Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Simpsons Reference posted:

I'd take Hoskins and the roster spot

agreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I want the Hoskins side of that

unless it's a super deep league and you are desperate for a 2B. But even then you could probably do better than Schoop

e: It's not a laughably unfair trade, and if you are the Rizzo/Schoop owner, go ahead and offer it, they might accept.

The Pussy Boss fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Apr 23, 2019

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

DGladding posted:

My take would be a little different.

Since the rest of the league is putting a tremendous value on RP because they want those K rates and SV+HLD, I would try and win the other categories. They're just as valuable, but because starters have been getting hammered in the early going (not just starters BTW, of which you're fully aware as a LeClerc owner) their perceived value is lower in your format.

I would try and get as many high k innings eaters as I could and then try and hit on 8th inning guys and punt saves if I had to. Seems like the better bet given your existing team, league's perceptions, etc. But do you man. Just my .02, I don't like that deal for you.

Every good reliever is taken in my league and most teams still have several very good starters. Trying to win innings and quality starts at the expense of 6 rate stats seems like a bad idea to me.

I agree that I have cold feet on Murphy and I will try to get a better deal for my starters, but this is a competitive league and my trade options feel restricted.

DGladding
Apr 2, 2019

I have high apple pie in the sky hopes.

fawning deference posted:

Every good reliever is taken in my league and most teams still have several very good starters. Trying to win innings and quality starts at the expense of 6 rate stats seems like a bad idea to me.

I agree that I have cold feet on Murphy and I will try to get a better deal for my starters, but this is a competitive league and my trade options feel restricted.

My take has always been if you are negotiating from a position (or perception) of weakness, you've lost and are only making your team worse by trading.

What you want to do is negotiate from a position of strength, even if you need to flip the table to get there.

If that's totally impossible than it's the wrong time to trade and you need to make a partner with the wire where it makes sense.

If all the 8th inning guys who get heavy k/9 are gone than scoop up some high k/9 relievers who aren't getting holds right now but could move up. They can't possibly have every one of these guys.

DGladding fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 23, 2019

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I drafted Rizzo for years, never again

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

DGladding posted:

My take has always been if you are negotiating from a position (or perception) of weakness, you've lost and are only making your team worse by trading.

What you want to do is negotiate from a position of strength, even if you need to flip the table to get there.

If that's totally impossible than it's the wrong time to trade and you need to make a partner with the wire where it makes sense.

If all the 8th inning guys who get heavy k/9 are gone than scoop up some high k/9 relievers who aren't getting holds right now but could move up. They can't possibly have every one of these guys.

I have good relievers already. Unfortunately, Betances and Burdi both have long term injuries. You have a good point regarding leverage though.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Thank you

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

I really hope this Christian Walker dude is for real.

I am not sure how much stock to put into it, but he has the hardest hit ball rate in the league.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Doltos posted:

I drafted Rizzo for years, never again
I quit him this year after having him for the past five. Last year he was just so slump-prone and it seemed like a trend to me.

Chris Davis has been outperforming him lately. Dropping Rizzo for Chris Davis and it actually working is about the funniest thing I can think of.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Kikuchi and Darvish are both droppable, right?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I don’t know what his role will be but I went ahead and added Justus Sheffield to my team because he’s coming up Friday.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Rand alPaul posted:

Kikuchi and Darvish are both droppable, right?

Kikuchi in redraft, sure. They’re gonna limit his innings with some opener shenanigans and the upside isn’t there.

Darvish I still feel is working his way back into form and could be a plus pitcher in any format. But if he’s trying your patience and a better SP is out there it’s not crazy to drop him.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Fast Luck posted:

I quit him this year after having him for the past five. Last year he was just so slump-prone and it seemed like a trend to me.

Chris Davis has been outperforming him lately. Dropping Rizzo for Chris Davis and it actually working is about the funniest thing I can think of.

Yeah I have no idea how he produces stats each year when it seems like he's in a perpetual slump

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
I’ve never owned Rizzo but that year he was second base elg was pretty funny.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

It's super cool that I have shares of Alvarado and Diego Castillo everywhere and something called an Emilio Pagan has saves in back to back games.

gently caress pitching.

ElectricRelaxation
Aug 21, 2007
Is a platoon of Christian Walker, Miguel Cabrera, and Matt Olson good enough to cover 1B in a 12 team league? It was an autodraft so the computer didn't pick one until late, and I'm currently dead last in RBI and near there in HR. I have some decent trade pieces, but no one's biting now and I'm wondering if I can just wait. It'd also be real nice if Kluber and Nola could get right soon. Thanks!

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
I'm probably dropping Miggy soon since a) even when he was hitting homers the last few years he was only on pace for like 25. b) his sprint speed is sub Bartolo Colon slow so he's not going to be getting a lot of runs. and c)the Tigers offense sucks. So he has limited upside.

And Matt Olson is one of the best platoon guys out there. Just bench him against lefties.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

yourdadsbestfriend posted:

Is a platoon of Christian Walker, Miguel Cabrera, and Matt Olson good enough to cover 1B in a 12 team league? It was an autodraft so the computer didn't pick one until late, and I'm currently dead last in RBI and near there in HR. I have some decent trade pieces, but no one's biting now and I'm wondering if I can just wait. It'd also be real nice if Kluber and Nola could get right soon. Thanks!

You may be playing 1B roulette the rest of the year. I like Walker, but I am not sure how he holds up. Miggy is 36 and on the decline phase of his career, so you can't expect much from him. Olson is :geno:.

I just don't think anyone has a definitive answer for you. Maybe it's just me, but I do find 1B not as deep/good as other years, so I do think other teams are feeling this.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Everyone in Detroit keeps saying Miggy is going to regain his power stroke and is just rusty. I've been watching the games and he has a good eye and still makes contact but just hits bloopers now. I hope he's not Joe Mauer. He had a ruptured biceps and two bulging discs in his back, that has to kill the power.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Twin Cinema posted:

You may be playing 1B roulette the rest of the year. I like Walker, but I am not sure how he holds up. Miggy is 36 and on the decline phase of his career, so you can't expect much from him. Olson is :geno:.

I just don't think anyone has a definitive answer for you. Maybe it's just me, but I do find 1B not as deep/good as other years, so I do think other teams are feeling this.

Walker might end up being this year's Aguilar. He strikes out too much to maintain his current line but the power is very much for real.

ElectricRelaxation
Aug 21, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

Yeah, I've noticed this, too. I think my options right now are to see if I can buy Votto for cheap, straight up offer Bogaerts for Abreu since I also have Lindor, or try to pry something out of the guy who owns Goldschmidt, Hoskins, and Bellinger. The main problem is that none of these guys will talk, so I have no idea where to start with negotiations.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
You're not wrong. Other than catcher, 1B is probably the shallowest position this year.

I would hold with Walker and hope. He was a pretty good prospect for power, so the HRs very much should be real. I wouldn't expect the avg to continue, though.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Inspector_666 posted:

Walker might end up being this year's Aguilar. He strikes out too much to maintain his current line but the power is very much for real.

Yes please :pray:

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

First base is shallow as gently caress (relative to the top tier) and has been for a while.

Votto is sitting on waivers in one of my pro leagues (12 team 5x5) and I'm in no hurry to pick him up. Father time comes for everyone eventually...

ElectricRelaxation
Aug 21, 2007
I really don't want to believe that Votto is done, he seems like too good a guy :( also I nabbed him as a value pick in my work league and good lord is that looking awful right now. At least I have Alonso in that one, but something about benching Votto for Alonso just feels... wrong.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

the_american_dream posted:

I’ve never owned Rizzo but that year he was second base elg was pretty funny.

The downside of that year is he didn't get second base eligibility til like halfway through the fantasy playoffs, at least in Yahoo. I remember checking that poo poo every day and it just never happening.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

What would a fantasy 1B ranking as of 4/24/2019 look like? Not counting guys who primarily play another position (Realmuto, Merrifield, Carp, etc)?

Goldschmidt
Freeman
Bellinger
Hoskins
Gallo
Alonso
Rizzo
Abreu
Muncy
Olson
Voit?
Vogelbach?
Aguilar?

Maybe your ranking is different, but there's like 6 guys I'd be happy with as my main 1B, when it's supposed to be one of the best hitting positions.

The Pussy Boss fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 24, 2019

ElectricRelaxation
Aug 21, 2007
I'd probably be happy with Goldschmidt, Freeman, Bellinger, Hoskins, and Abreu. Everyone else has huge holes in their game or is too young for me to want to rely on consistently. Alonso is killing it for me in a bunch of teams and I'm still a bit wary until I see what happens when pitchers adjust to him.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

The Pussy Boss posted:

What would a fantasy 1B ranking as of 4/24/2019 look like? Not counting guys who primarily play another position (Realmuto, Merrifield, Carp, etc)?

Goldschmidt
Freeman
Bellinger
Hoskins
Gallo
Alonso
Rizzo
Abreu
Muncy
Olson
Voit?
Vogelbach?
Aguilar?

Maybe your ranking is different, but there's like 6 guys I'd be happy with as my main 1B, when it's supposed to be one of the best hitting positions.

Voit's higher for me, and Olson is probably at the bottom until he comes back and shows the hamate injury didn't sap his power.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
both rizzo and votto are notoriously slow starters, i wouldn't be worried for another two or theee weeks yet and would be trying to buy low wherever possible

in other news, the gently caress andrew miller parade marches on

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Smoak has been reasonably good the past couple years, better if you're in an OBP league.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I haven't even had much to complain about with Rizzo because I am in a OBP league. Sure, for where I drafted him, he could be doing better, but he's not really an issue.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

yeah his BABIP is at .200, 85 points below his career average, but is still getting on base at a .362 clip. who is selling this show yourself coward

e: if votto were on my WW in a 12 teamer i would absolutely pick him up, especially if he's already cleared waivers. that seems like the most insanely low-risk buy low that I've ever seen. who could you possibly be stashing on your bench that you're looking at votto on the wire and are like nah I'm good? if your team is that stacked, I'd pick him up so no one else can have him and just put your drat foot on the gas

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 24, 2019

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
I currently have Miggy at 1B. Should I buy low on Votto or should I aim higher for an upgrade?

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

I don't think Votto is cooked yet, I'd absolutely pick him up or buy low.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

at the very least I'd much rather bet that miggy is dead than votto

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Cont Allen is demoted. The season of the Butt has begun.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The jerkass who stole Snell on the waivers from me picked up Buttrey 3 minutes ago, what a jerkass

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Buttrey is a jackass that cost me a week last season, I am going to root for Hansel just because holy gently caress his name is Hansel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Rand alPaul posted:

Buttrey is a jackass that cost me a week last season, I am going to root for Hansel just because holy gently caress his name is Hansel.

Hansel is so hot right now.