Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

If humans were cookies, I'd be the cookie monster.

Is the difference between the 5 series and 6 series 65" TCL significant enough to justify the couple hundred dollar price difference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I don't have any personal experience with either panel but I've heard multiple people confirm that the 6 is the good one and anything else is a panel lottery. Might just be an echo chamber of "I heard"s online, but there's something there.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Rtings says the 5 series doesn’t actually have a wide enough color gamut and high enough peak brightness to truly be HDR. The 6 does.

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

If humans were cookies, I'd be the cookie monster.

Gotcha, definitely springing for the 6 then.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

GreenNight posted:

Cuddle around your laptop or tablet.

I got a rental at Rent-A-Center for $50 total. I think this is one of the only circumstances where it’s okay to use Rent-A-Center.

EDIT: Even if Rent-A-Center somehow fucks us, unless they gently caress us out of $1000 we’re still spending less than we would’ve spent at Best Buy.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 24, 2019

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

What a heartwarming series of posts. Person asks what TV to buy then immediately buys suggested TV.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's also quite possibly the best looking TV available to consumers. May 8th is gonna be a fun day.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

A guy I talked to at Best Buy warned me to check and make sure this TV is genuine when we get it. He said all I have to do is google the serial number or look for it on LG’s website; if I get a hit on either, it’s genuine.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I was very much on the fence about OLED because of potential burn in and went with an X900f instead. I don't regret buying it, it's an amazing tv, but if I was buying now I'd probably go with the C8

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Isn’t the C9 out or almost out?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Ultimate Mango posted:

Isn’t the C9 out or almost out?

Yes and as a result the C8s are getting cheaper.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yeah the C9 is out right now. It's $3500.

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide

American McGay posted:

May 8th is gonna be a fun day.

what day is this

VVV Glorious. it'll be genuine, only thing i've read negative about those 3rd party services is the shipping. so just be extra vigilant for that process

703 fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 25, 2019

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The day I Am Gay gets his TV.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Yes. :smugmrgw:

I am excited. :snoop:

EDIT: I hope the Best Buy guy was wrong and the TV is genuine.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I don't think there's such a thing as not genuine TVs.

The main scam with TVs is sketchy websites will list the TV for like $2000 off of MSRP and you'll try to order it and it will come up as out of stock but if you call in and talk to a guy he can get you the E model which is only for European markets or something weird and convoluted like that.

If you're buying it from a seller on eBay it's legit. The only possible issue would be shipping but I haven't had any problems with it before.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

American McGay posted:

I don't think there's such a thing as not genuine TVs.

The main scam with TVs is sketchy websites will list the TV for like $2000 off of MSRP and you'll try to order it and it will come up as out of stock but if you call in and talk to a guy he can get you the E model which is only for European markets or something weird and convoluted like that.

If you're buying it from a seller on eBay it's legit. The only possible issue would be shipping but I haven't had any problems with it before.

Sweeeet

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Make me stop caring for no reason about the vertical banding on my OLED that is literally only visible on the grey test screen and basically never during regular content please.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's legit dude. The guy had stellar ratings. If it was some no name with zero rating I'd not have posted it. Just make sure you have someone else to help you unbox it and put it together. The TV is thin as hell and bends. You don't want to crack the glass screen.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Do I need to worry about this TV falling over? Cuz I have a cat that likes to sit in front of the TV sometimes and I’d hate for it to fall on him.

EDIT: ... I think I might be making up things to worry about.

\/\/\/ Okay cool

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Apr 25, 2019

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
lol no, it's quite sturdy.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I never even used the mount. Mine is bolted to my wall.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

I. M. Gei posted:

Do I need to worry about this TV falling over? Cuz I have a cat that likes to sit in front of the TV sometimes and I’d hate for it to fall on him.

EDIT: ... I think I might be making up things to worry about.

\/\/\/ Okay cool
Put a cucumber in front of the TV.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

TCL 43S515 $250 shipped - includes 30 day free trial of Sling TV.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

TCL 43S515 $250 shipped - includes 30 day free trial of Sling TV.

Awesome!

I have no idea where mine is right now. There’s some indication on the product page that eBay’s tracking system doesn’t take updates from this particular freight company for some reason. I hope it gets here soon though. I’m getting hyped!

Streebs
Dec 6, 2003

RIP
Shopping for a new TV, I think my room is big enough for a 65 inch so that's what I'm targeting. My price range is anything <$2000. Based on my research it looks like the LG C8 or B8 would be pretty amazing, if not OLED then the Sony X900F. This deal is looking pretty nice right now: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA9KB79W0147&Description=LG%20C8%2065%20inch&cm_re=LG_C8_65_inch-_-89-007-642-_-Product

Considering it's at best buy for $900 more. Should I wait for better deals now that the C9 is out and could drive the price even lower? Would it be wiser to just pull the trigger on a Sony X900F for $1699?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Fuuuuuuck that’s $100 less than what I paid

EDIT: Although the sales tax on mine ended up being only like 6 bucks. What the tax on this one, I wonder?

EDIT 2: THERE IS NO SALES TAX :negative:

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Apr 27, 2019

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I. M. Gei posted:

Fuuuuuuck that’s $100 less than what I paid

EDIT: Although the sales tax on mine ended up being only like 6 bucks. What the tax on this one, I wonder?

EDIT 2: THERE IS NO SALES TAX :negative:

Don't do this. There will always be cheaper. It happens. You're gonna get a gently caress awesome TV man.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

GreenNight posted:

Don't do this. There will always be cheaper. It happens. You're gonna get a gently caress awesome TV man.

Thanks.

To answer your question, Streebs, yes you should probably bite on that deal.

Streebs
Dec 6, 2003

RIP
Thanks for the advice guys, I pulled the trigger. Can't wait to get my new TV!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
How poo poo are the 43" Insignia Fire TVs that are going for $200ish these days?

My girlfriend didn't have a TV when she moved out of her parents' place, so I gave her one of my old 32" 720p Dynexes and a first-gen Fire TV stick. I'm considering one of the Insignias to replace that, so it really is not a high bar to clear. If it doesn't actively suck in some way it seems like it should be an upgrade across the board.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Streebs posted:

Thanks for the advice guys, I pulled the trigger. Can't wait to get my new TV!

:same:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

wolrah posted:

How poo poo are the 43" Insignia Fire TVs that are going for $200ish these days?

My girlfriend didn't have a TV when she moved out of her parents' place, so I gave her one of my old 32" 720p Dynexes and a first-gen Fire TV stick. I'm considering one of the Insignias to replace that, so it really is not a high bar to clear. If it doesn't actively suck in some way it seems like it should be an upgrade across the board.

It should be a little better than a Dynex.

bug chaser chaser
Dec 11, 2006

Bought a x900f in the fall and while its awesome I kind of wish I held out because these LG OLED deals are insane.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I really want to replace the TV in my bedroom, but I can’t afford another C8, and even if I could I’m pretty sure I don’t have enough space for a 65” TV. Maybe 50” or 55” tops, though 55” would be a stretch.

EDIT: Is this one any good?

EDIT 2: Or this one?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 29, 2019

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

I. M. Gei posted:

I really want to replace the TV in my bedroom, but I can’t afford another C8, and even if I could I’m pretty sure I don’t have enough space for a 65” TV. Maybe 50” or 55” tops, though 55” would be a stretch.

EDIT: Is this one any good?

EDIT 2: Or this one?

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tcl-55-class-led-6-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr-roku-tv/6204548.p?skuId=6204548

Enjoy your new TCL TV, my good friend.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
There are only 3 good TVs.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

What’s the display lag like on this one? I’m gonna use this TV to play video games, and the lag site in the OP doesn’t have an entry for the 615 (only the 617).

Also what’s the refresh rate like, because the same site shows the two TVs I posted have 120 Hz and I’d like something at least that fast if I can afford it?

EDIT: BestBuy.com answered the second question.

EDIT 2: And now apparently the C8 comes in 55” flavor.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Apr 29, 2019

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Our 8 year old 55” Panasonic Plasma died last night. RIP. Time for a new tv, preferably 65” with 3+ hdmi inputs and under $1,000.

We only care about nice video quality for movies+tv+gaming and a solid refresh rate/input lag rating for you guessed it, gaming. Smart tv features etc don’t matter. Is the TCL 6 series the best option? I can’t find anything close to that. My only concern is that my mom works at Target and says they have a massive amount of problems and returns with TCLs. Would I be right assuming that’s because they mostly carry the cheaper models?

e: Is the Vizio p series worth $200 more? Comparing them on rtings really does make the Vizio seem appealing. Maybe even a good bit better. Option paralysis ahhhh! Still leaning towards the TCL.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Apr 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

I. M. Gei posted:

What’s the display lag like on this one? I’m gonna use this TV to play video games, and the lag site in the OP doesn’t have an entry for the 615 (only the 617).

Also what’s the refresh rate like, because the same site shows the two TVs I posted have 120 Hz and I’d like something at least that fast if I can afford it?

EDIT: BestBuy.com answered the second question.

EDIT 2: And now apparently the C8 comes in 55” flavor.

The 615 and 617 are the same TV with different remotes. Refresh rate is 60hz. Input lag is very good, ~17ms for 1080p and ~19ms for 4K.