Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Kanos posted:

Specifically, the goblins show up to attack a town and their big strategy is they use a bunch of tower shields with naked and abused women tied to them as human shields. It being dealt with so quickly debatably makes it even worse, because since it's dealt with so quickly and trivially by the protagonists it is basically just an excuse for the artist to draw a bunch of tortured naked women for several pages with no actual ultimate purpose for the story.

If it was a manga first that'd be a fair claim. But since it was a Light Novel first and this isn't one of the drawn scenes, not so much. That said the Goblin Slayer manga is apparently more horny than the novels, so I guess both are fair claims.

Frankly, the Goblin Lord is kind of a boring final boss, It's less about fighting him than it is about showing the community coming together to ensure a happy ending and protect their home from tragedy. A better final boss is the Goblin Paladin, who's actually really cool and interesting, but we won't see him for a while. I will admit to not expecting that they'd avoid the route of "Oh he's a Paladin of an Evil God" and instead take the direction of "He's a Paladin of the God of Knowledge/Wisdom, whose goal is to become a Blacksmith and lacks the cowardly traits of his brethren, willing to take hits for them. Like it'd be so easy, doing a 'Goblin Paladin' to just have it be "Oh yeah empowered by the Demon Lord, he's a Blackguard."

Like still a villain, but interesting. He doesn't appear until... Volume 5 though, the anime is covering 1 and 2, and one story from Volume 4. But Volume 4 is "A collection of short stories with no real overarcing plot"

quote:

Chapter 1: Of Rookie Warrior and Apprentice Priestess
Chapter 2: Of a Certain Little Boy
Chapter 3: Of a Tavern Waitress
Chapter 4: Of a Perfectly Ordinary Goblin Nest
Chapter 5: Of a Day When He Isn't There
Chapter 6: Of the Destruction of the Demon-Enthralled Temple of Doom
Chapter 7: Of the Second Time the Necromancer's Plans Were Upset
Chapter 8: Of an Elf's Lazy Day
Chapter 9: Of the Three of Them, Some Months Ago
Chapter 10: Of Going There and Back Again

Chapter 5 will be a fun one to see adapted since it's Priestess, Elf, Cow Girl, Guild Girl and one other playing an RPG boardgame together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Omni was right, it looks like they're going to close out the season with the farm raid.

This... doesn't look like Slayers. What is this?

Blight Runner
May 3, 2009
Google says Matoi the Sacred Slayer. A magical girl anime from a few years ago. No clue if it is any good, but at least the art is cute :3:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It just got added to CR a week or so ago.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
And it has Slayer in the name so it counts.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sakurazuka posted:

Along with Chivalry of a Failed Knight for almost every other territory but USA, if memory serves right?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Grapplejack posted:

Omni was right, it looks like they're going to close out the season with the farm raid.

This... doesn't look like Slayers. What is this?

Farm Raid closing makes sense the moment you actually think about it and Water Town in the context of stories.

Water Town is a story about an adventuring party having a tough dungeon crawl while one of the players tries to find creative ways to get around another player being annoyed that he always handles encounters in the most boring way possible (The best example of this being GS saying that, had the explosion not killed the Beholder, They would just shoot arrows from the door way and back off until it de-aggro'd rinsing and repeating until it died.) It's also a dungeon that was designed by the good DM, but then she got sick and the Bad DM decided to gently caress it up. This is actually canon. The Goddess Illusion is the one who designed the Water Town dungeon, and as always she designed a fair, reasonable dungeon with reasonable challenges for the players. Then Truth comes along and went "This looks boring, want my help?" And before Illusion can answer throws down poison gas traps, hidden passages, a Beholder far beyond the parties level, a Goblin Champion, increases the size of the horde exponentially and the Magic Mirror. I mean Truth is literally described as a dickhead God who places traps 11 feet away (to screw adventurers with 10 foot poles) gets party members to betray one another and takes delightful glee in TPKs.

But in the end, it's just an adventure where we get to see the heroes get a bit more comfortable with one another.

Farm Raid on the other hand, has the Slayer's home be threatened, and him concluding there is nothing he can do to actually stop this (Which mirrors his defence of a village in Year One, where he concludes to never fight Goblins outdoors again, as he was nearly killed because this is his first year and he's a dumb rookie.) When Cow Girl refuses to leave because it's the last thing they have to a home, and if they abandon it, then GS wont even have a home anymore. Since the choice is between "Die and fail my friend" or "Survive and fail my friend" he finally brings himself to beg the adventurers to help him. It's the whole community coming together to sort of accept the Slayer, him finding a proper friendship with Lancer (Who uses the flimsiest reward of 'buy my a drink' to actually help him, when most of the adventurers were holding out for better pay) and coming to realize that, as he doesn't see himself as an adventurer, he wants to become one. It's the community opening up and assisting him, and in turn, him opening up and going from pariah, to one of the family. It's also the moment he takes off the helmet and reveals himself to the adventurers (With lamentations in the betting pool that he wasn't a woman, or an especially tall Goblin.)

Also, the boss. The big Goblin threat in Water Town is a champion. The threat in the Farm Raid is the Lord, who employs Champions. From a narrative standpoint, going on an adventure to fight the thing you essentially trumped in the previous adventure is de-escalation, while the boss of the previous arc becoming an elite enemy for the next boss, is proper escalation.

It did create some narrative holes (In the manga/novels, GS specifically requests Lancer bring him the flour, calling him the swiftest and most dependable adventurer he knows. The adventure that GS ruins for the Elf isn't adapted, which leads to her restricting him from using Fire, Water and Poison, as he keeps ruining the adventures she's trying to show him.) But they did an okay job of writing around most of them.

Next season's pretty well set up for the Harvest Festival, especially since this season's spent a few scenes establishing the Chosen Heroine and her Party, I think it'd be fair to predict it'll be Harvest Festival, A Day without Him (GS isn't around so Priestess and Cow Girl have a girls day out), The Tower (Guts, Lancer and GS go handle a dark wizard in a tower)and potentially Goblin Paladin. Probably with some interspersed stories from Volume... I think it's 4 or 5? One of them is essentially a novel of just short stories that were adapted into the Brand New Day manga and of which one has already been adapted for the anime (Of a Rookie Swordsman and Cleric)

Blight Runner
May 3, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Oh, I guess that was the years the manga was out. Good to know!

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Watching The Slayers because of this thread. Needed something to get the taste of Goblin Slayer out of my mouth. This is exactly what I wanted! It’s 100% my poo poo.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Verisimilidude posted:

Watching The Slayers because of this thread. Needed something to get the taste of Goblin Slayer out of my mouth. This is exactly what I wanted! It’s 100% my poo poo.

Watch the movies and OVA's. They're a blast.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

doomrider7 posted:

Watch the movies and OVA's. They're a blast.

Yeah, this. Still haven't gotten around to Revolution and Evolution-R since Smash came out, but I'm saving it for when I'm inevitably stuck at home with a cold.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Coxswain Balls posted:

Yeah, this. Still haven't gotten around to Revolution and Evolution-R since Smash came out, but I'm saving it for when I'm inevitably stuck at home with a cold.

They kind of lack the magic of the previous seasons. The OVA's and movies are Lina's adventures with Naga the White Serpent before meeting Gourrey. Think Dirty Pair, but fantasy.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

doomrider7 posted:

They kind of lack the magic of the previous seasons. The OVA's and movies are Lina's adventures with Naga the White Serpent before meeting Gourrey. Think Dirty Pair, but fantasy.

Yeah they're not as good as the previous three (though I found Evolution-R to be the better of the two) but they're still decent overall. I've said it before but there really is no bad Slayers content (though Naga can be a little grating at times).

I'm still hoping for an eventual revival of the anime one day though now that the novels have started back up again in Japan.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 31, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I thought I'd rewatch some of Slayers Try and I'd completely forgotten about the ad break title cards (Amelia in a waitress outfit, Lina in a school uniform, Zelgadis as a rock star etc.). Mostly they're humorous but there's one where Gourry is in an apron with a little girl with pink hair and I can't remember if she was a character from one of the previous two seasons.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I thought I'd rewatch some of Slayers Try and I'd completely forgotten about the ad break title cards (Amelia in a waitress outfit, Lina in a school uniform, Zelgadis as a rock star etc.). Mostly they're humorous but there's one where Gourry is in an apron with a little girl with pink hair and I can't remember if she was a character from one of the previous two seasons.

I think that was the alchemist girl whose house they accidentally destroy in Next.

Not spoiler tagging that because wanton destruction should be a given.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I was always disappointed that they showed Lina's sister in the op but we never actually got to see her.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I was always disappointed that they showed Lina's sister in the op but we never actually got to see her.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the occasional silhouettes we see in the anime are the most we've ever seen of Lina's sister in any Slayers related media so far (though she was apparently going to be the main character back in the early planning stages of the series).

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Wanna meet that sis.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

All we know about Luna Inverse as far as I'm aware is that she's the Knight of Ceifeed, works as a waitress in her hometown of Zephilia, is ridiculously powerful and well known, and Lina is absolutely terrified of her. Provided they can make her live up to the hype I'd be down for actually meeting her in a future story arc.

Somewhat related, I'd also like to see Amelia meet Naga at some point since they're canonically sisters according to the author. The closest we've come so far is Nama in Evolution-R and a few off-hand references in try (she mentions having a scary older sister that's about Gourry's height and later Lina does the Naga Laugh and Amelia tells her to stop because she hates it).

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Larryb posted:

All we know about Luna Inverse as far as I'm aware is that she's the Knight of Ceifeed, works as a waitress in her hometown of Zephilia, is ridiculously powerful and well known, and Lina is absolutely terrified of her. Provided they can make her live up to the hype I'd be down for actually meeting her in a future story arc.

Somewhat related, I'd also like to see Amelia meet Naga at some point since they're canonically sisters according to the author. The closest we've come so far is Nama in Evolution-R and a few off-hand references in try (she mentions having a scary older sister that's about Gourry's height and later Lina does the Naga Laugh and Amelia tells her to stop because she hates it).

Yeah they're sisters. Naga has PTSD about blood due to walking in on the assassination of her mom and strangling the guy with a wire spell. The outfit is actually something she found among her moms "secret stash" of outfits. Apparently she's gotten morphed into a walking armor or something a la Alphonse Elric.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

doomrider7 posted:

Yeah they're sisters. Naga has PTSD about blood due to walking in on the assassination of her mom and strangling the guy with a wire spell. The outfit is actually something she found among her moms "secret stash" of outfits. Apparently she's gotten morphed into a walking armor or something a la Alphonse Elric.

None of which is really mentioned in any actual media as far as I'm aware. In fact, I'm pretty sure nearly Naga's entire backstory exclusively came from interviews. Which is a shame because it honestly sounds pretty interesting (and kind of hosed up considering how much of a joke character she's usually portrayed as in the series itself).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 3, 2019

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Haha, I forgot that Try had this whole bit where Valgaav turns into loving Devilman.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Larryb posted:

None of which is really mentioned in any actual media as far as I'm aware. In fact, I'm pretty sure nearly Naga's entire backstory exclusively came from interviews. Which is a shame because it honestly sounds pretty interesting (and kind of hosed up considering how much of a joke character she's usually portrayed as in the series itself).

She has apparently told Lina she's royalty, but Lina thinks it's bullshit and ignores it. She's the one who told her where at the crossroads to meet the prince of Seylun and her PTSD about blood was used(albeit for comedy) when she fainted in one of the OVA's. I'd definetly love to see her appear more since in some ways I liked the OVA's more than the series proper. It's rare that you get a badass girl duo series so I take em when I can.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Slayers Gorgeous was what got me into anime and it's been a downhill journey since then.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

The Slayers Special novels do delve somewhat more into Naga's deal, but yeah: Most details about her, Gourry and Luna's backstories/overall information comes from supplemental materials or interviews. It'd actually be cool if the relaunch of the main novels inspired Kanzaka to break from tradition and let Naga into the main storyline, even if just to be like "Hey, Ohohoho Lady is still around".

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
naga can't appear in the main story, because one naga is more than equal to every other member of lina's party. gourry, zel and amelia would have no choice but to slink off in shame.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Naga doesn't have to be part of Lina's party. She is more than happy to work against Lina.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Wasn't she initially supposed to be in the main series but Kanzaka couldn't figure out a way to make it work so we got Amelia instead?

She did sort of join the party temporarily in Evolution-R though (Nama was voiced by the same actress and was heavily implied to literally be Naga in all aspects except for her name and the fact that her personality was just slightly off). She also made an (utterly pointless) cameo in the Slayers Premium movie.

I'm sort of torn on seeing her again though, on the one hand I'd like to see her backstory explored in a bit more detail (as well as see what her relationship with Amelia and Prince Phillip is like) but on the other she does kind of get on your nerves a bit in high doses.

Either way, as I've mentioned before I hope the recent revival of the novels leads to a new anime project one day (or at the very least a movie/OVA). Not sure about the English side but I'm pretty sure most of the Japanese actors are still in the industry at any rate (for example, Lina's VA has been voicing Jessie in the Pokemon anime since the beginning).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jan 3, 2019

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Do we know how well the bluray boxsets are selling btw?
If I recall correctly the first one should have come out around Christmas.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

Either way, as I've mentioned before I hope the recent revival of the novels leads to a new anime project one day (or at the very least a movie/OVA). Not sure about the English side but I'm pretty sure most of the Japanese actors are still in the industry at any rate (for example, Lina's VA has been voicing Jessie in the Pokemon anime since the beginning).
Good news! They're active for the most part.
  • Lina Inverse: Megumi Hayashibara is indeed still active! And while not as active as some of the other generational peers, she's still trucking along.
  • Gourry: Yasunori Matsumoto is mostly just doing small gigs here and there.
  • Amelia: Masami Suzuki mostly dedicates herself to singing and narration nowadays.
  • Naga: Similarly to the VA portraying both Gourry and her character's little sister, Maria Kawamura is mostly just doing small roles here and there.
  • Prince Phil: Minoru Inaba (Phil's voice actor starting in Try) likes to keep busy, though he mostly deals in dubbing nowadays.
  • Zelgadis: Yes! Hikaru Midorikawa is among the busiest VA's that had their breakout roles in the early to mid 90's. Last season saw him retake the mantle of Gridman, and next season he'll appear in One Punch Man's 2nd Season.
  • Xelloss: Just like Mr. Midorikawa, Akira Ishida has been busy for most of his tenure as a VA. Helps that his range has actually expanded, so while a bit difficult, he can still pull off doing boyish voices like Kaworu, Young Sensui or Xelloss himself, along with his older voice, shown in Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 3, 2019

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
i am rewatching slayers for the first time in ~20 years in hi-def

you are all now aware that I am rewatching slayers in high-def

it's good. gently caress me up, Megumi

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
New Slayers Anime when?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, some new novels came out a little while back and as I understand it the series is still fairly popular so I don't see much reason why they wouldn't revive the anime again at some point (at the very least they could give us a movie and/or OVA).

Also there was a little over 10 years between Try and Revolution so it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility either.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 24, 2019

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Larryb posted:

Yeah, some new novels came out a little while back and as I understand it the series is still fairly popular so I don't see much reason why they wouldn't revive the anime again at some point (at the very least they could give us a movie and/or OVA).

Also there was a little over 10 years between Try and Revolution so it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility either.
goddamn, evolution-r came out in 2009? I thought it was just a few years ago!

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

TenementFunster posted:

I read that post and refused to believe evolution-r was ten years ago and even though this post seems to heavily imply it really did I will continue to deny it. It came out a couple years ago and I am still young.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TenementFunster posted:

Yup, and before that we had Slayers Try way back in 1997. Point is, just because it's been close to a decade since the last season came out that's still no indication that the anime is dead at this point.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 25, 2019

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Larryb posted:

Yup, and before that we had Slayers Try way back in 1997. Point is, just because it's been close to a decade since the last season came out that's still no indication that the anime is dead at this point.
oh no, i was simply implying that I am dead at this point

i remember downloading realplayer fan subs of Try back when Clinton was president and now my knees hurt for totally unrelated reasons

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hell, the original light novels themselves started in 1989 and are still going to this day.

Off the subject, I recently started rewatching the series myself recently (this time with the dub cast). Ironically, I think there might actually be more swearing in the English version of Slayers than there is in original Japanese. Still though, I kind of like both casts more or less equally so that's a plus.

Out of curiosity, why were the English versions of the movies handled by a completely different studio/cast than the main series was?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Larryb posted:

I recently started rewatching the series myself recently (this time with the dub
MODS