Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Kurieg posted:

Jay is apparently the result of a progenitor mage with a literal basement full of Fera in bacta tanks. And he managed to genetically engineer a garou-bastet hybrid. While fighting a bane in his (wolf)crinos form he got so angry he somehow also went bastet-crinos on top of it? He's still keeping the truth of what he is hidden from his pack so there hasn't been a real explanation.
share the physical description

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

Jay is apparently the result of a progenitor mage with a literal basement full of Fera in bacta tanks. And he managed to genetically engineer a garou-bastet hybrid. While fighting a bane in his (wolf)crinos form he got so angry he somehow also went bastet-crinos on top of it? He's still keeping the truth of what he is hidden from his pack so there hasn't been a real explanation.

It would be awkward to reveal yourself as the Fera equivalent of a magic eye puzzle.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Mors Rattus posted:

quote:

Rage flooded through Jay, reddening his vision.
He needed strength to defeat this thing that was threatening his companions. Help me! His mind howled. Help me kill my enemies! As if in answer to his call, new power suddenly filled him, replacing thought and reason . Jay groaned as his body shuddered, bones and muscle gaining bulk, fangs lengthening, thickening ...
Jay's brain whirled, trying to understand the changes in his body. but his new strength overpowered him, and his struggling reason disappeared into the primordial darkness of his subconscious.
The old Jay was gone. The new Jay flung himself at the Bane, long, saberlike teeth slavering as they prepared to dig into the enemy's throat.

Heidel, just struggling back to his feet, saw the change. He watched as the oddly altered Garou leaped onto the Bane, its weight driving the monster away from the bleeding form of one of those who had fallen, fangs and claws ripping into membranous tissue.
The hulking Garou's hind claws were locked into the Bane's stomach, holding his body in place while steely front claws and foot-long fangs rent everything before him.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

lazy, where is my catwolf monstrosity, writer

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Please don't encourage the writers to go on about how buff their cat-wolf-man uniquely special protagonist is. This will lead only to tears.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Rand Brittain posted:

Please don't encourage the writers to go on about how buff their cat-wolf-man uniquely special protagonist is. This will lead only to tears.

you don't understand, I need this

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

you don't understand, I need this

Okay, I apologize. You do you.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

He also immediately fell in love with literally the first kinfolk woman he saw, and she with him. So much so she's basically pledging her life to him after knowing him for about 3 days, of which they were only conscious and in each other's presence for about 3 hours.

Aw. He didn't... Primal Attraction her, did he?

Dammit Who?
Aug 30, 2002

may microbes, bacilli their tissues infest
and tapeworms securely their bowels digest

Mors Rattus posted:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

yes

perfect

the ultimate killing machine

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

lazy, where is my catwolf monstrosity, writer

Well, the book is ramping up to the climax on page *checks* 268 of 436. I'm pretty sure there's going to be a moneyshot somewhere in here.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The legendary Double Crinos... How could that clown Carrot beat me to it!!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

quote:

Jay growled at Kevin, the sound growing lower,
more powerful.
Then Jay was gone, swallowed by his rage. In his
place stood a twelve-foot-long, tawny cat, saberteeth
already thrusting toward Kevin's throat.
Dr. Caldwell laughed with delight when Jay
shifted into his cat form. "Wonderful!" He moved
as close to the battle as possible, studying the tawny
figure." A Smilodon! That's incredible!"
The mage turned and pulled open a chest of
equipment leaning against one of the containers.
"Hold him, Kevin, while I get a camera!" There was
a loud crunch, then the sound of something hitting
the floor.
"Don't hurt him, Kevin!" The scientist turned,
touching controls on a mult i-function video
camera. "I want to study him!"
There was a roar of fury. "Oh my!" Caldwell
found himself staring into the green eyes of the
great cat, crouched on top of the still-twitching
remains of Kevin.
"Oh my," the mage said again, taking a slow step
backward.
The beast that had been Jay roared again, louder
this time, then moved toward the mage, stubby tail
twitching, blood dripping off razor-sharp teeth .
This is the world's dumbest Progenitor.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Not only is he half-Bastet, he's half-Khara. Ha ha ha.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

A note to future authors. A gigantic five-way scrum between pentex, Gaian Garou, non-gaian Garou, black spiral dancers, and a progenitor mage is precisely the wrong place to start switching back and forth between several POV characters and dropping the names and tragic backstories of drat near every single pentex field team member that's getting their poo poo pounded in by the main character's rank 7 fetish staff.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Kurieg posted:

Gaian Garou, non-gaian Garou, black spiral dancers

...what are the middle ones, just cyberwolves?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

A Shadow Lord who's thrown in his clout with the progenitor and is raising lost cubs as his own personal strike team. Hoping to use the progenitor's research to shore up the Garou's flagging numbers.

quote:

"All right," the Colonel relented. "I'll tell you."
He turned to Aaron. "What's the biggest problem
in Garou society today?"
The Silver Fang shrugged. "Inbreeding. With the
wild lands disappearing-and the lupus, like Eater
here, going with them-we're losing our balance."
"Exactly," the Colonel agreed. "We're losin' the
fight against civilization, stagnatin' in our little
enclaves."
"What does that have to do with your Progenitor
friend?"
Sweet smiled. "Dr. Caldwell was workin' on a
way to solve the stagnation problem." He leaned
forward. "He has managed to isolate the Garou
gene, then implant it in a fertilized ovum."
"That means ... "
"New blood. Garou that are strong, focused."
Sweet locked eyes with Eater-of-Bears. "Garou like
Jay."
"You mean ... "
"Yes," the Colonel nodded. "Jay is the result of
one of Caldwell's experiments."
"I cannot believe that." Eater-of-Bears turned
away, shaken. "Jay No-Name is Garou, not some
Wyrm-spawned experiment!"
At least I'm pretty sure he's a shadow lord. The impossibly articulate Red Talon automatically assumes he's a Shadow Lord and he doesn't correct her.

Also :lol: at the Silver Fang being the one flippantly tossing out Inbreeding as the garou nation's biggest problem.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 24, 2019

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Kurieg posted:

So I picked up Call to Battle: The Saga of Jay No-Name on a dare. Jay jut got so angry he went double-crinos.

He also immediately fell in love with literally the first kinfolk woman he saw, and she with him. So much so she's basically pledging her life to him after knowing him for about 3 days, of which they were only conscious and in each other's presence for about 3 hours.

I've longed for a book barn reading of this for ages.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Okay, so it seems like people mostly agree with me on Contagion Chronicle, then. (It basically seems like it has many of the negatives of an old-school metaplot but also kind of fails to bring any of the advantages.)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Ironslave posted:

I've longed for a book barn reading of this for ages.

I'm tempted to toss something in Fatal and Friends.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Kurieg posted:

I'm tempted to toss something in Fatal and Friends.

You should do it. It was one of the weirdest reads I had to do.

I might even join you with a reread of As One Dead, the single worst oWoD story I have ever read (at least until Swedracula's incoherent Full rear end Rape Stiffness). And as I've read all of them... That's saying something.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kurieg posted:

A Shadow Lord who's thrown in his clout with the progenitor and is raising lost cubs as his own personal strike team. Hoping to use the progenitor's research to shore up the Garou's flagging numbers.

At least I'm pretty sure he's a shadow lord. The impossibly articulate Red Talon automatically assumes he's a Shadow Lord and he doesn't correct her.

Also :lol: at the Silver Fang being the one flippantly tossing out Inbreeding as the garou nation's biggest problem.
To be fair to the Talon, I had the impression that a Talon talking in wolf-talk or the Garou language would be perfectly articulate, if maybe not prone to being abstract. They're not stupid, they're just not human.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Nessus posted:

To be fair to the Talon, I had the impression that a Talon talking in wolf-talk or the Garou language would be perfectly articulate, if maybe not prone to being abstract. They're not stupid, they're just not human.

quote:

"Pentex is what the humans call a conglomorate." Eater-of-Bears stumbled over the pronunciation. "They control a lot of other companies-including the sugar factories that are destroying the Everglades."

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Loomer posted:

I might even join you with a reread of As One Dead, the single worst oWoD story I have ever read (at least until Swedracula's incoherent Full rear end Rape Stiffness). And as I've read all of them... That's saying something.

Which story/book was the one that had Vampire Jesus, as in actual Yeshua the Nazarene? Was that one entertainingly bad or, aside from that detail, just bad?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Jhet posted:

Let's take another example, because Chicago has been used a lot. Most people who live here would take a look at most of the WoD/ChonD stuff with Chicago in it and go... that doesn't seem like Chicago. Because it's a fictionalized imagining of it. I haven't read the Odense stuff, and probably never will unless someone buys it for me (I don't need a book for crossover stuff, ChronD's toolbox works well enough without it).

But the point is valid for most any of the settings. They're not going to really feel like where-ever it is, and that's kind of a blessing. No one would want a Chicago that is largely okay for a large city, excepting for some areas with more flashpoint violence. It's too boring for a world of darkness, and it's much more fun to have ties to gangsters from the 20s and ties to organized crime (honestly, I only read half of the VtR stuff from the book), and slimy politicians and police and gang violence. But when you start to get closer to real world Chicago it just starts to get a little too depressing to play a game about darkness in, because it's not play-horror, just the real sort of horrible.

So I hope they keep making terrible generalizations about Chicago and all the other real-cities as dark settings. Really, I hope they ham it up a bit. Make it so people can have fun playing a horror game about ghosts and vampires and wizards, etc...

On the flipside, NWoD Hunter 1e was set in Philly, and it's pretty spot-on as a place full of horrors and assholes :v:

source: i've lived here my whole life

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

I Am Just a Box posted:

Which story/book was the one that had Vampire Jesus, as in actual Yeshua the Nazarene? Was that one entertainingly bad or, aside from that detail, just bad?

That was one of the Dark Destiny collections and it was, on the whole, entertaining but not great. All three of the Dark Destiny collections are like that, actually - bad but fun enough to justify reading a story now and then, since it gives you things like Literal Vampire Jesus Rejects Christianity Because He's Jewish, Remember and Vampire Hunter Sherman Burns Atlanta to Fight Dracula's Invasion of Georgia.

EDIT:
gently caress I'm tempted sometimes to just do an in-universe newspaper by a Malkavian where all the articles and headlines are things like that.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The best part of As One Dead is a vampire forcing another vampire's mouth open by punching her nose. You know, so she'll have to open her mouth to breathe.

There's a lot of dumb poo poo in OWoD novels but not being clear on the concept of what a vampire even is, well, that's pretty up there.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Yeah, that's why it gets its coveted status as the dead worst. It's not just a bad novel - virtually all the white wolf ones are, even if it's in a fun trashy way (the Jyhad ones are kings of this - terrible, absurd, and self-aware of it. They put a methuselah's lair under loving Disneyland!) - but one that so fundamentally fails to understand its basic subject matter while leaning in to the worst archetypes and tropes of 90s YA fiction and openly talking about in-game stats that it transcends bad and becomes a work of the most incredible stupidity and incompetence, the Plan 9 of White Wolf novels.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

wait

it talks

about stats

it talks about stats

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Yeah, when it talks about Generation at one point it literally talks about it as a stat - something along the lines of 'Generation 7 is stronger than Generation 9, so Bianca ignored it!' No attempt to dress it as anything else, just straight up as a stat. IIRC it's even spelled out as 'generation seven' rather than 'seventh generation'.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Mors Rattus posted:

wait

it talks

about stats

it talks about stats
Some of the power stuff would probably be quantifiable, like Sphere levels or something. (I remember some bitchy sidebar about how the Traditions disrespected a guy with 6 spheres at 3, but hailed a guy with 1 sphere at 4, even though the first one is probably "more powerful") Or Discipline levels, though I imagine they would be like "ah you've gotten the fourth attainment of the protean art, that's why you flew in my loving window" and you wouldn't be able to tell Fortitude or Potence except comparatively.

Loomer posted:

Yeah, when it talks about Generation at one point it literally talks about it as a stat - something along the lines of 'Generation 7 is stronger than Generation 9, so Bianca ignored it!' No attempt to dress it as anything else, just straight up as a stat. IIRC it's even spelled out as 'generation seven' rather than 'seventh generation'.
lmao what spectacularly lovely books

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Loomer posted:

They put a methuselah's lair under loving Disneyland!

This loving owns though.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Slimnoid posted:

This loving owns though.

Yeah, that's why the Jyhad novels are the kings of trashy but fun. Mongol biker vampire slaughtering his way through Tampa's undead as part of a Methuselah's feud, culminating in a battle between a Singing Toreador who inspired the legend of Melpomene and an ancient Ventrue who manipulated Walt Disney into building him a fortress in the form of the Magic Kingdom? Amazing. It's so over the top that you can't help but laugh, and it's clearly deliberate. RAGE had a similar deal with its novels, including the one where a pack of young stargazers no joke save the town from the Wyrm by winning the big game!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Loomer posted:

Yeah, that's why the Jyhad novels are the kings of trashy but fun. Mongol biker vampire slaughtering his way through Tampa's undead as part of a Methuselah's feud, culminating in a battle between a Singing Toreador who inspired the legend of Melpomene and an ancient Ventrue who manipulated Walt Disney into building him a fortress in the form of the Magic Kingdom? Amazing. It's so over the top that you can't help but laugh, and it's clearly deliberate. RAGE had a similar deal with its novels, including the one where a pack of young stargazers no joke save the town from the Wyrm by winning the big game!

S....Stargazers...sports???

....1st edition is vastly different from revised....

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Another one of the werewolf books culminated in a giant wraith-powered tornado obliterating the Vegas strip. It was named Hell Storm, and is mostly about Giovanni farting around in the desert and then, I wanna say, Sam Haight messing around as a supporting mentor character for a werewolf? Somehow?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Loomer posted:

I forgot there were even RAGE novels.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

I forgot there were even RAGE novels.

Call to Battle is a RAGE novel, and the first book in a trilogy.
there were no other books in the trilogy. It ends rather sloppily on a cliffhanger too

Lost_Heretic
Feb 16, 2016

Kurieg posted:

Call to Battle is a RAGE novel, and the first book in a trilogy.
there were no other books in the trilogy. It ends rather sloppily on a cliffhanger too

Earlier today I thought, "White Wolf must have axed the Jay No Name trilogy because it was so poorly received."

But then I realized it was only ended because Rage stopped production in 1996. Otherwise White Wolf really would have published another two books of that garbage...

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

What are the various Jyhad books? Because this all sounds loving magical and I need to have read it yesterday. Heck, while we're on the topic what other WoD or CoD books are a fun read?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

xanthan posted:

What are the various Jyhad books? Because this all sounds loving magical and I need to have read it yesterday. Heck, while we're on the topic what other WoD or CoD books are a fun read?

As memory serves, the RAGE and Jyhad ones are Breathe Deeply (where the Garou with Mnesis originated), House of Secrets (Etrius tries to become mortal using a descendant of his in a Blasphemous Rite), On a Darkling Plain (I think this was Disneyworld Expy as Vampire's Lair one), The Silver Crown (how Albrecht becomes king) andJay No-Name. To be honest all the early novels that aren't part of a particular series are actually kinda fun other than Dark Prince and Prince of the City, in that 'this is so loving bad' way. They have highlights like the soul-tornado destroying Vegas, a vampire love triangle (on a submarine, IIRC? Or was that an episode of Angel?) in WW2, a dead boxer enslaved by a travelling underworld fight club, a rogue Mongolian vampire with a unique bloodline killing half of Tampa's undead, etc. I again stress that these are not good books, they're just fun bad rather than unreadable bad. They're the books you read while drinking margaritas at the beach.