Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you want to be the 2020 Democratic Nominee?
This poll is closed.
Joe "the liberal who fights busing" Biden 27 1.40%
Bernie "please don't die" Sanders 1017 52.69%
Cory "charter schools" Booker 12 0.62%
Kirsten "wall street" Gillibrand 24 1.24%
Kamala "truancy queen" Harris 59 3.06%
Julian "who?" Castro 7 0.36%
Tulsi "gay panic" Gabbard 25 1.30%
Michael "crimes crimes crimes" Avenatti 22 1.14%
Sherrod "discount bernie" Brown 21 1.09%
Amy "horrible boss" Klobuchar 12 0.62%
Tammy "stands for america" Duckworth 48 2.49%
Beto "whataburger" O'Rourke 32 1.66%
Elizabeth "instagram beer" Warren 284 14.72%
Tom "impeach please" Steyer 4 0.21%
Michael "soda is the devil" Bloomberg 9 0.47%
Joseph Stalin 287 14.87%
Howard "coffee republican" Schultz 10 0.52%
Jay "nobody cares about climate change :(" Inslee 13 0.67%
Pete "gently caress the homeless" Butt Man 17 0.88%
Total: 1930 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

drawkcab si eman ym
Jan 2, 2006

Can VP Biden outcampaign Sen. Gillibrand?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

drawkcab si eman ym posted:

Can VP Biden outcampaign Sen. Gillibrand?

Wouldn't that be the funniest possible outcome of this entire primary?:allears:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

"Some things are" does not mean "literally any time anyone says anything negative about Bernie they are part of the neolib shill cabal"

They're neolib shills.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
I went back and listened to Bernie and Warren at that forum earlier and I thought Bernie came across really tonedeaf on racial issues. The hosts had to press him on his pivots several times and he went to a "I marched with Dr King!!" thing that just really came off bad. Warren knocked it out of the park from the first question on. Superb.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

VH4Ever posted:

I went back and listened to Bernie and Warren at that forum earlier and I thought Bernie came across really tonedeaf on racial issues.

Given the cheers and applause he got through most of it, I don't know if the audience agrees with you.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Bernie Sanders cannot dunk a basketball. #neolibshills4life

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Majorian posted:

Given the cheers and applause he got through most of it, I don't know if the audience agrees with you.

He didn't get the ovation one of Liz's lines got. Again, I'll vote for whichever of the two of them remain when it's my turn. But I feel like he desperately pivots off addressing some racial issues head-on while Liz seems eager to tackle them directly. Just my (white man) impression.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

VH4Ever posted:

He didn't get the ovation one of Liz's lines got. Again, I'll vote for whichever of the two of them remain when it's my turn. But I feel like he desperately pivots off addressing some racial issues head-on while Liz seems eager to tackle them directly. Just my (white man) impression.

Warren did slightly better than he did at this forum, I won't argue against that. But there's a difference between him holding his own in a forum that was stacked against him, and him bombing.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
This is an example of what I'm talking about. By Warren not only giving a detailed analysis of the issue, but also some specific way of resolving it, she shows to the audience she's given a lot of thought, which shows she cares about it. And she sounds like she knows what she's talking about, which makes people more inclined to trust her to implement it.

Even if you don't agree with the plan (and actually I'm still a little iffy on it) it still has an impact on convincing you of her compassion and competency on the issue

https://twitter.com/ewarren/status/1121164657455136768

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

bowser posted:

https://twitter.com/MarisaKabas/status/1121148788310147073

I have no doubt the hecklers were planned by the event organizers, but please Bernie, PLEASE stop using the "I marched with MLK" line. I would have groaned too.

Bernie is maintaining his grandpa reputation by being appropriately cringe in public.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

theblackw0lf posted:

This is an example of what I'm talking about. By Warren not only giving a detailed analysis of the issue, but also some specific way of resolving it, she shows to the audience she's given a lot of thought, which shows she cares about it. And she sounds like she knows what she's talking about, which makes people more inclined to trust her to implement it.

Even if you don't agree with the plan (and actually I'm still a little iffy on it) it still has an impact on convincing you of her compassion and competency on the issue

Yeah her doing this, and doing it right from the first question to boot, was really great. You heard lots of positive murmurs and some shouted encouragements from the crowd when she went into the meat and potatoes of this answer.

bowser posted:

https://twitter.com/MarisaKabas/status/1121148788310147073

I have no doubt the hecklers were planned by the event organizers, but please Bernie, PLEASE stop using the "I marched with MLK" line. I would have groaned too.

And this is the flip side. Pretty tired, IMO, and he's gonna have to do better with Liz in the race because she's eating his lunch on race issues thus far.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

theblackw0lf posted:

Yeah, I do mean it when I say Warren did a good job here, because she really did. I hope Bernie's team learns the right lesson from this, both because it will help his campaign and because these are good principles to support in detail. I expect they will; they're smart folks.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

theblackw0lf posted:

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1121166558766796800

One reason having fleshed out policies matter is because it shows to voters 1) you really care enough about the issue to have really thought it through. 2) It makes them trust more your ability to carry it out.

She will fold like a cheap paper plate.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
None of the virtues people see in Warren are untrue, but at the same time I don't know a soul alive who does not believe Sanders genuinely cares about his platform.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Judakel posted:

She's never had that problem.

Deified Data posted:

None of the virtues people see in Warren are untrue, but at the same time I don't know a soul alive who does not believe Sanders genuinely cares about his platform.

Most of Donut Twitter seems to have genuinely convinced themselves that he's a cynical trump just pushing good policy to cynically gain applause

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

Deified Data posted:

The fact of his consistently saying this stuff for decades elicits a sigh from the electorate which is annoying. All he can truly do is lean on Nina Turner, and others, to plead the case better for his understanding of such issues.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Most of Donut Twitter seems to have genuinely convinced themselves that he's a cynical trump just pushing good policy to cynically gain applause

You think "capitalist to her bones" Liz is not going to fold on the issue of debt forgiveness if she were to become president? lol

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"Warren has a plan for that" is actually a really good slogan

https://shop.elizabethwarren.com/co...a_7FZcOdwhQtV7E

I love that Warren is just running as herself, and the campaign she wants to run.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Judakel posted:

You think "capitalist to her bones" Liz is not going to fold on the issue of debt forgiveness if she were to become president? lol

Depends, is "the majority leader refuses to bring the bill to the Senate floor for discussion" "folding"?

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

Bernie Sanders, notorious political weathervane who changes his positions to whatever the polls say...

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Weird that their candidates seem to not be able to do the same. I know they've convinced themselves that a racist, capitalist hellworld is the best we can hope for so only a liar could say we could do better but if it's so easy to lie then any of the interchangeable idiots they support could do it.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

theblackw0lf posted:

This article from The New Republic gets at something I've been thinking about. Which is that Warren's transformation from a Reagan republican to a democrat, might not only maker her more electable, but also give her a unique ability to persuade others on the other side to change their views.

https://newrepublic.com/article/153666/elizabeth-warren-ex-republican-capitalist

This is the kind of nonsense that people who voted for Hillary actually believe.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Mellow Seas posted:

Depends, is "the majority leader refuses to bring the bill to the Senate floor for discussion" "folding"?

Are you under the impression democrats would not oppose this move? The difference in the opposition they will face is that Bernie will absolutely publicly humiliate them for it.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Gnumonic posted:

Bernie Sanders, notorious political weathervane who changes his positions to whatever the polls say...

A craven centrist who spent half a century building leftist bonafides to deprive women and POC of their shot at the presidency at this crucial moment

We can't just let him get away with it

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Judakel posted:

Are you under the impression democrats would not oppose this move? The difference in the opposition they will face is that Bernie will absolutely publicly humiliate them for it.

Yes, Bernie Sanders, candidate who has not proposed debt forgiveness, is definitely more committed to debt forgiveness than Elizabeth Warren, who used the word "capitalist" in a positive way once and thus... we have this gimmick account.

And I didn't say what party the majority leader was from. :smug:

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Judakel posted:

Did you miss the articles I posted about her challenging, and winning, against the Obama administration because of his choice of undersecretary? Or fighting the Obama administration and dem party on the omnibus bill?

Also, I think some people keep forgetting that the "Nevertheless, She Persisted" slogan is about her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wRsjubxWnQ

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Judakel posted:

This is the kind of nonsense that people who voted for Hillary actually believe.
Pretty much.

Trump voters will definitely not go for Warren. Honestly there is nothing to reach out to with Trump voters other than economic issues

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

Pretty much.

Trump voters will definitely not go for Warren. Honestly there is nothing to reach out to with Trump voters other than economic issues

Also as much as I hate to say it Trump has probably sufficiently poisoned her with his base through humiliating her. Even if being a Reagan Republican worked (and the actual Republicans tried this and failed hilariously in 2016 so no Democrat has a chance) it wouldn't be her.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Radish posted:

Also as much as I hate to say it Trump has probably sufficiently poisoned her with his base through humiliating her. Even if being a Reagan Republican worked (and the actual Republicans tried this and failed hilariously in 2016 so no Democrat has a chance) it wouldn't be her.
I do think that could also be a problem, but in 2020 the Dems need to play to the base, not Trump voters.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

I do think that could also be a problem, but in 2020 the Dems need to play to the base, not Trump voters.

They need to play to the base and the huge segment that doesn't bother voting since neither party represents them. Republican voters are a absolute dead end and always have been. The only reason they "matter" is because the Democratic leadership wants to fully turn the party into the neo-Republicans with a base of voters that have the choice between that and fascism.

The conservative Democrats have no real base, they just have successfully latched onto the only alternative to the party of theocratic white supremacy and win by default when that party gets a little too openly corrupt.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

She literally did just this in 2016.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Oh Snapple! posted:

She literally did just this in 2016.

On a racial issue no less.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Radish posted:

On a racial issue no less.

Oh no I meant folding completely to Hillary to the point where she not only chose to not run, but to not endorse.

That said that also says nothing of her constantly reinforcing a horseshit native narrative about herself while not actually doing poo poo for native causes until she hosed up super hard.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 25, 2019

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Mellow Seas posted:

Yes, Bernie Sanders, candidate who has not proposed debt forgiveness, is definitely more committed to debt forgiveness than Elizabeth Warren, who used the word "capitalist" in a positive way once and thus... we have this gimmick account.

And I didn't say what party the majority leader was from. :smug:

I was not talking about debt you m... Anyway.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

The way I see it Sanders makes a good president because he is finally connecting with POC and all the Trump voters who voted for him hoping he'd get them their jobs back. He's also extremely resilient in the face of criticism and sticks to his guns. He's willing to get on the front lines and face our worst ideological enemies and fight them on their ground. Warren is great at making proposals but she doesn't strike me as someone who can withstand the intense and often bipartisan political criticism and attacks a president faces.

Warren to me thus far has made a fantastic case for being the treasury secretary or secretary of commerce. Hopefully Nina Turner can help Sanders connect better with POC and more specifically WOC because speaking as a white male the breadth of my experience stops short of fully being able to connect to those realities and I would most certainly want someone who has a better empathetic understanding of their experiences at my side to keep me on an even keel.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

theblackw0lf posted:

Did you miss the articles I posted about her challenging, and winning, against the Obama administration because of his choice of undersecretary? Or fighting the Obama administration and dem party on the omnibus bill?

Also, I think some people keep forgetting that the "Nevertheless, She Persisted" slogan is about her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wRsjubxWnQ

Yes I remember those worthless victories.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Judakel posted:

I was not talking about debt you m... Anyway.

...m?

Judakel posted:

My deepest and most sincere apologies for not reading your mind when you changed subjects without remarking upon it.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Kraftwerk posted:

Yeah I noticed the audience seems to be displeased with Bernie and I can't figure out why.
What is he missing that keeps him from connecting with Women and specifically POC?

Reliably, polls from the past few months have shown that Bernie has the most support from nonwhite voters of any of the primary candidates. What you're missing is observable reality.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Mellow Seas posted:

...m?

My deepest and most sincere apologies for not reading your mind when you changed subjects without remarking upon it.

Just work on your reading comprehension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Kraftwerk posted:

The way I see it Sanders makes a good president because he is finally connecting with POC and all the Trump voters who voted for him hoping he'd get them their jobs back. He's also extremely resilient in the face of criticism and sticks to his guns. He's willing to get on the front lines and face our worst ideological enemies and fight them on their ground. Warren is great at making proposals but she doesn't strike me as someone who can withstand the intense and often bipartisan political criticism and attacks a president faces.

Warren to me thus far has made a fantastic case for being the treasury secretary or secretary of commerce. Hopefully Nina Turner can help Sanders connect better with POC and more specifically WOC because speaking as a white male the breadth of my experience stops short of fully being able to connect to those realities and I would most certainly want someone who has a better empathetic understanding of their experiences at my side to keep me on an even keel.

Those are go-nowhere posts for her. I agree with others who have suggested if she bows out to just stay and help flip Senate and fight to be the majority leader. I can think of no one better, gently caress Schumer. It would be criminal to relegate her to some poo poo cabinet post like Commerce, Jesus.