news might start happening

edit:

quote:

The Sri Lankan government has blocked most social media services, including Facebook and WhatsApp. Officials said the platforms were blocked in a bid to slow the spread of misinformation, and it would extend until a government investigation into the attack was complete.

Goatse James Bond has issued a correction as of 03:38 on Apr 22, 2019

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

quote:

“He told us that the Indian intelligence had conveyed threats of possible attacks, two possible dates were mentioned April 4 and 11,” Rahman said. “Part of the problem is since the Oct. 26 coup, the prime minister has not been invited to the security council meetings, so we don’t know what is being discussed,” he added.

Police arrested 13 people in connection with the bombings, and three police officers were killed during a raid at a suspect’s house.

Rahman added that the suspects are “all locals” belonging to a “local network.”

if the bit about Indian Intelligence is accurate that might be a bit more support for the NTJ theory - they're a chapter of an originally Indian organization. Although they're shitheads in terms of their social views, I don't think they've ever been violent before.

But that's still all very speculative at this point.

There have been at least two known reprisal attacks on Sri Lankan Muslims - I don't know anything about the details and severity. Concerns about this is probably a big part of why the government shut down a lot of social media although VPNs are common lol

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 25 days!)

Trump is suspending all the waivers for countries to import Iranian oil in an effort to get their exports down to 0, but Turkey and China have already told us to go gently caress ourselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0KTa2uSRro

Very cool. You love to see it.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

cant wait to see what sanctions we will surely put on turkey over this

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Did we yank the F35 contract with them or was that just bluster?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Nothus posted:

Did we yank the F35 contract with them or was that just bluster?

the air defense system they want is probably a much better product anyway

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

40-ish Sri Lankans have been detained in relation to the Sri Lanka attacks.

The government seems to be officially-ish blaming National Thowheed Jamath, not necessarily to be confused with Tamil Nadu's NTJ, and a splitoff (for reasons I do not know) from Sri Lanka Thowheed Jamath. SLTJ, while Wahhabi-leaning ideological assholes, has historically been nonviolent-ish, which is presumably part of why the feds went "wait, what?" and are pretty darn sure there was international coordination / involvement / resource contribution. There's apparently another lovely local group the government thinks is also involved, the "Jamaat-ul-Mujahideen India linked to a similar organization in Bangladesh." The claimed motive for the attack seems to be retaliation for the Christchurch mosque attacks.

IS has gotten around to officially claiming responsibility, but that doesn't necessarily mean they were the international dudes involved - they've claimed responsibility for stuff they didn't do in the past.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/eshaLegal/status/1120775376081424384

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

https://twitter.com/business/status/1121130624776056833?s=19

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lmao

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

how does haftar simultaneously have a bruce campbell chin and also no chin. weird!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I have a dark Kokoro wish for Haftar to unite Libya. Just to see all the idiots who supported bombing under Obama try to thread the needle for Libya being a "success," because cheeto benito drumpf gave the thumbs up to a literal CIA asset

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

our ally

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
There's something darkly humorous about Libya falling to the military acumen of the guy who had previously lost to Chad Toyotas.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Apparently al-Baghdadi is still alive?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/lizziedearden/status/1122941010470940672

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/ZoeTillman/status/1121875917461184513
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQo1HIcSVtg

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Whats going on with that beard

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Kurtofan posted:

Whats going on with that beard

henna

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Oh i didnt know people put henna in beards

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/IRHotTakes/status/1125212259255554050

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

this would be a loving disaster for America, right?

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Smirking_Serpent posted:

this would be a loving disaster for America, right?

a disaster for 320 million americans, and an opportunity for a couple dozen shareholders

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

There are always aircraft carriers in the middle east.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

I've been worrying about this for awhile.

Politically, it's the best time for them to bait Iran to try to close Hormuz. If my fears come true, it'll be naval fuckery or they'll probably hit some recently designated "terrorist" revolutionary guard targets, and keep doing it, waiting for Iran to attack planes as justification for a larger retaliation. There's a lot of arguments for it if you're a total imbecile or sociopath. Both of which run the administration, especially looking at Venezuela.

At the least Israel, KSA, & UAE have been lobbying USA for air strikes for a decade. After Syria, Israel is especially emboldened to strike Iranian assets.

They've been working for months to get Saudi/UAE to offset Iranian production as they were waiting for the final waivers to expire (good to note that Iran doesn't refine). That minimizes the perceived impact to supply, even when prices go up. (There's still "illicit trade" that's affected like China & Turkey - Iran. But US policy would be to ignore it, anyway, so "gently caress 'em.") An attack would drive up prices and, provided that Saudi/UAE infrastructure is OK and they're able to control Iranian interference with oil supply chain, which is something they would bet on from idiotic overconfidence. So here assuming "the plan works", Saudi, UAE, and insurance companies pocket $ with the world footing the bill.

I'm sure Trump wants the distraction, too. Whatever battle at sea/air would be an American victory and that's all he would care about.

France & UK are too busy to care. Russia benefits. Only China pays some price, which is punishment for even working with Iran.

Congress would do fuckall. If you frame the war as retaliation, I'm sure republicans & most congressional dems would support it thanks to foreign influence. I have 0 faith in Dem leadership here.

E: Bibi just won and probably feels like he has a mandate. He can finally deliver what Israel has wanted for a decade. MBS is, well, a complete idiot with 0 foresight.

guidoanselmi has issued a correction as of 09:04 on May 6, 2019

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
"we sent an aircraft carrier somewhere" doesn't mean much these days

barely even qualifies as dick-waving

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/FT/status/1125446312026046466

https://twitter.com/FT/status/1125687384266428418

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

let me guess, erdogans party lost that one

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

let me guess, erdogans party lost that one

CHP, opponents of Erdogan's AKP and founded by Ataturk, won in Istanbul and Ankara after PKK or whatever told all the kurds to vote for CHP instead of the kurdish parties. Interestingly the dude I read who covers Turkey says that Erdogan was prepared to let this slide but that his ally even further to the right wouldn't stand for the kurds having this sort of influence so he forced Erdogan's hand.

Syncopated has issued a correction as of 16:23 on May 7, 2019

THS
Sep 15, 2017

isnt the CHP even worse to kurds than the AKP or is the PKK trying to do some dimensional chess

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

THS posted:

isnt the CHP even worse to kurds than the AKP or is the PKK trying to do some dimensional chess

AKP has been in a coalition with the much more vehemently anti-Kurd fascist party MHP to stay in power, which pushes him to be completely uncompromising with Kurds. the CHP of course hasnt been exactly good to the Kurds, but this is basically a tactical alliance to try and take down a greater evil.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Syncopated posted:

CHP, opponents of Erdogan's AKP and founded by Ataturk, won in Istanbul and Ankara after PKK or whatever told all the kurds to vote for CHP instead of the kurdish parties. Interestingly the dude I read who covers Turkey says that Erdogan was prepared to let this slide but that his ally even further to the right wouldn't stand for the kurds having this sort of influence so he forced Erdogan's hand.

that seems pretty dumb on erdogans part, this kind of alliance never ends well

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Does Erdogan strike you as a smart man?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THS
Sep 15, 2017

i mean he’s definitely a very successful politician, or used to be