Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arson Fire
Oct 8, 2010

Oath Breaker about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Finished off Trajann over the weekend. Nearly got this army done. Now I just need to paint a few bikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Arson Fire posted:

Finished off Trajann over the weekend. Nearly got this army done. Now I just need to paint a few bikes.

This scheme you're doing is really good. Love your Custodes.

Mistafab
May 15, 2009

Remember gitface when I promised to kill you last?

I LIED
Wanted to try painting darker skin, so I painted this Chaos cultist dude.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Base part done: Armageddon Dust texture with an Agrax Earthshade wash. I can't decide what to drybrush it with - white, lighter brown or dark green if I add flock?

I'd like to flock it, I have a green static grass or a dark green moss - would that take away from the painting or add some colour? I'm leaning towards the dark green moss, but should I flock the whole base or have parts of mud left, or leave it as mud? The mud matches the dirty uniform and mud hell that is most 40k battlefields once the Artillery gets involved, which for Guard, is hopefully all of them.

I think I'll make the base side Abaddon black afterwards.

Note the polish on those boots! I got some Nuln oil gloss and I'm quite happy with it.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 23, 2019

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Hey what do y'all do about that mildew smell in the wet pallet. I got some anti-fungal foot stuff for my janky toenails... Should I try it?

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

copper pennies, Though I use a cheapo dollarstore plastic container so if it gets too rank, I just toss the sucker out.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Painting up a Blood Angels Kill Team and just finished this dude up last night.

I also did some scouts...contemplated doing a head swap but then figured I'd just try to challenge myself to mitigate their weirdness as much as possible. There's only so much you can do to help a terrible sculpt, but I'm pretty happy with how they turned out. The beard dude looks like a lumber jack and the blondes have sort of have a Schwarzenegger vibe which I am on board with.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Adding a little hydrogen peroxide also can also work at keeping a wet palette from mildewing.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

https://twitter.com/ButtstuffKaiju/status/1120820127627345923

:stonk:
This is some kind of war crime I am sure of it.

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

DiHK posted:

Hey what do y'all do about that mildew smell in the wet pallet. I got some anti-fungal foot stuff for my janky toenails... Should I try it?

Washing my Tupperware palette in warm soapy water and putting fresh paper towel and parchment paper gets rid of any musty smell so far.
If you've got a nicer one with a sponge see about washing that or soaking it in peroxide, if that doesn't work see if you can replace the sponge.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am super stressed out looking at this.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Time works the same way.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I think I put on too much flock. It may have worked better with just the texture as mud.

Just need to varnish them and do the 2nd squad. 90% of the infantry to go....

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

If you don't mind a quick tip, flocking to the edge of the base creates the impression the the flock goes on after the miniature ends.

Otherwise you kind of get the feeling that each figure is standing on a little island of vegetation.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Comstar posted:

I think I put on too much flock. It may have worked better with just the texture as mud.

Play with your basing scheme now, not when you've got 50+ of them done! I use little tufts of flock to break up the monotony of the base and mostly just wash sand with a chestnut ink:

If you want to cover your base completely (even mostly) I'd recommend a light dusting of static grass instead:

In between these two is not something I've found easy to master.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Reynold posted:

Play with your basing scheme now, not when you've got 50+ of them done! I use little tufts of flock to break up the monotony of the base and mostly just wash sand with a chestnut ink:

In between these two is not something I've found easy to master.

These are very nice grass bases! What paint did you use for the rim?

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

I'm pretty sure these were Citadel Elysian Green over Deathworld Forest. Painted the whole base, varnished, then applied a thin watered down layer of glue with some static grass.

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

:france: Honneur et Patrie :france:

For basing I find that drybrushed polymer sand is the way to go. Poly sand is typically used for joints in paver patios and contains a chemical thst causes it to get super hard when exposed to water. To apply it, I use Elmer's glue thinned with a bit of water painted straight onto the model's base after construction. Immediately after applying the glue, dip the base in some poly sand and tap off the excess. Let the model dry and then prime it. Then use your choice of high contrast drybrush colors. My favorite is Abaddon Black drybrushed with light grey and Ceramite White. Burnt brown and bone white are good choices too. After the paint dries you can apply flock, static grass or other things as you like.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

The French Army posted:

For basing I find that drybrushed polymer sand is the way to go. Poly sand is typically used for joints in paver patios and contains a chemical thst causes it to get super hard when exposed to water. To apply it, I use Elmer's glue thinned with a bit of water painted straight onto the model's base after construction. Immediately after applying the glue, dip the base in some poly sand and tap off the excess. Let the model dry and then prime it. Then use your choice of high contrast drybrush colors. My favorite is Abaddon Black drybrushed with light grey and Ceramite White. Burnt brown and bone white are good choices too. After the paint dries you can apply flock, static grass or other things as you like.

Can you post a picture, sounds like a good idea.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I’d love to see everyone post their hobby stations, paint racks, airbrush setups, and wet palettes.

I’d go first but I don’t have any :smith:

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Not pictured: Tubs of unpainted minis from like 12 different factions. My spraypaint, airbrush, and unopened boxes of stuff are in the cabinet below.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I have a shambles "painting station" because I have a tray that I put some minis and paint gear on so I can move to the lounge and set myself up.

JBP fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Apr 25, 2019

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I hope to have this many paints someday.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

I said come in! posted:

I hope to have this many paints someday.

I wouldn't wish paint addiction on anyone :homebrew:

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Yeast posted:

I wouldn't wish paint addiction on anyone :homebrew:

Amen. It is a curse.

"I just don't have the shade of yellow I need!"

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

tehsid posted:

"I just don't have the shade of yellow I need!"

Seems silly to only buy one pot of paint while I'm here.

Meeple
Dec 29, 2009

Yeast posted:

Seems silly to only buy one pot of paint while I'm here.

I bet <other manufacturer's> yellow/white/red covers better than this one (the only gw layer paints I use are the bone/flesh shades).

Here's my portable painting case. When I'm not using that I'm in my home office/plastic graveyard. Just imagine paints and boxes of models on most flat surfaces and you won't be far off.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
Speaking of an unintentionally related issue. Yellows and reds. Who seems to have the best coverage? I haven't minded GW's but it feels super thick and hard to thin down to anything usable.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Tamiya XF-12 for all your yellow needs.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I've actually been having a great time trying out the new GW base and layer yellow. It's takes a few coats but it's a good solid yellow. Vallejo air for big things is very reliable out of the airbrush

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I'm a complete sucker for Scale 75. I try to use it for everything.

P3 also make some lovely Yellows and Reds.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Flocking hell

I'm not happy with it, but I need to stop at some point of my 1st squad in nearly 20 years.

I put some brown wash on the moss, put static grass on top, dry brushed some brown onto the grass. Minastourm Varnish to end it.

I need to use a lot less flock next time. I think I'll leave the feet muddy and have the grass on the edge, to show where previous Guardsman have trod. Add a splotch of red for dried blood on one or two of them.

I need to paint the end of the lasgun barrel some colour not silver as though it was firing- Yellow maybe? Maybe a yellow with a red glaze? Any GW paint suggestions for lasgun fire? Also, I want to use a glaze on something.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Started painting again this week after a couple months off

(The guy on the right I did a while ago, but he needed some new glowing friends)

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

'sup Sistema wet palette buddy! That thing is an absolutely perfect fit for disposable sponges, and even has an in-built water reservoir :)

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Seconding Scale75. They're crazy pigment-dense.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

richyp posted:

Started painting again this week after a couple months off

(The guy on the right I did a while ago, but he needed some new glowing friends)

I'm the guy second from the left without a plasma gun but glowing anyway because he's afraid of not fitting in.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I'm the guy second from the left without a plasma gun but glowing anyway because he's afraid of not fitting in.

He's blue with envy.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I’d love to see everyone post their hobby stations, paint racks, airbrush setups, and wet palettes.

I’d go first but I don’t have any :smith:

It gets the job done, but i usually assemble mini's somewhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
X-posting:

Been majorly slacking lately, but finally getting back into the swing of things. Finished up my first Shadowspear dudes, they're pretty cool models with a few tweaks:

Also bashed together this company champion:

Which completes Uriel Ventris' command squad The Swords of Calth:

Apothecary Selenus, Company Champion Petronius Nero, Ancient Peleus, and Brothers Hadrianus and Cyprian.