Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Sarsapariller posted:

Oh another one that I've heard about but don't know a drat thing about- Torchlight Frontiers is coming out soon, purports to be an MMO, and at least the first 2 were extremely decent Diabloesque looters.
The first two were snoozefests in the combat department. Everything else about them was pretty good, but to me that's the core part of any ARPG/MMO where fighting stuff is important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i've been playing a lot of path of exile this last month and as an arpg i really don't think it'll be topped any time soon. it wasn't all that good back in beta, but these days it's fuckin amazing.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Glenn Quebec posted:

What's RPG about rust I've never played it

The entire gameplay experience is like the first month of an MMO over and over because each server wipes progress like once a week up to once a month. It's also full loot pvp with a ton of loaded player interaction and ~RP~. It feels kinda like a semi-primitive (as in has bows and crossbows and a range of guns and a melee system) fps combined with ultima online.

Only way it is really an RPG though is that a lot of the population role plays to some extent and instead of your character getting better, you just get better at the game

Like it obviously isn't an mmorpg, but it feels similar to and tbh scratches a similar itch as oldschool pvp servers. There's also a raiding endgame as well as super hard end game content that most of the playerbase isn't coordinated enough to ever experience.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I miss the days of there not being detailed guides for every single thing and the games not holding your hands.

One of my fondest memories was finding a new dungeon in Asheron' Call that nobody but a handful of people knew about for the first couple of weeks.

There were these crystal mobs that dropped (at an extremely low rate) these motes (think that was their names?) that you had to gather a fuckload of but made some of the best armor in the game. The mobs themselves were pretty rare too and didn't really concentrate in any one area.

AC devs wouldn't give tons of info when a new patch came out and after one of the patches I stumbled upon a portal in the middle of nowhere out of sheer luck that had apparently just been added in. It was a dungeon containing a shitload of the mobs on fast respawn timers.

The motes were in incredibly high demand and had even become the default currency people used to trade, they were no longer just for the armor. The sheer joy of finding this amazing place that only a couple of others had found was one of my all time best gaming moments in 3+ decades of gaming.

So I called my best friend and swore her to secrecy and we started farming the poo poo out of this place. Anytime we saw a player we hadn't seen before we would confront them and make sure they understood why this should be kept a secret as long as possible. Over the next few weeks a trickle of players begin to find it until word got out and it turned into a spawn camping overcrowded mess.

But for those 2 weeks we were loving Kings. We were relatively low level and we became some of the richest players on the server. Modern games just aren't setup for things like that to take place. Every single thing in the game has exhaustive guides and videos about it and patch notes tell everything.

That type of experience was the true MMO magic that we were promised and even occasionally experienced in the early days. It's the dragon I have been chasing ever since and sadly, I don't think will ever exist again. gently caress it makes me tear up just thinking about it.

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Apr 15, 2019

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Herstory Begins Now posted:

The entire gameplay experience is like the first month of an MMO over and over because each server wipes progress like once a week up to once a month. It's also full loot pvp with a ton of loaded player interaction and ~RP~. It feels kinda like a semi-primitive (as in has bows and crossbows and a range of guns and a melee system) fps combined with ultima online.

Only way it is really an RPG though is that a lot of the population role plays to some extent and instead of your character getting better, you just get better at the game

Like it obviously isn't an mmorpg, but it feels similar to and tbh scratches a similar itch as oldschool pvp servers. There's also a raiding endgame as well as super hard end game content that most of the playerbase isn't coordinated enough to ever experience.

Thanks for the answer but that's pretty far away from what an RPGooks like to me

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is there anything new about Lost ARK coming to America?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ruggan posted:

Are there any games out there with a Diablo 2 style loot drop system? As in, rare items and a lot of viable options with the possibility of getting a good drop on certain mobs?

For example, I wouldn’t count EQ because of its relatively static loot - go here, get this. I also wouldn’t count BDO because of its reliance on an upgrade system rather than rarity system.

I actually really really hate this in destiny. You grind forever and never get what you want.

Being able to target a certain boss in WoW is a good thing, it adds to player agency on loot. Even if there's a lockout, at least you know you did your weekly attempt and there's no point grinding pointlessly.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

So it turns out a private server for City of Heroes has been privately running all this time with strict NDAs and ruthless banning of anyone who might reveal what was going on, but the secret is out now and Reddit is in butthurt histrionics about it screaming that City of Heroes subreddit mods were gaslighting them the whole time.

Ain't quite no drama like MMO drama.

Article here: https://massivelyop.com/2019/04/15/score-city-of-heroes-emulator-leak/

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

:yeshaha:

BillyC
Feb 19, 2013

everythin' under heaven is in utter chaos, cloud

Bread Liar
More surprised anyone got that spaghetti code working again tbh

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I'm just shocked they were able to keep it a secret for six years. Funny as hell as the mods where actually gaslighting the whole sub-reddit about there being a secret server. I wonder if any goons where able to get in?

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Truga posted:

i've been playing a lot of path of exile this last month and as an arpg i really don't think it'll be topped any time soon. it wasn't all that good back in beta, but these days it's fuckin amazing.

Lost Ark looks like it blows PoE out of the water, if it ever comes to the states I can easily see it making PoE irrelevant as long as whoever brings it over doesn't go crazy with the pay to win stuff, which is the big fear considering the companies involved.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mode 7 posted:

So it turns out a private server for City of Heroes has been privately running all this time with strict NDAs and ruthless banning of anyone who might reveal what was going on, but the secret is out now and Reddit is in butthurt histrionics about it screaming that City of Heroes subreddit mods were gaslighting them the whole time.

Article here: https://massivelyop.com/2019/04/15/score-city-of-heroes-emulator-leak/

How functional is this private server, and how do you access it now that the word is out?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I said come in! posted:

How functional is this private server, and how do you access it now that the word is out?

Extremely functional, they even have content that never made it to the live game.

As for how you access it? You don't unless you know someone who's in it (and they probably wouldn't even accept that at this point).

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am just going to keep waiting for City of Titans.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Do you believe in magic, Tenno?
I'm gonna be honest and frank:

I grew up in the 2000s and as such I never really cared about more older 90s mmos goons like to talk about often and even more turned off by their controls. I know alot y'all are gonna call me one of these ungrateful kids, but that's how i am. I largely grew up in a era where WOW was picking up steam and gaining noteworthy here, even tried the free trial as 3 characters before leaving the game for other things. Play several free to play mmos with the one i stuck with being a game called TERA where i reached to level 80 something play a class of dual scythe wielding goth girls. before that I play things like allods online, wizard and pirate 101, random kids mmos, some random mmo I forgot the name of, champions online, and maybe warframe still i took a break then came back.

I eventually stopped playing mmos afterwards. I don't know really. maybe i cared too much about my work that I more or less just didn't bother doing games anymore. It's only just now that I care to play a few multiplayer games. Oddly enough, I found myself more interested in talking to people online than relying on mmos to do it for me. Sure, I'll miss the days when mmos were more social oriented but i'm content with discord and most forums.

and since i'm a younger player....this will sound controversial but....not a fan of old school game controls, especially those for the pc. things like LoL and PoE i'm fine with but again, I much prefer the wasd layout half the time. Or really, old school mechanics and what not like perma-death and harsher death penalties (but the reasons for my thoughts on it i wn't disclose as it might sound too personal). The reason I flat out quit warframe back in the day was the lack of guides on helping me understand the game better. If I did understand what was going on, I would have been a mr 30 in no time. I'm not saying games should be like those doting mothers that tells you everything about life but it won't kill me if they have brief explanations on WHAT THE gently caress IS GOING ON!

end of rant...

Mode 7 posted:

as someone who tried city of heroes before dropping, this real? I'm not surprised considering I played on a private server for... scarlet blade....called vendetta...it's ironic cuz i'm female...and this game made me realize i may be bi

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I don't think this is all that controversial. We all recognize that there's a hefty nostalgia factor to some of the oldschool stuff. Control and UI wise a lot of old games are trainwrecks. Steep learning curves are not fun for the average player and opaque mechanics can easily become frustrating.

I don't even think most of us really care about the strict mechanics themselves (permadeath / harsher death penalties) so much as the side-effects that they had on the nature of the world. A sense of mystique.

I'm sure you can recognize that even over the time you're talking about, games have really swung to cater to the lowest common denominator, and a lot of the rough but defining characteristics of MMOs have been buffed out. That was probably necessary for the mass appeal, but for many of us who got into these games before they were mass appeal, we see the games as having lost something in the process.

Personally, I look back at older MMOs not as being paragons of gameplay, but rather as a frontier - something exciting, unknown, and raw, something I felt engaged by and was excited to spend more time in for the sake of experiencing it. In the modern MMO era of wikis, instances, and automated market houses, the games lack that special something that really drew me in back when I was a kid.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Fruity20 posted:

I'm gonna be honest and frank:

I grew up in the 2000s and as such I never really cared about more older 90s mmos goons like to talk about often and even more turned off by their controls.

I grew up playing all the 90's / early 00's MMORPG's, and why the whole "Hold left mouse to rotate camera" control scheme stayed a thing as long as it did blows my mind.

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Ruggan posted:

I don't think this is all that controversial. We all recognize that there's a hefty nostalgia factor to some of the oldschool stuff. Control and UI wise a lot of old games are trainwrecks. Steep learning curves are not fun for the average player and opaque mechanics can easily become frustrating.

I don't even think most of us really care about the strict mechanics themselves (permadeath / harsher death penalties) so much as the side-effects that they had on the nature of the world. A sense of mystique.

I'm sure you can recognize that even over the time you're talking about, games have really swung to cater to the lowest common denominator, and a lot of the rough but defining characteristics of MMOs have been buffed out. That was probably necessary for the mass appeal, but for many of us who got into these games before they were mass appeal, we see the games as having lost something in the process.

Personally, I look back at older MMOs not as being paragons of gameplay, but rather as a frontier - something exciting, unknown, and raw, something I felt engaged by and was excited to spend more time in for the sake of experiencing it. In the modern MMO era of wikis, instances, and automated market houses, the games lack that special something that really drew me in back when I was a kid.

to each their own honestly...yea know...this might sound werid....but for the longest time i wanted to make my own mmo or game...it has changed over the years of course but the core features remain the same...but in this day in age....why bother?

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Fruity20 posted:

as someone who tried city of heroes before dropping, this real?

It's real and a real drama bomb.

Servers are up and running again as of this morning, there's a whole thread dedicated to it right now.

Not super stable yet but we're getting there.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fruity20 posted:

and since i'm a younger player....this will sound controversial but....not a fan of old school game controls, especially those for the pc. things like LoL and PoE i'm fine with but again, I much prefer the wasd layout half the time. Or really, old school mechanics and what not like perma-death and harsher death penalties (but the reasons for my thoughts on it i wn't disclose as it might sound too personal). The reason I flat out quit warframe back in the day was the lack of guides on helping me understand the game better. If I did understand what was going on, I would have been a mr 30 in no time. I'm not saying games should be like those doting mothers that tells you everything about life but it won't kill me if they have brief explanations on WHAT THE gently caress IS GOING ON!

I'm real confused trying to parse this post.

You're not a fan of old school game controls.

You're okay with LoL, but you prefer WASD.

WASD isn't old school?

I mean, the oldest of old school didn't have WASD, like... doom. But people play doom these days with WASD, and the earlier part of your post makes it sound like you're young and so you'd think like everquest is "old school", but... everquest was wasd movement...

Anyways if your concern is you don't know "WHAT THE gently caress IS GOING ON" play Destiny or Division or Anthem or every single other game on the market right now, because they all hold your hand for hours.

This is a weird rant dude. It doesn't really amount to anything. Not sure what you're driving at.

Ruggan posted:

Its this, and Fruity20 is the kind of gamer who caused WoW to become what it is. You have to study game design and psychology or its easy to make false assumptions.

Nobody likes dying in dark souls. But letting you die makes the game rewarding when you don't die. Lots of people think souls' fans are just masochistic and its completely the opposite.

Having a big world that isn't all spoon fed to you isn't about being punishing, its about being rewarding.

Fruity20 posted:

to each their own honestly...yea know...this might sound werid....but for the longest time i wanted to make my own mmo or game...it has changed over the years of course but the core features remain the same...but in this day in age....why bother?

Sorry but what?

"Why bother" is "because it requires a budget of millions of dollars to make something actually fun", but I'm not really sure what the this day and age part is supposed to mean. You haven't really said much rather than express a lot of your own personal history and feelings.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 24, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Jimlit posted:

I grew up playing all the 90's / early 00's MMORPG's, and why the whole "Hold left mouse to rotate camera" control scheme stayed a thing as long as it did blows my mind.

Why? It makes sense. WoW and FFXIV still use it today and it makes sense?

They have a largely mouse-driven UI with lots of menus. That doesn't work if you're constantly bound to freelook like an FPS.

90s MMORPGs controlled mostly fine. Everquest not letting you unlock the camera from your own character facing was the only clunky part of its controls, and WoW fixed that by letting you look with left mouse and turn with right mouse.

You can play FFXIV with a controller but lots of people still prefer mouse and keyboard because MMORPGs are so menu heavy. The combat doesn't require FPS reflexes either, by design.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Apr 24, 2019

Fruity20
Jul 28, 2018

Relentless posted:

It's real and a real drama bomb.

Servers are up and running again as of this morning, there's a whole thread dedicated to it right now.

Not super stable yet but we're getting there.

well...at least it's news right?

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Nope nothing is ever topping star wars galaxies 2003 version.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
China game would have been the best sandbox MMO in existence if it wasn't for the fact that Snail USA was basically the worst company in existence. Laughably bad translation, terrible p2w monetization, incredibly delayed content patches, terrible server placement in a ping reliant game (it was more ping efficient for me to play the EU version when I was on the east coast), and overall abysmal community management.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I feel like age of wushu really nailed the Pvp/pve balance where there's enough pve stuff to keep people around to support pvp shenanigans. I feel like a lot of the ~survival pvp~ games coming out totally ignore that and end up really samey. Oh boy another land grab base building game where you start off by chopping wood and getting endlessly ganked huh

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Old school controls are CTRL, ALT, spacebar and the cursor keys. Nothing else. No mouse input or anything.

I mean who can afford the luxury of loading a mouse driver in 640k low mem anyway? Certainly not with your Sound Blaster and CD-ROM drivers already loaded.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Zaphod42 posted:

Why? It makes sense. WoW and FFXIV still use it today and it makes sense?

They have a largely mouse-driven UI with lots of menus. That doesn't work if you're constantly bound to freelook like an FPS.

This little known MMO I played called d&d online had a toggle (default bind T), you pushed it and it was free look 3rd person game, you pushed it again and got your mouse cursor back. It's not exactly rocket surgery.

DancingShade posted:

Old school controls are CTRL, ALT, spacebar and the cursor keys. Nothing else. No mouse input or anything.

First thing I did when playing doom was enter setup, set up mouse controls, and set spacebar to backwards. Along with shift for running and z and x for strafing defaults, it seemed the most comfortable.

I used this setup in most first person games I played enough to bother rebinding keys in until a couple years ago lmao

i moved to esdf now

Truga fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Apr 29, 2019

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
I used to play quake 1 with doom keyboard controls. Then I discovered mouse look and I loving owned at that old ctf mod that used only the original maps\graphics (keys for flags etc). It was cool cause the levels weren't symmetrical.. gently caress I wish I was 10 again

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom
Do games like WoT, WT etc. count as MMOs? I really did enjoy WoW vanilla, but thats mostly because I was stupid and had far too much free time. Recently I really liked ESO post One Tamriel release, but had to leave it due to time constraints. I've tried most of the crap that has been discussed here but nothing really sounds even mildly interesting anymore with the exception of ESO. The game itself is average, but when I played a few years back I was in a really chill guild that elevated the game experience from average to excellent. Sadly looks like people have moved on.
The problem with most of the MMORPGs is that unless you get in on the ground floor, you are never going to catch up. I do believe most players want to be competitive at least on some level (PvE or PvP) so catching up is a requirement. I do not have the time nor the will to go from level 1 to end game in say Neverwinter or WoW or whatever else themepark stuff is popular now. I do like how World of Tanks is built up - doesnt matter if you played 2months or 7 years, a tank is a tank with the same characteristics. Sure, old players have better crews which have some benefits, but nothing like WoW full purple vs full green in PvP. Too bad all the other games in the same genre follow the same loving formula. I like meta progression, I do not like a second job.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

madfury posted:

The problem with most of the MMORPGs is that unless you get in on the ground floor, you are never going to catch up.

This is why Chinagame was so great. Whenever there was a major content update they would spin up a new server with a hard cap on "level", they would then progressively increase the cap over a period of time. Finally, after the server has caught up to the main servers in terms of content for a while, they would merge the newer server into the old one. Which was a great way to solve this problem especially how important it was for the enjoyability of an open world PvP game.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

SweetBro posted:

This is why Chinagame was so great. Whenever there was a major content update they would spin up a new server with a hard cap on "level", they would then progressively increase the cap over a period of time. Finally, after the server has caught up to the main servers in terms of content for a while, they would merge the newer server into the old one. Which was a great way to solve this problem especially how important it was for the enjoyability of an open world PvP game.

Having never played chinagame.exe or knowing anything about its mechanics/progression, how does this solve the problem? Wouldn't all the people coming in from the new server be instantly seal clubbed by the older players as soon as the server merge happens?

Or do you mean that playing on the new server before it gets merged is the solution since everyone has a fresh start? I see that working in games like Diablo/Path of Exile where most people roll new characters on ladder/new seasons because it only takes a few hours to reach endgame, but I'm not sure how it works in an MMO where most of them are horrible grindfests and you'd be throwing away months of progression instead.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I think the idea is that old players with established characters stick to the main one while newbies go to the new ones. When the new one merges with the main one the newbies will be able to at least hold their ground and be somewhat familiar with the game instead of getting ganked in the starter zones. Seems interesting but I'm not sure how that'd help people who just level slowly

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

yergacheffe posted:

Having never played chinagame.exe or knowing anything about its mechanics/progression, how does this solve the problem? Wouldn't all the people coming in from the new server be instantly seal clubbed by the older players as soon as the server merge happens?

Or do you mean that playing on the new server before it gets merged is the solution since everyone has a fresh start? I see that working in games like Diablo/Path of Exile where most people roll new characters on ladder/new seasons because it only takes a few hours to reach endgame, but I'm not sure how it works in an MMO where most of them are horrible grindfests and you'd be throwing away months of progression instead.

There is a hard power cap in the game in terms of what level you can raise an internal to and how strong your gear is. Progression is more similar to EVE in the sense that you can't grind for levels, but rather there is a fixed amount of progression that happens over time. By the time the servers merge most people who started a character while the server only a few expansions in, will be maxed level in at least one internal.

To clarify a bit more about how the progression system works: You have three main modes of PvP relevant progression.

- Internals Skill: This determines your stats and a passive ability. The key thing is that these are also separated into tiers with max levels. The higher the tier is, the more powerful the internal is, but not right away. So for example, a lvl 36 T1 internal = a lvl 20 T2 internal = lvl 1 T5 internal. Normally there is some level of strict progression that requires you to get to a certain level in a previous tier internal to unlock access to a new tier. Additionally higher level tier internals are also often gated by PvE content/missions but since the amount of Cultivation required to increase the level of each one increases it's typically not a big deal. Finally, which tier and the max level of internals are capped by the current expansion of the server. Additionally, cultivation injection pills exist that you can use daily to pump cultivation into lower level internal skills as catch-up mechanic.

- Combat Skills: These are your abilities used for combat. These are separated into styles, and switching between styles puts you on a 5 sec global cooldown. Most of them can be leveled up to level 7. Beyond level 5 it will require you finding relevant items in PvE stuff. Leveling them is a double-edged sword however since it drastically increases energy costs, so most of the time you only want to level specific abilities.

- Gear: Top end gear is all player made, fairly RNG dependent, and very time-consuming. Basically, be rich to get this stuff. The fortunate bit is that pay2wins will typically fuel the economy since a lot of "required" stuff drops from dungeons, and can be sold at like a 10,000% markup on a newbie server to the pay2wins. This is also where you're likely to see the largest disparity between new server players, and old server players.

You get exp from playing the game or even eating consumables, but it's basically worthless. As IRL times goes on your exp turns into cultivation. There are other ways to boost cultivation, such as playing group DDR, and swallowing booster pills. But at the end of the day, there is a limited amount of cultivation that you will ever get, and that limited amount can be achieved in like an hour of play.

Most of the game's active content is about acquiring additional internals and skillsets. Which is drastically more difficult than leveling up the stuff you get for free from your school. So when the servers merge the old players will typically have a lot more options with how they want to fight, but the newbies will be on mostly equal footing in terms of raw power.

housemaster!!1
Oct 6, 2015

DUNT 4GEHT 2 FLAAHP UR ARRMAZ
For me the best mmo experience was Ragnarok Online back in ~2003/2004. Getting home from school and grind until 4 AM - Good times!
There was so much stuff to grind and oddly enough I never got bored. I'm still getting nervous when I see the picture of a monster card lying on the ground.

Before that I used to play Ultima Online on some random RP shards. Since this was my first MMO ever it also was an awesome experience. Never did much PvP though. I used to tame stuff all the time because I wanted a dragon.

The next MMO I played longer than a year was Darkfall Online back in 2009. The beta was loving glorius and there were like 12k players on one server. Unfortunately the managers of Aventurine were the biggest assholes ever and ruined everything. Then they released Darkfall Unholy Wars and drove the final nail into the coffin. Afterwards I tried out Mortal Online, but drat it wasn't nearly as polished as Darkfall. Everything lagged and the playerbase was cancer. Not the toxic kind of cancer like in Darkfall, but still cancer.

After that I haven't found a MMO worth playing. I tried out Shards Online, Life is Feudal, Tree of Saviour, Gloria Victis and some other niche games, but I always got bored really quickly. Now I'm waiting for Bannerlord (Maybe cRPG2?), Crowfall, Camelot Unchained and a sudden announcement of Ultima Online 2.

Thinking about playing UO Outlands though, but drat this game looks old...

These days are really lovely.

housemaster!!1 fucked around with this message at 10:34 on May 3, 2019

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

SweetBro posted:

Huge effort post

Thanks for elaborating. That makes it sound more like if an established MMO spun off a server with the base game level of content and progressively unlocked its expansions, allowing new players to experience the content as if everyone on the server was new to it. Then given the structure of chinagame.exe, when the eventual merge happens the new players would have roughly the same power level but just not as many toys to fight with.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

housemaster!!1 posted:

Thinking about playing UO Outlands though, but drat this game looks old...

These days are really lovely.

Gaming Sucks 2019

And yes, UO looks lovely, plays lovely and is generally lovely allover.

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom
The whole situation is made worse by the fact that there is nothing even remotely interesting in the pipeline for 2019.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

madfury posted:

The whole situation is made worse by the fact that there is nothing even remotely interesting in the pipeline for 2019.

classic wow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sgbyou
Feb 3, 2005

I'm just a shadow in the light you leave behind.

Mr. Pickles posted:

classic wow?

nothing even remotely interesting